TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #61
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
That is pretty much what I asked elsewere about doing when this first happened weeks ago. Sounds good but let me answer your questions.

I removed all but three images from your post. I receive all the messages you posted including the "Installing a Service Update", but I do not get the last two images you posted, the "Preparing the Service Update", and the blue "Important Message" screen indicating success.

Right now I am leaning towards the KS 52 remedy because it sounds like it will only access the alternate of the two OS partitions and not do anything to the partition holding the recordings. If that is right, and it results in me getting a fresh version of 8.3 which can be updated to 9.1, I should be just fine.

Am I correct in my assumption that KS52 will leave recordings untouched?
KS 52 should download a fresh copy of v8.3x if that's what you currently have. No guarantee that doing so will allow the upgrade to complete of course, but it might and shouldn't do any harm.

I'm not an expert but TiVo's run a proprietary format on the HDD, something of a mix of Linux and Apple IIRC. There are a number of "partitions" on TiVo's HDD...two are for the OS, one active and an alternate for upgrades. They are fully separate from the other areas which are for the recordings, guide, indexing and such. KS52 should have no affect on your recordings.

Keep us posted!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #62
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
TiVo has two OS partitions; one that it boots from and one that is kept for software upgrades. Kickstart 52 causes an emergency download of your current software. That is, the version of software that your TiVo is currently running will be downloaded to the alternate partition of the hard drive. It will not download/install a newer or older version. If you run KS52 it will be transparent to you as the System Information screen will continue to display the same software version number that you already had.

What "messages" were you seeing that led you to believe that an upgrade was being downloaded? One way to tell if a software upgrade has downloaded is when the "Last Status" line in the System Information screen says "Pending Restart".

The "Pending Restart" message can also be found on the Telephone/Network Connection screen.

If you see that TiVo will automatically reboot at 2 a.m. your time and install the software upgrade. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install immediately. When it installs the service update screens will appear and then TiVo will reboot using the new software.

After the update is completed a message screen will appear after the final reboot.

If you haven't seen any/all of those screens it doesn't sound like you've received a software upgrade.

Kickstart 57 and 58 are built-in diagnostics that will look for and attempt to isolate bad sectors on the TiVo hard drive as well as repair any data corruption. If you run KS57 and/or KS58 and your recordings are still playing, they are likely in good sectors and not corrupted.

If your subscription is current and TiVo has stopped downloading daily guides (and periodic software upgrades) you should call TiVo and let them know. They can take a look at your account and let you know why including any problems that they can see with your DVR.

I recently found myself in the same situation, but in a different capacity.On Wednesday, I had programmed my Toshiba TX-20 (Tivo Lifetime) to record shows over the weekend and after when I went back to the "Now Playing" list certain shows that had folders were missing titles and now said "unknown title" and then when I clicked on the folder all of a sudden the TiVo froze and went into "powering up" mode and it's been like that ever since.

I unplugged it and let it sit and plugged it back in yesterday and today it's still "powering up" with both the DVD & HDD lights in yellow. Is that a normal
functioning of rebooting and how long does it normally take to power back up?

I tried the "Kickstarts" you had mentioned in a previous post to someone having the same problem and it can't seem to get past the "Almost there"...message screen. Am I doing anything wrong?
tunabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #63
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabeard View Post
I tried the "Kickstarts" you had mentioned in a previous post to someone having the same problem and it can't seem to get past the "Almost there"...message screen. Am I doing anything wrong?
If your hard drive has finally kicked the bucket, kickstarts may not help. May want to consider getting a new drive and either starting fresh using InstantCake or attempting to copy your settings/recordings using MFSlive.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #64
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
If your hard drive has finally kicked the bucket, kickstarts may not help. May want to consider getting a new drive and either starting fresh using InstantCake or attempting to copy your settings/recordings using MFSlive.

How would I know if my hard drive has died before I go get a new one? and which would you recommend? I appreciate the help and followthrough you offered.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #65
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
How would I know if my hard drive has died before I go get a new one?
Good question. One way is to pull the drive from your Tivo and connect it to a PC. The run some diagnostic software on it.

Western Digital's Data Lifegaurd can to a check of WD drives.
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

SpinRite will also do this but costs money
http://www.grc.com/default.htm

If you go the InstantCake route, you can just reimage your current drive. If it works, your drive was probably ok. (Maybe the drive marked the bad sectors so not to use them again. But usually this is a sign of things going to get worse). If not, then probably the drive was bad.

Of course, using IC you'll loose all settings and recordings.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #66
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
and which would you recommend?
You can pay for the convience and buy a preimaged drive from Weaknees. Or you can try and do it your self and save some cash.

S2s take PATA IDE drives (not SATA). I think a 320GB drive would probably be appropriate size.

Western Digital drives are simple enough to set the aucustic management settings to quite (using Hitachi Feature Tool software). Seagate's don't let you. So WD, Maxtor, Hitachi would be my choice. I prefer WD myself.

This is one I would look for, but it is not in stock right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136109
Old 11-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #67
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
Good question. One way is to pull the drive from your Tivo and connect it to a PC. The run some diagnostic software on it.

Western Digital's Data Lifegaurd can to a check of WD drives.
http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

SpinRite will also do this but costs money
http://www.grc.com/default.htm

If you go the InstantCake route, you can just reimage your current drive. If it works, your drive was probably ok. (Maybe the drive marked the bad sectors so not to use them again. But usually this is a sign of things going to get worse). If not, then probably the drive was bad.

Of course, using IC you'll loose all settings and recordings.

I don't feel comfortable opening up my unit and I don't have a PC.
do you have any other recommendations?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #68
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
KS 52 should download a fresh copy of v8.3x if that's what you currently have. No guarantee that doing so will allow the upgrade to complete of course, but it might and shouldn't do any harm.

KS52 should have no affect on your recordings.

Keep us posted!
That's good enough for me, as soon as I get off here I will run KS52.

I have been coming here awaiting this response every 2 or 3 hours since my last post. I was in the process of typing a note to Greg Burns, who sent me here, asking him to take a look the latest replies here when I decided to check again.

Out of the blue something caused me to pluck my head outta the body part closest to my chair right now. THERE IS A PAGE THREE!!! I turned the page only to find out your answer has been here since last night and Greg is already here.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #69
Tivo II Jack

All systems are GO

I started KS52 about 5 minutes ago and when I saw the Powering Up screen, I hit pause and saw the yellow lights and pressed the 5 2 buttons. Nothing happened so I pressed the pause button again. The two yellow lights turned to a single red light on the left.

I hit pause again and got back the yellow lights and hit 5 and 2 again and waited. It went to the install new software screen which completed as I typed this.

I looked and saw the 8.3 software and then did a connect and it is in the process now of loading currently 36% complete. Whenever I connected since the problem I still had no programming information. If I see programming info when this completes, I should be OK, if not it is back to square one.

It is now at 65% and seems to be loading too fast to be actually loading two weeks of programming.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #70
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I don't feel comfortable opening up my unit and I don't have a PC.
do you have any other recommendations?
You maybe able to send it to Tivo and pay them to fix it. Not sure what they do with a lifetime box.

You best option (since you don't have a PC) is too order a drop in replacement hard drive from Weaknees. It doesn't get any simpler than taking the top off and swapping the harddrive.

If that makes you uncomfortable and you can afford it, Weaknees even offers a service where you send them the box and they will do it for you. Unfortunately, since your box is not currently working, they may not keep your recordings or settings.

http://www.weaknees.com/toshiba-tx20.php
Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #71
Tivo II Jack

Still not sure where I stand yet. After the download fully installed, I still had no program information but I remember when I put a new HD that had been caked and made a connectionm after downloading, I got a message that it had listed available programming for the next 24 or so hours while it continued to load the full two weeks program information.

It seemed to recognize that the caked HD was virgin, but this HD is not. I then did a new connection and after downloading and going to preparing to load, it went to Done almost instantly. That would seem to indicate the first connection did succeed and there was nothing new to load.

I also tried to get the 9.1 but failed. It will probably take over an hour for the programming info to fully load and if that happens it should be a good sign.

I also tried something else that I had never tried before KS52 today. When I look at the To Do list with no program info, I see only my season pass list with each saying None Scheduled. I decided to look at a few in View Upcoming... and saw that there were future programs listed and also that several were scheduled to be recorded. I even cancelled a few that were reruns.

I don't know if I would have seen those future programs listed before today, but it is encouraging to see them because it could mean full programming IS being loaded.

If that occurs, I will try to load the 9.1 again. My Next Connect is showing as Pending restart again, but I want to give this an hour or two to load the To Do list before trying to get 9.1 again.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #72
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
If that occurs, I will try to load the 9.1 again. My Next Connect is showing as Pending restart again, but I want to give this an hour or two to load the To Do list before trying to get 9.1 again.
Heck with that, reboot!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #73
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Heck with that, reboot!
We seem to think alike Greg, but I am going to bite the bullet and exercise some patience. This has been a long process and I want to let the thing finish whatever it is doing before the next attempt.

I know the programming is there because looking at season pass shows in the To Do list, I have seen programs scheduled for recording as far forward as Dec 6 or 7.

If I look in either the Record by Channel or by Time, I see a message that the unit has not made a connection in over 30 days.

If I go to manual recording and choose a date like 12/5 and enter a time and channel and select to record it, it shows me the name of the program playing in that time slot.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #74
richsadams

Quote:
Still not sure where I stand yet. After the download fully installed, I still had no program information but I remember when I put a new HD that had been caked and made a connectionm after downloading, I got a message that it had listed available programming for the next 24 or so hours while it continued to load the full two weeks program information.

It seemed to recognize that the caked HD was virgin, but this HD is not. I then did a new connection and after downloading and going to preparing to load, it went to Done almost instantly. That would seem to indicate the first connection did succeed and there was nothing new to load.

I also tried to get the 9.1 but failed. It will probably take over an hour for the programming info to fully load and if that happens it should be a good sign.

I also tried something else that I had never tried before KS52 today. When I look at the To Do list with no program info, I see only my season pass list with each saying None Scheduled. I decided to look at a few in View Upcoming... and saw that there were future programs listed and also that several were scheduled to be recorded. I even cancelled a few that were reruns.

I don't know if I would have seen those future programs listed before today, but it is encouraging to see them because it could mean full programming IS being loaded.

If you're seeing "Pending Restart" as Greg says, there's really no reason not to just pull the plug, wait 10 or 15 seconds and plug it back in for a hard reboot. No other info will be lost, etc. Nothing wrong with waiting, but I'm an impatient kind of guy and want to see "what's next".

If all guide data was old/lost I believe you are correct that it won't download everything immediately...that's how it works on new boxes. It will likely update a couple of times over the next day or so until you have everything back.

So far it sounds positive...keep you fingers crossed.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #75
richsadams

Quote:
I recently found myself in the same situation, but in a different capacity.On Wednesday, I had programmed my Toshiba TX-20 (Tivo Lifetime) to record shows over the weekend and after when I went back to the "Now Playing" list certain shows that had folders were missing titles and now said "unknown title" and then when I clicked on the folder all of a sudden the TiVo froze and went into "powering up" mode and it's been like that ever since.

I unplugged it and let it sit and plugged it back in yesterday and today it's still "powering up" with both the DVD & HDD lights in yellow. Is that a normal
functioning of rebooting and how long does it normally take to power back up?

I see Greg's been keeping you company and doling out good advice.

Unfortunately it does sound like your HDD is headed for the big TiVo in the sky.

If you can wield a screw driver you can eaisly replace TiVo's hard drive yourself. It's just a matter of removing the cover, using a couple of Torx wrenches (they look just like little allen wrenches) to remove a few torx screws, unplugging the drive and plugging the new one in...reverse process and you're done.

If you don't want to image a bare/store-bought drive yourself just buy one from Weaknees or the TiVo Community Store (they come w/torx wrenches). They are already set up...plug it in and you're basically done.

OR as Greg menitons, you can probably work something out with TiVo for a replacement.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #76
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
If you're seeing "Pending Restart" as Greg says, there's really no reason not to just pull the plug, wait 10 or 15 seconds and plug it back in for a hard reboot. No other info will be lost, etc. Nothing wrong with waiting, but I'm an impatient kind of guy and want to see "what's next".

If all guide data was old/lost I believe you are correct that it won't download everything immediately...that's how it works on new boxes. It will likely update a couple of times over the next day or so until you have everything back.

So far it sounds positive...keep you fingers crossed.
OK, it has now been 2 hours since the connect and I am still not showing any program information in the To Do list except the one manual recording I scheduled, so I will reboot now. It is 8:06PM Eastern time

24 minutes later after watching the New Software being installed screen and then opening Tivo central I still see 8.3 running, I did another reconnect and got a quick download and loading I believe means the prior downloads were successful, but there is still nothing showing in the To Do list. The connect screen once again shows pending restart.

To bring you up to date here, Greg has been assisting me for some time now. I have Instant Caked to new large HD's and successfully installed each into my two S2's, one an 80 hour Tivo box and the other a 140 hr Toshiba/DVD box. This all got sterted when the Toshiba box would not go from 8.3 to 9.1.

After installing the new HD in the Toshiba and upgrading to 9.1, I then transferred all recordings from the old HD in the Tivo to the new HD in the Toshiba. I then installed the new HD in the Tivo box and needed to transfer the the recordings from the old Toshiba HD to the new Tivo HD, but the 9.1 Tivo and the 8.3 Toshiba don't recognize each other.

I now have two new and two old HD's. There is nothing I need left on the old Tivo HD which updated to 9.3 with no problem. If there was a way to get 8.3 installed on that HD, it would probably recognize the Toshiba HD we are working on. I could then transfer recordings from the old Toshiba HD to the old Tivo HD, update that to 9.1 again and transfer to the new Toshiba HD.

The gist of this is that I need to find a way to save or transfer the recordings on the HD that will not upgrade to 9.1 to either one of the new HD's.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #77
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
The gist of this is that I need to find a way to save or transfer the recordings on the HD that will not upgrade to 9.1 to either one of the new HD's.
I guess since Kickstarting the original drive didn't get you unstuck from 8.3 it is time to think about trying to dd_rescue to a new drive. (As mentioned in the other thread).

Once done, kickstart again to redownload 8.3, overwriting the problem 9.1 alternate download partition.

Edit:
I must admit, I would have thought the kickstart you already did would have already overwritten the 9.1 download on the alternate partition when it redownloaded 8.3. Not having much hope that you are going to get unstuck here.

Of course, maybe the alternate partition IS bad. And the redownload/install of 8.3 didn't really work. How would you know since 8.3 was already installed? Hmmm...

With that in mind, dd_rescue to a new drive may still work.

Last edited by greg_burns : 11-25-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #78
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Of course, maybe the alternate partition IS bad. And the redownload/install of 8.3 didn't really work. How would you know since 8.3 was already installed? Hmmm...
I think I know what you mean here. When all this started, I had 8.3 running OK on partition A. When 9.1 came out, it wouldn't install on possibly bad Partition B. Today KS52 re-installed (or thought it did) 8.3 on possibly bad Partition B. That would mean the last restart should have installed 9.1 on what was the good Partition A, but it was unable to do so.

These HD's are nowhere near as fragile as many people think they are. In 15 years, I have never had a HD go bad. I am in a very small space here and once, with the computer in use, had my entire case drop off a table onto a wood floor. I put it back on the table and there were no problems.

I have also dropped a HD on the floor and it was fine. Recently I was working on my computer and have a bracket holding two HD's. I reached for some component and when I did I knocked the bracket off the table and it also hit the wood floor. No problem with either HD.

That is why I find it hard to accept when someone suggests that a problem is being caused by a faulty HD.

Quote:

With that in mind, dd_rescue to a new drive may still work.
I looked at that when you suggested it in the other forum and it was like getting hit in the face with a hammer. I could not understand a single word on that site. If you think it will work and can get me throught it, I will try anything.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #79
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
These HD's are nowhere near as fragile as many people think they are. In 15 years, I have never had a HD go bad. I am in a very small space here and once, with the computer in use, had my entire case drop off a table onto a wood floor. I put it back on the table and there were no problems.

I have also dropped a HD on the floor and it was fine. Recently I was working on my computer and have a bracket holding two HD's. I reached for some component and when I did I knocked the bracket off the table and it also hit the wood floor. No problem with either HD.

That is why I find it hard to accept when someone suggests that a problem is being caused by a faulty HD.
I work in an IT department. We see failed hard drives every week. Some computers will (and have) ran for a decade no problem. But others die at any time. It is luck of the draw.

Have you tried running a diagnostic tool on your "bad" drive to see what it says? It may even be able to repair the bad sectors (by marking them unusable).

DataLife Gaurd Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #80
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I looked at that when you suggested it in the other forum and it was like getting hit in the face with a hammer. I could not understand a single word on that site. If you think it will work and can get me throught it, I will try anything.
If you can hook up drives to use IC, you can handle using MFSLive.

First step is to download MFSLive .iso and burn it to a CD.

www.imgburn.com is great software for burning a disk once you get the .iso downloaded.

http://www.mfslive.org/download.htm
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #81
greg_burns
Now in HD

If you get it downloaded connect your "bad" drive to primary IDE as master, and the "good" drive on secondary master. Connect your CD rom as slave on (probably) primary IDE chain. You may have to adjust jumpers on the drives if cable select setting doesn't work for you.

Boot to the MFSLive CD.

I just tried this and let it time out to the default linux prompt.

The just type the command here

dd_rescue -A -v /dev/hda /dev/hdc

You may first want to verify that hda and hdc are what you think they are so you don't copy over your original drive!

you can type cat /proc/partitions and it will show a list of devices and their sizes. make sure the bigger, new drive is hdc!

kinda like this (this was with sata drives, hence the sda, sdb)

Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 AM   #82
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
I work in an IT department. We see failed hard drives every week. Some computers will (and have) ran for a decade no problem. But others die at any time. It is luck of the draw.

Have you tried running a diagnostic tool on your "bad" drive to see what it says? It may even be able to repair the bad sectors (by marking them unusable).

DataLife Gaurd Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
Yes, its all relative, where you work you see numerous HD's. The HD's I have used over the past 15 years might sound like a lot until I realized the total number of them is probably under ten.

I went to the diagnostic site you sent, but it seems it is only for WD and all my HDs are Maxtor. For now, I think I will go the MSLive route first. I have already burned the CD.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:13 AM   #83
richsadams

Quote:
Yes, its all relative, where you work you see numerous HD's. The HD's I have used over the past 15 years might sound like a lot until I realized the total number of them is probably under ten.

I went to the diagnostic site you sent, but it seems it is only for WD and all my HDs are Maxtor. For now, I think I will go the MSLive route first. I have already burned the CD.
Phew! Glad you guys are getting this sorted out...it's a bit over my head now.

The last time I hooked up TiVo HDD's to my PC w/Linux was back in the S1 days. I made it work but I'd be surprised if I could remember how to do it today. (Although I'm looking at the top bookshelf in my office and see that I have three "Hacking TiVo" books still at the ready. )

Oh, BTW, IIRC WD diagnostic should work on your Maxtor drive unless it's one of the newer Seagate models.

Anyway, best of luck.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #84
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
If you get it downloaded connect your "bad" drive to primary IDE as master, and the "good" drive on secondary master. Connect your CD rom as slave on (probably) primary IDE chain. You may have to adjust jumpers on the drives if cable select setting doesn't work for you.

Boot to the MFSLive CD.

I just tried this and let it time out to the default linux prompt.

The just type the command here

dd_rescue -A -v /dev/hda /dev/hdc
This should be right I believe.

Primary IDE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Secondary IDE
- - - - - v - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - v
- - - -master >>>>>>>>>slave - - - - - - - - master
- - - - - v - - - - - - - - - -v - -- - - - - - - - - v
Problem drive - - - - - - - - CD - - - - - - - - - new drive

After boot at prompt type: dd_rescue -A -v /dev/hda /dev/hdc

Both of my large new drives have already been caked and both already have all programming and recordings on them. Will this allow me to just add recordings from the bad to the new?

If not, I have the drive that I removed from the first S2 that has nothing I need on it. It already has the 9.1 software so I can copy to that and then transfer to the larger HD.

I wish I came here earlier tonight, you posted these replies very soon after I did. I will have to continue this tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 AM   #85
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Oh, BTW, IIRC WD diagnostic should work on your Maxtor drive unless it's one of the newer Seagate models.

Anyway, best of luck.
Thanks, they are all pre Seagate drives so that is another option. Tomorrow I want to try the MFSLive thing, it sounds promising.

If I manage to get the recordings saved, I have plans for this problem drive. I will first try KS 57 and 58 and see if they do repair the problem without losing the recordings.

If that works, I will let you know here. If not, I will try the diagnostic route and let you know how that works.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #86
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks, they are all pre Seagate drives so that is another option. Tomorrow I want to try the MFSLive thing, it sounds promising.

If I manage to get the recordings saved, I have plans for this problem drive. I will first try KS 57 and 58 and see if they do repair the problem without losing the recordings.

If that works, I will let you know here. If not, I will try the diagnostic route and let you know how that works.
Oh, I didn't realize that you hadn't tried KS57 and/or KS58. I'd certainly start there first. That may be all you need to do.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 AM   #87
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
You maybe able to send it to Tivo and pay them to fix it. Not sure what they do with a lifetime box.

You best option (since you don't have a PC) is too order a drop in replacement hard drive from Weaknees. It doesn't get any simpler than taking the top off and swapping the harddrive.

If that makes you uncomfortable and you can afford it, Weaknees even offers a service where you send them the box and they will do it for you. Unfortunately, since your box is not currently working, they may not keep your recordings or settings.

http://www.weaknees.com/toshiba-tx20.php

Thanks a lot for your help. I will consider doing that if my final option doesn't work. I already saw a couple of replacement drives at the Tivo Community store that look promising, I haven't been to "Weaknees" yet but rest assured I will. Again, I thank you for your expertise and advice.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #88
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
I see Greg's been keeping you company and doling out good advice.

Unfortunately it does sound like your HDD is headed for the big TiVo in the sky.

If you can wield a screw driver you can eaisly replace TiVo's hard drive yourself. It's just a matter of removing the cover, using a couple of Torx wrenches (they look just like little allen wrenches) to remove a few torx screws, unplugging the drive and plugging the new one in...reverse process and you're done.

If you don't want to image a bare/store-bought drive yourself just buy one from Weaknees or the TiVo Community Store (they come w/torx wrenches). They are already set up...plug it in and you're basically done.

OR as Greg menitons, you can probably work something out with TiVo for a replacement.

Yes he has, and you've both haven been very helpful and I already posted him a thank you message. And I'm extending my thanks to you as well. I have one last resort and if that doesn't help then I will order a new drive. does that mean that whatever is on the old drive is gone?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #89
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
does that mean that whatever is on the old drive is gone?
If you order a preimaged drive from one of the vendors, it will not have your recordings (or anything) preserved.

Like I said, Weaknees offers a service where they do preserve your recordings, but since your system isn't currently working I don't think they will do it.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #90
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Both of my large new drives have already been caked and both already have all programming and recordings on them. Will this allow me to just add recordings from the bad to the new?
Most definately not. This will wipe out your newer drive and make a bit for bit copy of your old drive to it. (Including the bad 9.1 download, hence the need to try another kickstart once on the new drive.)

Quote:
If not, I have the drive that I removed from the first S2 that has nothing I need on it. It already has the 9.1 software so I can copy to that and then transfer to the larger HD.
You can use any drive as long as it is at least the same size or larger. If you "dd" a 40GB drive to a 500GB, when you are done it will appear to only be a 40GB. You have to "expand" the drive to see the full 500GB. That is another command (read a little further on the page I linked to)

mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc

But you don't have to bother if you intent is just to bring this drive up to 9.1 long enough to MRV the shows off.