TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #61
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

there was rumbling of Jay Leno especially writing his own material for the show since he was Guild member and Comedian. Most likely it seemed like a sure fire strategy to turn off the American public if they went after the show hosts so decided to just let it be if it did not get too scripted and since the hosts speak of support for the writers during the show,

I loved Colbert accusing his writers of killing the head of the Mormon Churhc - who died recently - and then speaking of the many rumors out there that they did it He would be happy to give them rebuttal time if they wanted to write up a rebuttal, preferrably humorous and in 8 minute blocks to allow for commercial breaks
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #62
eDbolson

Angry Wishlist failed first day after end of writer's strike

I didn't check my Daily Show or Colbert Report folder until this weekend and noticed that neither the Feb 13 nor 14 episodes recorded. Looking at upcoming episodes, all of them until Feb 26 (for Daily Show) say "humorous slant...", in other words, the generic listing. So Tribune has completely mucked up the fact that these are new shows, as far as I can tell.
eDbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #63
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDbolson View Post
I didn't check my Daily Show or Colbert Report folder until this weekend and noticed that neither the Feb 13 nor 14 episodes recorded. Looking at upcoming episodes, all of them until Feb 26 (for Daily Show) say "humorous slant...", in other words, the generic listing. So Tribune has completely mucked up the fact that these are new shows, as far as I can tell.
Same thing here...but mine just missed the Thursday recordings.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #64
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't have an explanation for the Feb 13 and 14 shows, but The Daily Show is in repeats next week.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #65
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDbolson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Same thing here...but mine just missed the Thursday recordings.
Hmm...my Series 3 picked up the 13th and the 14th. They both had blank descriptions.
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #66
warrenpeace

wish the time worked

I wish you could just put in 11pm, or rather '11:00pm' with the Wish-list to only record the ones in that time-slot. I've tried it and it didn't work.

Aside from 'The Daily Show', I'm having the same problem with Tech TV's shows, which repeat all through the day. If I want to record 'Attack of the Show', it'll record 4 or 5 a day, unless I manually go through them. The difference between this and 'The Daily Show' is that 'Attack of the Show' always has the same show info and it's never updated for first run, or a specific line for re-runs. They never have the guests or topics listed in the guide.
warrenpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #67
porges

Nobody asked, but here's how I do it: Manual for 1 hour, M-F. Period. I delete the Friday recording request every week when it first shows on the To Do list. When there's a vacation week I delete them all. With the hour slot instead of two half-hours, I have half as many shows listed, plus I don't get the annoying effect where the TDS cuts out during moment of Zen or something since the break is not exact.
porges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #68
Danarra

Frustration

1) When I try the Martin method I get those "no" tones when I hit thumbs up or thumbs down. Frustrating.

2) Tivo could fix this easily by adding one field to the Season Pass - "Record only at this time" It's a simple programming add and that they haven't done it yet is beyond frustrating.

3) I'm within my 30 days evaluation and am seriously considering sending it back over this and other frustrations.
Danarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #69
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danarra View Post
1) When I try the Martin method I get those "no" tones when I hit thumbs up or thumbs down. Frustrating.

2) Tivo could fix this easily by adding one field to the Season Pass - "Record only at this time" It's a simple programming add and that they haven't done it yet is beyond frustrating.

3) I'm within my 30 days evaluation and am seriously considering sending it back over this and other frustrations.
The "No" tone is normal. Each time you hit a Thumbs button, you will hear that tone as is cycles through the minus symbol, the parentheses, and no symbol. You want the minus symbol.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #70
morac
Cat God

My Daily Show and Colbert Report wish lists I set up based on the OP have been acting strangely the past week. What happens is that if I go to the To Do list I can see that only the 11:00 (11:30 PM for C.R.) airings are scheduled to record, but once the 11:00 PM records, the TiVo schedules a recording for the next airing of the same exact episode number which is 1:00 AM. Once that records it schedules the next airing (10:00 AM I think) and so on. If I cancel the 1:00 AM showing, it still schedules the next airing eventually.

Why this is happening seems to be a combination of bad guide data and bizarre behavior on the TiVo's part:

1. The guide data for the episodes has the wrong original air date. The date shows as one week in the future.

2. The TiVo won't schedule the same episode if it's already scheduled in the To Do list, but once the episode has actually been recorded, the TiVo schedules it again because the air date is in the future. In other words, the 28 day rule is not working in this case when the show is in the Now Playing List.

So I believe this is a bug in the TiVo software, triggered by incorrect guide data.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #71
SeanC
ECT

I don't know if that's exactly what's happening with my S3 but the ARWL has been recording extra episodes lately. The only thing I noticed offhand was that the description is showing up empty, there's just no text there.
SeanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #72
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Mine too.

I haven't delved into it, but I seem to be recording the original 11PM episode and the 10AM repeat.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #73
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
My Daily Show and Colbert Report wish lists I set up based on the OP have been acting strangely the past week. What happens is that if I go to the To Do list I can see that only the 11:00 (11:30 PM for C.R.) airings are scheduled to record, but once the 11:00 PM records, the TiVo schedules a recording for the next airing of the same exact episode number which is 1:00 AM. Once that records it schedules the next airing (10:00 AM I think) and so on. If I cancel the 1:00 AM showing, it still schedules the next airing eventually.

Why this is happening seems to be a combination of bad guide data and bizarre behavior on the TiVo's part:

1. The guide data for the episodes has the wrong original air date. The date shows as one week in the future.

2. The TiVo won't schedule the same episode if it's already scheduled in the To Do list, but once the episode has actually been recorded, the TiVo schedules it again because the air date is in the future. In other words, the 28 day rule is not working in this case when the show is in the Now Playing List.

So I believe this is a bug in the TiVo software, triggered by incorrect guide data.
Same for me, but it's only picking up the odd recording, not all of them. See my post and others about this issue here. (They should have posted on this thread, but the OP didn't know about it apparently.)
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #74
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper View Post
Mine too.

I haven't delved into it, but I seem to be recording the original 11PM episode and the 10AM repeat.
I don't think this is a problem with the Wish List since all the episodes do have guide data for the episode (ie not generic guide data).

Like I said it is being triggered by bad guide data. For example last night's airing of The Daily show listed the original air date as October 29th (might have been 30th). This causes the TiVo's 28 day rule to throw a fit. If I had to guess why this is, I'd say it is because it is trying to subtract the original air date from today's date and getting a negative number. If stored in an unsigned integer that would result in it being "larger" than 28 days.

The main problem is that it won't actually schedule the duplicate recordings until some time after the previous recording finishes (and is no longer in the To Do list). This makes canceling the duplicate recordings difficult if not down right impossible. I believe this occurs because the TiVo won't schedule an episode to record, if it is already scheduled in the To Do list. This is independent of the 28 day rule.

Hopefully Comedy Central get's their act together and updates the guide data to keep this from happening, but it would be nice if the TiVo obeyed the 28 day rule in this case.

Last edited by morac : 10-17-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: is => if
Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #75
6079 Smith W
Minister of Truth

This has been driving me crazy for the past few days, as well. I have never been able to catch one of the non-11PM airings actually in my To Do list so that I could cancel it.

When I get home from work, I notice that it got the 10AM showing, so I delete it. Then I'll be watching TV and shortly after 8PM I'll see the record light on and sure enough, it's recording TDS, even though there was no sign of it when I looked earlier. I'm not sure how much of a delay there is after you delete the previously-aired episode until the next airing appears.

Prior to this week, the wishlist mentioned in the OP had been working wonderfully.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #76
Dan Clarke

Having the same problem here -- what sucks is that the priority level is pretty high on my season pass and then it kicked out all the other shows I would record at 8p and 8:30PM even though it is just duplicating shows.

Grrr!!!
Dan Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #77
morac
Cat God

I looked at the guide data for the upcoming weeks and it looks like this problem will continue until at least Monday 10/27 (Tuesday 10/28 does have the correct original air date).

I'm highly tempted to disable the Wish List recording until the 28th rather than go through another week of this.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #78
notabbott

Having the same problem, but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the show originally planning to take this past week off. Stewart mentioned it last Thursday.
notabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #79
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

It looks like morac is correct. The original air date is one week in the future and TiVo can't handle it. What a pain in the ***.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #80
amoldd

I tried above suggested keyword for SNL = "An ensemble performs sketch comedy"
and it doesn't work. I still get duplicate/reruns in the list of to-be-recorded shows.
Idea works like a charm for DS and CR however. Anyone else seeing this issue w/ SNL?
Thanks
amoldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #81
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoldd View Post
I tried above suggested keyword for SNL = "An ensemble performs sketch comedy"
and it doesn't work. I still get duplicate/reruns in the list of to-be-recorded shows.
Idea works like a charm for DS and CR however. Anyone else seeing this issue w/ SNL?
Thanks
  1. Double check the generic description. (I think it might be "An ensemble cast performs sketch comedy")
  2. Make sure you set it to "First Run Only"

Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #82

I also just do a manual recording M-F 10pm - 11pm.

I just delete the reruns and whatever it tapes on friday. Not a big deal.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #83
pilotbob

The OP here mentioned he has a wish for the Amazing Race. Does someone have this set up. If so, can you share the settings to only record new episodes of the new series...

Also, if someone has a similar wish list for Big Brother... one that also excludes the morning show where the interview the previously kicked out person.

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #84
mattack

I'm not sure why a season pass for big brother wouldn't be better.. but just do the same kind of thing.. wish list for big brother -Early Show
or whatever the CBS morning show is called this week.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #85
pilotbob

OK, I am still getting duplicate Daily Show and Colbert Report. It appears that the have changed the guide so the repeats don't have the generic description any more. Has anyone come up with a wishlist setup that gets me 1 new daily show/cobert report a day since the guide change?

Thanks in advance.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #86
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, I am still getting duplicate Daily Show and Colbert Report. <snip>
See the earlier posts as to why...IIRC it has to do with the "post dating" of the shows; a Comedy Central issue. Mr. Tupper is working on it, but until they fix the date problem, it looks like we'll be using the delete button for a bit.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #87
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Mr. Tupper is working on it...
Mr. Tupper is deleting extra shows like the rest of you. TiVo's apparently cannot handle future OADs. I'm just crossing my fingers that this is an isolated incident.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #88
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
The OP here mentioned he has a wish for the Amazing Race. Does someone have this set up. If so, can you share the settings to only record new episodes of the new series...
Here's what I use:

KEYWORD: - ELEVEN TEAMS OF TWO TRAVEL THE GLOBE
KEYWORD: - REALITY REMIX
TITLE KEYWORD: AMAZING RACE*
CATEGORY: INTERESTS:REALITY
Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #89
Jonathan_S

Quote:
OK, I am still getting duplicate Daily Show and Colbert Report. It appears that the have changed the guide so the repeats don't have the generic description any more. Has anyone come up with a wishlist setup that gets me 1 new daily show/cobert report a day since the guide change?

Thanks in advance.

BOb
I haven't tried it, but would picking 3 or 4 common words and adding them as optional entries filter out a blank description?

Title Keyword: THE DAILY SHOW
Keyword: -HUMOROUS SLANT
Keyword: (a)
Keyword: (the)
Keyword: (in)
Keyword: (and)

Actually the best optional keyword would be a space, but I don't know if TiVo will allow that.

Obviously it's tricky to pick a set of optional keywords that is guarenteed to show up in any description, but that's what you'd need to do.
If none of them showed up then the description would be (assumed to be) blank and you'd want to skip recording it.

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 10-24-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: autosmilies, grrrrr.
Jonathan_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #90
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Many of the new episodes have no words in the description at all.

This problem should go away on its own after Monday.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote