TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

To Do List empty???? Not scheduling recordings!

I noticed I missed some recordings from last night. Lifetimed S3.

I looked into the To Do list and it's empty. Furthermore view recording history has NOTHING for the last two nights (but oddly has things for 6/30 that include 1. Welcome, 2. Playing with Live TV, etc that are clearly start up items). I have 32 season passes some of which with recordings that should be occuring. My Tivo connected to the service just this morning. I have guide data out the wazoo. Manually set up recordings show up (not repeat ones, ones I select in the guide data), but that's it. Suggestions also quit recording as of about 3 days ago.

Thinks have clearly gone wonky.

It's as if it has suddenly decided to stop recording things. No other issues I can tell.

Anyone?

DVR expander as well

And yeah I posted in two forums b/c my Tivo isn't doing it's bread and butter.

Trying rerunning Guided Setup now....

Edit:

11/24/08 - The issue is supposedly fixed in the new release, although there is no confirmation from users. Please post your software version if you are reporting a problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TivoJerry DOES NOT NEED ANY MORE INFO AT THIS TIME FOR S3/HD UNITS. Reportedly there is a fix that will roll out with the new service update.

Troubleshooting steps Per TivoJerry:

"If you've already checked your options and are certain that the SP is set for the correct channel and that the program should definitely record, per the options you've set, please try the following steps:
1> Rearrange the priority of a Season Pass or two using the SP Manager, then check the To Do List. If you have a lot of SPs, upcoming recordings, wide WishLists, or a large hard drive with a lot of recordings on it, the "Please Wait" icon will be up for a long time as this work is being done.
2> If that doesn't work, try turning off Suggestions, restart the DVR, then reprioritize a Season Pass.
3> If what you are seeing somehow manages to continue despite the above steps, you should either change the recording options or recreate the Season Pass."

Additionally, there are reports this is recurring for some. It might be wise to check your To Do List periodically.

Last edited by dig_duggler; 11-24-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Post regarding sw version
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Grrr. If I edit a season pass (change quality, eps, start time, etc) it magically shows up in the to do list. Very big bug.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
jhimmel

I assume you tried restarting the unit.

Jim H.

jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Tried restarting and redoing guided setup. Modifying a season pass is the only thing that would get it to show up.

Not good when core functionality starts failing...

Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
doconeill
Unix Guru

How long has it been since you restarted? I think it takes a while to recalculate.

One other thing I may suggest is to reorder your season passes...perhaps just moving one is enough. It may recalculate them all.

As for suggestions, turning them off and on may work, or turning off, doing a restart, and turning back on.

Retired:
HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, on loan)
SD-DVR80 (Zipper/160GB), DSR708 (Zipper/120GB), HDVR2 (Zipper/80GB)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
siswanto

This happened to me as well. I had to go through all my season passes to get the programs to start showing up again in the To-Do list. Is this a known issue?

siswanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
rainwater

Do you have guide data for the next 12 days or so? It's possible your lineup has become obsolete. Tribune tends to do this too often requiring you to select a different lineup in order for it to continue working.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Do you have guide data for the next 12 days or so? It's possible your lineup has become obsolete. Tribune tends to do this too often requiring you to select a different lineup in order for it to continue working.
"I have guide data out the wazoo"

Yeah, I had guide data for 2 weeks. As mentioned above, I had to alter a season pass to get it to pop up in the to do list (as well as turn on/off suggestions to get those working again). Not just alter one which propagated to all, but alter any season pass I wanted to show up in the to do list.

siswanto, glad it's not just me (but not filled with the old confidence that this part of Tivo was rock solid).

Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
siswanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler View Post
"I have guide data out the wazoo"

Yeah, I had guide data for 2 weeks. As mentioned above, I had to alter a season pass to get it to pop up in the to do list (as well as turn on/off suggestions to get those working again). Not just alter one which propagated to all, but alter any season pass I wanted to show up in the to do list.

siswanto, glad it's not just me (but not filled with the old confidence that this part of Tivo was rock solid).
Damn...I forgot to check the tivo suggestions...(I guess I have to turn that on/off in order to get that working as well).

I was wondering why there wasnt any tivo suggested recordings for a while...

siswanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by siswanto View Post
Damn...I forgot to check the tivo suggestions...(I guess I have to turn that on/off in order to get that working as well).

I was wondering why there wasnt any tivo suggested recordings for a while...
Yeah. I rebooted and reran guided setup as well. Those didn't seem to have any effect, but who knows....

Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Yeah. I rebooted and reran guided setup as well. Those didn't seem to have any effect, but who knows....

the suggestion to move the order of one season pass is a good one to try - that is not like guided setup but instead goes through all the season passes to recheck shows to see how the new reordering effects them. It might be a quick way to touch them all and get them going again.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
drewpydog

I had this too today. Reboot had no effect. Had to go into the season passes and change them to get the To Do List to update. Wonder what's going on?

drewpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
the suggestion to move the order of one season pass is a good one to try - that is not like guided setup but instead goes through all the season passes to recheck shows to see how the new reordering effects them. It might be a quick way to touch them all and get them going again.
Point well taken. I added some new season passes (that alone didn't seem to do it, as just the new ones showed up in To Do). I will try that again if (gulp) the problem reappears, but if someone else encounters this (and seems some others are) if you get a chance try that first and let us know your results....

Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
qwin

im seeing the same thing.....foro the last few days, nothing recorded off Season Passes evn though they are listed....REentering them seems to fix it. (but who wants to redo dozens of SP's)

qwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Given the responses, I think we've achieved bug status. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make Tivo aware of this unless they see this thread. CSR's are fairly useless.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
clemon79

Yeah, I came home to the same thing, and I'm pretty pissed.

It appears that I swapped #1 and #2, and it recalculated everything, I think.

But, yeah, this is why I've been paying them $13 a month for five years, so I don't have to think about this stuff. NOT good.

Last edited by clemon79; 09-15-2008 at 09:30 PM.
clemon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

As I mentioned, this is their bread and butter. It's nice there's a fairly simple workaround, but this is extremely troubling. I don't want to have to peruse my To Do List every few weeks to make sure my Tivo knows there's shows I want to record....

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
URPREY
Closet TiVo User

Same issue here. Unfortunately my power has been out since Sunday, so I won't know whether I've gotten it fixed until later this week, and by then, I'll have missed most of my shows

URPREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #19
Hawkeye22

I noticed this a couple days ago. I just reset all season passes by setting to record 1 minute to the end time, then switch it back to on time. This fixed it, but it was a PITA.

Tivo HD

Hawkeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #20
kb7oeb

I had the same thing happen on a series 2 a couple years ago, two calls to Tivo customer service fixed the problem. They never relayed to me what it was.

kb7oeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #21
Maeglin

I had something similar start happening a week or so ago... guide data was still coming in, but it was stuck only scheduling from season passes and recommendations through the 20th. Repeating guided setup didn't fix it, but a reboot did.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Sadara
huh?

I had something similiar happen, it wasn't on all of my season passes though, just some of them. When I looked at the season passes that weren't recording it was missing the channel information. I had to go through the list and delete all of the season passes with no channel info, then go back and recreate them. It was very strange to say the least!

Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
colin1497

Didn't someone mention something about series ID's changing in the guide data? I assumed this was what happened on mine and I just deleted and reset all my season passes. It was a major PITA...

Edit:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=403754

Last edited by colin1497; 09-16-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Add thread URL
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #24
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1497 View Post
Didn't someone mention something about series ID's changing in the guide data? I assumed this was what happened on mine and I just deleted and reset all my season passes. It was a major PITA...

Edit:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=403754
Ah, thanks! I had not seen that. Bingo. Seems to be affecting a large number of people.

I would agree it's not old vs new software - as I've had the latest for awhile.

Hopefully a one time PIA...

Edit: I'm a little suspicious of the new Series ID argument. I didn't have to set new season passes, merely edit the old ones (add a minute to recording/change some option) to get my Series Passes to propagate the To Do list. It would seem that wouldn't work if there were new Series IDs as it would still be using the old ones...

Last edited by dig_duggler; 09-16-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Edit: I'm a little suspicious of the new Series ID argument.
I have two TiVo HD units on Comcast. Both running the same software. One started missing SPs, and the other did not.

As the other thread in the Season Pass section mentioned, changing from Save 5 episodes to save 10, fixed it for me.

The odd thing was -- the SP showed upcoming episodes, but the ToDo list did not show them to be recorded, and in the SP, they were not "check marked" to be recorded.

Seems an odd fluke, but an annoying one.

John

JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #26
CharlesH

Add me to the list. Although mine happened soon after my S3 got the 9.4 update, reported here

CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #27
tcorning

Just posted this in another thread before I saw this one...

This happened on my TiVoHD a few weeks ago, the To Do list was completely empty, including Manual Recordings I had set up. A reboot didn't help. Going into the SP list didn't help either. But once I switched the priority of the first two SP's, it seemed to kick the scheduler and everything showed up again.

Today I was checking my original Series 3 and found that it didn't have anything in the To Do list after Wednesday. Same SP tweak kicked it and everything is back.

I thought the first time was a fluke, but now that it's happened on both of them I'm starting to get worried. The TiVoHD didn't even record suggestions during the time nothing was in the To Do list.

This seems to be a pretty bad bug.

Ted

tcorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #28
tcorning

Oh, and the new Series ID argument doesn't hold here for me, as even my Manual Recording and Suggestions stopped recording.

Ted

tcorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #29
benh57

Same thing has happened to me. This is an amazing bug and it's unbelievable that it's been happening for 2 weeks without a hotfix.

Most people probably won't even notice till they miss shows.

benh57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #30
rastephens

I noticed over the weekend that mine didn't record some things I expected it to. I'm glad to find out there really is something crazy going on before most of the new season of shows starts. I'm rebooting right now, I'll have to swap around some season passes and see what happens. This is BAD.

"Definitely pay attention to rastephens's post." -- Marc
rastephens is offline   Reply With Quote