TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #181
AZrob

Hi all,

I am having a heckuva time getting the TTCB to work reliably on my Tivo HD. It seems that most of the time I try to choose a program to transfer from my PC, I get the ambiguous "failed to transfer" message. But once in a while I do get a program to transfer, and when it does start, it almost always finishes, and the rate of transfer is acceptable (a SD 30 minute show transfers in 15 minutes). On top of this, it seems like the queueing function that allows you to set up shows to transfer one after the other never works. I have never gotten more than one show to transfer at a time.

My question is: could this be helped by moving from a wireless to a wired connection? Right now, I have a very good signal (90-100%) using a wireless connection. I am using a Tivo Wireless G adapter, talking to a Linksys WRE54G remote extender, connected back to a Netgear WGR614 router.

I was thinking of returning the Tivo adapter and getting a Linksys 200mbps Homeplug AV kit. I know wired connections are faster, but my question is, would that also help solve this intermittent transfer functionality issue? Or is that an entirely different matter?

One other clue: if I have both tuners tuned to channels I don't receive it seems to increase the odds that the transfer will start. That seems to indicate the issue has more to do with the Tivo HD than the network -- but even that adjustment doesn't work all the time.

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #182
Goober96

I have problems with one HD show -- "The Office" on NBC -- coming back to the Tivo. It gets pixelated badly and is unwatchable. I've tried bringing back other .Tivo files (even HD ones) and they are fine, but not this one show. Does anyone have any ideas on that?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #183
TheOski

Powerline addapters and MRV

I have a little ghetto setup because my cable modem is in the library connected to D-Link DIR 655 (router N) which is then connected to the computer and the wall through Netgear HDXB101 (supposedly 200 mbit).

In the bedroom from the wall Netgear HDXB101 through D-Link DGS-2205 (switch) to both Slingbox and Tivo S3.

Downstairs, I have another Netgear HDXB101 and D-Link DGS-2205 (switch) spilt to Tivo S3, Vonage and IPTV box which is most of the time off.

From the Tivo S3 upstairs to Tivo S3 downstairs I takes over 2 hours to transfer one hour of HD. Is there anything more I can do to speed it up? Would Tivo ever instead of transferring the data stream it? How can I improve my network configuration?
TheOski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #184
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
I have problems with one HD show -- "The Office" on NBC -- coming back to the Tivo. It gets pixelated badly and is unwatchable.
I have a similar (maybe the same) problem, but I've only tried one show so far, "Chuck" on NBC. I'll have to try some others and see if it's specific to that show.

Have you tried multiple episodes of the "Office," or just one so far? I've tried at least 3-4 episodes of "Chuck" with the same results each time.

Unfortunately I don't yet have any idea what might be causing this...
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #185
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
Hi all,

I am having a heckuva time getting the TTCB to work reliably on my Tivo HD. It seems that most of the time I try to choose a program to transfer from my PC, I get the ambiguous "failed to transfer" message. But once in a while I do get a program to transfer, and when it does start, it almost always finishes, and the rate of transfer is acceptable (a SD 30 minute show transfers in 15 minutes). On top of this, it seems like the queueing function that allows you to set up shows to transfer one after the other never works. I have never gotten more than one show to transfer at a time.

My question is: could this be helped by moving from a wireless to a wired connection? Right now, I have a very good signal (90-100%) using a wireless connection. I am using a Tivo Wireless G adapter, talking to a Linksys WRE54G remote extender, connected back to a Netgear WGR614 router.

I was thinking of returning the Tivo adapter and getting a Linksys 200mbps Homeplug AV kit. I know wired connections are faster, but my question is, would that also help solve this intermittent transfer functionality issue? Or is that an entirely different matter?

One other clue: if I have both tuners tuned to channels I don't receive it seems to increase the odds that the transfer will start. That seems to indicate the issue has more to do with the Tivo HD than the network -- but even that adjustment doesn't work all the time.

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
Okay, I'm going to reply to my own post here:

I spoke to someone in Tivo Networking Support and was told that they are aware of the issue with intermittent reliability on the TTCB transfers and they are working on a patch which should be sent out "in two weeks".

Has anyone else heard this from Tivo? The lady seemed very clear that Tivo recognized this problem and was working on it. Not the transfer slowness issue (which even TivoPony has acknowledged), but the unreliability of the transfer startup itself.

Rob
Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #186
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
I have a similar (maybe the same) problem, but I've only tried one show so far, "Chuck" on NBC. I'll have to try some others and see if it's specific to that show.

Have you tried multiple episodes of the "Office," or just one so far? I've tried at least 3-4 episodes of "Chuck" with the same results each time.

Unfortunately I don't yet have any idea what might be causing this...
I have tried multiple episodes of "The Office" but I have never tried another NBC show. Could it be something that is NBC-specific?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #187
nynate

TTG download of Rave HD content fails

When i try and download with TTG any content recorded on Cablevisions Rave HD (Channel 785 for me) the download stops at around 10%. This only happens with this channel and i can successfully record and TTG any other channel.

The channel doesnt show up as copy protected and it actually downloads around 200MB of the file.

Any help appreciated since i would like to archive the concerts shown on this channel.
nynate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #188
rmstone

TTG question:

I read the FAQ and didn't see this answered. I have an THD, an dhave downloaded the free version of tivo desktop. I'm ready to make the jump to desktop plus, but be for i do, I want to understand the limitations.

Does tivo Desktop Plus compress before it upload to mobile devices? I record mostly in SD. I know if you download a 1 hr long show from Itunes (43 minutes of video) the file is around 200MB. However when I transfer a 1hr show from Tivo SD (1 full hour including commercials) the file is usually 1.1-1.3GB.

I don't want to junk up my 30GB ipod Video with such large files, do I?
rmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #189
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmstone View Post
TTG question:

I read the FAQ and didn't see this answered. I have an THD, an dhave downloaded the free version of tivo desktop. I'm ready to make the jump to desktop plus, but be for i do, I want to understand the limitations.

Does tivo Desktop Plus compress before it upload to mobile devices? I record mostly in SD. I know if you download a 1 hr long show from Itunes (43 minutes of video) the file is around 200MB. However when I transfer a 1hr show from Tivo SD (1 full hour including commercials) the file is usually 1.1-1.3GB.

I don't want to junk up my 30GB ipod Video with such large files, do I?
The pay version (Tivo Desktop Plus) does compress.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #190
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

I have also noticed glitching in files brought back to the TiVoHD. All NBC shows. Friday Night Lights, Journeyman, Heroes, etc. But they play back fine with TheaterTek, and I don't have to wait for the transfer. (PC is hooked up to my HDTV as well.)
David Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #191
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

From OP:

Quote:
Some SD recordings downloaded from the TivoHD (or Series3) are also incompatible with the Series2. When you use MRV to transfer SD recordings from the TiVoHD or Series3 to the Series2, the TiVo transcodes (converts) those SD recordings to a compatible SD format for the Series2. However, you bypass that transcoding (conversion) when you transfer the recording directly to your PC.
Is it known which types of SD recordings are not compatible from S3/HD->PC->S2?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #192
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
I have also noticed glitching in files brought back to the TiVoHD. All NBC shows. Friday Night Lights, Journeyman, Heroes, etc. But they play back fine with TheaterTek, and I don't have to wait for the transfer. (PC is hooked up to my HDTV as well.)
Will Theater Tek play the .Tivo file directly (perhaps when Tivo Desktop is open) or does it have to be converted first?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #193
Brainiac 5

Quote:
I have also noticed glitching in files brought back to the TiVoHD. All NBC shows.
Sounds like Goober96's speculation that it might be NBC-specific is looking more and more likely.

Quote:
But they play back fine with TheaterTek, and I don't have to wait for the transfer. (PC is hooked up to my HDTV as well.)
It's the same way for me - the files play back fine on the PC, I only see the glitches on the TiVo after having transferred them back.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #194
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

Quote:
Will Theater Tek play the .Tivo file directly (perhaps when Tivo Desktop is open) or does it have to be converted first?
I have played some .tivo files in TheaterTek, but not all work. It will play .ts files.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #195
Goober96

Quote:
I have played some .tivo files in TheaterTek, but not all work. It will play .ts files.
I'm new to TTG. What's a .ts file?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #196
Brainiac 5

I did some experimenting last night to see what shows I get glitches on when I transfer them from my S3 to my PC and back. So far it looks like it's only NBC shows for me too.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #197
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

Quote:
I'm new to TTG. What's a .ts file?
Transport stream. VideoReDo will save a .tivo file as a .ts file. It can then be played with MyHD if you have the card, or with TheaterTek, among other programs.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #198
srea

closed caption drift when MRVing

If I transfer a TV show (whose closed caption is in sync throughout the show) from my S2 to my S3 the closed caption on the transfered show is okay at the beginning of the show but my the end it is off by 3 or so seconds. Very annoying. I don't see this effect when transferring an S3 show to the S2. I wonder if there is a problem in the translation from S2 format to S3 format.
Has anybody else seen this?
I mentioned this earlier in this thread but the discussion got sidetracked on the closed caption in the original recording. This only occurs after the show is transferred from my S2 to my S3.

Last edited by srea : 11-16-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
srea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #199
Goober96

Quote:
Transport stream. VideoReDo will save a .tivo file as a .ts file. It can then be played with MyHD if you have the card, or with TheaterTek, among other programs.
So if I get VideoReDo and convert .Tivo to .ts, the file can be played back with TheaterTek without the problems being discussed here? What other programs will play a .ts file? Are there free ones?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #200
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I have not seen any posts lately about programs failing to transfer fully to their PC from an S3/THD, but I figure lots of people are having this problem with a significant number of recordings.

I have been TTG'ing shows from both an S3 and THDs and keeping some notes. Should I start another thread? Should I start it in the TTG Forum? Is there already another thread I somehow missed?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #201
Tarek

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to reply to my own post here:

I spoke to someone in Tivo Networking Support and was told that they are aware of the issue with intermittent reliability on the TTCB transfers and they are working on a patch which should be sent out "in two weeks".

Has anyone else heard this from Tivo? The lady seemed very clear that Tivo recognized this problem and was working on it. Not the transfer slowness issue (which even TivoPony has acknowledged), but the unreliability of the transfer startup itself.

Rob
Rob,

I seem to have the exact same issues as you describe. I first noticed these problems when my TiVo Series 3 was still at 9.1, and it still occurs after my 9.2 update.

I've had the problem both with TiVo Desktop 2.5.1, as well as TiVo Desktop Plus 2.5.1, running on Windows Vista Ultimate. Similar to you, I have reasons to believe that it is not a general networking issue, and have experienced the same problems both with native .tivo files (both HD & SD recordings), as well as other formats/codecs supported by TD Plus. I had no problems at all moving hundreds of GB to my PC via TTG - the problems are all with TTCB.

I have not spoken with anyone at TiVo regarding these issues. Did you get the impression that this patch they mentioned would take the form of an update release or patch to the TiVo Desktop software, or an update to the TiVo itself?

Regards,
Tarek
Tarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #202
wgw

Quote:
You might try running the file through the Quickstream Fix tool in VideoReDo before sending it back to the Tivo to see if that will clear up the problem.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #203
nynate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post
I have not seen any posts lately about programs failing to transfer fully to their PC from an S3/THD, but I figure lots of people are having this problem with a significant number of recordings.

I have been TTG'ing shows from both an S3 and THDs and keeping some notes. Should I start another thread? Should I start it in the TTG Forum? Is there already another thread I somehow missed?
As previously mentioned i'm only having this issue with recordings from one of my HD channels. Downloads from all other channels appear to not be affected.
nynate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 AM   #204
wgw

Looks like I'm also one of the lucky recipients of pixelation problems in a PC to Tivo transfer.
Details are here.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=374868
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #205
jhimmel

Aspect Ratio question

I recorded a .mov file from my digicam in 16:9.
It displays in correct wide screen format on my PC.
I purchased the pro TiVo Desktop application.
It transfers to my S3's fine, but displays with black bars top and bottom.

It seems to be transcoding incorrectly. Anything I can do? I saw nothing about this specifically in the excellent FAQ, and I was getting confused by some posts in this thread that seem to be talking about altering a .dll. This file is not "HD", but is wide screen. (It is 848X480)

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #206
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

To get 16:9 videos transcoded as 16:9, try pyTivo.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #207
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
Rob,

I seem to have the exact same issues as you describe. I first noticed these problems when my TiVo Series 3 was still at 9.1, and it still occurs after my 9.2 update.

I've had the problem both with TiVo Desktop 2.5.1, as well as TiVo Desktop Plus 2.5.1, running on Windows Vista Ultimate. Similar to you, I have reasons to believe that it is not a general networking issue, and have experienced the same problems both with native .tivo files (both HD & SD recordings), as well as other formats/codecs supported by TD Plus. I had no problems at all moving hundreds of GB to my PC via TTG - the problems are all with TTCB.

I have not spoken with anyone at TiVo regarding these issues. Did you get the impression that this patch they mentioned would take the form of an update release or patch to the TiVo Desktop software, or an update to the TiVo itself?

Regards,
Tarek
I got the impression that it would be part of an update to the Tivo itself, quite possibly included with whatever update solves the admitted slowness issue.

Rob
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 AM   #208
cgould

also getting partial TTG transfers (shows cut off)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post

I've definitely been seeing this on several programs lately I get about 100-200MB of the file, then it just stops/skips and goes to next program. Exact same size each time I try again.
I re-recorded the program on a separate airing, and it txferred fine this time.
2 were HD (Secrets of Denali - old, HD Getaways-Bora Bora (new), one analog (Star Trek: City edge forever from TVLand)..

I've transferred 100s of GB of shows w/ no problems otherwise (trying to back up and swap shows between two drives), I'm on a wired network, and no errors shown. I have had other file errors (eg network glitches, tivo crash, quit TivoDesktop / whatever) and TivoDesktop correctly flagged them as interrupted etc (and even resumed them pretty well!)
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #209
AZrob

Does TTCB Queuing work at all?

Has anybody ever seen the TTCB queuing function work successfully? I, for one, have never been able to get more than 1 show to transfer back to Tivo from my PC, even though the Tivo says it is queuing up shows to transfer after the current one is done. The queued-up shows just simply "fail to transfer".

Rob
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #210
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Has anybody ever seen the TTCB queuing function work successfully?
It works fine for me, with pyTivo. I can't comment on Tivo Desktop.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote