TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #31
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmorgan
I ran the Clear Program Information and To Do List. It ran for about an hour or so, then the Tivo restarted. It loaded new program guide, but has not updated from v.8.3. When should this occur? And when it tried to restart, it said Tivo has a major problem and will take 3 hours to attempt to fix. It did whatever repair it tried, then was running again in 15 minutes. When I look at To Do List, it was never removed. (These are manual selections, since I use the Basic Tivo). Any ideas?
v8.3 is fine for now. The upgrades in v9.1 aren't applicable to your TiVo. It will eventually download the latest version, but there's no rush.

Apparently an MFS assert (GSOD), took place which marks the file system as being damaged. The repair process detects and repairs inode/data problems, and then runs mfscheck to clean up database and directory problems.

So it sounds like things have been taken care of. How is it running? Any more reboots or problems?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #32
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
Rich,

My old S2 ST has some HDD problems. It has not been able to install 9.1 software. It just stays at Pending Restart. When I restart the tivo it says that it is installing the software, but it never does. TiVo CSR turned on logging for my TiVo and indicated HDD errors.

I tried KS 57 and it didn't help. I decided to try KS 58, and now I am in a loop of Powering Up, Almost There, GSOD and back to Powering UP - continuous loop. It did that for four hours. Each cycle only takes 5 minutes. Is this how it does the "multiple passes" that you mentioned?

I gave up after 4 hours and tried o do another KS 57, but now I am just in the endless loop. Any suggestions?
Not good news I'm afraid. An endless loop is not normal. You could try unplugging it and plugging it back in to see if it will break the loop. BTW that is NOT normally recommended during any diagnostic, but in your case it might help.

If it doesn't come back around I'd say the HDD is DOA. Not much to be done if that's the case. If you really wanted to take the time to remove it and test it on your PC using a program like WD Lifeguard Diagnostics it might tell you more. You could consider replacing the HDD but it's probably cheaper to get a new TiVo instead.

I'm not sure how you're set up subscription wise, but I think you can get a brand new S2 for free right now and an S2 DT for less than $80 or at Amazon you can get an S2 DT and a $100 TiVo service gift card for $99 which seems like a pretty good deal. Here's the latest rebate offer from TiVo.

Perhaps others can think of another approach, but that's about all I can think of.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #33
gamo62
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 426
I haven't been able to use this on my Tivo HD. When I press the Pause button, the yellow and red light light up. I then tried 52, 57, and 58 to no avail? Is the Tivo HD different?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #34
BamCat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
If KS58 doesn't help it would be a tough call between the modem and HDD. It sounds more like a modem problem, but really hard to say. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

You might also check ebay and craigslist.com for a replacement unit. TiVo's w/basic show up now and then and some broken ones appear that you might be able to use for parts. You might be able to pop your HDD in another box to save your recordings.

Best of luck and when/if you do get it sorted out it would be interesting to hear what you find out.
Hi Rich,

Good news! I hadn't considered adding the Tivo to our wireless network, but in my online quest for a solution, I came across the Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter. I figured it would allow me to bypass the (probably bad) modem; so I went out yesterday and bought one. I also bought a UPS (I found the one Weaknees recommends on sale for $28). I had been using a surge protector, but figured this would be an added layer of protection.

I unplugged the Tivo, plugged in the wireless adapter, and then plugged the Tivo and the rest of my A/V components into the UPS. After the Tivo restarted, it immediately recognized the wireless adapter. I chose my home network from those listed, put in my network password, and initiated a connection. It connected immediately and downloaded in a matter of seconds (my phone connection was taking many minutes and then getting interrupted). Then when I checked the network settings, it said "Pending restart;" so I did a restart. Tivo said it was installing a service update and then I got another installation-type message. It took about 15 minutes, and when it was finished, I had version 9.1. I then had to connect again to get my program guide updated, which worked flawlessly.

To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't restarted since I added the wireless adapter; so I'm hoping for the best at this point. Thank you so much for your help; I really appreciate it.
BamCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #35
jjohnson_123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Samantha,

Did you try the Clear Program Information & To Do List option? My next step was to try the kickstarts, but this option worked for me. See below and the link.

---------

Tivo Won't Upgrade (Possible Other Option)
I also had this problem with my unmodified Toshiba RX-T60 Tivo.

Tivo tech support's first suggested trying the Message Settings > Restart or Reset System : 1) Restart the Tivo option. If that didn't work try the 2) Repeat Guided Setup option. Neither worked after doing these steps and connecting.

I called a second time. The guy suggested trying the Clear Program Information & To Do List option. This retains all of your recorded programs, but removes all season passes and past and present information in the To Do List. I decided to try this option since this is my primary dvr and I had over 40 hours of recorded shows I didn't want to lose.

Warning though. This step takes about an hour to do the Clear Program Information & To Do List option. When it completes, you cannot reconnect. The message tells you that there will be a service update installed at 2:00 AM. So, the only catch was that on Tuesday evening I didn't have any program information, so no recording was possible.

To make a long story short, the Clear Program Information & To Do List option worked! I just had to readd the season passes - which i had written down on a piece of paper - no big deal.

So, you might want to try the Clear Program Information & To Do List option BEFORE you try the Clear and Delete Everything option or the other options suggested in this thread (Although my next step would have been to try those steps before the Clear and Delete Everything option.)

Thanks everyone.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370479
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumkid222
Richard, in response to your question, I have a Tivo Series 2. I tried updating the program, I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in, and I have tried the kickstarts. Nothing really seems to be helping? I think my next step has to be to contact Tivo Customer Support. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

Samantha

jjohnson_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #36
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCat
Hi Rich,

Good news! I hadn't considered adding the Tivo to our wireless network, but in my online quest for a solution, I came across the Tivo Wireless G USB Adapter. I figured it would allow me to bypass the (probably bad) modem; so I went out yesterday and bought one. I also bought a UPS (I found the one Weaknees recommends on sale for $28). I had been using a surge protector, but figured this would be an added layer of protection.

I unplugged the Tivo, plugged in the wireless adapter, and then plugged the Tivo and the rest of my A/V components into the UPS. After the Tivo restarted, it immediately recognized the wireless adapter. I chose my home network from those listed, put in my network password, and initiated a connection. It connected immediately and downloaded in a matter of seconds (my phone connection was taking many minutes and then getting interrupted). Then when I checked the network settings, it said "Pending restart;" so I did a restart. Tivo said it was installing a service update and then I got another installation-type message. It took about 15 minutes, and when it was finished, I had version 9.1. I then had to connect again to get my program guide updated, which worked flawlessly.

To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't restarted since I added the wireless adapter; so I'm hoping for the best at this point. Thank you so much for your help; I really appreciate it.
Awesome! I didn't know if your Pioneer TiVo could use broadband so never even considered it...bad Rich, BAD Rich!

That certainly narrows it down to the modem being a problem doesn't it?

Glad all is well in TiVoLand now.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #37
cliffb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Somewhere, MA
Posts: 9
kickstart 57 fixed my reboot issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumkid222
Ever since Wednesday Oct 24th my tivo has reset itself almost every hour. It interrupts all of the shows that I am recorded and while I am watching the recorded shows it resets itself too, stopping my show right in the middle. Does anyone else have a similar problem to might be able to tell me what could be wrong and causing it to act like this? I really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Samantha
Ok, so I ran the kickstart 57 and my tivo seems fixed. I am in the process of getting a replacement for $49, and am torn on whether or not to go through with it. If my tivo has a dying HD, then obviously I want to get the refurb unit, but if I just had a file system error, then I want to keep my unit. Is there any way to access the logs from the kickstart to see what was fixed?

Any opinions on what to do?

thanks!
cliffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #38
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffb
Ok, so I ran the kickstart 57 and my tivo seems fixed. I am in the process of getting a replacement for $49, and am torn on whether or not to go through with it. If my tivo has a dying HD, then obviously I want to get the refurb unit, but if I just had a file system error, then I want to keep my unit. Is there any way to access the logs from the kickstart to see what was fixed?

Any opinions on what to do?

thanks!
There is a way to get to the logs by connecting it to your PC and using mfstools but the last time I did that was back in the dark ages with our S1. Spike2k5 might be able to give some guidance.

If this is the one and only time it's given you any grief it may be just fine. If it were me and I wasn't married to the existing recordings, I think I'd opt for a refurb unit. They carry the same warranty as a new unit and are fully tested...but your call of course.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #39
danielj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Do these kickstart options apply to a Toshiba sd-h400 box or only a Tivo box?
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #40
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj
Do these kickstart options apply to a Toshiba sd-h400 box or only a Tivo box?
I haven't had any direct experience with the Toshiba units but I don't know of any reason they wouldn't work. As mentioned in a reply to bsmorgan the MFS assert (kickstart 57) apparently does work on his Toshiba TiVo (but we haven't heard back regarding results).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #41
dart451
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 41
Rich, I finally got my Tivo to go into Kickstart mode! I just had to hold the pause key for about 2 minutes and it worked. I tried all the kickstarts and nothing really seemed to help. I finally deleted everything...had to re-enter all the info, etc...and it seems to be working alright now. I'm testing it for awhile. Anyway, didn't I read a post that Tivo support is pretty good about fixing or replacing your Lifetime Service Tivo's without losing your lifetime subscription? If my Tivo screws up again, I might concider the repair or replacement. Thanks for your help!
dart451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #42
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dart451
Rich, I finally got my Tivo to go into Kickstart mode! I just had to hold the pause key for about 2 minutes and it worked. I tried all the kickstarts and nothing really seemed to help. I finally deleted everything...had to re-enter all the info, etc...and it seems to be working alright now. I'm testing it for awhile. Anyway, didn't I read a post that Tivo support is pretty good about fixing or replacing your Lifetime Service Tivo's without losing your lifetime subscription? If my Tivo screws up again, I might consider the repair or replacement. Thanks for your help!
Holding down the pause button for that long is a real PIA. You don't have to, but it does need to be down at the right moment and that's about the only way you can guarantee that it will be.

Glad to hear it's acting normally now. I suspect it sometimes takes more than one thing to get TiVo back on track. Let's hope it behaves itself from now on!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #43
platinumkid222
Platinumkid222
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 3
Richard, Thank you so much for your help. My Tivo is working fine now. I really appreciate all of your help and your very quick response.

Samantha
__________________
Samantha- See & Be Seen
platinumkid222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #44
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumkid222
Richard, Thank you so much for your help. My Tivo is working fine now. I really appreciate all of your help and your very quick response.

Samantha
Happy to help Samantha...now go enjoy some TV!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #45
bsmorgan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
It is still rebooting. I am going to try another hard drive and see if that fixes the problem. TThanks for all the help.
bsmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #46
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmorgan
It is still rebooting. I am going to try another hard drive and see if that fixes the problem. TThanks for all the help.
Sorry to hear that. It does sound like a HDD problem.

Let us know how it goes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #47
CathyBkind
Love my TIVO!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1
Can't kickstart my TIVO!

I own a Sony Series 2 which goes through the following light sequence while displaying the initial screen and before the "Almost There" screen appears:

rapid firing of two of more lights rotating back and forth a few times (unknown colors)
red light
green light

I have tried several times by releasing the pause button at the onset of each of the "lights" but have yet to see the before mentioned kickstart screens. What am I doing wrong? Does Sony have different kickstart codes?

Thanks,
Cathy
__________________
CathyBKind
CathyBkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #48
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyBkind
Can't kickstart my TIVO!

I own a Sony Series 2 which goes through the following light sequence while displaying the initial screen and before the "Almost There" screen appears:

rapid firing of two of more lights rotating back and forth a few times (unknown colors)
red light
green light

I have tried several times by releasing the pause button at the onset of each of the "lights" but have yet to see the before mentioned kickstart screens. What am I doing wrong? Does Sony have different kickstart codes?

Thanks,
Cathy
Sorry to hear that you're having problems. I'm not familiar with the Sony TiVo model but I don't know of any reason that the KS process wouldn't work.

If you're holding the pause button down after rebooting TiVo one or two yellow lights should come on and stay on (for about 10 seconds) just before the "Welcome, powering Up" screen changes to the "Almost there." screen. At that time you should be able to release the pause button (the lights will stay lit) and enter the appropriate code.

If your TiVo doesn't have any yellow lights, can you tell us what light comes on when you press any of the buttons on your TiVo remote?

What caused you to want to use the kickstart process?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #49
Joe Schmuck
The local Schmuck
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 86
Tivo stuck in reboot loop

It's been about 3 years since my TiVo was plugged in and now I have a use for this perticular unit again. I hooked it up yesterday and it powered up just fine, I could watch TV and view some old recordings. If course it did download a new software update and when I saw Pending Restart, I restartd the machine. Now I'm stuck on a reboot cycle. I tried all three of the KS listed above but KS52 does not cause a new download of the software.

So I have a few questions to make certain I have this right:

1) Should KS52 download a dresh copy of the update?
2) Will KS52 download over a USB to ethernet adapter or must it be the phone line?
3) Is there anything else I can do to force a download of the software because I'm certain it's corrupt.

Thanks,
Joe
__________________
RCA DVR40 - (4.01b Image w/Hacks) 133 Hours
Series 2 TiVo - 99 Hours of High Quality Recording
Joe Schmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #50
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmuck View Post
It's been about 3 years since my TiVo was plugged in and now I have a use for this perticular unit again. I hooked it up yesterday and it powered up just fine, I could watch TV and view some old recordings. If course it did download a new software update and when I saw Pending Restart, I restartd the machine. Now I'm stuck on a reboot cycle. I tried all three of the KS listed above but KS52 does not cause a new download of the software.

So I have a few questions to make certain I have this right:

1) Should KS52 download a dresh copy of the update?
2) Will KS52 download over a USB to ethernet adapter or must it be the phone line?
3) Is there anything else I can do to force a download of the software because I'm certain it's corrupt.

Thanks,
Joe
KS52 is the request for an "emergency download" of the current software...that is it will download a copy of the software that TiVo finds on your system which is not necessarily the newest software available. It downloads the software to the alternate partition and boots from that. It will be transparent being that the software it downloads will be the same as what it already had.

All software downloads can/will be over whatever you're using, phone line, broadband, etc.

Best bet if you're still having problems is to contact TiVo. Tell them what you're experiencing. They can force a software download if needed.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #51
Joe Schmuck
The local Schmuck
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 86
TiVo is a NoGo

Well due to time limitations I had to give up on fixing the TiVo for about a month. When using the KS52 the USB to Ethernet adapter never becomes initialized so it cannot download a fresh version. I will try the telephone connection next but like I said, it will be a month before I see the unit again (I hope). It's not fun moving again.

Hey, thanks for the help and if it doesn't work then I will just replace the drive and reload my original image and try again.

-Joe
__________________
RCA DVR40 - (4.01b Image w/Hacks) 133 Hours
Series 2 TiVo - 99 Hours of High Quality Recording
Joe Schmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #52
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmuck View Post
Well due to time limitations I had to give up on fixing the TiVo for about a month. When using the KS52 the USB to Ethernet adapter never becomes initialized so it cannot download a fresh version. I will try the telephone connection next but like I said, it will be a month before I see the unit again (I hope). It's not fun moving again.

Hey, thanks for the help and if it doesn't work then I will just replace the drive and reload my original image and try again.

-Joe
No worries and travel safely. Be sure to mark the TiVo box "Open me first!"
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #53
Fitsky59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 5
SD-H400 kickstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
Do these kickstart options apply to a Toshiba sd-h400 box or only a Tivo box?
The kickstart 57 is the only one I can get to work. I hold down the pause key, and Both the Yellow and Green lights light. Enter 57, Ent on the remote within a few seconds. It may take a few tries. I've had no luck with 58 0r 52.....

Repeating guided setup cured my main problem, no info in the program guide. Curiously, I still have the spurious reboot, and it's always on a CBS network program.....(Moonlight, CBS Sunday Morning, and last Sundays Amazing Race).

I'll try the Clear program information and To Do List next.
Fitsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #54
dart451
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 41
Don't know if this will help anyone here but...my DWL-122 D-Link wireless adapter was rebooting my Tivo! Once I unplugged it, no more reboots! Still going strong after several days and before, it wouldn't record one program without rebooting or missing part of the recording. It would even reboot when watching regular tv. Just food for thought...
dart451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #55
PhilDVR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitsky59 View Post
The kickstart 57 is the only one I can get to work. I hold down the pause key, and Both the Yellow and Green lights light. Enter 57, Ent on the remote within a few seconds. It may take a few tries. I've had no luck with 58 0r 52.....

Repeating guided setup cured my main problem, no info in the program guide. Curiously, I still have the spurious reboot, and it's always on a CBS network program.....(Moonlight, CBS Sunday Morning, and last Sundays Amazing Race).

I'll try the Clear program information and To Do List next.
Are you saying that, with the yellow light, you press 5, then 7, then Enter? The instructions on page 1 don't say to press Enter after the numbers. Of course, in your note, that may only be a typo. (I added an underline to your note above) It took several tries, and I don't know whether it was Kickstart 57, 58, or 52 which finally did the trick but my Tivo seems OK.
PhilDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #56
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
[indent]Kickstart 52 – Reinstalling TiVo Software:

Kickstart procedures generally leave Season Passes, Wish Lists, etc. intact, however data and recordings that used any bad sectors may be lost.
My Toshiba Series II w/DVD RS-TX20 never was able to install the 9.1 over the 8.3 software. I kept seeing messages that the software was downloading and installing, but it never did. It also showed the daily connects for program information as being successful but they were not, and I no longer have any program information.

You say that only recordings saved in bad sectors might be lost using Kickstart 52. Does the fact that I can still play the recordings mean they are not in bad sectors?
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 AM   #57
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
My Toshiba Series II w/DVD RS-TX20 never was able to install the 9.1 over the 8.3 software. I kept seeing messages that the software was downloading and installing, but it never did. It also showed the daily connects for program information as being successful but they were not, and I no longer have any program information.

You say that only recordings saved in bad sectors might be lost using Kickstart 52. Does the fact that I can still play the recordings mean they are not in bad sectors?
TiVo has two OS partitions; one that it boots from and one that is kept for software upgrades. Kickstart 52 causes an emergency download of your current software. That is, the version of software that your TiVo is currently running will be downloaded to the alternate partition of the hard drive. It will not download/install a newer or older version. If you run KS52 it will be transparent to you as the System Information screen will continue to display the same software version number that you already had.

What "messages" were you seeing that led you to believe that an upgrade was being downloaded? One way to tell if a software upgrade has downloaded is when the "Last Status" line in the System Information screen says "Pending Restart".



The "Pending Restart" message can also be found on the Telephone/Network Connection screen.



If you see that TiVo will automatically reboot at 2 a.m. your time and install the software upgrade. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install immediately. When it installs the service update screens will appear and then TiVo will reboot using the new software.



After the update is completed a message screen will appear after the final reboot.



If you haven't seen any/all of those screens it doesn't sound like you've received a software upgrade.

Kickstart 57 and 58 are built-in diagnostics that will look for and attempt to isolate bad sectors on the TiVo hard drive as well as repair any data corruption. If you run KS57 and/or KS58 and your recordings are still playing, they are likely in good sectors and not corrupted.

If your subscription is current and TiVo has stopped downloading daily guides (and periodic software upgrades) you should call TiVo and let them know. They can take a look at your account and let you know why including any problems that they can see with your DVR.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #58
gargoyle999
Registered User
 
gargoyle999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbchapsg View Post
I have the same problem too, and it started around the same time. I have an s3 with a Seagate Free Agent 750 hard drive connected, but it has been connected for a few months now with no problems. Could it all be related to the fact that you can now transfer HD content via Tivo Desktop, which I have done?
I starting having this reboot issue as well. I'm using external storage and I replaced the e-sata cable and sent for a replacement drive from Seagate. Still had reboots. I changed out my external drive enclosure and now it's working fine!
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #59
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle999 View Post
I starting having this reboot issue as well. I'm using external storage and I replaced the e-sata cable and sent for a replacement drive from Seagate. Still had reboots. I changed out my external drive enclosure and now it's working fine!
Glad to hear things are better.

What enclosure you were using?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #60
Tivo II Jack
Registered User
 
Tivo II Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
TiVo has two OS partitions; one that it boots from and one that is kept for software upgrades. Kickstart 52 causes an emergency download of your current software. That is, the version of software that your TiVo is currently running will be downloaded to the alternate partition of the hard drive.
That is pretty much what I asked elsewere about doing when this first happened weeks ago. Sounds good but let me answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
What "messages" were you seeing that led you to believe that an upgrade was being downloaded? One way to tell if a software upgrade has downloaded is when the "Last Status" line in the System Information screen says "Pending Restart".



After the update is completed a message screen will appear after the final reboot.

I removed all but three images from your post. I receive all the messages you posted including the "Installing a Service Update", but I do not get the last two images you posted, the "Preparing the Service Update", and the blue "Important Message" screen indicating success.

Right now I am leaning towards the KS 52 remedy because it sounds like it will only access the alternate of the two OS partitions and not do anything to the partition holding the recordings. If that is right, and it results in me getting a fresh version of 8.3 which can be updated to 9.1, I should be just fine.

Am I correct in my assumption that KS52 will leave recordings untouched?
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |