TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #31
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Is there any word on when Toast will be updated to support the Series3 and THD?
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #32
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
...these notes are based on a relatively small sample of files I have tried so far, so may not representative of a much larger sample size...
My sample size equals exactly one (so far) and I really appreciate your efforts--I suspect though that a separate thread would be best for this.

My experience (VideoReDo) was merely to edit-and-output an HD TV show to .mpg--the result plays perfectly on the PC but not on the S3. There is an odd "racing" effect that occurs several times a minute; the video jumps and the audio races to keep up. Interestingly it is in SYNC to the end, but it's unwatchable for the jumps.

I've used VRD with HD for a couple years but .tivo files are completely new to me. It will be interesting to see what DanR (VRD developer) finds when he gets his new TivoHD in a week or two. But given the past, he No Doubt will figure out the problem(s) and unless the solution lay exclusively w/in the Tivo he will fix it.
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #33
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

moyekj :

VideoRedo has a free trial. Give it a shot.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #34
bkdtv

Has anyone with VideoRedo tried the TiVo-VideoReDo-AutoProcessor ("TVAP") program?

Every time you transfer a recording from the Tivo to your PC, this free utility automatically runs it through VideoRedo to remove the commercials. The recording can then be transferred back to the Tivo without commercials. More information and a download link here:

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=4712

I haven't tested it with the Series3 or TivoHD, but intend to do so this weekend.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #35
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Has anyone with VideoRedo tried the TiVo-VideoReDo-AutoProcessor ("TVAP") program?

Every time you transfer a recording from the Tivo to your PC, this free utility automatically runs it through VideoRedo to remove the commercials. The recording can then be transferred back to the Tivo without commercials. More information and a download link here:

I haven't tested it with the Series3 or TivoHD, but intend to do so this weekend.
So with this and TD Plus you could automatically TTG new recordings to the PC and have them run through VR to come out with a comercial free .tivo or .mpg?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #36
moyekj

Quote:

I've tried various such utilities in the past but I am pretty picky about cut points and I've never seen one get it 100% right. With my editor (Womble) as I'm sure is the case with VideoRedo after some experience it only takes about 5 minutes of editing per 1 hour of show to remove commercials and then maybe another 10 minutes or so to save to disk (for HD content, less for SD content).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #37
bkdtv

Quote:
I've tried various such utilities in the past but I am pretty picky about cut points and I've never seen one get it 100% right. With my editor (Womble) as I'm sure is the case with VideoRedo after some experience it only takes about 5 minutes of editing per 1 hour of show to remove commercials and then maybe another 10 minutes or so to save to disk (for HD content, less for SD content).
In my experience, VideoRedo is fairly accurate for series programming from the networks. Sometimes it will miss a commercial, but I've never seen it cut part of the actual series program. It is much less accurate when it comes to sports and other live broadcasts.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #38
naclone

Quote:
Does the same thing happen with 640?
Sorry, I'm a jackass. I didn't realize I had toggled to "panel" mode. all good now.

naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #39
nexus99

Is there anyway to use TTCB with content origoanlly from HD-DVD or Blu Ray?
nexus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #40
SeanC
ECT

Anyone else have a hell of a time editing tivotrans.dll?

I originally opened it, saved it as a differnt file name, killed all the running Tivo processes, deleted the original, and renamed the edited one. When I checked my work, the edited file, now named tivotrans.dll still had the default settings.

I tried many different variations to get the correct setting into tivotrans.dll. Eventually I had to go into safemode and do the editing there to get it to stick.

That said, I now have 720, 6000, 6000. I transferred 2 files. One came out great, the other squished.

The first file is 640x368, the second is 592x256.

How is TD supposed to handle different resolutions when the file transferrs?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 AM   #41
DinoBambino

Is anyone else experiencing a complete hogging of pc resources when doing a divx TTCB transfer to Tivo (Tivo HD)?

My PC becomes basically unusable when transferring the files. The PC specs are a AMD 3400 Sempron with 1.5 GB RAM running XP Pro. The network conneciton between the PC and Tivo is wired.

I have uninstalled Tivo Desktop and reinstalled, which seems to have helped slightly. But the pc is still unusable.

I'm starting to think purchasing the Plus version wasn't such a great idea.

Any suggestions? Would doing a batch conversion of divx files to mpeg and then TTCB be a better solution?

Sorry for the semi rant, but I have spent too much time troubleshooting this today/tonight/next morning.

Thanks.

***Edit: Arrgh! The computer went to screen saver mode, which must have stopped the file transfer. Now the partial file that was transferred is gone from the Now Playing List on the Tivo. Also, when I first selected the file to transfer to the Tivo my computer disappered from the NPL list on Tivo.

I really wanted to get rid of the Xbox running XBMC. I don't really play many games - I was using it as a media center.

Last edited by DinoBambino : 10-28-2007 at 12:35 AM.
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #42
rictus

I'm seeing two problems with TTG from my Series3:

-- Many of the programs I've downloaded appear to have incorrect lengths in Windows Media Player--for example, WMP says they're 15 minutes long when they're actually 60 minutes long. WMP will actually play past the 15 minute mark, but I can't fast-forward or use the time bar past this point. Some other people on the TTG forum mentioned seeing this, but I was wondering if anyone over here knew of a solution.

-- On one particular program (a Planet Earth HD episode), both TiVo Desktop and the built-in HTTPS server refuse to transfer more than 200MB of the file, even though the entire 7GB episode is available and watchable on the TiVo. Most of the other Planet Earth episodes transferred fine (though I think a couple others got truncated slightly, to around 6GB).
rictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #43
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino
Is anyone else experiencing a complete hogging of pc resources when doing a divx TTCB transfer to Tivo (Tivo HD)?
Yep that's exactly what I see. I'm running TivoDesktop on a P4 2200 with 1.5G of RAM laptop.

When I start a transfer that needs to be encoded TD takes 99% of resources, but I wouldn't call the laptop unusable. Slow, yes, very slow in fact. It could take a couple of minutes to open a new window, but once open the programs work fine.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #44
naclone

anybody else getting this error?

"This program was not transfered onto this DVR because the file was larger than expected or because the file was corrupted"
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #45
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
moyekj :

VideoRedo has a free trial. Give it a shot.
I like video redo. Seems to do a good job taking ads out. But sometimes i get a error.
"file dimensions have changed" when its doing a scan for ads. and the program shuts down.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #46
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
That said, I now have 720, 6000, 6000. I transferred 2 files. One came out great, the other squished.

The first file is 640x368, the second is 592x256.

How is TD supposed to handle different resolutions when the file transferrs?
Is one of those files a MPG?

Tivo Desktop does not touch MPGs.

If it is another file type, I don't know. There may be something in the file type that the Tivo looks for to determine whether to add bars or not.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #47
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBambino

My PC becomes basically unusable when transferring the files. The PC specs are a AMD 3400 Sempron with 1.5 GB RAM running XP Pro. The network conneciton between the PC and Tivo is wired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
Yep that's exactly what I see. I'm running TivoDesktop on a P4 2200 with 1.5G of RAM laptop.

When I start a transfer that needs to be encoded TD takes 99% of resources, but I wouldn't call the laptop unusable. Slow, yes, very slow in fact. It could take a couple of minutes to open a new window, but once open the programs work fine.
In TiVo Desktop under Server -> Server properties, select the Performance tab and set the Activity Level to low. That will reduce the amount of system resources devoted to the program, but it will also slow your video transfers to the TiVo.

TiVo Desktop Plus encodes non-MPEG2 files to MPG format on the fly for transfer to the TiVo. This is fairly processor and resource intensive for older computers. Encoding quality is always a tradeoff with quality vs. speed. As far as encoders go, Tivo Desktop is configured to produce relatively low quality output so it can work well on most computers. I've used other encoders that produce significantly better output equality, but required 100% of every CPU on a quad-core system.

On modern computer systems -- like a dual core Athlon64 or Intel Core2 Duo -- you won't even notice the resources taken by Tivo Desktop. This graph compares different CPUs over the past several years. Anandtech has a good roundup of current mid-range processors if you want to look at your options for a new computer.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-28-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #48
mr2828

Quote:
Tivo Desktop Plus encodes non-MPEG2 files to MPG format on the fly for transfer to the Tivo. This is fairly processor and resource intensive for older computers.

On modern computer systems -- like a dual core Athlon64 or Intel Core2 Duo -- you won't even notice.

The alternative is to encode these files to MPG in advance, rather than on the fly, but creating a second copy requires more disk space.
Something you can do to help is open the Windows Task Manager (taskmgr.exe). Sort the running programs by CPU usage, find the tivo conversion process, right click on it and set the process priority to BELOW NORMAL. Your computer will then be a lot more responsive, but on the other hand the conversion will take a bit longer.
mr2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #49
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus
I'm seeing two problems with TTG from my Series3:

-- Many of the programs I've downloaded appear to have incorrect lengths in Windows Media Player--for example, WMP says they're 15 minutes long when they're actually 60 minutes long. WMP will actually play past the 15 minute mark, but I can't fast-forward or use the time bar past this point. Some other people on the TTG forum mentioned seeing this, but I was wondering if anyone over here knew of a solution.
This is a codec / decoder issue on your computer. I had that problem until I switched to the Cyberlink decoder.

Right-click on Windows Media Player window and select properties while the file is playing. That will tell you the video decoder you are using.

Quote:
-- On one particular program (a Planet Earth HD episode), both TiVo Desktop and the built-in HTTPS server refuse to transfer more than 200MB of the file, even though the entire 7GB episode is available and watchable on the TiVo. Most of the other Planet Earth episodes transferred fine (though I think a couple others got truncated slightly, to around 6GB).
I've found some recordings transfer in 9.2 that would not transfer in 9.1. If there is a lot of pixelization in the recording (i.e. due to a poor signal), it looks like that can cause trouble for some transfers. It's not really clear at this point what else causes problems with some transfers and not others.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #50
rictus

Quote:
This is a codec / decoder issue on your computer. I had that problem until I switched to the Cyberlink decoder.
Hmmm. I just installed the Cyberlink decoder (and disabled the other decoders, and verified that WMP is using the Cyberlink decoder) and am still seeing the same issue. Odd.

nj
Old 10-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #51
bkdtv

Quote:
Hmmm. I just installed the Cyberlink decoder (and disabled the other decoders, and verified that WMP is using the Cyberlink decoder) and am still seeing the same issue. Odd.
I suppose there could be an error in the file that is causing that problem. Or it could be a difference in versions.

My Cyberink decoder is v8.1.0.7104.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #52
tase2
Shy Guy

First-Thank you very much bkdtv for all your hard work in putting together this FAQ.

I have 1 question-probably a dumb one, but here it is:

Is there any way to simply stream the video from the PC to Tivo with transferring the recording?
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #53
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2
I like video redo. Seems to do a good job taking ads out. But sometimes i get a error.
"file dimensions have changed" when its doing a scan for ads. and the program shuts down.
Under Tools select Quick Stream Fix, when the box pops open put a checkmark in Enable Filters.

VRD will output an MPG file that strips out the commercial that's causing the problem, then open the new MPG file and run ad detector.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #54
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
If you try processing your flaky mpg sources through VideoRedo (even without edits - it still remuxes on save) do you get mpg's that are fully playable?
Thanks for the tip. I ran my ReplayTV sample mpegs through Womble Mpeg Video Wizard and now via TTCB all trick functions work properly on my S3s. So as HDTiVo suggests if you are having problems with trick functions working perhaps running them through VideoRedo or Womble may fix them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #55
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2
I believe this is caused by the your cable company's commercial insertion equipment. They are inserting commercials using a different resolution.

I believe the folks over at VideoRedo said they were looking at this issue.

For now, I would try what SeanC suggested above.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #56
rictus

Quote:
I suppose there could be an error in the file that is causing that problem. Or it could be a difference in versions.

My Cyberink decoder is v8.1.0.7104.
Where did you get that version? I got the "PowerDVD SE" codec pack from the Cyberlink website, which appears to be a much older version.

Thanks,

nj
Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #57
GBL
covert opiniative

Not able to view HD content on PC

I can view SD content just fine, but watching HD content, I get no sound and severely distorted and slowed down images.

I am using TiVo Desktop 2.5.1 plus, WMP 10.0 on laptop with XP home, SP2, intel centrino Duo CPU 1.66GHz, 1GB memory. Codec is Intervideo, IVIVIDEO.ax Version 7.0.27.191.

I also installed WMP 11, no change.

Any suggestions?

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #58
greggt007

"Are high-definition recordings downconverted during transfer?

No. Recordings transferred with TTG are 100% identical to the original."

is this correct? all of my transfers so far are about 94% of the size of the original, eg. a 7.5gb hd show on the tivo according to desktop, after it transfers to my pc, is about 7gb, a 13.5 gb show is 12gb on the pc. i havent transferred a whole show back and my pc cant play hd, but i've watched it partially on the tivo and it looks fine as it transfers
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #59
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggt007
"Are high-definition recordings downconverted during transfer?

No. Recordings transferred with TTG are 100% identical to the original."

is this correct? all of my transfers so far are about 94% of the size of the original, eg. a 7.5gb hd show on the tivo according to desktop, after it transfers to my pc, is about 7gb, a 13.5 gb show is 12gb on the pc. i havent transferred a whole show back and my pc cant play hd, but i've watched it partially on the tivo and it looks fine as it transfers
Part of the reason for that is that Tivo Info displays the file size in decimal GB (10^9) vs. binary GB (2^30) which your PC is showing.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #60
greggt007

Quote:
Part of the reason for that is that Tivo Info displays the file size in decimal GB (10^9) vs. binary GB (2^30) which your PC is showing.
not Tivo Info, but from desktop...when you pick recordings to transfer, they list as say 980MB or 7,480MB. and after you transfer they list as say 920MB, 6920MB, etc
i believe i read somewhere that THD has to convert the files when it transfer and the S3 doesnt..?
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote