TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #301
bsjd00

I'm having the same issue on my Tivo HD (with no external storage.) Channel changes result in frequent reboots, and always right at the moment I'm changing channels.

My S3 works just fine.

I'm beginning to think this is a big issue that Tivo needs to address. Has this thread received any attention from Tivo?
bsjd00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #302
Cori

S2DT freezes and reboots

My S2DT tivo is about 15 months old. In Oct. 07 I started having issues with the box rebooting and freezing constantly. I reran setup and its been mostly ok since then, until the past couple of weeks.

My tivo constantly reboots, or freezes requiring me to unplug the unit to get it going again. I've also noticed that it seems to do this when I'm fast forwarding, rewinding, or trying to watch something I've recorded, and changing channels.

Software is version 9.1a...I have no clue whats wrong with it, what's a girl to do? I need my tivo. Should I get a new unit, have this repaired or what? I'd appreciate whatever help you guys can offer. Thanks
Cori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #303
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Cori - sounds like a hard drive issue.

you can get a replacement from someplace like Weakness, or you can do it yourself. Winmfs now runs under Windows and seems to be very simple. I'm going the Winmfs route myself.. just order a new 750GB drive from Tigerdirect for about $150 for my Series 3. You can probably get a drive fro your S2 for much less than that.

Also, you'll need USB to ATA cables.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #304
Cori

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2 View Post
Cori - sounds like a hard drive issue.

you can get a replacement from someplace like Weakness, or you can do it yourself. Winmfs now runs under Windows and seems to be very simple. I'm going the Winmfs route myself.. just order a new 750GB drive from Tigerdirect for about $150 for my Series 3. You can probably get a drive fro your S2 for much less than that.

Also, you'll need USB to ATA cables.
Thanks so much for responding RC, I really appreciate the help. I'll order a replacement from Weakness as you suggested. I can replace the drive in the box. Do you know if I need any special tools to get in the box? I'm on a Mac so I won't be able to go the "do it all yourself" route with Winmfs. Again thanks so much for the help.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #305
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

You'll need a Torx #10 drive bit or key to open the case and unseat the hard drive.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #306
Cori

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
You'll need a Torx #10 drive bit or key to open the case and unseat the hard drive.
Much appreciated Rocko.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #307
ErnieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum. Just sorry to hear that's it's under sad circumstances.

If TiVo doesn't get past the "Welcome. Powering up" screen it means that the motherboard is unable to communicate with the hard drive. Even though you hear it making some noise, it doesn't sound as if anything else is happening. In order for the kickstarts to work, the hard drive has to be working and that would be indicated by the "Almost there..." screen appearing. Hard drives can last many years or only a few...four years isn't too bad. You've done about everything there is to do...well done. Unfortunately it may be time for a new hard drive or a shiny new TiVo.

If you want to replace the hard drive it's quite easy if you're comfortable with buying a new drive, connecting it to your PC and running a program called Instant Cake. It will image the new drive and you're all set. That's the most economical option. Otherwise you can buy a new, pre-formatted drive from DVR Upgrade or Weaknees and pop it in.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Rich,

I downloaded IC. I had a little used Seagate HDD (160GB). Thoroughly tested the HDD with SeaTools for DOS. Followed the instructions.
TiVo booted up successfully. All is well for $20. What a deal!
Tested the orig. HDD from TiVo with SeaTools. BAD HDD!
Thanks,
You and generally reading the different forums have been a tremendous help!!!!!!

Ernie
ErnieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #308
bigvanilla7

Question Food for thought...

I am also having the "RE-Boot" issue and here is something I thought I should toss out there. I sold my house and I am living with my sister and husband for a few weeks. We both have S2's and are having the issue. Here is the qwurk....our S2's re-boot at the same time every time. Tonight it was during "Big Bang" and just a few ago at 9:50pm. 2 times tonight at the same time....any thoughts?

Big V.
bigvanilla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #309
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieH View Post
Rich,

I downloaded IC. I had a little used Seagate HDD (160GB). Thoroughly tested the HDD with SeaTools for DOS. Followed the instructions.
TiVo booted up successfully. All is well for $20. What a deal!
Tested the orig. HDD from TiVo with SeaTools. BAD HDD!
Thanks,
You and generally reading the different forums have been a tremendous help!!!!!!

Ernie
Hi Ernie...excellent to know your TiVo is back up and running again. 20 bucks?! Woo hoo! Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #310
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvanilla7 View Post
I am also having the "RE-Boot" issue and here is something I thought I should toss out there. I sold my house and I am living with my sister and husband for a few weeks. We both have S2's and are having the issue. Here is the qwurk....our S2's re-boot at the same time every time. Tonight it was during "Big Bang" and just a few ago at 9:50pm. 2 times tonight at the same time....any thoughts?

Big V.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under such...well...weird circumstances.

If both units are rebooting at identical times it would lead me to believe that it's something local. With the Series2 there are a few things I can imagine,

1. A power interruption (spike/surge/reduction/brown out/failure)
Do you have them on surge supressors or more preferably a UPS device? Possibly the same one? Try connecting them to different outlets w/individual SS's or UPS.

2. Network or telephone line issue
Try unplugging your broadband or phone lines to see if it continues.

3. Cable signal delivery anomaly
Try unplugging the coax on one unit for a while and watch them both to see if the problem continues.

Have you called TiVo and asked them about it?

Otherwise I'm sure some of the TiVo Wizards here may have some other ideas as well.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #311
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPReggie View Post
I'm new to the forum and TiVo/DirecTv but have been a software/systems engineer most of my life.
Have you considered hooking the hard drive up to a pc and using the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test to test it for problems?
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #312
skipw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvanilla7 View Post

Big V.
I'm pretty sure that I don't live in the same house as you and I also had a reboot right in the middle of "Big Bang" (I got the first 12 min and the last 7 min). Then again during "New Christine". (9:46pm ET to be exact). This morning I turned it on and found that the whole system had locked up at 6:35am. I know this because it was on a news channel and the time was on the screen. After resetting the box, I checked and saw a new data download around 2:30am, which is probably why the box locked up.
I will be calling DTV today and let them know that their service is going in the tiolet and they will not be forcing me into leasing new equipment from them.
I haven't checked the second receiver yet but since they are both R10's running ver 6.3f, I'm guessing it's locked up as well. And I'm sure I can expect another reboot after it finishes indexing.
skipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #313
kingofbeers

Just fyi... my tivo rebooted 10 minutes into Big Bang also. I've been having reboot and picture freezes on both my tivos several times a day for the past 10 days. My R10 is running 6.3f but for some reason my Samsung still has 6.3e.

Last edited by kingofbeers : 03-18-2008 at 09:06 AM.
kingofbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #314
richsadams

Hmmmm...with all of these "Big Bang" reboots, it might be worth having it's own thread and/or survey. It would be good to know everyone's experience...if they're on DTV, etc.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #315
Cori

Many Thanks

I'd like to thank RCR2 & Rocko for all the help they provided. Got my new HD in from Weaknees, dropped it in and I'm back up and running. Everything seems to be working ok so far. Really appreciate the help guys. Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #316
wyatte74

i have a tivo 2
and it keeps rebooting during transfers from my computer...
ive run the kicks and i cant get it to transfer anything!
any suggestions?
and if the usb adapter stops working or comes loose or the router stops sending info will that actually cause a reboot?
ive reset my router and i can still watch and record as well as connect to the tivo service so im lost...please help

ps-it just rebooted again after rebooting because it automatically started the dl that was interrupted...didnt take even 2 minutes for that to happen...usually i get 30 minutes transferred before it reboots

thanks for any info
wyatte74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #317
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPReggie View Post
Rich -

I've tried running the kickstarts, but my Samsung 4080 never gets the yellow light. I see the record light change momentarily to red just before the "Almost there..." screen, but it never changes to yellow while I'm holding the pause button. I am downloading the Hitachi HD Fitness Test images so I can check the hard drive. But I would like to be able to run the kickstarts as well. Is it any different for the Samsungs?
I haven't worked w/Samsung TiVo's, so can't give you any more details. A call to TiVo might be worthwhile.

Best of luck!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #318
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatte74 View Post
i have a tivo 2
and it keeps rebooting during transfers from my computer...
ive run the kicks and i cant get it to transfer anything!
any suggestions?
and if the usb adapter stops working or comes loose or the router stops sending info will that actually cause a reboot?
ive reset my router and i can still watch and record as well as connect to the tivo service so im lost...please help

ps-it just rebooted again after rebooting because it automatically started the dl that was interrupted...didnt take even 2 minutes for that to happen...usually i get 30 minutes transferred before it reboots

thanks for any info
Sounds like a network issue...the USB adapter is a good candidate; they can go bad. Is it a TiVo adapter? If not, I'd certainly switch to one.

Yes, broadband connection issues have been reported to cause reboots. It's also possible that it's a hard drive issue. But if you're only seeing reboots during transfers, my money is on the adapter or something to do with the network. I'd try a hard reboot of everything, TiVo's, PC, router, etc. first.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #319
wyatte74

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sounds like a network issue...the USB adapter is a good candidate; they can go bad. Is it a TiVo adapter? If not, I'd certainly switch to one.

Yes, broadband connection issues have been reported to cause reboots. It's also possible that it's a hard drive issue. But if you're only seeing reboots during transfers, my money is on the adapter or something to do with the network. I'd try a hard reboot of everything, TiVo's, PC, router, etc. first.
i have the linksys wired ethernet to usb adapter that tivo recommends which i personally think is a flimsy piece of junk...it broke a long time ago and i have had to tape the ethernet cable to it since and the male part is wobbly now too so i taped that up as well to sturdy it...transferring again right now to see what happens...i have a befsr41 wired linksys router w/ that adapter...any suggestions for a better wired adapter if that turns out to be the problem?
im looking at the Belkin F5D5050 Networking USB to Ethernet Adaptor...

thanks,
Eric
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #320
wyatte74

two of the three lights are on on the adapter and now the transfers just stop...no rebooting
should all three be on?
everything works fine until it stops then it says sometimes the transfer was interrupted and will begin again when the network connection is established again...problem is the connection is still established...and sometimes it stops and the video disappears from the now playing list...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #321
wyatte74

seems new adapter fixed the problem...we'll see :-)
thanks for the help Rich,
Eric
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #322
richsadams

Quote:
seems new adapter fixed the problem...we'll see :-)
thanks for the help Rich,
Eric
Glad you got it sorted out. What kind of an adapter did you get?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #323
wyatte74

trendnet tu2-et100...
and so far no problems at all!
its a much better imo and same if not less expensive adapter than the linksys recommended by tivo...
now im playing with videora trying to get the aspect ratio and quality of the transfer closer to that of the actual avi/xvid file...not quite sure what to do bout that but im looking around here for ways to tweak it...im computer literate to a point but im 33 and ever since they changed the programming on techtv to video games im just not as much so as i once was ha!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #324
richsadams

Quote:
trendnet tu2-et100...
and so far no problems at all!
its a much better imo and same if not less expensive adapter than the linksys recommended by tivo...
now im playing with videora trying to get the aspect ratio and quality of the transfer closer to that of the actual avi/xvid file...not quite sure what to do bout that but im looking around here for ways to tweak it...im computer literate to a point but im 33 and ever since they changed the programming on techtv to video games im just not as much so as i once was ha!
Excellent...and I hear you about TechTV. Good work!
Old 04-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #325
bmoon
Turn Energy into $$$

Ok, I have a TIVO Series 3 HD (Home Theater) running with 2 FIOS Cable cards. Life has been great for about 4 months. We lost power for about 12 hours two days ago and the system gets to the “Almost There, just a few more minutes” and locks up. I have tried various reboots ( removing cables, cards, etc ) with no luck. I am now trying the Kickstarts.
When I get the orange/yellow light, it stays light until I enter the 2 digits ( 57, 58 or 52) I have let it sit without entering a code and it stays light for 10+ seconds so I know it is getting the codes. The problem being that nothing happens after I enter the code. It sits there for a few more seconds then I get the “ Almost There” for eternity. Shouldn’t I get something other than the Almost there screen? I have tried all three ( 57,58,& 52 ) and they all do the same thing. Once the “Almost There “ appears, the only lights on the TIVO are just the backlighting on the controls ( select, arrows, LiveTV, etc ) on the far I have tried holding the pause

I have also tried Kickstart with coax, Ethernet, and cable cards removed.

Any suggestions?
And yes, I plan on adding a UPS

Please, I really miss my TIVO
bmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #326
richsadams

Once the yellow light stays steady and you enter the KS code the yellow light should go out immediately and TiVo should reboot. If it's staying lit after you enter the "7" or the "8", etc. it sounds like it's not acknowledging the entry. Is that the case or am I reading your post wrong?

For instance, when you run KS57 and you enter 5 then 7, the light should go out and TiVo should automatically reboot. As soon as it starts back up you should see the green severe error screen. If you're not seeing that screen it's not working. Note that you won't see the green screen with KS58 or KS52 but the unit should reboot as soon as you enter the code.

Unfortunately it sounds like a failing hard drive, but it could also be a few bad sectors on the hard drive or data corruption due to the power failure. KS57 or KS58 may be able to fix things if you can get them to run. Let us know a little more about what you're seeing.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #327
bmoon
Turn Energy into $$$

It is accepting the codes because the light does go out as soon as the second digit is entered. It then sits there for a few seconds and the " Almost There " screen comes up.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #328
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoon View Post
It is accepting the codes because the light does go out as soon as the second digit is entered. It then sits there for a few seconds and the " Almost There " screen comes up.
Are you willing\able to hook the drive up to a PC? If so there are diagnostics you could run there to determine if the drive is bad. If it tests good, you could just reimage the drive with an S3 (non TivoHD) InstantCake image. Loose your settings, but your Tivo would be working again.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #329
bmoon
Turn Energy into $$$

That is where I was afraid we where going It has been a while since I played around inside the box but I can do it. I have kinda gotten to be lazy. You know, pay to change the oil vs. do it my self. I will probably tell TIVO to send my replacement ( $50 ) and if I find some time this weekend I might play around with it. I can always send the replacement back.

Couple of Qís:

If I go the replacement route, donít I have to have Verizon come back out and re-install the cards or should I be able to swap cards to new unit?
Obvious negative is I lose all recordings and settings.

What do you mean by image S3(non TivoHD)? I have a TIVO S3 HD Home Theater system. (TDB648250B). Do I just reimage with the non HD and do a SW upgrade once back up????

From reading this entire thread and others, I guess there is a chance of recovering the settings and recordings and transferring them to a good HD if this one is not too far gone. I still go back to $50 for referb TIVO vs what looks like ~$150 for a new (30hr HD) hard drive? I am not so worried about the recording just don't want to set up all the Season passes again

I have to say, reading through these posts, you guys rock!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #330
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoon View Post
What do you mean by image S3(non TivoHD)? I have a TIVO S3 HD Home Theater system. (TDB648250B). Do I just reimage with the non HD and do a SW upgrade once back up????
Some members play fast and loose with the term S3, just trying to be precise. InstantCake does NOT have an image for a TivoHD yet, just the S3(648) that you apparently do have.

Yes, once you image it with IC it will automatically upgrade back to latest version within a couple days (or sooner if you force connections).

If you put a new drive in your box and have subscribed to the Guru Guides in the past then TivoMagic may happen and your SPs will return. Just don't a C&DE after using IC. Your recordings and other settings will not. And you are correct, your cable cards settings are toast with a new drive. Hopefully yours are not paired to the machine. If they are you will have to have them redone by Verizon.

You also try using WinMFS to backup your drive to another new drive and hope for the best. Nothing to loose there if you are buying a blank drive yourself. It is free, unlike IC. If it works, it would preserve everything. Might try that and then the KickStarts again. Depends where the problems lies.

Lots of things to try if you are tweaker type. Otherwise, just go the Weaknees route.