TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #151
naclone

since this is the dedicated HD forum, would it be possible to set up a separate FAQ thread for transferring HD content to S3/THD? I realize solutions are still being worked out but there is information spread out across this thread, this forum as well as the Home Media Forum and it's very difficult to get a handle on what everyone is up to. I think it would be extremely helpful once there are some best practices established to break them out into their own FAQ. Again, since this is the dedicated HD forum I think most of us in here are interested primarily in the transfering of HD content.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #152
cogx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw
ffmpeg_mp2.exe -i file.ts -vcodec mpeg2video -r 29.97 -b 14Mi -maxrate 17Mi -bufsize 1024k -aspect 16:9 -s hd720 -qscale 1.2 -acodec ac3 -ab 384k -ar 48000 -f vob out.mpg
I just tried your -qscale 1.2 params here on my HDTV captures, but the file still skip (fast forward) frames every so many seconds/minutes. When I tried 1.3, it started doing ugly blocking artifacts.

I have had some apparently success, with these settings, though, lowering the resolution and overall quality, to avoid the apparent bitrate spikes that absolutely cripple my S3:

ffmpeg.exe -i "filename.ts" -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec copy -sameq -mbd bits -s 960x540 -qmin 5 "filename.mpg"

Sometimes I have to increase -qmin up to 6 or 7, depending on the source, but it seems to be working for all of my transcoding this week (so far). Like I said in an earlier post, though, I don't know why I have to reduce quality so much to play back HD quality videos on a TiVo S3, without problems.
cogx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #153
miller890

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
10. I just bought TiVo Desktop Plus. Why is TiVo playback quality on my AVI, DIVX, WMV, and Quicktime files so poor?

The following applies to TiVo Desktop for Windows.

By default, TiVo Desktop Plus 2.5 is set to stream video at 480x480 resolution with a constant bitrate of 2000 Kbps. That doesn't look very good scaled on larger displays. With a "hack," you can increase resolution to 640x480 @ 6+ Mbps to significantly improve playback quality on AVI, DIVX, WMV, etc files.

To do that, first download the free XN Resource Editor application.

Run the XN Resource Editor and use it to open the c:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\TiVoTrans.dll.

Select ENCODEPROFILES -> 220 -> English on the left. Scroll down to the bottom where you see:With the TiVo Series2, you could change the hrez value to 640, so I would start with that. I would also increase the vbitrateK to 5000 and the vmaxbitrateK to 5000. If that works fine, you might try increasing the hrez value to 720 and the bitrate values to 6000 or 7000.

To restore the defaults, delete the TiVoTrans.dll and re-run the TiVo Desktop setup program. When you choose the Repair option, the installer will re-copy the original version of the file.[/list]
When I followed these instructions using xn resource editor and I am unable to get the change saved. I stopped all of the tivo daemons, but when I use xn to check to see if my changes were saved, everything is back to the original setting. Any idea how to get the changes to stick?
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #154
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone
since this is the dedicated HD forum, would it be possible to set up a separate FAQ thread for transferring HD content to S3/THD? I realize solutions are still being worked out but there is information spread out across this thread, this forum as well as the Home Media Forum and it's very difficult to get a handle on what everyone is up to. I think it would be extremely helpful once there are some best practices established to break them out into their own FAQ. Again, since this is the dedicated HD forum I think most of us in here are interested primarily in the transfering of HD content.
I will add that information to the TTCB section as I can once I have time to write some simple instructions for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890
When I followed these instructions using xn resource editor and I am unable to get the change saved. I stopped all of the tivo daemons, but when I use xn to check to see if my changes were saved, everything is back to the original setting. Any idea how to get the changes to stick?
You might try rebooting in safe mode to do it (press F8 at bootup). The steps necessary seems to vary somewhat depending on your version of Windows. I did not need to use safe mode in Vista32 or Vista64.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #155
rrg

On-the-fly conversion of TS to MPG?

Having TTG/TTCB is great because I prefer the TiVo's UI to that of most other media players, provided I can easily get content onto it.

My main problem is that most of my recorded content (all the HD content and a lot of the SD content) is in the form of MPEG-2 transport streams (TS files) which can't natively be served to the TiVo, at least not by TiVo Desktop. So currently, in order to transfer these files to the TiVo, I first have to process them with something like VideoRedo to turn them into MPEG-2 program streams (MPG files). This is manual, laborious, and time-consuming.

I don't believe that TiVo Desktop and TiVo Desktop Plus are able to deal with TS files. Are there alternative servers (open-source or not, free or not, whether for Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X) that are able to transcode TS to MPG on the fly, much as TiVo Desktop Plus is able to convert other formats to MPEG for uploading to the TiVo?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #156
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
Having TTG/TTCB is great because I prefer the TiVo's UI to that of most other media players, provided I can easily get content onto it.

My main problem is that most of my recorded content (all the HD content and a lot of the SD content) is in the form of MPEG-2 transport streams (TS files) which can't natively be served to the TiVo, at least not by TiVo Desktop. So currently, in order to transfer these files to the TiVo, I first have to process them with something like VideoRedo to turn them into MPEG-2 program streams (MPG files). This is manual, laborious, and time-consuming.

I don't believe that TiVo Desktop and TiVo Desktop Plus are able to deal with TS files. Are there alternative servers (open-source or not, free or not, whether for Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X) that are able to transcode TS to MPG on the fly, much as TiVo Desktop Plus is able to convert other formats to MPEG for uploading to the TiVo?
You can use HDTV2MPEG2 free utility to convert mpeg2 transport streams to mpeg2 program streams (no transcoding just a format conversion). As a bonus you can optionally use the program to cut out commercials as well in case you don't have a commercial editor to do that already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #157
dakk

I just installed Tivo series 3 hd ...I already had Tivo series 2dt ......when transferring 30 Rock to computer using TivoDesktop 2.52, the series 3 reads 31 min. 498 MB ......My old series 2dt reads 31min. 853 MB .....the series 3 unit when transferring to TivoDesktop is doing this to all recordings.
When I run the files thru VideoReDo..their are way to many audio synch errors, than when I load it into DVDStyler 1.5 I get :
Erroneous packet size, skipping
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 08 video 07] [ 90.03%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 08 video 07] [ 95.07%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 09 video 08] [100.00%]
INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
INFO: [???] File C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\dvd\dvd\title0-0-0-0.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
**ERROR: [???] File unrecogniseable!
**ERROR: [???] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
Error executing of command: mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -V -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin dvd\dvd\title0-0-0.vob" "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin \dvd\dvd\title0-0-0-0.m2v" "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin \dvd\title0-0-0-0.mp2"

Is this a hardware problem specific to my series 3 unit?
Has anyone had a problem like this?
I have to stop recording on my series 3.....I can't put them on dvd
Could someone please point me in the right direction
I have some season series's coming to an end, one or two episodes left, I would hate to lose them, esp. after all the time & effort to get the full series.
Need help fast....................Thank You
dakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #158
rrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
You can use HDTV2MPEG2 free utility to convert mpeg2 transport streams to mpeg2 program streams (no transcoding just a format conversion). As a bonus you can optionally use the program to cut out commercials as well in case you don't have a commercial editor to do that already.
In the past, HDTV2MPEG2's conversion to MPG format was known to be problematic; despite its name, the main use of this utility (in my experience) has been to consolidate TS-file recordings that had been split into pieces, or to split them into pieces, or to trim them, but always with another TS file as the final target. And yes, sometimes for editing, but the results often caused problems with some MPEG decoders, causing them to lose audio during playback at edit points. (My Roku HD1000 was especially affected in this regard.)

VideoRedo Plus is a much better solution for all these uses (MPG-to-TS conversion and vice versa, consolidating split TS files, and of course editing out commercials, trimming, etc.).

What I'm hoping to find is not just a tool for doing TS-to-MPG conversion, but something that will automate or semi-automate the process and present TS files as transferable to a TiVo (much as AVIs and other things are transferrable via TiVo Desktop Plus). Ideally you would just drop the file into the directory that the TiVo Desktop (or equivalent) server uses, and it would convert on the fly and transfer that to the TiVo.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #159
dakk

I just installed Tivo series 3 hd ...I already had Tivo series 2dt ......when transferring 30 Rock to computer using TivoDesktop 2.52, the series 3 reads 31 min. 498 MB ......My old series 2dt reads 31min. 853 MB .....the series 3 unit when transferring to TivoDesktop is doing this to all recordings.
When I run the files thru VideoReDo..their are way to many audio synch errors, than when I load it into DVDStyler 1.5 I get :
Prepare
Cleaning temporary directory
Generating menus
Generating menu 1 of 1
Prepare
Converting jpg to mpeg
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Parsing & checking input files.
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] YUV colorspace detected.
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Starting decompression
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Image dimensions are 720x480
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Movie frame rate is: 29.970030 frames/second
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Interlaced frames, top field first.
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Frame size: 720 x 480
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Number of Loops 1
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Now generating YUV4MPEG stream.
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Processing non-interlaced/interleaved C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\menu1-0.mpg_bg.jpg, size 155981
INFO: [jpeg2yuv] Rescaling color values.
++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] Unknown stream tag encountered: 'C420jpeg'
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Selecting DVD output profile
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\menu1-0.mpg_bg.m2v
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 480 pel
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 1 = 1:1 pixels
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 4 = 30000.0/1001.0 (NTSC VIDEO)
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 9000 KBit/s
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Quality factor: 8 (1=best, 31=worst)
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Field order for input: top-field-first
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Sequence unlimited length
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Search radius: 16
INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP SIZE RANGE 9 TO 18
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting colour/gamma parameters to "NTSC"
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Progressive format frames = 0
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Buffering 45 frames
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX and EXTENDED MMX for QUANTIZER!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX for TRANSFORM!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!
INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP LENGTH = 1
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame start 0 I 0 0
INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame end 0 220.68 220.68 8.6 8.57
INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP LENGTH = 0
Multiplexing audio and video
INFO: [???] File C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\menu1-0.mpg_bg.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
INFO: [???] File C:\Program Files\DVDStyler\data\silence.mp2 looks like an MPEG Audio stream.
INFO: [???] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-standard options!
INFO: [???] Found 1 audio streams and 1 video streams
INFO: [???] Selecting dvdauthor DVD output profile
INFO: [???] Multiplexing video program stream!
INFO: [???] Scanning for header info: Video stream e0 (C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\menu1-0.mpg_bg.m2v)
INFO: [???] VIDEO STREAM: e0
INFO: [???] Frame width : 720
INFO: [???] Frame height : 480
INFO: [???] Aspect ratio : 1:1 pixels
INFO: [???] Picture rate : 29.970 frames/sec
INFO: [???] Bit rate : 9000000 bits/sec
INFO: [???] Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
INFO: [???] CSPF : 0
INFO: [???] Scanning for header info: Audio stream c0 (C:\Program Files\DVDStyler\data\silence.mp2)
INFO: [???] MPEG AUDIO STREAM: c0
INFO: [???] Audio version : 1.0
INFO: [???] Layer : 2
INFO: [???] CRC checksums : no
INFO: [???] Bit rate : 16384 bytes/sec (128 kbit/sec)
INFO: [???] Frequency : 48000 Hz
INFO: [???] Mode : 0 stereo
INFO: [???] Mode extension : 0
INFO: [???] Copyright bit : 0 no copyright
INFO: [???] Original/Copy : 0 copy
INFO: [???] Emphasis : 0 none
INFO: [???] SYSTEMS/PROGRAM stream:
INFO: [???] rough-guess multiplexed stream data rate : 9319496
INFO: [???] target data-rate specified : 10080000
INFO: [???] Setting specified specified data rate: 10080000
INFO: [???] Scanned to end AU 0
INFO: [???] Run-in Sectors = 89 Video delay = 13019 Audio delay = 0
INFO: [???] New sequence commences...
INFO: [???] Video e0: buf= 237568 frame=000000 sector=00000000
INFO: [???] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=000000 sector=00000000
INFO: [???] STREAM e0 completed @ frame 0.
INFO: [???] STREAM c0 completed @ frame 249.
INFO: [???] Multiplex completion at SCR=536868.
INFO: [???] Video e0: buf= 237568 frame=000000 sector=00000021
INFO: [???] Audio c0: buf= 1024 frame=000249 sector=00000048
INFO: [???] VIDEO_STATISTICS: e0
INFO: [???] Video Stream length: 41314 bytes
INFO: [???] Sequence headers: 1
INFO: [???] Sequence ends : 1
INFO: [???] No. Pictures : 0
INFO: [???] No. Groups : 1
INFO: [???] No. I Frames : 1 avg. size 41314 bytes
INFO: [???] No. P Frames : 0 avg. size 0 bytes
INFO: [???] No. B Frames : 0 avg. size 0 bytes
INFO: [???] Average bit-rate : 9905600 bits/sec
INFO: [???] Peak bit-rate : 0 bits/sec
INFO: [???] BUFFERING stream too short for useful statistics
INFO: [???] AUDIO_STATISTICS: c0
INFO: [???] Audio stream length 96000 bytes.
INFO: [???] Syncwords : 250
INFO: [???] Frames : 250 padded
INFO: [???] Frames : 0 unpadded
INFO: [???] BUFFERING stream too short for useful statistics
INFO: [???] MUX STATUS: no under-runs detected.
Multiplexing subtitles (buttons) into mpeg
DVDAuthor::spumux, version 0.6.14-GfD-1.
Build options: gnugetopt iconv freetype
Send bugs to <gfd@boraxsoft.de>
INFO: Locale=C
INFO: Converting filenames to US-ASCII
STAT: 0:00:00.000
INFO: PNG had 2 colors
INFO: Pickbuttongroups, success with 1 groups, useimg=1
INFO: Found EOF in .sub file.
INFO: Max_sub_size=148
INFO: 1 subtitles added, 0 subtitles skipped, stream: 32, offset: 0.18
Create VOB files
Fix MPEG-file: G:\DVD'S\PBS\Ken Burns\Ken Burns American Stories - ''The Congress'' (Recorded Nov 7, 2007, WNET).mpg
warning: couldn't find any valid system header. I'm continuing anyway
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 00 video 01] [ 0.01%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 07 video 03] [ 5.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 11 video 04] [ 10.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 12 video 05] [ 15.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 14 video 07] [ 20.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 14 video 09] [ 25.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 15 video 10] [ 30.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 10] [ 35.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 10] [ 40.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 11] [ 45.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 11] [ 50.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 55.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 60.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 65.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 70.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 14] [ 75.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 80.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 85.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 90.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [ 95.00%]
DemultiplexingXXX : [audio 16 video 15] [100.00%]
INFO: [???] File C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\title0-0-0-0.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
**ERROR: [???] File unrecogniseable!
**ERROR: [???] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
Error executing of command: mplex -f 8 -S 0 -M -V -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\title0-0-0.vob" "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\title0-0-0-0.m2v" "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin Faye\dvd\title0-0-0-0.mp2"
s this a hardware problem specific to my series 3 unit?
Has anyone had a problem like this?
I have to stop recording on my series 3.....I can't put them on dvd
I also noticed when Cablevision came to remove cable box & installed the cards in TCD648250B Series3 HD Digital Media Recorder my signaled from tivo to my TV is now on HDMI,Composite 1 & S Video 1 where w/my series 2 dt box it was on HDMI,TV channel 03 NTSC & Composite 1, now all I get is snow on NTSC
Could someone please point me in the right direction
I have some season series's coming to an end, one or two episodes left, I would hate to lose them, esp. after all the time & effort to get the full series.
dakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #160
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogx
I just tried your -qscale 1.2 params here on my HDTV captures, but the file still skip (fast forward) frames every so many seconds/minutes. When I tried 1.3, it started doing ugly blocking artifacts.

I have had some apparently success, with these settings, though, lowering the resolution and overall quality, to avoid the apparent bitrate spikes that absolutely cripple my S3:

ffmpeg.exe -i "filename.ts" -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec copy -sameq -mbd bits -s 960x540 -qmin 5 "filename.mpg"

Sometimes I have to increase -qmin up to 6 or 7, depending on the source, but it seems to be working for all of my transcoding this week (so far). Like I said in an earlier post, though, I don't know why I have to reduce quality so much to play back HD quality videos on a TiVo S3, without problems.
Did you include -maxrate 17Mi -bufsize 1024k and -ab 384k options to cap the video and audio bitrates respectively? My tests seem to indicate that it is critical to cap video peaks below 19mbps to avoid pixelation and audio bitrates below 448k to avoid the fast forwarding and skipping you are describing. High audio bitrates will cripple playback even more than the high video bitrate peaks (especially ac3 audio). I think high audio bitrates might be crippling your playback. But increasing qmin appears to be lowering your video bitrate similar to using -maxrate. Just include -maxrate and you can lower qmin as much as you want.

I have been trying the -sameq option as well and its working just as well as -qscale, but the -maxrate and -ab 384 options have to be included to cap the a/v peaks. I think the -qmin option should be excluded when using either -qscale or -sameq to avoid conflict. I'm not sure about -mbd but that might also be contraindicated when using sameq or qscale.

I have also eliminated the -r option from my recent encodes since the tivo does not seem to care what the framerate is and it has not caused any problems yet. I assume that will reduce the need for resyncing due to changing the source framerate but don't know if that matters much. Still learning. Just been trying it out to see if encode time will increase or decrease.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #161
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I have been having my fair share of trouble with TTG getting complete HD programs to transfer to the PC. Many halt after a few MB, some reach into the hundreds of MB, and the Pats/Colts game CBS-HD) made it to about 3.2 GB. Some HD programs do transfer completely. I now have 9.2 on the hi def TiVoes.

I took episode 1 of The War (PBS-HD) which would only transfer 7MB and MRV'd it to another THD from "Paused Location." The location was 1+ min in - at the actual start of the episode. Then I TTG'd that version and it made it to 135MB.

So I am thinking there are some glitches within some recordings that trip TTG up and halt the transfer.

VideoRedo openned the 7MB .TiVo OK. Its about 5 sec long. VideoRedo would not open the later 135MB .TiVo, complaining "MPEG Layer 1 audio not supported." However, post DSD, MPEG Inspector shows the .mpg audio to be AC3 2.0 @384KHz. VideoRedo also opens the .mpg and reports the same audio.

I am not sure what further to make of this. One question - does codec etal. have any effect at all on the TTG transfer process?

-----------------

Another little quirk: The TTG file (.tivo) is named as recorded on the date the program was MRV'd to the source TiVo instead of the actual recording date.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #162
dlfl
Cranky old novice

FYI about TiVo-VideoReDo-Autoprocessor (TVAP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
I've tried various such utilities in the past but I am pretty picky about cut points and I've never seen one get it 100% right. With my editor (Womble) as I'm sure is the case with VideoRedo after some experience it only takes about 5 minutes of editing per 1 hour of show to remove commercials and then maybe another 10 minutes or so to save to disk (for HD content, less for SD content).
You can easily configure TVAP so VideoReDo (optionally) runs a Quick-Stream_Fix then runs the AdDetective scan without making any cuts, just creating a project (.vprj) file. Later you can load the project file into VRD (or TVSuite) manually, review the scene marks and cut as desired, then save the final version. With this procedure everything except the final review/cut is automated. You can do the manual review/cut on batches of videos.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #163
bkdtv

If you are using VideoRedo TVSuite, be sure to grab the latest version (v3.1.3.545), as it improves compatibility with TiVo files.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #164
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
If you are using VideoRedo TVSuite, be sure to grab the latest version (v3.1.3.545), as it improves compatibility with TiVo files.
That's good. I have not yet downloaded my purchase from the other day. Does installing this install new codecs which could potentially relieve problems with playback such as HD .tivo in WMP or other codec issues?
Old 11-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #165
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
That's good. I have not yet downloaded my purchase from the other day. Does installing this install new codecs which could potentially relieve problems with playback such as HD .tivo in WMP or other codec issues?
Unfortunately, no.

VideoRedo uses their own codecs for their application so it does not affect anything else.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #166
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Unfortunately, no.

VideoRedo uses their own codecs for their application so it does not affect anything else.
I think I've hit a snag that was reported before but I am not sure. After editing a recording in VR, the edited video has quite a few glitches (several seconds of audio and a bit of pixelation) when played on the original S3 that were not there in the original, and are not there if I merely TTG the recording and TTC it right back untouched. (Thus I eliminated that it might be a snag with TTG itself.)

If this is the same problem that already has been identified, has the fix been made in newest VR version?

Also, is it possible to assign those VR codecs to be used with other programs/extensions or are they really just internal/exclusive to VR?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #167
bkdtv

HDTivo,

The latest version linked above definitely has some fixes. I had two recordings that would not play correctly when run through the previous version of VideoRedo. The latest version of TVSuite (v3.1.3.545) fixed that for me.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #168
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Edit: I found 545 in their forum with a post about changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
HDTivo,

The latest version linked above definitely has some fixes. I had two recordings that would not play correctly when run through the previous version of VideoRedo. The latest version of TVSuite (v3.1.3.545) fixed that for me.
I downloaded this morning and my version is v3.1.3.544

I don't see an obvious place on the site to get the next version and from the VRTVS menu it reports I have the latest version.

I have not had success yet in getting "glitch" free output, but I don't want to say anything more yet if my version is a bit "off" ...

=============

Seperately, to add a note about one of my little experiments, I took an HD recording, remuxed through VR to .mpg, and TTC'd it to a 240. It transfered, and once the transfer was finished the 240 played the AC3 5.1 @384KHz audio fine, but the screen was black. Just a little cool that I could get the file to transfer and the audio to play on the 240. During transfer, the audio was choppy.

Last edited by HDTiVo : 11-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #169
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I have a wrinkle to add to the above. The glitches only occur on my S3, not my THDs. Whether using v544, v545 or the old version of VRplus I traditional have used, the S3 has the problem and the THDs do not.

So I guess its limited to an interaction between the S3 and VR.

The original recording was made on the S3 at Medium.

==================

More info:

Running the video through VRTVSv545 to a DVD folder produced a .vob I change to .mpg which ran on the S3 with less trouble, ie. fewer, more minor glitches. I had set the output of VR to allow non-spec DVD and not change the resolution or bitrate, .ie no transcoding. (S3 Medium: 480x480 @~3.5mbps;MP2 48KHz@192K)

Taking that vob folder and running it through DVDShrink @75% gave me an output that is playing without a hitch on the S3. Again, both play fine on THDs.

Last edited by HDTiVo : 11-12-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #170
mackie

Hello folks. I am a happy owner of a TivO Series 3 HD box. I was even happier once TiVO released TivoToGO for this model.

I recently transferred some recorded Hi-Def shows to my PC and I started viewing them with Windows Media Player and to my surprise, the playback speed was jerky. It was like watching stuff in slow motion.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Any ideas on how to solve it? I am sure that it's something simple.
mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #171
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackie View Post
I am sure that it's something simple.
Famous last words.

Most likely a codec issue. (Isn't it always? )

http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #172
mackie

Hi Greg.

I have a ton of codecs on my machine. I think I just need one that works with the TiVO files.

Are you recommending that I download the codec pack at the site you mentioned?

I'm sure that I already have ffdshow.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #173
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Hi Greg.

I have a ton of codecs on my machine. I think I just need one that works with the TiVO files.

Are you recommending that I download the codec pack at the site you mentioned?

I'm sure that I already have ffdshow.
Usually just throwing codecs at the problem and hoping one works doesn't work out so well, but a lot of people have had success using that particular codec pack.

It installs the Intervideo MPEG-2 codec which seems to do the trick.

YMMV

If it doesn't you probably have another codec with a higher merit value. DirectShow Filter manager may help solve that issue. But things can get ugly quick.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #174
mackie

I am going to give it a whirl but it's really strange. Usually when I have codec problems I either don't see video or I don't hear audio. I've never had this jerky motion problem coupled with audio flakiness.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #175
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I am going to give it a whirl but it's really strange. Usually when I have codec problems I either don't see video or I don't hear audio. I've never had this jerky motion problem coupled with audio flakiness.
Since Tivo2Go was released couple years back I've read about all kinds of weirdness with MPEG-2 codecs and playing Tivo's flavor of MPEG-2.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #176
mackie

I never had problems with standard video and TiVO to go.

I need to update my post. The audio is actually perfect. The video is what's goofy. The playback is not smooth. The picture quality is great. The motion is simply jerky.

Installing the codec pack didn't help.

When I look up the properties of the files being played back, I see something called Elecard Image scaler. Maybe that's what's bad?

I just don't know how to get rid of it.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #177
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I just don't know how to get rid of it.
May want to try DirectShow Filter Manager and lower that things merit value. Worth a shot.

http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

Reboot might be necessary after making changes. (Suggest making a backup image of your machine if you can prior to messing with that software.) You can royally break things.

On my system that filter (Elecard ImageScaler) has a merit value of "00200000". (aka "Do Not Use")

Last edited by greg_burns : 11-12-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #178
c3
TiVoholic

Isn't Elecard ImageScaler the one that's built into the TiVo Desktop Plus? I think the system is simply underpowered for the task. On my 2.5GHz P4 (a few years old), playing back SD uses about 50% CPU. Playing back HD uses 100%, which is too high, and video is jerky.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #179
mackie

c3, I concur with you on the CPU usage.

When I play the Hi Def video, it does take up a lot of CPU. My task manager shows the CPU being maxed out.

Definitely interested in masking the use of this Elecard Image Scaler.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #180
mackie

In the end I downloaded this Filter Manager called RadLight Filter manager that let me de-register the Elecard Image Scaler piece of crap. I tried to set the merit value of the Elecard codec to be MERIT_DO_NOT_USE but it appears that it was already set to that value!

In my frustration I just de-registered the bastard.

Once I did that and replayed my .tivo videos, I achieved smooth playback! CPU usage wasn't continuously maxed out either. I checked the codec being used by the media player and saw that it was some other one called MainConcept MPEG-2 Decoder. Probably one of many codecs I've downloaded to my computer over the years.

The Radlight Filter manager (v1.4) can be obtained from this site: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-7862.html

I tried to get version 5 but ran into various restrictions regarding its download.

Codecs man, what a pain they can be at times.

I hope that this post can be of value to others. I know that it was a frakking struggle for me to finally solve this issue.