TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
MLM68

Move data from one machine to another

Question – Is it possible to transfer the programs stored on one Tivo machine to a new one?

Our Tivo HD Series 3 developed a problem that requires replace of the entire machine (Tivo is doing this for free). However, we have 25 hours of programming on the old machine we don’t have time to watch. Is there a way to transfer data to the new machine?

Any suggestions???
MLM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
worachj

If you have a network you can transfer the non-copy protected recordings to your PC or another TiVo using TiVoToGo.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/tivotogo/index.html
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
MLM68

Unfortunately, I don't have it networked. Can I do it with a straight USB connect?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
samaritan66

USB won't do it for you.

However, you are replacing it so you could move the TiVo HD somewhere where you can connect it to your network to do the transfers. It might be a pretty ugly setup for a short bit, but it's only temporary and you are going to disconnect and move the TiVo when the new one arrives.

Also make sure transfers are allowed under manage my account at www.tivo.com

A word of warning, don't try this after you transfer the new box to your existing service plan. They'll close the account on your current TiVo and you won't have access to the home media option then.
samaritan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
worachj

How Do I Connect a DVR to A Network or Another DVR?

I haven’t tried any of this myself, so you’re on your own. Make sure you have transfers allowwed on your account for your TiVo under DVR preference on Tivo.com. You may be able to do one of the following using the ethernet connection on the TiVo HD.

You can try to do a peer to peer connection between two TiVo’s using a cross-over ethernet cable, but both TiVo’s must have TiVo service.

or

You may be able to do a peer to peer connection with your TiVo and PC using a cross-over ethernet cable.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
samaritan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj
How Do I Connect a DVR to A Network or Another DVR?

I haven’t tried any of this myself, so you’re on your own. Make sure you have transfers allowwed on your account for your TiVo under DVR preference on Tivo.com. You may be able to do one of the following using the ethernet connection on the TiVo HD.

You can try to do a peer to peer connection between two TiVo’s using a cross-over ethernet cable, but both TiVo’s must have TiVo service.

or

You may be able to do a peer to peer connection with your TiVo and PC using a cross-over ethernet cable.

The crossover cable from the PC to the TiVo should work as you suggested. The OP will have to then manually configure an IP address on his PC and his or her TiVo for this to work.

If you've got a broadband router with a spare port, just plug the TiVo into that. This should avoid you having to manually configure addressing on the PC and the TiVo. Once you enable transfers and install the TiVo desktop software, you should be good to go.

One note on enabling transfers through tivo.com, though. You'll have to force a call to the TiVo mothership after you make the change to make that active. You may have to force a few, but there are threads here that talk about that.

You'll also need the Media Access Key before you install the TTG software. See the link for tivo to go that someone placed in a prior message.

And by all means, get that replacement TiVo HD hooked up to your home network somehow. There are some great options with the home media kit that you are not able to take advantage of without a network connection.

I know this sounds like a lot, but to be honest, once you get this setup, and in place, your new TiVo will be able to take advantage of all this work once you connect it to the network. You'll get even more out of it if you allow transfers on the new box.

Let us know how this worked out for you.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
MLM68

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give a try when the replacement machine arrives.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
worachj

As stated above you should consider setting up a home network. There are additional services available if you have a home network and a broadband connection.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
samaritan66

And one other thing that was touched on, but I didn't clearly state:

Once you have put your replacement in place, and the service has been transferred, you will not be able to transfer the recordings off the defective TiVo through the network.

At that point, your best bet is dumping your shows in real time to tape.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Tivo II Jack

Transfer Recordings

I cannot get any recordings to transfer to my PC. I am about to replace a unit and I want to transfer recordings to my PC so I can then transfer them back to the new unit.

In my account, I show my two current units listed as account in good standing, transfers allowed and enabled/on.

In Tivo Desktop, I see recordings I transferred 2 years ago and forgot about, but when I click on Pick recordings to transfer, I get a message that There are no Tivo DVR's available on the network.

What am I missing?
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote