TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
cwbuckley

evaluation service

I posted this once, but I can't find it so here it is again. I found somebody on Ebay that has evaluation service Tivo HDs. I am trying to find out what the advantages or disadvantages are. He said that they are already ready to go, that you dont have to activate them or anything. He also said that if you tried to do that that there is a possiblity that they might cancel the evaluation service on it. I just am not sure what to do on this. Hopefully somebody out there can help.

Thanks in advance.
cwbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

The issue is that at any point Tivo could stop the evaluation service on them since you don't know why it's here. This means if you call to have it put in your name you could trigger a series of events that result in it not having service.

I would not buy an evaluation unit with the expectation of it having any service, I'd consider it as unsubscribed.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

Is it possible that the Tivos being offered have the limited service available only on certain models? IIRC, there were some models that would allow you to use the full features without a subscription, but they'd only get a couple days of guide data, making it very difficult, if not impossible, to schedule season passes or use some of the more advanced functions.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
cwbuckley

I have pretty much decided to give up the evaluation service. It might be a good deal $200 or less, but I have decided that its just too risky. I have found a Roamio with life time for $449 on ebay. I have written the guy to try and get more info on how to order it and I havent heard back from him. Its Tivomadness2014.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Is it possible that the Tivos being offered have the limited service available only on certain models? IIRC, there were some models that would allow you to use the full features without a subscription, but they'd only get a couple days of guide data, making it very difficult, if not impossible, to schedule season passes or use some of the more advanced functions.
Those were some of the Tivo/DVD units and it was Tivo Basic, as far as I know that was never a standalone unit function.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
It has been my experience that only some of the DVD Series 2 had the basic 3 day guide data, instead of the 2 weeks.

I have had two evaluation Premiers for over 5 years and they work great. But I have never put them on my account and because of that I can't do use the features that are available if you have a TiVo on your account. But that is OK with me, as I don't want/need those features. I paid less than $100 for them. I forget how much. They were definitely a good deal. I have probably had 4 or 5 other TiVos with 'evaluation' on them, and none of them had the evaluation removed. Course, I only have the Premiers and one Series 2 left of the evaluation type of lifetime. I sold the other ones.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
cwbuckley

I just thought that I would let you know what is going on. It cost me $33 to return the HD that I bought. As a result I decided that I didnt want to go through that again. So I bought the Roamio, I guess that you could call it the basic model. The low end. I got it with lifetime and I paid $549 + tax. I am supposed to get it today. I am really looking forward to it and I think I did alright has far as getting a good deal.

Chuck
Old 08-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbuckley View Post
I just thought that I would let you know what is going on. It cost me $33 to return the HD that I bought. As a result I decided that I didnt want to go through that again. So I bought the Roamio, I guess that you could call it the basic model. The low end. I got it with lifetime and I paid $549 + tax. I am supposed to get it today. I am really looking forward to it and I think I did alright has far as getting a good deal.

Chuck
You'll love it, the Roamio's have been my favorite Tivo since the original OLED S3 in 2006