TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #781
FiosUser

So is this thread going to be dead now?

Can't wait to get home and perform the connect. Bye-bye attenuators and hello to a good picture once again!
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #782
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Note: It's been over 24 hours tuned to channel 230 with 0 RS corrected/uncorrected errors. I'll go out on a limb here and say they nailed this one. Woo hoo !
Okay, I was doubtful when I read your earlier post...but you're right. Watching TiVo 24 hours a day is really a bit much. Hope that new job at TiVo comes your way soon!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #783
dvdguru

I have TWC (not Fios) and have been having the same problems as the fios people. I'm a new tivo customer (bought the 1tb hd tivo) in april and have had the pixellation/stuttering/sound dropout problems the whole time. TWC came out and removed the house amp and it didn't help
without still using the attenuation.

I got the bag of attenuators and have tried a thousand different db combinations. It helped some but I still had audio dropouts, recordings that would speed up roughly 20 seconds and then start to play, pixellation, etc.

I got the update this morning and removed the attenuators and all seems to be good so far. No droupouts or anything, just a steady feed from the cable company. Now, this is live tv but I'm going to be watching recorded material over the weekend but so far this update ROCKS! I used to have dropouts w/in the first few seconds of playing recorded programs and I just checked and that problem is gone too.

Thanks to tivo for the update as 2 weeks ago I was ready to call them and swap out my brand new tivo. I read about the update on this site and thought "well, I guess I can tolerate this thing for a few more weeks and see how the update goes". So far I'm extremely happy I waited.

This update so far has me as a new customer from thinking "I believe I just wasted a thousand dollars on this thing" to "ok, this is what I was expecting performance-wise when I bought this Tivo."

Thank you Tivo for fixing this. I don't care whose fault it was just that it was fixed

Last edited by dvdguru : 07-16-2009 at 08:55 PM.
dvdguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #784
FiosUser

I found 11.d waiting for me when I got home.

My Tivo is now naked of extra screw-ons! The picture is a lot better too (on USA HD like everyone is saying. Also my Discovery HD now isn't pixelated anymore.)
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 AM   #785
richsadams

USAHD Macroblocking Post v11.0d?

Per my earlier post we received v11.0d on the 14th. All looked good until tonight when we were watching Burn Notice on USAHD (which had previously shown macroblocking/pixelization w/high RS Uncorrected errors). During the opening of the show one scene cross-fade showed some serious problems. The rest of the show was fine. I checked the diagnostics later and the channel showed zero RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors, but that was after the show had already aired.

Here's a link to a brief YouTube clip showing the problem in normal and slo-mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQ_qoU07TA

Just curious if anyone else had recorded it and noted the same thing. If so I can attribute it to the program and not TiVo. It doesn't show up as poorly in the YouTube video but the artifacts are pretty bad when you actually watch it. The scene just prior to the breakup (two yachts on the water) was in stop motion (intentional I believe) and my gut tells me it was a program/broadcast issue but just wanted confirmation if others had seen the same thing.

FWIW although I think USAHD's PQ has improved since v11.0d, the quality of this particular recording didn't seem any better and in fact not as good as some others.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #786
ehagberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQ_qoU07TA

Just curious if anyone else had recorded it and noted the same thing. If so I can attribute it to the program and not TiVo. It doesn't show up as poorly in the YouTube video but the artifacts are pretty bad when you actually watch it. The scene just prior to the breakup (two yachts on the water) was in stop motion (intentional I believe) and my gut tells me it was a program/broadcast issue but just wanted confirmation if others had seen the same thing.
I see the same thing in my recording. Looks to me like it was an intentional fade effect and nothing actually wrong.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #787
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
I see the same thing in my recording. Looks to me like it was an intentional fade effect and nothing actually wrong.
Glad to hear that. If it was a "creative" cross-fade it was terrible. The first part worked, but then the picture broke up...might have been intentional but it didn't work IMO. What lousy timing for us.

Thanks for checking!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #788
leeherman

I received the latest software update on both my HD and S3.

The HD was having some serious problems on certain channels, but as of last night I see no pixelization and no errors, corrected or uncorrected.

Great job Tivo!

Thanks!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #789
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Glad to hear that. If it was a "creative" cross-fade it was terrible. The first part worked, but then the picture broke up...might have been intentional but it didn't work IMO. What lousy timing for us.

Thanks for checking!
You FIOS people live in a strange pampered world! (Now that you have 11.0d) If TWC customers with Tuning Adapters posted every time we saw a little glitch like that, the forum would be flooded.

(See the official Time Warner Cable thread and the Time Warner Cable Tuning Adapter thread for examples.)

Oh well, we're happy for you! (We want FIOS! We want FIOS!)

BTW, how much does FIOS cost you, including cable card(s)? I shouldn't ask because the answer will probably just make me feel worse because it's less than what I'm paying for TWC. Then there's the copy protection thing.....

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #790
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:

Thanks for checking!
And I thought I was watching too much TV

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #791
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

BTW, how much does FIOS cost you, including cable card(s)? I shouldn't ask because the answer will probably just make me feel worse because it's less than what I'm paying for TWC. Then there's the copy protection thing.....
It depends on the package. Triple Freedom includes landline telephone, Internet and TV. Here's my bill:

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #792
ah30k

On that shown bill, I had the $99 triple play package with Premier but my contract recently expired and I learned the hard way that they bump you to a'la'carte pricing which is $150 rather than the bundle price of $99.

Also, they don't offer Premier anymore so you need to go down to basic for $99 bundle (only about 7 HD channels) or move up to extreme for $120 bundle.

Moving from the now extinct Premier @ $99 to the Extreme @ $120 got me more HD channels but I don't know if it is worth the extra $20/month over Premier. Doesn't really matter though since Premier is extinct. The Basic $99 was a non-starter for me since the HD is sooo limited.

Bottom line now is that your FIOS choices are
Basic Triple Play with about 7 HD channels = $99
Extremen Triple Play with a full slate of HD = $120
Any Movie or sports packages = extra (although the Extreme seems to have many HD sports already)
CableCards = $3.99 each (or $2.99 if grandfathered in)
Digital Adapters (for S2s) = $3.99 each I think (or free if grandfathered in)
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #793
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
If a signal is out of spec, or sometimes differs from the spec used by cable companies, does that make it TiVo's fault?
Yes, it does. Tivo is supposed to ask Verizon if there is anything special about their signal BEFORE they design the box or claim FIOS compatibility with an existing box. After all, Verizon isn't part of CableLabs and yet the Tivo was designed to work only with CableLabs networks. I think it's reasonable to assume there could there be some problems.

I am glad it finally works. I may switch from DirecTV to FIOS next year as well as upgrade to HD, and it would be nice to get another Tivo.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #794
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
On that shown bill, I had the $99 triple play package with Premier but my contract recently expired and I learned the hard way that they bump you to a'la'carte pricing which is $150 rather than the bundle price of $99.

Also, they don't offer Premier anymore so you need to go down to basic for $99 bundle (only about 7 HD channels) or move up to extreme for $120 bundle.

Moving from the now extinct Premier @ $99 to the Extreme @ $120 got me more HD channels but I don't know if it is worth the extra $20/month over Premier. Doesn't really matter though since Premier is extinct. The Basic $99 was a non-starter for me since the HD is sooo limited.

Bottom line now is that your FIOS choices are
Basic Triple Play with about 7 HD channels = $99
Extremen Triple Play with a full slate of HD = $120
Any Movie or sports packages = extra (although the Extreme seems to have many HD sports already)
CableCards = $3.99 each (or $2.99 if grandfathered in)
Digital Adapters (for S2s) = $3.99 each I think (or free if grandfathered in)
Here's what I found when I looked into changing my existing plan. These numbers look different than the ones you quoted. You might try going online to your Verizon account to see what you come up with ?

One thing I did notice was the $99 plan shows 15/5 Internet instead of my current 20/5.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #795
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Is the phone service in these bundles traditional copper wired or also via fiber?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #796
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Is the phone service in these bundles traditional copper wired or also via fiber?
Fiber to the ONT (termination on premises) - then POTS inside the house. Twisted pair from the street is replaced by fiber.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #797
richsadams

Quote:
It depends on the package. Triple Freedom includes landline telephone, Internet and TV. Here's my bill:
Ours is pretty close to that as well. We have another movie package and Setanta Sports channel (+$14.94/mo.).

The total is about $50 less per month than we were paying Comcast plus we have more premium channels as well as a lot more HD channels to choose from. The price is locked for two-years and they also gave us a $150 Visa card for signing up. I think you can get a free Netbook now (glad they offered cash at the time as we're more-or-less all Mac here). Costs a bundle to get out of the contract though so I was sweating a few bullets about switching with the PQ thing, but it all turned out just fine.

EDIT: Forgot to add that we have 20/5 broadband.

Last edited by richsadams : 07-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #798
ah30k

Quote:
Here's what I found when I looked into changing my existing plan. These numbers look different than the ones you quoted. You might try going online to your Verizon account to see what you come up with ?

One thing I did notice was the $99 plan shows 15/5 Internet instead of my current 20/5.
Here are the ones that show up for me

(the $99 non-extreme package does not seem to be showing now but it did yestersay ?)

Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #799
ah30k

We're getting way off topic, but... I guess pricing depends on which franchise you are in.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #800
bkdtv

New York and New Jersey customers generally pay less. NYC customers get 35/15 service for the same price as 15/5 service in many areas.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #801
dmeleedy

Just to followup on my earlier frustrated post.
I got the Tivo updated software and after that things were
much much better. But I still noticed a slight amount
of pixellation, so I removed the attenuator that was on the line
(20db). After that the signal strength went from 60ish, to 100.
The SNR is at 36->37 db. I haven't seen any RS Uncorrected
or even Corrected errors.

Thanks Jerry, and the folks at Tivo.
dmeleedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #802
modular46

I finally got 11.0D myself and I've removed all attenuation as well and the picture looks great. No pixelation. Great job Tivo for fixing this issue.

Dave
modular46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #803
y8s

I have 11.0d and my comedy central HD (channel 690 / 855000 KHz) is all over the place signal wise. I was getting "searching for signal" messages popping up so I removed all but the Verizon installed attenuator and the SNR went up a little but the errors (both) still kept increasing. I removed the last attenuator and Corrected errors still increase at a regular rate with the RS Uncorrected increasing occasionally (every few minutes it'll jump up). Strength bounces between 68 and 75 and SNR is at 33 or 32.

Other tuner is on channel 664 (Food HD) 597 MHz and 100 strength / 37-38db and seems stable.

oh
wait

strength dropped down to 50 and uncorrected errors started increasing as I was typing. then signal, SNR and RS all went to "-" for a moment.

Not good..
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #804
Ziggy86

So has this issue been resolved for most people? I have not seen a post here for about a week.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #805
substance12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
So has this issue been resolved for most people? I have not seen a post here for about a week.
there were 2 channels in particular that were problematic for me. I haven't watched 1 of them too much but the other I have watched an average amount. verdict: problem solved. I took off an ugly mess of attenuators and splitters. My signal is 100% str and 38snr. I wanted to wait a few weeks before posting. will post back again in a few weeks if things go negative.
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #806
DeWitt

Quote:
Mine has been perfect. I removed all my attenuation. Signal strength is usually at or near 100 and I see 0 uncorrected 0 uncorrected errors even on what where the worst channels.

Not only is the picture perfect (Pun intended...) but I have not had a spontaneous reboot since 11.0d installed. It used to be a fairly common occurrence on the problem channels.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #807
FiosUser

Case closed for me.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM   #808
evlg

I didn't have too many problems with pixelation, but since 11.0d came out my RS Uncorrected is 0 every time i look at it.

I do see some errors in channels (in particular, National Geographic channel this Sunday morning). The RS Uncorrected was still 0, leading me to believe the problems were in the head end or somewhere further upstream. But the video and audio glitches were quite annoying.
evlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #809
Ziggy86

I have Time Warner cable here in NY and I see pixellation from time to time, testerday was very bad but only on HBO HD channels and maybe because we were having bas thunderstorms.

Here is my question, when I see pixelation I go immediately to the diagnostics screen and I see NO error, should I not see errors in diagnostics if there is pixellation?

Steven
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #810
bkdtv

Quote:
I have Time Warner cable here in NY and I see pixellation from time to time, testerday was very bad but only on HBO HD channels and maybe because we were having bas thunderstorms.

Here is my question, when I see pixelation I go immediately to the diagnostics screen and I see NO error, should I not see errors in diagnostics if there is pixellation?
The RS Uncorrected errors always increment, regardless of whether you are on the DVR Diagnostics screen. They error count only resets when (a) you change channels, (b) when a recording starts, and (c) when a recording ends.

HBOHD is highly compressed so it tends to exhibit compression artifacts during movement and scene transitions. This has nothing to do with the signal or the TiVo.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote