TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #31
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by designbot View Post
Acutally, the rerun descriptions I've seen have been remarkably standardized. At the end of a generic description, the guide data says "(R)". It seems to be a special flag, because setting "R" as a keyword doesn't work. If TiVo just recognized shows with the (R) flag as reruns, that would solve 99% of the problems.
Works for me! Let them know that you have our full support when you propose it.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #32
CharlesH

I thought that the data that TiVo got from Tribune was an XML file that contained all sorts of information in addition to the Description tag. Do we know what kind of info is in these other tags, that might be of use in this area?
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #33
pilotbob

I set this up for the Colbert Report. Wouldn't you know it... there was a repeat with the quests name rather than the generic "Stephen Colbert and guests...".

But, the description did have the R in the perenthtical section. Is there any way to see if the R is in perenthsis...

Maybe something like -(*R*) in the Keywords section? Or is that too generic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #34
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is there any way to see if the R is in parenthesis...
Nope. The WL searches don't read the (R), or the ratings (SC, N, etc). Wish they did!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #35
Lenonn

Sorry, I hate to bring up a nearly two-month old thread, but, has anyone gotten this wishlist way of recording to work for The Simpsons? I set it up, and it's not getting anyone of the reruns, but also not getting new episodes. I've reviewed it, and I can't think what is wrong.
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenonn View Post
Sorry, I hate to bring up a nearly two-month old thread, but, has anyone gotten this wishlist way of recording to work for The Simpsons?...
Tell us how your Wishlist is setup...
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #37
Lenonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
Tell us how your Wishlist is setup...
Oops... yeah...

Title: SIMPSONS
Keyword: -HOMER AND MARGE SIMPSON RAISE BART LISA AND BABY MAGGIE
Set to autorecord New Episodes.

As it works now, it's not getting Fox's new Sunday night episodes at all, and is getting one episode a night of the weekday syndicated reruns (which I guess is better than before when it was getting two or three rerun episodes a weekday). Also, it is showing (not set to record, though) the South Park episode "Simpsons Already Did It". Why that is happening is beyond me.

I had the thought that maybe this is because in the episode description, there is a comma after Bart, and since you can't enter punctuation.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #38
ebf

Quote:
You mean it is set for "First Run Only", right?

Quote:
Also, it is showing (not set to record, though) the South Park episode "Simpsons Already Did It". Why that is happening is beyond me.
This is because the episode title contains "simpsons". Title searches both program title as well as episode title.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #39
Lenonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebf View Post
You mean it is set for "First Run Only", right?
Yes. Definitely set for First Run Only. The only thing I can think of is that something in the listings is telling the TiVo that these are first run episodes in syndication, although they all look they are listed as repeats.

Oh, well - I'll just go back to manual recording for now. Maybe the fine people at TiVo can continue working on Wishlist so that you can be more specific/detailed with it.

Quote:
This is because the episode title contains "simpsons". Title searches both program title as well as episode title.
I never realized that. I assumed title would just look at the title of the show. You learn something new everyday, don't you?

If anyone has gotten a Wishlist search (as described in this thread) working for The Simpsons, feel free to let us know.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #40
ebf

I don't see any episode scheduled for Sunday... at least not in my area, either on my TiVo or the TiVo Online Scheduling web site. The only show not labeled repeat on the TiVo site is on tonight at 1 AM: "E. Pluribus Wiggum". According to TV.com that is today's new episode. However, I cannot find that episode in my TiVo's guide! So, maybe there is nothing wrong with your WishList, but the guide data.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #41
epsilondelta

Quote:
I don't think you need to enter the entire description string?

My WL exclusion for the Daily Show (many thanks to the OP & this whole thread, and TiVo for implementing this!) is just

-HUMOROUS SLANT

and the WL has not recorded any of the repeats (and is scheduled to record the new episodes).

So I'd think an exclusion like

-RAISE • -BABY (2 keywords)

would likely work, or maybe

-RAISE BART LISA AND BABY MAGGIE

since either of those combinations are unlikely to occur in a real episode's description.

IOW, exclude any part of the description that doesn't include SIMPSONS...

I hope this works ...

Ken
epsilondelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #42
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Sorry, I hate to bring up a nearly two-month old thread, but, has anyone gotten this wishlist way of recording to work for The Simpsons? I set it up, and it's not getting anyone of the reruns, but also not getting new episodes. I've reviewed it, and I can't think what is wrong.
My Simpson Season Pass is set for First Run Only. The Guide Data is almost always accurate, so it works. You don't need to use a Wishlist, use an SP.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #43
Voltron

This is such a nagging problem. It's not TiVo's fault, but it seems like TiVo needs to find a way to handle this kind of show. The simple way would be to allow users to ignore certain times. So for the Daily Show, as an example, we could select to ignore then multiple daily showings. ReplayTV had introduced a feature like that years ago, probably to resolve problems like this.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #44
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqGLVaITsk
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #45
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
HA! ROFLMAO!! Brilliant!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #46
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
This is such a nagging problem. It's not TiVo's fault, but it seems like TiVo needs to find a way to handle this kind of show. The simple way would be to allow users to ignore certain times. So for the Daily Show, as an example, we could select to ignore then multiple daily showings. ReplayTV had introduced a feature like that years ago, probably to resolve problems like this.
Perhaps someone will start a thread about ways TiVo can handle this kind of show.
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #47
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
True enough, but I can't imagine the algorithms that it would take to properly filter every phrase, word, letter, etc. in the descriptions they get from Tribune (over which TiVo has no control).
I do not want them all, I need to have that (R) though as TWC in charlotte NC now has nothing in the description for the daily show - be it new or old. Not one damn thing I can do a NOT keyword on
Old 01-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #48
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
I do not want them all, I need to have that (R) though as TWC in charlotte NC now has nothing in the description for the daily show - be it new or old. Not one damn thing I can do a NOT keyword on
Although the descriptions are blank, the "original air date" data shows the current date. So my WishList is recording just one episode a day, as expected. I haven't been watching them much lately, are they actually reruns?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #49
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The M-Th 11 PM shows are new.

I've noticed that any late night show for which the writers are still on strike does not have episode info.

Daily Show, Leno, etc. have srtiking writers and no episode info.
Letterman, etc. have working writers and the episode info appears.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #50
richsadams

The Daily Show (or should I say "A Daily Show" as they're calling it at the moment) has been "live" since January 17th. It's obvious Jon's not a happy camper and with no writers the comedy is somewhat thin. He's been able to get some guests to show up. A couple of the other comedians have crossed the lines too...but I miss Aasif Mandvi.

I suspect that since everything is being done at the last minute and that no one really knows which guests will show up they aren't putting out any programming info. Just wish the d**n networks would give the writers their few cents and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #51
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper View Post
Although the descriptions are blank, the "original air date" data shows the current date. So my WishList is recording just one episode a day, as expected. I haven't been watching them much lately, are they actually reruns?
What do you know - I just looked and they finally (for now) have the air dates correct so my Wishlist is just picking up the 11pm show due to first run. I loose the wislist fix but gain the original First Run functionality back.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #52
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
What do you know - I just looked and they finally (for now) have the air dates correct so my Wishlist is just picking up the 11pm show due to first run. I loose the wislist fix but gain the original First Run functionality back.
What "wishlist fix" are you losing? The "-humorous slant" fix ignores shows with generic show data. These shows don't have generic data. They have the correct "original air dates" but no show description.

My Wishlist automatically ignored the generic reruns during the 8 week break and automatically starting picking up one, and only one, show a day since the show returned.

Last edited by Martin Tupper : 01-29-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #53
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
What "wishlist fix" are you losing? The "-humorous slant" fix ignores shows with generic show data. These shows don't have generic data. They have the correct "original air dates" but no show description.

My Wishlist automatically ignored the generic reruns during the 8 week break and automatically starting picking up one, and only one show a day, since the show returned.
I was just saying that they gave up on entering description data for any airing - thus no way I could differentiate a show with guests listed from generic "humorous slant" needed before since the TiVo did not have reliable air dates.
Now the original air dates are correct.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #54
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
I was just saying that they gave up on entering description data for any airing - thus no way I could differentiate a show with guests listed from generic "humorous slant" needed before since the TiVo did not have reliable air dates.
Now the original air dates are correct.
I still don't understand the "problem". My "-humorous slant" WL hasn't missed any new episodes...before or after the strike...none.

This isn't the first time that the Daily Show has aired new shows with blank descriptions. They did it on occasion before the writer's strike as well. And as sure as the Sun will rise in the east tomorrow, they will use the generic data again during their next hiatus.

There are basically three ways that The Daily Show will show up:
  1. Shows with complete program description and good original air date: The WL will record new shows once a day.
  2. Shows with no program description but good original air date: The WL will record new shows once a day.
  3. Reruns with generic program description and no original air date: The WL will ignore these.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #55
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I still don't understand the "problem". My "-humorous slant" WL hasn't missed any new episodes...before or after the strike...none.
there is not a problem, just the irony of them fixing the air dates for now
Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #56
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
there is not a problem, just the irony of them fixing the air dates for now
I'm still missing the irony. The Daily Show cycles through good and bad data. The whole point of this thread was how to set up your TiVo to deal with those cycles.

My "-humorous slant" WL has performed flawlessly. Have you experienced different results with yours?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #57
holmete
Gadget Guru

Smile Wish List thread or Sticky

I just found this thread and think it would be a great sticky or stand alone thread maybe in the TiVo TV Talk section.

I have been using WL just to search for specific subjects or actors with very few auto records because I didn't really know what it could do and I didn't want a bunch of junk. Along with Season Pass alerts it would be great to see WL settings for different shows or subjects.
holmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #58
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmete View Post
I just found this thread and think it would be a great sticky or stand alone thread maybe in the TiVo TV Talk section.

I have been using WL just to search for specific subjects or actors with very few auto records because I didn't really know what it could do and I didn't want a bunch of junk. Along with Season Pass alerts it would be great to see WL settings for different shows or subjects.
I use wishlists to:
  1. record all new pilots / series premieres;

2. record all 2007 HD movies;

3. record all presidential debates and forums;

4. record all presidential election results;

5. record all UMD men's basketball and football; and

6. record all Washington Nationals / Wizards / Capitals / Redskins games.

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #59
mattack

Sure seems to me like the "unscripted" late night shows have an awful lot of comedy that *has* to be prepared. e.g. they plan the various onscreen graphics and Stewart/Colbert have an idea of what they're going to talk about. I can't think of the examples from the other shows, but I've seen them there too.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #60
flatcurve

Stuart can write his own material because he's also a comedian. There's also John Oliver, who legally can't strike because he's on a work visa and could be deported. Not just a joke. He still pickets though.
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote