TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Torino

Will this drive work in a series 2?

The HD went out one my series 2. I only use this one for transferring shows from my other Tivo so I do not need a drive with alot of storage. Will this one work? Also how to I get it to work in my series 2. The old drive in dead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
The HD went out one my series 2. I only use this one for transferring shows from my other Tivo so I do not need a drive with alot of storage. Will this one work? Also how to I get it to work in my series 2. The old drive in dead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a lifetime subscription on that S2?

Will that drive work?

Probably.

Would I recommend using it?

If you already had one, yeah, but buying it specifically to put into the TiVo? I'd be inclined to suggest alternatives, like getting a SATA/IDE adapter with the Marvell or JMicron chipset and getting a 1TB SATA drive and getting more GB per $, not to mention a drive new enough to still be under factory warranty.

On the back of your TiVo, where the power cord plugs in, there's a sticker, and on that sticker is a model number which, if it's a TiVo brand Series 2 TiVo, should start with TCD. What's the rest of it?

How do you know the drive in there now is dead and that your problem is not an all too possible power supply problem?

Have you actually removed the #10 Torx head screws and taken the cover off of the TiVo?

Unless it's a rather unlikely failure of the TiVo motherboard itself, we can walk you through getting your TiVo back up and running, but we'll have to ask you questions, and, depending on the answers, might have to ask more questions.

Do you have a PC that has connections for IDE/PATA drives?

Do you know what it means to burn a cd-r "as an image"?

In case the problem is the power supply--

Do you happen to have access to a voltmeter?

Do you happen to have access to a high-wattage soldering iron?

And no, I'm not trying to scare you away.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Torino

I already have the drive. It is still in the box new.

Model No. TCD240040

I do not know for sure it is the drive.

I do have voltmeter.

I have not burned a cd as an image.

I have taken cover off of Tivo.

I do have pc with IDE/PATA drives.

I have a "regular" soldering iron but I am not very good a soldering.

You are not scarring me away I want to learn.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Torino

By the way the Tivo is stuck on powering up. I tried unplugging and plugging back up waiting as much as a week. Nothing else is connected to Tivo other than power cord. Opened and made sure all HD connections where good.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
By the way the Tivo is stuck on powering up. I tried unplugging and plugging back up waiting as much as a week. Nothing else is connected to Tivo other than power cord. Opened and made sure all HD connections where good.
So when you plug it in it shows the first screen, the one that says Welcome, and never goes any further?

That's one of the power supplies that uses the ribbon between the power supply and the motherboard, so it's a little trickier to check for all voltages than the ones with the open backed plug, but since the most likely "not to be what they're supposed to be" voltages are the +5 and +12, you can backprobe the hard drive power connector while it's plugged into the drive and front probe it if it's not plugged in.

You should get almost the exact same readings with and without the drive connected as a sign that the voltage regulator circuitry on the power supply is doing its job.

The 2 black wires are the negative ground, the red is the +5V and the yellow is the +12V.

Try to keep your hands and everything else away from the actual TiVo power supply since there's 120V AC and about 170 V DC on part of it that does not need to be shorted to ground by either anything metal or anything that's part of your body or in contact with your body.

Let's verify that your power supply is okay, and then move on from there, although you can also be running the manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test on that new drive before you use it for the TiVo or anything else to make sure that it's okay.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Torino

OK the power supply checks out. Unfortunately while I was doing that I hit the ribbon to the front of the machine knocking it out of the mother board. Does that spell doom?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
OK the power supply checks out. Unfortunately while I was doing that I hit the ribbon to the front of the machine knocking it out of the mother board. Does that spell doom?
Maybe not.

If you caused it to come completely out you may be okay.

With the TiVo *not* plugged into the wall socket, re-seat the front panel ribbon cable into the socket on the motherboard, going straight down so it's at a nice right angle to it.

Also check the other end where it plugs into the front panel and be sure it's seated firmly and squarely as well.

Then plug the TiVo back in and see if it works right as far as putting the initial Welcome screen on the TV.

If it does, and you get the usual lights on the front, we'll talk about putting my 240 image on your new drive.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
Torino

I get the Welcome. Powering up screen. This is the screen I have been getting. It never will go beyond that or you just get a wavy line going down the screen.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
I get the Welcome. Powering up screen. This is the screen I have been getting. It never will go beyond that or you just get a wavy line going down the screen.

That PC doesn't have a GigaByte brand motherboard, does it?

If so, we can still use it after taking the proper precautions.

Assuming you're running Windows XP or newer on that PC with the IDE headers, download this to it:

http://mfslive.org/forums/download/file.php?id=86

which should get you a file named

winmfs_beta9_3f.zip

Unzipping that should get you a file named

winmfs.exe

You can just put it right on the root of the C: drive, and then right-click it and create a shortcut to it on the desktop, and set it to run as administrator (or it won't be able to see the drives).

Boot the PC with the old TiVo drive attached and open WinMFS and click

File

Select

and see if it sees the TiVo drive.

If so, select it and then click

File,

mfsinfo

to see what it says about the drive.

You can copy the results from mfsinfo as a text file.

If there's something wrong with the drive, something in the above process will probably not work, but you needed to practice using WinMFS anyway.

Then download this file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/240_GSet.tbk

shut down the PC, disconnect the old TiVo drive, connect the new drive, boot again, go into WinMFS, File, Select, select the new drive, then File, restore, aim it at the .tbk file you downloaded, set the swap partition for 500MB, and choose whatever option *does* use the optimized partition layout, and click Start.

It may look like it's frozen, but eventually it'll finish.

When it does it'll tell you you have extra space on the drive and ask if you want to expand.

Tell it no.

Then do

File, mfsinfo

and see if everything looks okay.

Then, as a separate process, you can expand into the extra space with

File,

mfsadd

Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Torino

Well, I have ran into an road block. I am having problems with the pc I was going to use to do this. It has 2 cd rom drives and will not reconize either one. So, I thought I would buy this or something like it:
http://www.ambery.com/idesatousb20.html

since I have 5 Tivos and will probably be running test etc. in the future on their HDs. Seems it would be a lot easier in use something with usb. What do you think?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
worachj

Quote:
Well, I have ran into an road block. I am having problems with the pc I was going to use to do this. It has 2 cd rom drives and will not reconize either one. So, I thought I would buy this or something like it:
http://www.ambery.com/idesatousb20.html

since I have 5 Tivos and will probably be running test etc. in the future on their HDs. Seems it would be a lot easier in use something with usb. What do you think?
I use something similar and it works great. The only problem being it may not get recognized if you boot to DOS or a CD-ROM because the drivers it needs to work will not get loaded.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Torino

Can you use it making a new Tivo drive by booting the pc up normally?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
worachj

It should work if you have a windows machine, IDE drive and the correct TiVo image for winmfs.exe. It says it supports Microsoft Windows ME/2000/XP/Vista/7. Compliant with USB 2.0 and 1.1 specifications.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Torino

I got my ide/sata usb device today. I am now running the manufactures long test on the old Tivo drive. It took me 5 min. to do what it took all week to try to do on the old pc. It just would not boot up on disk right. This is a lot easier.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
Torino

What is the end result to post 9? Is the drive ready to put in the Tivo when finished post 9?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
What is the end result to post 9? Is the drive ready to put in the Tivo when finished post 9?
Should be.

After you run

mfsadd

run

mfsinfo

again and see if that big ol' Apple Free Partion hasn't been swallowed up into the MFS Media partition that was just before it, which is what's supposed to happen.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #17
Torino

What if the old tivo drive is dead?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
What if the old tivo drive is dead?
Then you will have a great deal of trouble copying it.

If you go back to post #9, you'll see that in addition to telling you where to get WinMFS, I gave you a link for

240_GSet.tbk

which is a 240 image that you can restore, using WinMFS, to a new drive.

Recommendation to do expansion separately still applies.

Of course that image came from a 240 with a different TiVo Service Number, and that'll have to be dealt with, but since the image starts out in Guided Setup, I think it'll happen automatically as part of the setup process rather than throwing you an Error 51 message and putting up a green screen telling you it's got to fix something that'll take about 3 hours and you should leave it plugged in until if finishes.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #19
Torino

That is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I did it right the first time.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Torino

Well darn, completed step nine, installed new drive back into Tivo. Still stuck on the Welcome, powering up.

Last edited by Torino : 08-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #21
Torino

Can the power supply for this http://www.ambery.com/idesatousb20.html
be used once the drive is in the Tivo to rule out a bad power suppy on the Tivo?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Can the power supply for this http://www.ambery.com/idesatousb20.html
be used once the drive is in the Tivo to rule out a bad power suppy on the Tivo?
If the TiVo power supply is sufficiently "problemed" then relieving it of the load of the hard drive may not be enough to keep it from still causing the motherboard to not work properly, but in case it's not that bad off, yes you can power the hard drive via something other than the TiVo power supply, as long as that something can deliver sufficient current on both the +12V and +5 V lines. I've done it before by taking the side panel off of a PC and running an extension with the right Molex connectors, and I've done it with the power supply from an external drive enclosure.

Just don't do anything that connects the "outboard" power supply to the TiVo's power supply. The hard drive's data cable should be only connection they have in common.*

And if you aren't getting past the first screen you need to be making sure that it's plugged in properly to both the motherboard and the drive.

If you have a spare IDE data cable lying around you might want to try subbing it in as well.

You'll want to have the drive powered up before plugging in the TiVo.

*You can keep the hard drive mounted to the bracket which is mounted to the TiVo chassis if it's convenient, or put the hard drive on the bench next to the TiVo if necessary to get the alternate power supply to it. Either way about 10 or 20 of the 40 pins of the IDE data cable (the corduroy-looking ribbon cable) will be keeping the motherboard and drive grounds at the same potential so the grounding done by the bracket would be just a duplication of that which you wouldn't have to have but would be perfectly safe if you did.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
dstroot

I have a series 3 - TCD648250B. Want to put in a 1tb drive. What is the best recommended drive these days and does anyone have a drive image I could try? I think my existing drive is toasted. Thanks in advance!
dstroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #24
Torino

Dstroot your best bet is to start a new thread with that question.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroot View Post
I have a series 3 - TCD648250B. Want to put in a 1tb drive. What is the best recommended drive these days and does anyone have a drive image I could try? I think my existing drive is toasted. Thanks in advance!
There are other threads already in existence* where it would have been better to have put that question, but as long as we are here---

You can get a 2TB drive for a whole lot less than double the price of a 1TB drive.

I suggest the WD20EURS or the newer version of it, the WD20EURX.

You should be able to get one from newegg or Amazon (themselves, not their "marketplace partners", or whatever they call those coattail riders) for under $100, including shipping.

As of about 3 TiVo OS upgrades ago the S3 models can handle a 2TB drive and partitions larger than 1.2TB.

And if your current drive is not copyable, we can hook you up with an image.

*You might want to read through the last 10 pages or so of

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

and have look at

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51

in general

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #26
Torino

Well, I have tried everything but I am still getting nothing but the power up screen. I took the new drive out and hooked it back to the pc just to check it. Now I can not get the pc to read it. It is if it is not hooked up. It will not show up on winmfs or the man. software. I have tried different usb ports and tried unhooking it and hooking it back up still nothing.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #27
unitron

Quote:
Well, I have tried everything but I am still getting nothing but the power up screen. I took the new drive out and hooked it back to the pc just to check it. Now I can not get the pc to read it. It is if it is not hooked up. It will not show up on winmfs or the man. software. I have tried different usb ports and tried unhooking it and hooking it back up still nothing.
If you hooked it up to the PC via that IDE to USB adapter thingie, then you don't know if the drive doesn't work or if the adapter doesn't work.

You mentioned elsewhere a while back having more S2s than just this one.

Which means you could use an IDE drive out of one of the other ones to check the USB adapter.

Which version of Windows are you running, and which service pack?

Let's make sure Windows isn't writing anything to the drive.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
Torino

I dug up an old hd and the usb adapter is working. On the pc I am testing the drives I am running xp pack 3. I have pc's running win 7 and 8 if they would be better to use.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #29
worachj

Quote:
To see a connected TiVo drive, make sure when running winmfs that you run under administrative privileges. Right click on winmfs.exe and select run as administrator.

Windows with a USB adapter may have problems reading a non-windows drives. Try booting up your PC with the TiVo drive and USB adapter already attached.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #30
unitron

Quote:
I dug up an old hd and the usb adapter is working. On the pc I am testing the drives I am running xp pack 3. I have pc's running win 7 and 8 if they would be better to use.
XP SP3 is fine for running WinMFS--it's the only Windows on which I've ever run WinMFS, in fact--I just wanted to make sure you weren't using an older verision of it that supposedly would automatically try to "initialize" (write an MBR to) a newly attached drive whether you wanted it to do so or not.