TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #751
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IIRC TiVo firmware is never, has never been upgraded, only the software. Could be wrong but IIRC that was a statement made by Jerry or Stephen or someone at TiVo a while back.
AFAIK, they do have drivers that rely on the chip makers to update. So its possible it was a 3rd party driver or firmware change, but TiVo rarely makes information like this public so we have no way of knowing. I really doesn't seem like it could of been fixed with a simple software update. My guess is it required a driver update and software could of changed to work with the new driver changes.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #752
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
what about those of us that never had a problem with FIOS?
I had pixillation problems for the first 10 months or so of FIOS, but it had cleared up pretty well before I received this software version.

Since receiving the software, I've continued to experience no problems whatsoever (and I see the "pegged 100%" signal quality everyone else does, where I didn't before).
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #753
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
AFAIK, they do have drivers that rely on the chip makers to update. So its possible it was a 3rd party driver or firmware change, but TiVo rarely makes information like this public so we have no way of knowing. I really doesn't seem like it could of been fixed with a simple software update. My guess is it required a driver update and software could of changed to work with the new driver changes.
I think that is highly likely as well.

At bootup, the TiVo loads separate Linux drivers for the Broadcom DVR CPU (bcm7401_C1), ATI ATSC/QAM demodulator (ati314_Gen06), and VIXS XCode (xcode2drv), among others.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #754
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I think that is highly likely as well.

At bootup, the TiVo loads separate Linux drivers for the Broadcom DVR CPU (bcm7401_C1), ATI ATSC/QAM demodulator (ati314_Gen06), and VIXS XCode (xcode2drv), among others.
That would be good news indeed. I always felt like my TiVo's were just sitting there getting further and further behind while other things like CC's, etc. were getting firmware updates that resulted in improved operations.

Oh Jerry...can you comment? Does TiVo occasionally push firmware updates?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #755
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Oh Jerry...can you comment? Does TiVo occasionally push firmware updates?
Most other DVR manufacturers load drivers from flash memory (i.e. firmware), but TiVo does not. On TiVo, all of the software, including the drivers, load from the hard drive just as on your PC. That's one reason why bad sectors on the drive can cause so many problems.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #756
richsadams

Quote:
Most other DVR manufacturers load drivers from flash memory (i.e. firmware), but TiVo does not. On TiVo, all of the software, including the drivers, load from the hard drive just as on your PC. That's one reason why bad sectors on the drive can cause so many problems.
More evidence and makes perfect sense.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #757
rifleman69

d works for me for every channel that I watch (so there could still be others) except for UHD which is still dialed in at 31 SNR but the error count jumps by the hundreds/thousands. Most likely a Verizon issue, I don't normally watch that channel but for a few times but it's pretty bad.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #758
bkdtv

rifleman -- Have you tried removing your attenuation?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #759
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Thumbs up All good in Tivo / NJ FIOS paradise

Re-Post from another thread, thought it may be relevant here as well

I have had .d now for approx 1 week, removed the -20db attenuator, signal strength back to 100, 37db.

I have left the tuners on the 2 most problematic channes for me (DiscHD and FoodHD) over the weekend. Happy to report Uncorrected errors stayed at 0 for both tuners and not a single pixellation.

WHOOT WHOOT

YAY

Thank you Tivo

Gman

ps, I know many are still in the que for the update..... perform a "Kickstart 51" on a daily basis, it may help
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #760
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
ps, I know many are still in the que for the update..... perform a "Kickstart 51" on a daily basis, it may help
From previous comments from Jerry, there is no way to move up in the queue.

My number came up yesterday. I removed all attenuation and can also report great success. 100 signal strength, 0 uncorrected errors.

Looks like a winner!
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #761
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
We have just made the decision to roll 11.0d to the rest of the units in the field. Barring any unforeseen delays, all HD DVRs will have it by this weekend so there isn't a need for a priority list.
Hurrrrraay!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #762
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
This will not in any way cause our servers to deliver SW to you sooner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #763
rifleman69

Quote:
rifleman -- Have you tried removing your attenuation?
Doing that tonight, but have noticed that several other channels that had pixellation (nothing as bad as UHD) were rock solid with the attenuation so figured that UHD might be in the same boat. Will report back tonight.

I don't have any other way to check if UHD is just simply bad at my house due to only having a non-HD receiver on the only other tv in the house, just throwing that out there before someone else mentions it.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #764
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

/\/\3 +00

Add me to the list -

My THD was having fits with TCM (230) - RS corrected/uncorrected out the wazoo. 9db of attenuation made it watchable. 11.0d came down last night and it looks like RS corrected/uncorrected are at 0 after about an hour of tuning/watching. That's with and without the attenuation (which is now removed).

Good job, TiVo

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #765
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
This will not in any way cause our servers to deliver SW to you sooner.
No it won't force your servers to deliver the .d SW when it has not been approved yet but you should recognize that if my TSN number is in the approved que for that day and my S3 is set to check in only at 4am (while I sleep), doing a Kickstart 51 at 2pm in the afternoon will force the unit to upgrade the approved (by TSN) SW rather than waiting do do it automatically later on.

I stand corrected, see below post

Gman

Last edited by GmanTiVo : 07-15-2009 at 03:00 PM.
GmanTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #766
bkdtv

Quote:
No it won't force your servers to deliver the .d SW when it has not been approved yet but you should recognize that if my TSN number is in the approved que for that day and my S3 is set to check in only at 4am (while I sleep), doing a Kickstart 51 at 2pm in the afternoon will force the unit to upgrade the approved (by TSN) SW rather than waiting do do it automatically later on.
Please don't confuse people. No one should run Kickstart to install the new software.

Any reboot or restart will immediately install software if it was downloaded during the last connection.

You can check to see whether the new software is on your TiVo, waiting for install, under Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Phone & Network. "Pending Restart" means that your TiVo has the new software ready for install. If the software is on your TiVo and ready for install, you can install it immediately by restarting your TiVo under Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset TiVo -> Restart the TiVo DVR.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #767
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Please don't confuse people. No one should run Kickstart to install the new software.

Any reboot or restart will immediately install software if it was downloaded during the last connection.

You can check to see whether the new software is on your TiVo, waiting for install, under Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Phone & Network. "Pending Restart" means that your TiVo has the new software ready for install. If the software is on your TiVo and ready for install, you can install it immediately by restarting your TiVo under Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset TiVo -> Restart the TiVo DVR.
Thank you for the clarification, I am glad I did no damage to my Tivo by doing something else.

Gman
Old 07-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #768
leeherman

I switched to FIOS in late March and have had some serious pixelization issues on certain channels with my bedroom Tivo HD and rare issues with my living room S3.

I bought attenuators but never got around to installing them. I'll be looking forward to receiving the new update and testing the results, especially on the bedroom Tivo. I'll update when I receive and test the software.

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #769
rifleman69

An update, UHD looks to be good so far, but I've noticed that before the pixellation would come and go on certain programs. Will look at it more tonight and tomorrow to see if it holds, removed all attenuation for now (Actually I have a splitter being used in the back and haven't removed that but still went from 18db to 2db or so).
Old 07-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #770
bkdtv

Note UHD is highly compressed by Universal, so you will see compression artifacts. This update won't do anything about compression artifacts that are already part of the original picture signal. But it should eliminate the pixelization caused by signal errors (i.e. massive numbers of RS Uncorrected errors under System Information -> DVR Diagnostics).
Old 07-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #771
vurbano

Hope I get the update soon.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #772
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

We just mapped the final batch of units. If you don't have SW yet, you can make a connection to get it now. Otherwise it will download automatically on your next regular service connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #773
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
We just mapped the final batch of units. If you don't have SW yet, you can make a connection to get it now. Otherwise it will download automatically on your next regular service connection.
Thanks again Jerry. BTW, are you guys hiring? I've been out of work for about 3 months now and watching way too much TV. Good thing I have my TiVos

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #774
rifleman69

Quote:
Note UHD is highly compressed by Universal, so you will see compression artifacts. This update won't do anything about compression artifacts that are already part of the original picture signal. But it should eliminate the pixelization caused by signal errors (i.e. massive numbers of RS Uncorrected errors under System Information -> DVR Diagnostics).

It's not the compression artifacts, it's definitely pixellation that I had on that channel. The uncorrected and corrected errors jumped up by the hundreds/thousands.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #775
almahix

Thanks to everyone for the information and the regular updates. The guy I spoke to at Tivo about this recently was full of BS with regard to how the updates were to be rolled out by 'region'. Seems more like random vs geography. All my Tivo HDs woke up this morning with 11.0.d, and so far, the channels that were the worst, 50, 51, and 240, are all free of uncorrected errors. I'll be watching those numbers closely for a while, hopefully we've all seen the last of this pixellation problem. I'm surprised that Verizon was so tolerant and helpful when it wasn't even their problem.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #776
vurbano

Quote:
Came home from work and it was downloaded. Reset the units and now both are updated. I checked one channel, USA Ch50 an SD channel. It was the first one I saw when I got FIOS and it was macroblocking like crazy before the update. All of SD channels were unstable but since I only watch HD on the tivoHD's it didnt matter. Now with 11.0.d it looks great and very stable. I suspect it has fixed all of the SD channels. On the HD channels there were only occasional signs of a problem so it will take longer to evaluate them.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #777
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by almahix View Post
I'll be watching those numbers closely for a while, hopefully we've all seen the last of this pixellation problem. I'm surprised that Verizon was so tolerant and helpful when it wasn't even their problem.
If a signal is out of spec, or sometimes differs from the spec used by cable companies, does that make it TiVo's fault? I agree it was TiVo's responsibility to fix, but I don't think we know enough to assign the blame to TiVo. Many (but not all) CableCard TVs still exhibit the same problem, as do the CableCard tuners for Vista Media Center PCs.

I do appreciate that TiVo (and its partners) spent the time to create a workaround. It's just unfortunate that it didn't happen sooner.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #778
vurbano

Well by fixing it they have really opened up another market (Fios) for the tivo unit IMO. The SD channels were unwatchable here before the fix and I was flat out lied to by my installer. "Oh our signal levels don't get that high"
Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #779
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the information and the regular updates. The guy I spoke to at Tivo about this recently was full of BS with regard to how the updates were to be rolled out by 'region'. Seems more like random vs geography.
It seems like there are always a few agents who like to either make up stories about various subjects they know little about, or give an answer just to sound like they know something. I don't know why he didn't just admit "I'm not sure how that works but I'm sure you'll get it very soon."

Quote:
I'm surprised that Verizon was so tolerant and helpful when it wasn't even their problem.
What makes you draw that conclusion? IIRC {i.e. the following statement could be wrong}, I thought I'd read that Tivo was working with Fios in a joint venture to figure this thing out. If so, I don't think anyone here is in a position to state for sure what the cause was.

Like many here, I'd be curious to know the answer but I also know that a detailed explanation is unlikely. I doubt either company will want to point fingers now that it is resolved.....or maybe it's the start of a new and bee-you-tiful Verizon & Tivo relationship!!!
Hey, you never know....
Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #780
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatraz View Post
... maybe it's the start of a new and bee-you-tiful Verizon & Tivo relationship!!!
Hey, you never know....
Mheh heh. It's funny that the next time they show Casablanca on TCM (230) it will actually be watchable - thanks to 11.0d

Note: It's been over 24 hours tuned to channel 230 with 0 RS corrected/uncorrected errors. I'll go out on a limb here and say they nailed this one. Woo hoo !

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime