TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #301
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
ONT = Optical Network Terminal -- the big box on (probably) the outside of your house. This is where the laser is.
Um, well sort of. The upstream signals for broadband service and 2-way services are modulated into a LASER at the ONT, but the LASER which produces the signals for his TV reception is back at the headend.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #302
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Lowes stocks diplexers for $8.98, and F-Terminators for $2.97/4 or $5.97/10.
That's a 2.1Ghz diplexer. It won't help at all. You need a diplexer or Low Pass Filter with a cutoff around 900MHz. Much higher than that and it won't attenuate the MOCA carrier. Much lower and you'll lose some channels.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #303
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's a 2.1Ghz diplexer. It won't help at all. You need a diplexer or Low Pass Filter with a cutoff around 900MHz.
You DID read the post where I said it didn't help, right? In all actuality, now that you bring it up, I'm not sure that the one I bought was 2.1ghz or 900mhz. If I did buy the 2.1ghz version, it's definitely an oversight on my part, but there's no real need to rehash it.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #304
lrhorer

Quote:
You DID read the post where I said it didn't help, right? In all actuality, now that you bring it up, I'm not sure that the one I bought was 2.1ghz or 900mhz. If I did buy the 2.1ghz version, it's definitely an oversight on my part, but there's no real need to rehash it.
Yes, I read it. My point was it never had a chance of helping. A 900MHz diplexer with the high pass port properly terminated, or an 850 - 1000MHz low pass filter will eliminate any spurious signals above 1000MHz (like the MOCA carrier). This in turn can help eliminate pixelization in the Tivo, but ony if the MOCA carrier is part of the problem being experienced by the user at hand.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #305
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I don't recall the TiVo's actual sensitivity specs, but a full spectrum with no carrier much higher than -10dBmV and no carrier lower than -20dBmV should be fine.
Ha. Wishful thinking. The TiVo HD tuners are, in my opinion, a P.O.S. I define P.O.S. as meaning "far inferior to the tuners in cable company STBs". Just look at all the complaints. These forums would be far quieter if the tuners were up to snuff.

Personally, I only have anecdotal evidence of this. But in my case my TiVo HD was very flaky with input of -9dBmV, began working robustly when I added a +15dB amp. Of course, cable company boxes work fine in my house without needing distribution amps.

Unfortunately the only "signal strength meter" I have is the status page in my Motorola cable modem. So the great caveat with my single-data-point anecdote is that the signal strength of the Internet I receive is "about the same" as the video channels.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #306
david(dallas)

I have had my TIVO w/cable card for over 1 month and I just started seeing this issue on a few local network channels. Problem doesn't exist on the Fiso receiver. My number if 37ish.
My question is would this be my problem if it just started happening or would I have had this problem since day one.
I guess I can try this fix and go from there.
If it doesn't fix it, what next, Call TIVO or Verison FISO?
david(dallas) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #307
webin

If you try the attenuators, and are unhappy with the results, I think your next step should be to contact verzion "fios", and ask if a tech could come out to help you troubleshoot.... make sure you know whether or not they will charge you a service fee for the visit.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #308
Gregor

Noticed some 'weirdness' while doing some testing today.

I put the 4002IFD diplexer on yesterday and didn't notice much (if any) improvement while watching ABC yesterday, so this morning I took it off and decided to try a bunch of different attenuators and log the results

Code:

channel 514 (ABC, 519000kHz)

Att  SigStrn  SNR
0     90/100  36
20    50      28
10    86/90   34
16    68      31
13    77      32  
3     100      36
I then set the attenuation to 13 and started flipping through the HD channels.

When I got to channel 866, SHOWHDP (183000 kHz), it would not display. I could only get the channel to display at 0 or 3 attenuation, where the SS was 100 and the SNR 36.

Even at 6 attenuation, I get a black screen.

It's on the same tuner, and has a similar SS when unattenuated, so why won't the channel display at a similar attenuation?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #309
sinanju

I had FiOS installed Thursday. I mentioned this issue to the installer and he left a handful of attenuators with me. Last night I noticed one of my SD channels pixelating. So I popped a 6dB on and all is right with the world. I'm not down to a S/N of 31dB... more like 34-35... but that one bad channel is now experiencing no errors.

I have none of their equipment except the CableCARDs and I insisted on using my own router, so there's no MOCA to deal with.

EDIT:

Not all is right with the world... more below...

Last edited by sinanju : 10-22-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: bad news
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #310
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

Yet another source for the Attenuators:

https://www.mcmelectronics.com/searc...ator%20Pad

Promo Code EMC073 may get you another 10% off, last time I checked.
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #311
cuyahoga

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post

I have none of their equipment except the CableCARDs and I insisted on using my own router, so there's no MOCA to deal with.
You were able to pull this off?

Its exactly what I'd like to do. The use of their router is what was holding me back from making the switch.

Any magic words I need to say in order to make this happen?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #312
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
"I'm not using your router; I don't need it because I have none of your equipment besides CableCARDs... nothing requires MOCA"

They'll have to reconfigure the ONT for ethernet, but it's perfectly doable.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #313
webin

Quote:
You were able to pull this off?

Its exactly what I'd like to do. The use of their router is what was holding me back from making the switch.

It sounds like you may be a bit of a technical guy (based on the fact you show disdain for the actiontec router). They provide their router for free, but if you have your own available and ready when the tech arrives (and you know how to access and configure it), I'm fairly certain the tech will let you and maybe help you get things up and running with your own equipment instead of theirs. It's also possible to make configuration changes yourself after the fact (you'll need to scrape these forums for posts about using your own router). You'll likely need to make a call to the Fiber Solutions Center with information (MAC address) of your router. This also assumes you have an ethernet cable running from the ONT to your router for ethernet, and coax from ONT to TV for... TV.

I was running my internet over moca for a while, but switched it to an existing ethernet cable (from an old pre-tv configuration). After plugging the ethernet into the ONT, I reset my router and called FSC. They turned moca off on the ONT and turned on ethernet, and I was up and running again. I could swap out their actiontec for my old linksys and make a similar call.

I'm rambling. Sorry about it.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #314
cuyahoga

Quote:
It sounds like you may be a bit of a technical guy (based on the fact you show disdain for the actiontec router)...

I'm rambling. Sorry about it.
No, feel free to ramble away! Both you and sinanju have very helpful ramblings.

So, the ONT will tie into my existing coax for the TiVOs and Verizon can be convinced to run CAT-5 (or whatever category ethernet they like) into my existing router from the ONT for network.

Nice.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #315
sinanju

Quote:
No, feel free to ramble away! Both you and sinanju have very helpful ramblings.

So, the ONT will tie into my existing coax for the TiVOs and Verizon can be convinced to run CAT-5 (or whatever category ethernet they like) into my existing router from the ONT for network.

Nice.
When I did a renovation, I had the electrician run power, coax, phone, and two CAT 5e ports to the space under my stairs. When I had Comcast and Vonage, the Vonage box pluged into the house phone wiring with a simple patch cable. The coax ran to the cable modem. The ethernet ports were connected to the router, also under the stairs, and ran to the office and the entertainment center for the TiVo.

Now that I have the ONT from FiOS, the phone patch cable runs from the house port to it instead of the Vonage box. The coax was turned around on the splitter in the cellar so the space under the stairs is the input to the system rather one of the outputs (since the cable modem is now out of business), and the ethernet comes directly from the ONT to the router.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #316
sinanju

Errors on QAMs in the low 100MHz range

I'm getting corrected errors along with the occasional rash of uncorrected errors resulting in pixelation on the HD channels that share QAMs at 111, 117, and 123 MHz. On rare occasions 135 MHz experiences it, too. 123 is the most likely to lapse into pixelation. With the exception of the pixelation storms, the channels on 123 MHz seem to tick along at an average of 3 corrected errors/second with none uncorrected, though the count does not increment steadily.

The attenuation fix has already been applied -- the Verizon tech actually spent a while getting things just right. MOCA is not enabled on the ONT and I double-checked that the light is off. All other channels are rock solid. I've raised and lowered the temperature of the unit by a full degree on either side of the common operating temperature and it doesn't seem to be related.

Verizon is still looking into things, but I was curious to know if anyone else had an idea.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #317
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Here's a question. Do we actually know for a fact that enabling the ethernet port on the ONT prevents MoCA traffic on the coax feed? Or am I just making an assumption that it might work that way?

If the main reason to use the ethernet port on the ONT is to 86 the Craptiontec that's all well and good. I ask since I, and lots of other apparently, find MoCA to be a good thing seeing that we use NIMs to provide wired ethernet to locations where we don't/can't have CAT5/6 runs.

Others who are having problems with their S3's due to MoCA chatter might be interested as well - they might think that they're taking MoCA out of play by losing the Actiontec when in actuality the MoCA is still there.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #318
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Here's a question. Do we actually know for a fact that enabling the ethernet port on the ONT prevents MoCA traffic on the coax feed? Or am I just making an assumption that it might work that way?
I think that seeing the MoCA light out on the ONT is a good way to know it's dead.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #319
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I think that seeing the MoCA light out on the ONT is a good way to know it's dead.
And is your (or anyone's) MoCA light out ?

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #320
webin

Quote:
My moca light is out because I specifically set up the ethernet connection to provide internet service, called Verizon, and had the Moca turned off. I also disconnected the run of coax that was going to my actiontec.

It had no noticeable influence on my pixellation.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #321
substance12

rs uncorrected corrected errors

I started noticing additional pixelation and audio drop outs (randomly of course) since the fios HD channel realignment. anyways, I started paying more attention to the diagnostics page and it seems (from my brief observations) that tuner 0 has all the uncorrected and corrected errors while tuner 1 has almost none.

1) is this normal?
2) I have uncorrected and corrected errors in the 10-100 thousand range. is this also normal. Do those numbers ever work their way down to zero or does it just accumulate? And I don't necessarily get any pixelation/audio drop outs when it is in this range. Sort of random really.
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #322
sinanju

Quote:
Yes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #323
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
I started noticing additional pixelation and audio drop outs (randomly of course) since the fios HD channel realignment.

1) is this normal?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
2) I have uncorrected and corrected errors in the 10-100 thousand range. is this also normal. Do those numbers ever work their way down to zero or does it just accumulate? And I don't necessarily get any pixelation/audio drop outs when it is in this range. Sort of random really.
They are a running count. The count resets when the channel is changed.

Call Verizon. Complain. My theory is that the grand FiOS realignment opened up frequencies that were unused, previously. Those that experienced relief with attenuation under the old scheme may find channels have appeared on or been moved to frequencies with power levels too high or low.

A little bird had informed me that Verizon isn't all that interested in working with TiVo to figure out what's going on and fix it. If there is no way to get a completely usable lineup, and Verizon isn't interested in providing one or working with TiVo to achieve one, I may just end up going back to Comcast.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #324
richsadams

Quote:
A little bird had informed me that Verizon isn't all that interested in working with TiVo to figure out what's going on and fix it. If there is no way to get a completely usable lineup, and Verizon isn't interested in providing one or working with TiVo to achieve one, I may just end up going back to Comcast.
Interesting. I really want to switch to FIOS. VZ installed all of the lines on our street and apparently they've finally started connecting people up so I almost made the call. But it's posts like these that still have me on the fence.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #325
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Interesting. I really want to switch to FIOS. VZ installed all of the lines on our street and apparently they've finally started connecting people up so I almost made the call. But it's posts like these that still have me on the fence.
Well, I just got off the line with Verizon and they're escalating... so I will finally stop seeing trucks with all of their pretty attenuators.

I just discussed this with my wife... my plan was to torture Verizon until they either figured something out or one of us gave up. She wants to stick with them since only one of the unusable channels is one we watch and not that frequently... plus, there's an SD equivalent, which for that content is ok. Channels we do watch look very much better than they did on Comcast, since FiOS doesn't need to do the stupid 3 HD channels/QAM thing Comcast does.

So, it's your call. I understand your trepidation, though.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #326
JacksTiVo
TiVo User since 2001

As I posted on another thread, my pixelation & audio stuttering was caused by a bad eSATA cable connection on the My DVR Expander. If you have an eSATA connected hard drive on your S3 or HD TiVo and are willing to lose what is recorded on it, then try removing it and see if that corrects the problem you are having. (Disconnect via the TiVo instructions, don't just unplug it.)

BTW, for what it is worth, Verizon's tech support and field techs have been very responsive and well trained. They see very few TiVo units so they do not have much experience with them. My prior cable provider also had little knowledge about TiVo.

Sony SVR2000 S1 w/LT Turbonet - 11/01 (Not in use)
S2 - 6/04 - w/LT & 40hours
S2 - 12/05 - w/LT & 250 hours
S3 - 9/09 w/ LT & 1TB (sold)
Roamio Plus - w/LT & 1TB
FiOS Service

Last edited by JacksTiVo : 10-24-2008 at 07:45 AM.
JacksTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #327
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksTiVo View Post
As I posted on another thread, my pixelation & audio stuttering was caused by a bad eSATA cable connection on the My DVR Expander.
No storage expander here.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #328
FiosUser

Just thought I would report that today I got a diplexer from Home Depot (the only one they have, which was $9+)

I removed all my attenuators and put the diplexer in and all my pixelation is gone. The picture is better now too.

I put the cable from the wall going into the OUT of the diplexer (the side with only one opening) and then put a line to the Tivo from the ANT (not satellite) end of the diplexer.

Happy FIOS'ing!
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #329
Ziggy86

Keep us updated.

Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosUser View Post
Just thought I would report that today I got a diplexer from Home Depot (the only one they have, which was $9+)

I removed all my attenuators and put the diplexer in and all my pixelation is gone. The picture is better now too.

I put the cable from the wall going into the OUT of the diplexer (the side with only one opening) and then put a line to the Tivo from the ANT (not satellite) end of the diplexer.

Happy FIOS'ing!

Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #330
exdishguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosUser View Post

Happy FIOS'ing!
What diplexer did you buy? I can't see any on their web site.

I've tried the attenuators and it has helped. But I still get some pixelation. The Fios tech left me a low pass filter to try but that didn't work either.
exdishguy is offline   Reply With Quote