TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Phillip Chapman

Moving from Wireless to Wired

I zippered our Phillips 7000 DirecTivo about a year and a half ago. Iíve been using a Linksys Wireless 2.6 adapter and now need more speed so weíre moving to a wired solution. Iíll probably be fishing the cable through the walls in the next week or so and I had some questions.

1. Any recommendations on cables? I was thinking Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 just for the purpose of future compatibility since this will probably be in the walls a long time once it is done.

2. Where is the best price to buy cable? Iíll probably need around a 60-75 foot cable.

3. Besides getting a wall outlet for both ends will I need anything else for the install?

4. As far as the Tivo itself, is the NetGear FA120 the best way to go or is there an easier/faster/cheaper adapter I should get?

Thanks in advance for the step-by-step help and advice.
Phillip Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Phillip Chapman

One more... after doing a little research will I need connectors for each end of the ethernet cable or since it's premade is this not necessary?

Last edited by Phillip Chapman : 11-08-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Phillip Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
tward_biteme1

I believe this one works, and is much easier to get:

http://www.outpost.com/product/4415686
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

If you need to cable you can get good deal at monoprice.com. The Airlink adapter linked above works well, but you will need to make sure you have backport usb drivers installed and an entry in your /etc/hotplug/usb.map for the adapter for it to work.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote