TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
CCourtney

TiVo Roamio not buffering or saving recording of Showtime's Ray Donovan

This is the 2nd week in a row that my TiVo isn't recording Ray Donovan correctly.

It's got the Red Circle in the Guide indicating it's being recorded, but nothing is in the 'My Shows', I tune to the channel and the channel has no buffer and will not buffer even while watching live.

I checked the CCI bit in the TiVo Diagnostics and it's 0x2, which is Copy Once, so it should copy the show.

EDIT: I also checked and my Mini isn't tuning anything.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD1.jpg (27.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RD2.jpg (33.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Diag2.jpg (33.1 KB, 23 views)
- Roamio Plus (3TB) 5/13/15
- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
CCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
ej42137

Too bad! "Ray Donovan" is an excellent show; I never miss it myself.

If you like, I can summarize what happened in the last two episodes:

Spoiler:
* Last week: Ray gets beaten up again. His family betrays him. Ray beats up someone who needs it. His loyal henchfolk save his bacon. Many immoral and illegal acts are done.

* This week: Ray beats up someone who needs it. His family betrays him. His loyal henchfolk save his bacon. Many immoral and illegal acts are done. Ray gets beaten up again.
Seriously, it sounds to me as if your cable card is not authorized for Showtime. TWC used to do this to me every once in a while just to keep me on my toes, and in those days they wouldn't fix it without rolling a truck. Nowadays they'll fix it over the phone, but it also doesn't happen very often any more.

Your next action should be to call your cable company and ask them to fix your cable card authorization so that you get the Showtime you are paying for. If your cable company has a special number for cable card support, you should use that number.

Last edited by ej42137; 07-18-2016 at 02:28 AM.
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #3
caughey

I'm going to ask a lot of questions so maybe we can help:

Can you record/watch other shows on that Showtime?
Can you record/watch other Showtime channels?
Can you record/watch other channels with the 0x02 CCI byte?
Who is your provider?
Do you use a tuning adapter?
Are there any messages on the channel when you try to watch it (for example, if I try to watch some channels it will say "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information (V58)."
If you go to the History menu, what does it say about why it wasn't recorded successfully?
Your screen shot shows SNR 40dB. What does the Signal Strength show? Are these numbers the same on other channels?

The Mini isn't tuning anything on any channel? Can it play programs recorded on the Roamio or internet?

caughey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I can't record OWNHD on the Roamio (it records fine on the TiVoHD).

I can watch LiveTV, but there's no trick play. The red recording light comes on, but the recording never shows up in MyShows. It does appear in History with a note that says "Not Authorized" despite the fact that I'm authorized for the channel.

Read the thread Comcast MPEG-4 in Bay Area, particularly post 10937198 for more information.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #5
ej42137

Yeah, I didn't think Showtime would be sent out at 720p, but I see from his screen shot that is what is happening. So it certainly could be the Roamio MPEG4 problem that people are having all of the sudden. It also sounds like you're not seeing the channel not authorized message that would would get if it were a cable card problem, so forget that idea.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Your diagnostics shot does not show ALL of the other results such as "Program Lock", "Signal Lock", etc.
The SNR seems be to a bit high, not sure if its part of the problem You need to show us more of the tuner diagnostics as its 2-3 screen pages long.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Too bad! "Ray Donovan" is an excellent show; I never miss it myself.

If you like, I can summarize what happened in the last two episodes:

Spoiler:
* Last week: Ray gets beaten up again. His family betrays him. Ray beats up someone who needs it. His loyal henchfolk save his bacon. Many immoral and illegal acts are done.

* This week: Ray beats up someone who needs it. His family betrays him. His loyal henchfolk save his bacon. Many immoral and illegal acts are done. Ray gets beaten up again.
Seriously, it sounds to me as if your cable card is not authorized for Showtime. TWC used to do this to me every once in a while just to keep me on my toes, and in those days they wouldn't fix it without rolling a truck. Nowadays they'll fix it over the phone, but it also doesn't happen very often any more.

Your next action should be to call your cable company and ask them to fix your cable card authorization so that you get the Showtime you are paying for. If your cable company has a special number for cable card support, you should use that number.
Don't worry, I watched last weeks using Xfinity VOD and this weeks I happened to turn it on right when it started ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Yeah, I didn't think Showtime would be sent out at 720p, but I see from his screen shot that is what is happening. So it certainly could be the Roamio MPEG4 problem that people are having all of the sudden. It also sounds like you're not seeing the channel not authorized message that would would get if it were a cable card problem, so forget that idea.
Yeah, I'm not sure why locally it's being output 720p as Showtime used 1080i.

- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCourtney View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why locally it's being output 720p as Showtime used 1080i.
Because Comcast is trying to jam as many broadcast channels as possible onto each QAM channel?

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #9
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
I'm going to ask a lot of questions so maybe we can help:

Can you record/watch other shows on that Showtime?
Can you record/watch other Showtime channels?
Can you record/watch other channels with the 0x02 CCI byte?
Who is your provider?
Do you use a tuning adapter?
Are there any messages on the channel when you try to watch it (for example, if I try to watch some channels it will say "This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information (V58)."
If you go to the History menu, what does it say about why it wasn't recorded successfully?
Your screen shot shows SNR 40dB. What does the Signal Strength show? Are these numbers the same on other channels?

The Mini isn't tuning anything on any channel? Can it play programs recorded on the Roamio or internet?
I can't record other shows on Showtime HD either. I set up a couple recordings of movies, and checked just now as well and they are not buffering.

Yes, I can record on all my non-HD Showtime channels.

I can record/watch/buffer other shows w/ 0x02 Bytes (check a couple like HBO and Starz with 0x02)

Comcast (Sacramento) is my provider

No tuning adapter

No messages, the show tunes in, it just won't buffer or record the show.

Interesting, this and the other shows I attempted to record give the reason for not recording as 'Not Authorised'

Signal Strength 99%

The Mini is operating normally (i.e. can display all my channels as far as I know.) It just wasn't being used at the time. I figured I would add that just in case.

EDIT: A quick check on my X1 DVR and it can record and buffer Showtime-HD.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diag3.jpg (30.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Diag4.jpg (32.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Diag5.jpg (35.1 KB, 16 views)
- TiVo Mini 4/29/16

Last edited by CCourtney; 07-18-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Because Comcast is trying to jam as many broadcast channels as possible onto each QAM channel?
A quick check and other 1080i stations seem to be broadcasting in 1080i (HBO, Starz, NBC, CBS, TBS, ...)

- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
krkaufman

This post offers some hope for resolution:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...php?p=10938721

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
CCourtney

Quote:
This post offers some hope for resolution:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...php?p=10938721
No resolution yet, but sounds like TiVo has an engineering release for it, but no target as to when the fix will be released . I checked the channels he listed, and I'm getting the same issue on those channels to. I also check my Mini and it had the same issue.

- TiVo Mini 4/29/16
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
because comcast is trying to jam as many broadcast channels as possible onto each qam channel?
^^^^^this^^^^^

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
lew

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
^^^^^this^^^^^
Should the Comcast customers switch to another provider because tivo doesn't work or should they switch due to poor picture quality? I guess research has suggested number if channels (quantity) is more important then picture quality.

Comcast customers will be able to spend less when the replace their TV sets

lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #15
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Should the Comcast customers switch to another provider because tivo doesn't work or should they switch due to poor picture quality? I guess research has suggested number if channels (quantity) is more important then picture quality. Comcast customers will be able to spend less when the replace their TV sets
Huh?

It's one thing to compress the signal some to get all your crap channels into one smallish pipe, but to alter the original resolution that's broadcast and intended by the channel owner is another thing all together, and to ME anyway is unacceptable!

I wonder if these channels even know that Comcast is screwing them like this? Maybe some of these people effected should email or call these channel owners and fill them in on this possible chicanery?

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #16
lew

Quote:
Huh?

It's one thing to compress the signal some to get all your crap channels into one smallish pipe, but to alter the original resolution that's broadcast and intended by the channel owner is another thing all together, and to ME anyway is unacceptable!

I wonder if these channels even know that Comcast is screwing them like this? Maybe some of these people effected should email or call these channel owners and fill them in on this possible chicanery?
My point. Posters may be looking at the wrong issue. The issue isn't getting tivo to work. The issue is if you even want to watch the newly down rezed channels.

Assume you have an option. Do you switch now because tivo won't handle some channels? Do you switch later, after you get a chance to view the almost HD channels?

Last edited by lew; 07-20-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #17
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
My point. Posters may be looking at the wrong issue. The issue isn't getting tivo to work. The issue is if you even want to watch the newly down rezed channels. Assume you have an option. Do you switch now because tivo won't handle some channels? Do you switch later, after you get a chance to view the almost HD channels?

Ahhhh, thanks for the explanation.

Technically, 720p is still HD though.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
lew

Big Grin

Quote:
Ahhhh, thanks for the explanation.

Technically, 720p is still HD though.
I should have said barely HD. I'm referring to the biterate as well as the downrez to 720 p. How long until Comcast spins this as streaming quality. Optimized for viewing on your tablets and smartphones.

edited to add Tivo lets us stream to a mobile device. Tivo stream (or included hardware in some tivos) will transcode the video to an appropriate format. Comcast customers might be able to skip that step. They might be able to stream from their Comcast DVRs to a mobile device without the need for additional hardware. Without needed to use a PC. (not sure which of the funny faces indicates sarcasm).

Last edited by lew; 07-20-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
krkaufman

Quote:
I should have said barely HD. I'm referring to the biterate as well as the downrez to 720 p. How long until Comcast spins this as streaming quality. Optimized for viewing on your tablets and smartphones.
Heh, yeah, it'd be interesting to compare one of those channels to a high-bitrate SD/DVD recording. At some point, the downrez'd, compressed video quality will be sub-SD, visually.