TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #121
SeanC
ECT

In preparation for TDSHD, is there some way to make this wishlist record from CCHD instead of CC?

If I set the HD flag now then nothing records because obviously even though the show is broadcast on an HD channel they have correctly not set the HD flag yet since it's not in HD.

As I think about it I think I'll just have to wait and change the HD flag when they go HD.

Crap.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #122
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
In preparation for TDSHD, is there some way to make this wishlist record from CCHD instead of CC?

If I set the HD flag now then nothing records because obviously even though the show is broadcast on an HD channel they have correctly not set the HD flag yet since it's not in HD.

As I think about it I think I'll just have to wait and change the HD flag when they go HD.

Crap.
Just remove the standard definition Comedy Central channel from your lineup.
Martin Tupper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #123
SeanC
ECT

I'd like to not do that. I want to record most CC stuff in standard def, and just TDS in HD.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #124
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Martin,

Since the return of TDS and TCR, the two WISHLISTS have not been working for me.

I can't figure out why, except maybe the way the Guide Data is flowing down to the TiVo.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #125
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I'd like to not do that. I want to record most CC stuff in standard def, and just TDS in HD.
Then I would recommend two TDS wishlists, one with the HD flag and one without. Give the HD wishlist higher priority. If there is good HD flag data, the HD wishlist will pick it up. If there isn't, the SD wishlist will record.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #126
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Martin,

Since the return of TDS and TCR, the two WISHLISTS have not been working for me.

I can't figure out why, except maybe the way the Guide Data is flowing down to the TiVo.
When you say they have not been working...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #127
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper View Post
Then I would recommend two TDS wishlists, one with the HD flag and one without. Give the HD wishlist higher priority. If there is good HD flag data, the HD wishlist will pick it up. If there isn't, the SD wishlist will record.
Ugh, duh, once you say it, it seems so bloody obvious.

Thanks that should work perfectly!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #128
pilotbob

Doh... I didn't even know there was a Comedy Central HD... but there it is, channell 690 on my FiOS lineup. Off to add HD wish lists.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #129
chrispatzman@yah

In this thread there has been mention of HD wishlists. I don't see anything labelled as HD when I create or edit my Jon Stewart wish list. I see something labelled as "best quality", "good quality" etc. Is this the HD flag that people mention?

Comedy Central HD just became available last week on my cable lineup. Since then it has changed from recording in SD to recording in HD. I actually want to make it go back to recording in SD. I changed recording from "best" to "good" but my To Do list still shows it recording on the HD channel. Do I need to create one wish that says "good quality" and put it higher than another that says "best"?
chrispatzman@yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #130
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispatzman@yah View Post
In this thread there has been mention of HD wishlists. I don't see anything labelled as HD when I create or edit my Jon Stewart wish list. I see something labelled as "best quality", "good quality" etc. Is this the HD flag that people mention?

Comedy Central HD just became available last week on my cable lineup. Since then it has changed from recording in SD to recording in HD. I actually want to make it go back to recording in SD. I changed recording from "best" to "good" but my To Do list still shows it recording on the HD channel. Do I need to create one wish that says "good quality" and put it higher than another that says "best"?
If you have a Series 3 or TiVoHD, you can specify the "category" as "HD" or "HD:Sports" or "HD:Sports:Football"
Old 09-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #131
alansh

Right. However, TDS is not flagged as "HD" even on CCHD (since it's not produced in HD), so it doesn't get picked up by a category of HD.

I got around it by deselecting the SD channel in channels I receive.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #132
doni49

Sorry to raise an old thread, but I've got similar issues. I'm a fan of a number of the new USA shows. But they don't seem to use these "generic" terms to describe re-runs. AFICT, the re-run's guide info is the same as the first run.

I went away for 2 weeks last winter and while I was gone, USA ran a Monk marathon. When I came home, I found that Tivo had recorded all of the re-runs--but deleted the NEW EPISODE that had already been recorded because there were 5 episodes to record after it had run. GRRRRR!

Now of course, the Monk series is about to end so it's a moot point on Monk. But how can I deal with this on the other shows in which the re-run's guide data doesn't seem to differ from the original?

TIA!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #133
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Just to eliminate the obvious, did you have your Season Pass™ set up for "First Run Only"?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #134
doni49

Yes. First Run Only.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #135
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Sorry, I'm stumped.

If the guide data is good, the First Run Only SP shouldn't have picked them up. Try looking at the detailed episode info and check the Original Air Dates
Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #136
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I'm missing something here. Are you guys getting TDS in HD? I record it off CCHD, but it's not HD quality.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #137
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni49 View Post
Sorry to raise an old thread, but I've got similar issues. I'm a fan of a number of the new USA shows. But they don't seem to use these "generic" terms to describe re-runs. AFICT, the re-run's guide info is the same as the first run.

I went away for 2 weeks last winter and while I was gone, USA ran a Monk marathon. When I came home, I found that Tivo had recorded all of the re-runs--but deleted the NEW EPISODE that had already been recorded because there were 5 episodes to record after it had run. GRRRRR!
Do you have any of those episodes still?

"enter" a specific episode (i.e. right on the remote) and hit the Info button.

Does it show an original air date?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #138
mattack

BTW, I haven't actually been using this workaround -- since Tivo's guide data has generally been good (except for Mondays) for a while now... but noticed that next week apparently is reruns.. It *may* be fixed by next week (it has sometimes in the past), sometimes it hasn't.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #139
LynnL999

Looks like TDS and Colbert will be transmitted in HD starting January 4.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #140
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Great news! I was just mentioning to my wife last night that I hoped when they came back from this break that they would be making the HD switch. I recall numerous stories about HD equipment being installed in their studios a few months back. I'm glad it's finally going to happen.

Thanks for posting the link.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #141
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Great news! I was just mentioning to my wife last night that I hoped when they came back from this break that they would be making the HD switch. I recall numerous stories about HD equipment being installed in their studios a few months back. I'm glad it's finally going to happen.

Thanks for posting the link.
+1
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #142
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the guide data will reflect this. I tried changing my Wish List for TDS to add the HD Category, but it didn't find any shows.

Edit:

It doesn't find any upcoming shows without the HD category either so I guess we won't find out if the Wish List will work for the HD airing until closer to Jan 4th.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #143
LynnL999

I tried this today and if you add the HD category to the wishlist, it does pick up the HD instead of the SD channel.

I guess it's just something to keep and eye on for now, to make sure that Comedy Central includes this information regularly.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #144
CraigK
(unspecified)

My wishlists for TDS/TCR picked up the HD channel instead of SD in November when CCHD was added to our lineup. That probably happened because we get the east coast Comedy Central HD feed so it's on earlier at 8 p.m. while the SD version is at 11 p.m.

Thanks for the reminder. I've added the HD Category so if either gets bumped at 8/8:30 because of Season Pass conflicts they will get picked up on the HD channel later and not in SD.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #145
javabird

For the Suze Orman show:

Keyword: The Suze Orman Show
Keyword: -Adviser answers financial questions
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #146
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
*old thread bump*

I'll admit I skipped page 2 of this thread, so I hope the answer isn't there.

I've got an old DirecTiVo (software version is 6.x) that has been doing a crummy job of recording The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. We've been doing it using the "Manual Recording" which has mostly worked, but lately we've gotten progressively wonkier recordings----first minute cut off, then first five minutes cut off, and tonight, I put on the manual recording of the Daily Show and get "....and here's your moment of zen." followed by The Colbert Report.

I checked and indeed, Comedy Central is airing TDS and TCR at times like 10:01, 3:54, 6:24, 9:58 and all sorts of other wonky times as well. My manual recordings don't know how to compensate.

Since the DTiVo never got software updates beyond 6.x, I can't do the "Tupper Method". And I tried setting up new manual recordings and discovered that they only go in increments of 5 minutes (10:30, 10:35, 10:40, etc.) and while you can pad a recording to end 1-10 minutes later, you can't pad a recording to start a minute or two later or end a minute or two earlier.

Any ideas on what I can do to get these recordings in something resembling a sane manner?

(Obviously the best option is to upgrade the TiVo, but as I can't purchase vaporware, I'm looking for alternatives.)

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #147
mattack

I believe their "wonky" times are actually correct nowadays... for the most part. I still have at least a minute or two post-pad on Daily Show and I think 2 mins pre and 2 minutes post on Colbert, but have noticed that both have WAY extra padding lately.

I'm not dismissing this Tupper method, but the guide data seems to be MUCH more accurate nowadays.. except for Monday reruns *sometimes*.

So basically, try a regular SP again, possibly with some padding... and don't freak if there are a zillion eps scheduled to record many days in the future.. it will likely sort itself out (the extras will go away).. EXCEPT possibly Mondays.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #148
morac
Cat God

I actually stopped using the Tupper method for The Daily Show as I found it was recording the 11 PM airings when the show was on vacation, despite the Wish List recording set up to record only new episodes. That was happening on my Premiere and S3. I think it's a bug in the WL processing which seems to treat any repeat episode from the last 30 days as new, even if it was recorded and deleted.

When I switched back to a normal SP, that problem went away. As long as there is guide data, a normal SP works better.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote