TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #151
CrashHD
I am the me.

Kickstart 5 6 results in the machine booting up to a blank screen on the tv, that says, "Connecting to the server..." After a minute or two, it also putss up the text, " Error : Bad connection." below it. This has been tested on a hacked unit with networking, and connect by network enabled, and an unhacked unit with phone setup properly configured. Either way gives the same result.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #152
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
Kickstart 5 6 results in the machine booting up to a blank screen on the tv, that says, "Connecting to the server..." After a minute or two, it also putss up the text, " Error : Bad connection." below it. This has been tested on a hacked unit with networking, and connect by network enabled, and an unhacked unit with phone setup properly configured. Either way gives the same result.
Interesting. It used to work, but it's been a few years since I tried it. The software must have been updated to no longer include that option at some point.

I'll pull it from the list for now. Hopefully we can discover a KS that will download the software to the alternate partition. I know you can call TiVo’s helpdesk and they can force it from there if needed.

Thanks for the update!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #153
CrashHD
I am the me.

I'm working with a directv tivo here...not likely I'll get any help from tivo's helpdesk, especially not help getting slices to upgrade to an outdated version. It was worth a shot, though. Thanks. My apoligies for hijacking the thread...the kickstart info just seemed relevant enough.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #154
richsadams

Quote:
I'm working with a directv tivo here...not likely I'll get any help from tivo's helpdesk, especially not help getting slices to upgrade to an outdated version. It was worth a shot, though. Thanks. My apoligies for hijacking the thread...the kickstart info just seemed relevant enough.
Got it, no worries. Hope you can find a fix!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #155
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Interesting. It used to work, but it's been a few years since I tried it. The software must have been updated to no longer include that option at some point.

I'll pull it from the list for now. Hopefully we can discover a KS that will download the software to the alternate partition. I know you can call TiVo’s helpdesk and they can force it from there if needed.

Thanks for the update!
KS 56??? I tried KS 52 and 57 to no avail and couldn't get KS 58 to run. Is KS 56 another option?
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #156
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
KS 56??? I tried KS 52 and 57 to no avail and couldn't get KS 58 to run. Is KS 56 another option?
Looks like KS56 (which used to download the software from TiVo) no longer works. Based on CrashHD's post it appears that it still connects to TiVo, but doesn't do the download for some reason. He tried on two machines, but you could give it a try and report back.

KS52 would be transparent as it simply reinstalls the existing software to the alternate partition on the HDD and boots from there going forward.

KS58 would/should be transparent as well with the exception of an eventual reboot.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #157
CrashHD
I am the me.

I tried kickstart 56 twice, on the same machine, (DirecTV R10) once with a hacked system with networking and connect to tivo working via networking. When that didn't work, I tried it again after installing an unhacked image on it, and configuring dial up connection (like a normal user with an unhacked unit would have), and that didn't work either. Both times, it gave the error I listed in my earlier post. It never even tried to dial the modem. It may still work for a standalone tivo. I was just trying to use it to snag a copy of slices for a version that is no longer available, and I thought I could use this kickstart method to do it. I have a backup image of the version I need, so I can do without the slices.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #158
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Kickstart 5 6 results in the machine booting up to a blank screen on the tv, that says, "Connecting to the server..." After a minute or two, it also putss up the text, " Error : Bad connection." below it.
Just tried this on my 240 connected via USB to ethernet.

I get the "Connecting to the server..." quickly followed by "Error: No server Directory specifie..." The rest of the text is off the right of the screen.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #159
richsadams

Thanks for checking KS56 out guys. Looks like it's out of date now.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #160
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Just tried this on my 240 connected via USB to ethernet.

I get the "Connecting to the server..." quickly followed by "Error: No server Directory specifie..." The rest of the text is off the right of the screen.
BTW, says same on my S3.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #161
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Looks like KS56 (which used to download the software from TiVo) no longer works. Based on CrashHD's post it appears that it still connects to TiVo, but doesn't do the download for some reason. He tried on two machines, but you could give it a try and report back.
Right now I still hope to try the MSLive solution, but I must first get a working HD of 120GB or more for $20 or less including shipping. I have looked at about 2 dozen used drives on e-Bay, and unbelievably almost every single one of them have sold for over $35 including shipping, some over $50.

I may be getting one this week.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #162
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Right now I still hope to try the MSLive solution, but I must first get a working HD of 120GB or more for $20 or less including shipping. I have looked at about 2 dozen used drives on e-Bay, and unbelievably almost every single one of them have sold for over $35 including shipping, some over $50.

I may be getting one this week.
Sounds good. I don't know if it's popular in your area, but things like that pop up on craigslist periodically.

http://www.craigslist.org

Let us know how you get on.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #163
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:

"Kickstart 57" is TiVo’s built-in diagnostic program similar to Windows “check disk”. It triggers an MFS assert (GSOD), which marks the file system as being damaged. The repair process detects and repairs inode/data problems, and then runs mfscheck to clean up database and directory problems.
"Kickstart 58" is another of TiVo’s diagnostic programs. It runs fsfix with an additional option that causes it to make multiple passes over the inodes, re-hashing them and clearing collision bits.
“Kickstart 52” is an "emergency reinstall" of the software. It will reinstall the existing software on the alternate root partition.
When I did 58, I got the message "Installing a Service Update" which sounds more like what you describe as Kickstart 52.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #164
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
When I did 58, I got the message "Installing a Service Update" which sounds more like what you describe as Kickstart 52.
Generally speaking KS58 will be transparent but it sounds like it may have found data corruption in the software and caused TiVo to reinstall it...probably a good sign.

I can’t recall what issues you had, but what was the outcome? How are things working?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #165
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Generally speaking KS58 will be transparent but it sounds like it may have found data corruption in the software and caused TiVo to reinstall it...probably a good sign.

I can’t recall what issues you had, but what was the outcome? How are things working?
S2 was experiencing pauses and freezes. I recalled reading that this is (typically) a sign of drive problems (The drives in this box are less than a year old) so started searching the help forum. Found the references to Kickstarts. Tried 57 first but still had pauses when watching live TV. So tried 58 and got the message that a Service Update was being installed. That made me curious...

At this point, I have not had the S2 rebooted long enough to draw any conclusions as to whether or not Kickstart 58 solved the problem, but so far, so good!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #166
richsadams

Quote:
S2 was experiencing pauses and freezes. I recalled reading that this is (typically) a sign of drive problems (The drives in this box are less than a year old) so started searching the help forum. Found the references to Kickstarts. Tried 57 first but still had pauses when watching live TV. So tried 58 and got the message that a Service Update was being installed. That made me curious...

At this point, I have not had the S2 rebooted long enough to draw any conclusions as to whether or not Kickstart 58 solved the problem, but so far, so good!
Hopefully things will be back to normal and life will be good again. Keep us posted!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #167
raddogz

Update - Ordered a new power supply for my Series 2 140060 model and installed last night. It seems I'm back in business, I checked this morning and it looked like it updated the software fine overnight. Yah! for now until albeit it's only one day
raddogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #168
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddogz View Post
Update - Ordered a new power supply for my Series 2 140060 model and installed last night. It seems I'm back in business, I checked this morning and it looked like it updated the software fine overnight. Yah! for now until albeit it's only one day
Awesome news!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #169
epetru

I've got a new power supply from weaknees and my ST S2 has started the hourly reboot process. Running KS 57 right now... not expecting much.
epetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #170
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:

Update: I was still experiencing occasional freezes. Ran KS 58 again and it again said it was installing a service update. That was a few days ago.

Today I ran KS 57 and got the notice that a Serious problem has been detected and it may take as long as three hours to repair. It didn't take that long before it was rebooted. Just to be sure it was repaired, I ran KS 57 again and it again reported a serious problem. Not encouraging.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 AM   #171
richsadams

Quote:
Update: I was still experiencing occasional freezes. Ran KS 58 again and it again said it was installing a service update. That was a few days ago.

Today I ran KS 57 and got the notice that a Serious problem has been detected and it may take as long as three hours to repair. It didn't take that long before it was rebooted. Just to be sure it was repaired, I ran KS 57 again and it again reported a serious problem. Not encouraging.
Hmmm...agreed, that doesn't sound good. It sounds like you should probably plan on replacing the hard drive or possibly getting a shiny new TiVo. (Unless it's still under warranty of course.)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #172
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Hmmm...agreed, that doesn't sound good. It sounds like you should probably plan on replacing the hard drive or possibly getting a shiny new TiVo. (Unless it's still under warranty of course.)
Not under warranty but it does have a lifetime sub.

I'm going to start a new thread titled Drive Exchange/Replacement to ask some questions. Watch for it.

Note too that the first symptom of trouble was this: I had an episode of the Tonight Show that I'd saved about 15 minutes in. Normally, I could select it and 'Resume' playing and it was fine until the buggy Fall Update of the TiVo s/w. Following that update, whenever I tried to Resume that recording, TiVo told me the show had not been recorded because the TiVo was off or the cable was down or some such. Yet it occupied more than a gig of disk space.

It's from that point that I started getting all the freezes and such. I eventually deleted that recording in the hope that would help but it didn't.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #173
richsadams

Quote:
Not under warranty but it does have a lifetime sub.

I'm going to start a new thread titled Drive Exchange/Replacement to ask some questions. Watch for it.

Note too that the first symptom of trouble was this: I had an episode of the Tonight Show that I'd saved about 15 minutes in. Normally, I could select it and 'Resume' playing and it was fine until the buggy Fall Update of the TiVo s/w. Following that update, whenever I tried to Resume that recording, TiVo told me the show had not been recorded because the TiVo was off or the cable was down or some such. Yet it occupied more than a gig of disk space.

It's from that point that I started getting all the freezes and such. I eventually deleted that recording in the hope that would help but it didn't.
Although we've never had any trouble, based on posts over the years it's a fairly established fact that updates can cause a marginal hard drive to go over the edge.

Since you have a lifetime sub, swapping out the HDD is a no brainer. It's very easy to do. All you need to know can be found at http://www.mfslive.org. Or I think you can still take advantage of a TiVo HD promo and transfer your lifetime sub for $199(?)

In any case, best of luck!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #174
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Although we've never had any trouble, based on posts over the years it's a fairly established fact that updates can cause a marginal hard drive to go over the edge.

Since you have a lifetime sub, swapping out the HDD is a no brainer. It's very easy to do. ...
Yeah, I know. I upgraded all my S2s to two drives.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #175
ajlee7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbchapsg View Post
Rich,

Well, I divorced the external drive from my S3 and still have the same problem. (Before divorcing it I also ran the WD diagnostics on the external drive but it found no errors).

Tivo is now sending me my new (i.e., factory re-newed) S3 tomorrow. It will cost me $53.04 ($49 + tax). Since I wanted them to ship the new one right away instead of waiting until they receive the defective one from me, they will hit my credit card with a deposit (equal to $799.99 + tax). The deposit will be refunded once they get the defective one from me.

Patrick
I think I have to do exchange my S3 just like this post. I purchased the S3 in Feb '07 so it falls under the 90 day to 1 yr warranty period. I have a Lifetime Service on the old S3 but is it transferable to the new replacment Tivo? I hope so. Thanks.
ajlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #176
Joe Schmuck
The local Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlee7 View Post
I think I have to do exchange my S3 just like this post. I purchased the S3 in Feb '07 so it falls under the 90 day to 1 yr warranty period. I have a Lifetime Service on the old S3 but is it transferable to the new replacment Tivo? I hope so. Thanks.

If it's warrantee repair/replacement it will.

Joe
Old 12-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #177
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlee7 View Post
If I were you, I would pick up a new harddrive and give WinMFS a shot before sending it back. There are no seals on the S3 that would indicate you tried upgrading the drive in case you need to undo it to return it.

Could be much cheaper in the long run (plus you can upgrade the internal drive at the same time). Also, won't have to mess with setting up those cable cards again.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #178
dlfl
Cranky old novice

General question

A few hours after getting the 9.1a update my box rebooted in the middle of recording a 2 hr movie, after many months of no reboots at all.

I ran KS57, KS58 and KS52 and now have my fingers crossed.

Question: Is it a good general policy to run the KS'es every few months or after every software update?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #179
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
A few hours after getting the 9.1a update my box rebooted in the middle of recording a 2 hr movie, after many months of no reboots at all.

I ran KS57, KS58 and KS52 and now have my fingers crossed.

Question: Is it a good general policy to run the KS'es every few months or after every software update?
No need to run any KS's unless something goes wrong…it could cause trouble where there isn’t any.

It sounds like your upgrade may have had a glitch. KS52 may have cured the problem. However if issues reappear it may be a hard drive issue. (Upgrades have been known to cause borderline hard drives to finally fail.)

Hopefully things will be good for many years to come.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #180
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
No need to run any KS's unless something goes wrong…it could cause trouble where there isn’t any.

It sounds like your upgrade may have had a glitch. KS52 may have cured the problem. However if issues reappear it may be a hard drive issue. (Upgrades have been known to cause borderline hard drives to finally fail.)

Hopefully things will be good for many years to come.
Thanks,

I forgot to include this in my question:

Is it a good policy to just reboot periodically or after upgrades?

Edit: Sorry, I keep thinking of new questions!
If my HD is starting to fail, would simultaneously:
1. Recording a movie
2. Transferring to and/or from my PC
be a good "stress" test to make the symptoms show up?

And would the symptoms more likely be "macro blocking" of the video or reboots?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and

Last edited by dlfl : 01-01-2008 at 09:26 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote