TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How many times have you used the Blockbuster app?
Never 89 91.75%
1 or 2 times 4 4.12%
3 or more times 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

How many times have you used the Blockbuster app?

I just read that Blockbuster is going to be available on Dish Network starting next month. I would imagine that's a very good deal for Blockbuster. I'm not sure how much value it adds to Dish.

I have been a bit perplexed over why Tivo even bothers to keep it around. I don't think it gets much use. Nobody complains about it or mentioned on this forum and when someone did ask a question it was tough to get an answer.

How many times have you used it?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
jfh3

Not really a surprise, since Dish owns Blockbuster or what's left of it.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Not really a surprise, since Dish owns Blockbuster or what's left of it.
Oh, I didn't realize that.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

i've never used it to purchase or rent. just to browse and see what they had on it. they need streaming to be successful.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
innocentfreak

Which is of course what is rumored to be what Dish is launching.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Don't they already have non streaming content available. Dish is supposed to be adding an all you can stream plan like Netflix.
Redbox is supposed to be adding streaming later this year as well. Although the only way to compete with Netflix is to have an all you can stream plan. There are already too many providers that have you pay to view each title and VUDU has the best quality for that.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

When I had a Droid X, the Blockbuster app was built in. It could NOT be uninstalled from the phone. It's sad that they have to do business this way.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Chris Gerhard

If Dish launches a Blockbuster streaming plan to combine with rental by mail and in store rentals, I believe it will be a real competitor for Netflix. Despite the complaints about Netflix price increases, it is still a good value and it will be difficult for Blockbuster to beat the price and do so profitably.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
If Dish launches a Blockbuster streaming plan to combine with rental by mail and in store rentals, I believe it will be a real competitor for Netflix. Despite the complaints about Netflix price increases, it is still a good value and it will be difficult for Blockbuster to beat the price and do so profitably.
Why? We have seen no evidence that Blockbuster is able compete. They offer a DVD by mail service to compete with Netflix and they are barely a blip on the radar.

Just look at how few people have used the Netflix app on their TiVo. It's not the brand it once was.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Why? We have seen no evidence that Blockbuster is able compete. They offer a DVD by mail service to compete with Netflix and they are barely a blip on the radar.

Just look at how few people have used the Netflix app on their TiVo. It's not the brand it once was.
If you mean how few people have used the Blockbuster app, it is because the current Blockbuster VoD available on TiVo isn't worth using, at least in my opinion.

As far as a future Blockbuster streaming plan competing with Netflix, there is potential that Dish Network can use the Dish/Blockbuster customer base to good advantage and compete with Netflix but it will have to a good service and a good value.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
jmace57
Large Member

I tried to use it this weekend for the first time. Went through the setup. When I tried to order a movie, it said "error" when trying to do final billing. Tried it again - same message. Tried it a third time - same message. So I gave up. Then today see my debit card statement, and there are 3 charges for the movie. No movie ever showed up. Not a good start.
140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
DirecTV HR24
jmace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
vio2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
If you mean how few people have used the Blockbuster app, it is because the current Blockbuster VoD available on TiVo isn't worth using, at least in my opinion.

As far as a future Blockbuster streaming plan competing with Netflix, there is potential that Dish Network can use the Dish/Blockbuster customer base to good advantage and compete with Netflix but it will have to a good service and a good value.
Blockbuster has a customer base? Hmm. I haven't stepped foot in one of their run down stores in years now. I think I would feel dirty and ashamed of myself if I did.
vio2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio2112 View Post
Blockbuster has a customer base? Hmm. I haven't stepped foot in one of their run down stores in years now. I think I would feel dirty and ashamed of myself if I did.
Good point? Who is their customer base? The only thing I see at (former) Blockbuster stores are FOR LEASE signs.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Good point? Who is their customer base? The only thing I see at (former) Blockbuster stores are FOR LEASE signs.
There were four in my area and one closed down. Of course the one that closed down was the closest to me. I've been going to one regularly on my way home from work. Mainly so I can drop off my mailers. They still take longer than Netflix even when I drop the mailers off at the local Blockbuster. But at least instead of taking 3 or 4 days longer they only take one or two days longer than Netflix.

Blockbuster compliments the Netflix service well, but I could never replace my Netflix service with Blockbuster. Blockbuster just doesn't come close.
The only advantage I see with Blockbuster is being able to take your mailer back to the local store to count as being returned or trading it for a title that is in the store. But at the one I go to, it's difficult to get a new release on BD since they are usually checked out. The movie RiO had all BD titles checked out for four weeks and I stopped by three or four times a week. I ended up getting it from Netflix the first day that Netflix had it available.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There were four in my area and one closed down. Of course the one that closed down was the closest to me. I've been going to one regularly on my way home from work. Mainly so I can drop off my mailers. They still take longer than Netflix even when I drop the mailers off at the local Blockbuster. But at least instead of taking 3 or 4 days longer they only take one or two days longer than Netflix.

Blockbuster compliments the Netflix service well, but I could never replace my Netflix service with Blockbuster. Blockbuster just doesn't come close.
The only advantage I see with Blockbuster is being able to take your mailer back to the local store to count as being returned or trading it for a title that is in the store. But at the one I go to, it's difficult to get a new release on BD since they are usually checked out. The movie RiO had all BD titles checked out for four weeks and I stopped by three or four times a week. I ended up getting it from Netflix the first day that Netflix had it available.
I used to use the Blockbuster mail service too when I had a convenient Blockbuster store to go to. When it closed, there was no reason to continue to I switched to Netflix for the streaming.