TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #91
shanebowman

yes, but I have given Tivo Desktop server access and I would have thought Tivo would not be able to access my music and photos if this was the problem
shanebowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #92
kas25

I have taken non-hd home movies and got them in MP4 so they can play on my Apple TV and Ipod. It sounds like I can transfer them to my Tivo. I have paid for the upgraded desktop but how do I get them to show up on my tivo.? Do I move these files to My Tivo Recordings folder? Thanks.
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #93
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebowman
yes, but I have given Tivo Desktop server access and I would have thought Tivo would not be able to access my music and photos if this was the problem
I believe these use different ports, so the fact that one is working does not necessarily mean anything for the other.

I'm not certain what ports Tivo Desktop requires to grab a list of recordings from the TiVo -- maybe 80 and 443? If someone else knows for certain, hopefully they will post.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #94
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25
I have taken non-hd home movies and got them in MP4 so they can play on my Apple TV and Ipod. It sounds like I can transfer them to my Tivo. I have paid for the upgraded desktop but how do I get them to show up on my tivo.? Do I move these files to My Tivo Recordings folder? Thanks.
Yes, you need to either move the files or put shortcuts to them in your "My Tivo Recordings" folder for them to show up in TD+.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #95
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicht10069
Appologies if this is the wrong forum to ask this. I have a Tivo HD and just downloaded the desktop 2.5.1. Apparently of my 82 recording all are copy protected and can't be transfered EXCEPT the hi-def law and order recordings. This appears to be exactly backward of what my understanding was. Anyone else experience this?
Broadcast channels should not be copy protected, even when received via cable. Other than all of TNTHD and some of Discovery HD Theater, all of my digital cable recordings are marked as copy protected.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #96
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Yes, you need to either move the files or put shortcuts to them in your "My Tivo Recordings" folder for them to show up in TD+.
Thanks. I'm amazed that my home movies are now on my tivo. The fast forward is awesome compared to Apple TV. Its just like Tivo recordings which is great. Now if I can get home movies in a folder called "Home Movies" I would be psyched. Any chance of this?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #97
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25
Thanks. I'm amazed that my home movies are now on my tivo. The fast forward is awesome compared to Apple TV. Its just like Tivo recordings which is great. Now if I can get home movies in a folder called "Home Movies" I would be psyched. Any chance of this?
I think it's possible with .TiVo files (that contain all the original program information data) but I don't think it's possible otherwise. Don't know if anyone has developed an application that can create .TiVo files with the relevant program description data filled out, but that seems doable now that .TiVo files have been cracked.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #98
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I think it's possible with .TiVo files (that contain all the original program information data) but I don't think it's possible otherwise. Don't know if anyone has developed an application that can create .TiVo files with the relevant program description data filled out, but that seems doable now that .TiVo files have been cracked.
TivoDecode can decrypt a .tivo file, but does it know how to re-encrypt it? Wouldn't that be necessary?

Galleon does some of this stuff already I think (folders?)
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3846339
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #99
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
TivoDecode can decrypt a .tivo file, but does it know how to re-encrypt it? Wouldn't that be necessary?

Galleon does some of this stuff already I think (folders?)
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3846339
Maybe I misread that thread but Galleon can present itself to Tivo with programs in folders but AFAIK nobody has figured out how to push files onto Tivo and make them go into their own folders.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #100
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Maybe I misread that thread but Galleon can present itself to Tivo with programs in folders but AFAIK nobody has figured out how to push files onto Tivo and make them go into their own folders.
Ah, that is probably my misunderstanding. Makes sense.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #101
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
You are talking about the header info? I have to read up. What do you do with the decrypted header info?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #102
moyekj

One thing I haven't tried to see if folders via TTCB are even possible: Use TTG to grab 2 shows from Tivo in same folder. Then delete those shows on the Tivo and use TTCB to put back the same shows on the Tivo. Do they both end up in same folder after that round trip? If so then that means the .TiVo metadata is what is important. If it doesn't work then it would mean that folders are not supported via TTCB.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #103
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
One thing I haven't tried to see if folders via TTCB are even possible: Use TTG to grab 2 shows from Tivo in same folder. Then delete those shows on the Tivo and use TTCB to put back the same shows on the Tivo. Do they both end up in same folder after that round trip? If so then that means the .TiVo metadata is what is important. If it doesn't work then it would mean that folders are not supported via TTCB.
The meta data is what's important. But I think that the shows (series) have to be in the program guide (or NPL) too for TiVo to group it. Thus, if you do this with some old cancelled series, you won't get grouping.

If you "steal" headers from shows and attach them to other mpgs (TiVoAttach) you could get grouping...but no control over the name of your group.

Never tried this with Wishlists - give that a shot to see if you can come up with grouping more like what you want.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #104
bkdtv

Quote:
One thing I haven't tried to see if folders via TTCB are even possible: Use TTG to grab 2 shows from Tivo in same folder. Then delete those shows on the Tivo and use TTCB to put back the same shows on the Tivo. Do they both end up in same folder after that round trip?
Yes, they do.

Now we just need a program to add that metadata...
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #105
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
You are talking about the header info? I have to read up. What do you do with the decrypted header info?
Inside the decrypted header info is (presumably) an xml doc that has the show description, series id, etc.

If you could decrypt it you could build an editor to change the data. But that is only half the battle. You would need a way to encrypt it again before sending it back to the tivo so that it was in an expected format.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4638713

Edit: another related thread I ran across tonight...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4722964

Last edited by greg_burns : 11-02-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #106
AZrob

Hi All,

I realize this is probably an obvious newbie-level question, but I have not exactly found an answer in my searches:

I have Tivo Desktop Plus and it works fine with my S2, both sending and receiving shows.

I am planning to replace the S2 with a TivoHD, but first I will transferring all of the unviewed shows on the S2 to my PC.

Can I be sure that when I buy the TivoHD that it will be able to transfer back and play those shows from my PC that I originally sent from the S2? I'm pretty sure this is SUPPOSED to work, but I wanted to be sure that people's experience has confirmed this.

I have Tivo Desktop Plus.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #107
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob
Hi All,

I realize this is probably an obvious newbie-level question, but I have not exactly found an answer in my searches:

I have Tivo Desktop Plus and it works fine with my S2, both sending and receiving shows.

I am planning to replace the S2 with a TivoHD, but first I will transferring all of the unviewed shows on the S2 to my PC.

Can I be sure that when I buy the TivoHD that it will be able to transfer back and play those shows from my PC that I originally sent from the S2? I'm pretty sure this is SUPPOSED to work, but I wanted to be sure that people's experience has confirmed this.

I have Tivo Desktop Plus.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
That will work, but the transferred shows may not group back into folders when transferred to your new TivoHD. (Due to the guide data (series ID?) being different than what is embedded in those tivo files as is being discussed here)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #108
AZrob

I can live with that, thanks.

I just discovered the web browser version of Tivo Desktop by reading this FAQ. Where else is this documented? I can't find anything on the Tivo website that explains this option, or even mentions it.

I guess it's pretty straightforward...but one question: what does the word "classic" at the bottom of each web page mean?

Thanks,

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #109
seattlewendell

Quote:
I can live with that, thanks.

I just discovered the web browser version of Tivo Desktop by reading this FAQ. Where else is this documented? I can't find anything on the Tivo website that explains this option, or even mentions it.

I guess it's pretty straightforward...but one question: what does the word "classic" at the bottom of each web page mean?

Thanks,

Rob
Classic means no folders. Click it and notice all your shows are listed individually instead of in folders.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #110
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
It is not a documented feature.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #111
moyekj

Quote:
It is not a documented feature.
Actually it is part of the Tivo HME SDK which can be found here:
http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/

Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #112
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Actually it is part of the Tivo HME SDK which can be found here:
http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/
Not to split hairs (and I may be totally wrong), but does the SDK really describe the web page he is referring to? Or does it just go into the "TiVoConnect?Command=" stuff you pass to your tivo via http to retrieve XML info and such. (And is that even in the HME SDK you linked to?)

Ok, I am spiltting hairs.

Edit:

It looks like the bottom part of this page (link below) may have more info directly related to developing against the TivoDesktop features (as opposed to HME stuff). But I can't get the links to go anywhere for me.

http://dynamic.tivo.com/developer/

Last edited by greg_burns : 11-02-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #113
moyekj

Quote:
Not to split hairs (and I may be totally wrong), but does the SDK really describe the web page he is referring to? Or does it just go into the "TiVoConnect?Command=" stuff you pass to your tivo via http to retrieve XML info and such. (And is that even in the HME SDK you linked to?)

Ok, I am spiltting hairs.

Edit:

It looks like the bottom part of this page (link below) may have more info directly related to developing against the TivoDesktop features (as opposed to HME stuff). But I can't get the links to go anywhere for me.

http://dynamic.tivo.com/developer/
You're right, sorry about that. A lot of information I gathered was from here:
http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/1644
That had a nice link to some documentation:
Music and Photos Server Protocol Specification, however that link no longer works

Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #114
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
A lot of information I gathered was from here:
http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/1644
Lot of good info there.

Quote:
The same TiVo screen also shows your MAC ID (formerly the MAK, for Media Access Key), which will be your password to gain access to the TiVo's metadata, so note that as well.
And some not so good.

Quote:
It's ironic that the documentation explaining how do to this with the TiVo Home Media Option API holds the key to querying the TiVo box itself, which is much more interesting.
+1
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #115
amukhael

I am not using Desktop Plus and I was able to watch (download/stream) an .mpeg movie just by throwing the shortcut to the video into the My Tivo Recordings folder. However, I decided to convert my 20+gig HD movie (Hot Fuzz) by converting from .ts to .mpeg. The resulting file showed up in my Tivo and looks gorgeous, but alas, it's sans sound! I am re-converting using another app I found (DVBPortal's TSConverter) hoping that the AC3 will work and I will let you know if that helps.
Did anyone on this forum successfully download/stream an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray rip onto the Series 3? Will Desktop Plus convert any video file into H.264 format?
amukhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #116
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
What about high-definition recordings?...The TiVos cannot currently play other formats (AVI, MP4, etc) in high-definition. The TiVo will play those high-definition files, but they will be converted to SD by Tivo Desktop.
I wonder why you wrote "currently" in the above--has their been discussion that this is in the works?

I would not be surprised if it was NOT forthcoming--I think/expect Tivo does not have the horses to decode/display an HD Xvid file?
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #117
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhael
I am not using Desktop Plus and I was able to watch (download/stream) an .mpeg movie just by throwing the shortcut to the video into the My Tivo Recordings folder. However, I decided to convert my 20+gig HD movie (Hot Fuzz) by converting from .ts to .mpeg. The resulting file showed up in my Tivo and looks gorgeous, but alas, it's sans sound! I am re-converting using another app I found (DVBPortal's TSConverter) hoping that the AC3 will work and I will let you know if that helps.
Did anyone on this forum successfully download/stream an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray rip onto the Series 3? Will Desktop Plus convert any video file into H.264 format?
The S3 will not play ac3 5.1 audio above 512kbps bitrate, and even that high a rate will cause continuous skipping and dropouts. You will need to downsample the audio to 384kbps for best results. And the video bitrate should be below 17mbps to avoid pixelation during playback.

Last edited by wgw : 11-05-2007 at 10:30 PM.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #118
amukhael

wgw,

Thank you for the helpful suggestion! If you don't mind me asking, what would you recommend I use to downsample the audio track? I know I should probably head to Doom9, but I figure you have dealt with this plenty Also, will the 5.1 properties of the audio feed be retained? Sorry for being so newbish to all this, but with the recent Series3 firmware upgrades I am discovering a whole new world of encoding and muxing

Thanks in advance!

-armen
amukhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #119
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
I wonder why you wrote "currently" in the above--has their been discussion that this is in the works?

I would not be surprised if it was NOT forthcoming--I think/expect Tivo does not have the horses to decode/display an HD Xvid file?
The hi def TiVoes' mpeg decoders are capable of playing mpeg4 based content. What exactly that really covers, I don't know. Of course, in theory TiVo Desktop could transcode to HD MPEG2 and send to TiVo. Or someone could make some nice little program to do so long before TiVo ever gets around to it.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #120
moyekj

I was playing around with the https server and decided to take a look at page source of the Now Playing list on my browser. You can pull network logos and a few other things directly off your Tivos which I found quite amusing. For example for me, the NBC logo and the dancing Tivo can be obtained as:
Code:
http://192.168.1.101/ChannelLogo/logo-65556.png
http://192.168.1.101/images/tivodance.gif
I'm sure there are other perhaps more interesting/useful things to find for those willing to explore more...

Last edited by moyekj : 11-04-2007 at 12:38 AM.