TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #301
h00ligan

AFAIK - tivo encrypted files are mpeg 2 files with encryption. For mpeg 2, muxing and demuxing should be a pretty quick thing. If the encrytion is left in place, what is the tivo muxing? Wouldn't it be muxed at recording? Does anyone have a link to a tech faq about the process that occurs during recording / playback / transfer?

If downloading from a web browser grabs the native file, i just don't understand how that is different than MRV?
h00ligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #302
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
AFAIK - tivo encrypted files are mpeg 2 files with encryption. For mpeg 2, muxing and demuxing should be a pretty quick thing. If the encrytion is left in place, what is the tivo muxing? Wouldn't it be muxed at recording? Does anyone have a link to a tech faq about the process that occurs during recording / playback / transfer?

If downloading from a web browser grabs the native file, i just don't understand how that is different than MRV?
The audio and video are somehow separate on a Tivo. Hacked Tivo's pull them off in "ty" format. Downloading from a web browser does not grab this native file. It uses (presumably) the same http mechanism that TivoDesktop uses to download the file. (Both of which require the "muxing" to happen at that time.)
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #303
h00ligan

thanks for the info!
h00ligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #304
Finalrinse

TiVo Desktop Plus 2.6 license info

If I purchase TiVo Desktop Plus 2.6 for one of my computers which I have with me on an extended business trip, can I then transfer the license to my main computer once I get home?
Thanks
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #305
GT1Boy
got tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
If I purchase TiVo Desktop Plus 2.6 for one of my computers which I have with me on an extended business trip, can I then transfer the license to my main computer once I get home?
Thanks
I'm not sure what the EULA for the software says, but Plus does work if it is installed on multiple PCs using the same key. You shouldn't have a problem with running it on either PC. The FAQ on Tivo's website doesn't answer that question or let you read the EULA before purchasing the software either.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #306
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post
I'm not sure what the EULA for the software says, but Plus does work if it is installed on multiple PCs using the same key. You shouldn't have a problem with running it on either PC. The FAQ on Tivo's website doesn't answer that question or let you read the EULA before purchasing the software either.
Thanks, I just purchased it.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #307
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post
I'm not sure what the EULA for the software says, but Plus does work if it is installed on multiple PCs using the same key. You shouldn't have a problem with running it on either PC.
Is this still true with TD 2.6? I am hearing reports of people having to register their PC with Tivo for Plus functionality. I haven't tried it yet myself.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #308
GT1Boy
got tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Is this still true with TD 2.6? I am hearing reports of people having to register their PC with Tivo for Plus functionality. I haven't tried it yet myself.
It's true that you can only register one PC for the new folder publishing feature to automatically transfer videos to your TiVo, but all of the other Plus features from previous versions for Desktop Plus will work fine on multiple PCs.
During installation if you already have publishing enabled on one PC, you will asked if you want to enable it for the new installation (thus disabling it on your other PC), or just install Plus without registering the new PC for folder publishing.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #309
tluxon

What file formats will TiVo S3 play?

There's a YouTube video that's about 1hr15min long that my wife wanted to know if I could put on the TiVo for her to access as she has time. It's a flash video file at 320 x 240 resolution with a bitrate between 300 and 400 kbps. I used SUPER © to convert it to a VCD format MPEG and that worked fine, but with a bitrate of 1150 kbps it was a much larger file (somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 MB) than the original (a mere 178 MB).

I understand TiVo will be updating the software soon which should permit playing of .flv files, but in the meantime what are some of the other format/resolution/bitrate optimizations I can use for such tasks to make the file as small as possible that the TiVo will still play?

Thanks!
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #310
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Anyone working on some decent data for transfer speeds with 9.3? Bkdtv?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #311
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post
Anyone working on some decent data for transfer speeds with 9.3? Bkdtv?
9.3a seems to have made no difference for my S3s under typical conditions:
S3->PC ~ 16 Mbps (100Mbps switch)
S3->S3 ~ 29 Mbps (MOCA networking & 100Mbps switches)
It will be interesting to see THD numbers as looks like they have improved quite dramatically. In one thread I saw ~ 18-19 Mbps type numbers for MRV with THD units.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #312
bkdtv

It looks like 9.3 improves TTG throughput on the TivoHD from 8.0-8.5 to 12Mbps typical.

Others have also noted much improved MRV throughput with TivoHD -> TiVo Series3.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #313
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
It looks like 9.3 improves TTG throughput on the TivoHD from 8.0-8.5 to 12Mbps typical.

Others have also noted much improved MRV throughput with TivoHD -> TiVo Series3.
So far all the annecdotal comments I have seen have been about THD speed improvement (incl. THD to/from S3). Perhaps that is what they keyed on - it being the major problem... I wonder if we´ll start to see some evidence of the THD actually being faster than the S3 in some situations.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #314
Dssturbo1

can you connect one S3 direct to one Tivo HD, just one straight ethernet cable between the two units, no other network switch/connection?
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #315
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
can you connect one S3 direct to one Tivo HD, just one straight ethernet cable between the two units, no other network switch/connection?
You may be able to do that with a crossover cable, but you would have configure the network settings manually (since you won't have a DHCP server). I haven't tried that myself.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #316
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You may be able to do that with a crossover cable, but you would have configure the network settings manually (since you won't have a DHCP server). I haven't tried that myself.
Haven't tried it either, but won't both give themselves 169.254.x.x addresses? I've seen my S3 have an one like that before which I assume means it aware of link-local addressing.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #317
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

I recall in the early days of MRV TiVo offered specific instructions for peer to peer connection via crossover cable. I would imagine that has not changed and applies to the S3s. I´ll bet the instructions are still in the MRV web pages on the subject at tivo.com.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #318
rspad53

Arrow picture jitter and freeze - tivoHD

Hey,
I have had my tivohd since jan. 1. after an initial cable card issue it has worked fine until the past 2 weeks.
My picture will totally freeze and then sound goes out. i also get some picture jitter sometimes when it is working.
A power off/on will sometimes correct problem and sometimes i come back later and it is working. Changing channels does not help as they freeze right away also.
I removed and reinstalled the cablevision cablecards many times (but never re ran guided setup). but still get the freeze ups.
Now i noticed, based on the amount of stuff i have recorded, hd and sd. it adds up to close the maximum.
Could an almost full drive cause this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Rich
rspad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #319
b_scott
TiVo Fan

it's my understanding that the tivo menus are not in high resolution HD. at least it does not seem so to me. looks like the only thing that's in HD is the Tivo guy.

is that correct?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #320
silentbob

I couldn't find an answer in this thread or elsewhere -- is it possible to capture and save a screenshot of HD playback on my laptop?

I transferred some ESPN2HD content to my laptop using TTG. Playback looks awesome using Windows Media Player. I would like to save some paused high-resolution images but don't know how. One thing I tried was "PrtSc" and then pasting on MS Paint. Which seems to work at first. But if I try to save that image to a .bmp file, the WMP screen image disappears even though the overall screenshot of WMP remains?

And if I convert the .tivo file to a video file using Direct Show Dump, then do a screen capture in a video editing program, the image quality deteriorates dramatically as expected.

Is my only realistic option to take a digital photo of my laptop screen during the WMP playback?
silentbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #321
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
Is my only realistic option to take a digital photo of my laptop screen during the WMP playback?
Slingboxes are great way to do screencaps from your Tivo. But it won't be HD either.

I thought if you went in WMP to the Tools->Performance tab and changed Video Accelartion to none it would allow you to use PrntScrn. May be misremembering that.

Another way to grab screen shots is with VirtualDubMod. It will open allow you to open an .mpg (freed via DSD or TivoDecode) and the copy a frame to the clipboard.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #322
thomb

When logging in to the now playing list via the browser I get 4 warning screens asking to confirm the security of the tivo ip address -
1. Security Certificate
2. Pop up asking if the current web page (res://ieframe.dll) is allowed to open a site on the intranet
3. user name (tivo) & password
4. a popup warning that the page contains secure and nonsecure items.

Is there a way to avoid these?
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #323
BillL

MRV from S3 to HD is slooooooooooow.

For some reason transfering a half hour standard definition show between my S3 and HD takes an entire night. It is MUCH quicker to transfer it from my S3 to my computer then from my computer to my HD. The extra step saves about 8 hours. I have rebooted both TIVOs and am out of ideas.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #324
Mike want hmo

Hello All,

I am thinking about buying a couple of S3 tivos. I currently have two replay TV's and was wondering if mrv worked the same on Tivo as it does on my ReplayTVs when it comes to recording conflicts. If i try to record something on one of my replayTV's and their is a conflict it will ask if i want to record it on another ReplayTV. Does Tivo do that as well?
Thanks
Mike want hmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #325
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike want hmo View Post
Hello All,

I am thinking about buying a couple of S3 tivos. I currently have two replay TV's and was wondering if mrv worked the same on Tivo as it does on my ReplayTVs when it comes to recording conflicts. If i try to record something on one of my replayTV's and their is a conflict it will ask if i want to record it on another ReplayTV. Does Tivo do that as well?
Thanks
No, Tivo does not have any kind of co-operative scheduling like the RTVs. Also, Multi Room Viewing refers to the ability to copy programs from one Tivo to another in a household. Note that unlike RTV the Tivos do not stream to each other, rather they make physical copies of programs (and only for non-copy protected content). So it's kind of a pain that you then have to delete a program you have watched on multiple Tivos in the house.

That being said the fact that the S3s have 2 tuners and you plan on getting 2 of them makes scheduling conflicts much easier to manage than with single tuner RTVs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #326
Mike want hmo

Smile

Interesting, I thought RTV's copied the content i didn't think they streamed it. Tivo should do some type of coopertive scheduling like the RTV's and take full advantage of the 100mb network connection as well. Then it would be close to perfect.
Mike want hmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #327
astronomer

Stalled transfers PC -> Series 3

A few weeks ago, everything worked smoothly transferring files from Series 3 to PC and back, even with editing to .mpg using VideoRedo. Now, transfers TO the PC work fine but transfers back to the Series 3 (even just the originals) begins
just fine but stalls after transferring a few minutes of video; after several minutes, the blue light goes off and the transfer stops. There are no error messages on either the Series 3 or the PC. This started happening with 2.5.1 but is the same after installing 2.6.1.

Has anyone else seen (or repaired) this problem?
astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #328
ilh

I had this problem when I switched to 2.6.1. When I went back to 2.5.1 plus the certificate fix, my transfers PC to THD worked fine once again.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #329
moyekj

Use pyTivo to transfer back instead of TD and it will likely work much better. In fact avoiding TD (for both pull and push) completely seems to be a good option these days.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #330
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike want hmo View Post
Hello All,

Thanks
Make sure you check if your cable provider has set CCI byte to 0x02 on all channels (like TW Albany does--except for HD Locals). That renders your MRV and TTG useless.
m_jonis is online now   Reply With Quote