TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
chsscgas

Anyone used Knology / CC Policies?

I live in Charleston, SC and I am currently using Comcast but thinking of switching to Knology.

Does anyone have any experience with Knology and know what their cablecard policies are in regards to price and availability?
chsscgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
lombard

I'm in Huntsville, AL. Until relatively recently, Knology has refused to support CableCard, stating the FCC mandate didn't apply to them. I called them on Monday after hearing from someone else that Knology had reversed their stance.

I was told $1.95/mo for each cablecard and a $9.95 installation fee.

I just got my order notification from Circuit City for my S3. Going to call Knology shortly to see what they really charge me. I'll report back...
lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
lombard

Here's an update...

The CableCards are indeed $1.95/mo
They're requiring that in addition to that, I pay $9.95/mo for digital service (which is the standard digital service fee, including a box).
Then, it's another $9.95/mo for HD service (I haven't checked lately, but I know Knology used to broadcast the networks in HD for free, QAM).

Now here's a couple of kickers, battles I will fight when I get to those bridges that need crossing:

The CSR rep was obviously coached to push their DVR's, but that's to be expected. Anyway, she had never heard of a customer wanting 2 CableCards for 1 TV. She talked to her supervisor and got approval to place my order. Where she ran in to a problem was the computer system they use wouldn't let her order two cards without billing for a second TV. She just notated on the order that I wanted two cards. We'll see what happens when the installer gets to my place next Tuesday. Who knows what my bill will be like.

She told me that in order to order CableCards, I was required to upgrade to digital AND upgrade to HD. No problem, right? Well, she continued on and said that with a CableCard, I wouldn't get access to any of the HD channels aside from the networks. My take on it is that she's just confused, but we'll see.

Finally, she made it a point to tell me my service was going to be more expensive with CableCard than with one of their boxes, since the cost of a box is rolled in to the monthly fee for digital service. I've never had a cable box from Knology, but kinda figured the box rental and the digital service fee were separate...easier to stick some extra charges down the consumer's throat.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be a real fight to get my billing straightened out. She really didn't understand the two cablecards/one TV thing.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
lombard

Another follow up,

This battle's going to be a doozy too. Looking through the digital channel lineup for my area shows why I never bothered to go with digital cable. Of the 90 or so extra channels that come with the digital package, there's exactly 1 that I'm even remotely interested in. The HD lineup is at least a little better.

Going to try dumping the extended digital, but keep the HD package after they finish the install. If that doesn't work, I may sacrifice some of the additional HD channels and cancel digital and HD entirely, keeping just the cablecards (if I can get away with it). My networks are all broadcast in unencrypted QAM, so it'd be worth the money to just keep the cable cards to ensure proper channel mapping/season passes on the unencrypted channels.

For some reason my OTA reception is very hit/miss. I know other people in my area have had excellent results with simple indoor UHF antennas (Silver Sensor, etc). I tried one with no signal. I installed a bigger directional UHF antenna in my attic, with better results, but they are very hit/miss. I don't want to go through the effort of mounting it externally. I'll play with it over the weekend anyway....perhaps the tuners in my TiVo are better than the one in my TV.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
classicsat
Astute User

They aren't billing for every TV STB/outlet, but per cablecard, hence the situation.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
lombard

Just finished the cablecard install. Installer showed up the usual hour and a half late, but I've never seen anything go so smoothly. Seriously.

10 minutes after he got here, he left. Both cablecards installed and channel tests looked good. Re-ran TiVo's guided setup and now it's downloading all the program info again.

After I see what my bill's like, I should be able to give this two thumbs up. For now....

Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
FDM

I'm also in Huntsville and having Knology come tomorrow to install two cablecards. Hopefully, I'll get the same tech who installed yours. If not, any words of advice to pass along to any unsuspecting first time installer?
FDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
lombard

I don't know if I lucked out or what, but this was the installer's first CableCard install in any device at all. I was really expecting a hard time, but things went amazingly smoothly.

He called in with the two card ID's, then I did the actual install. Installed the first card, brought up the menu and he called in the host ID. Almost immediately, all the HD channels were working (not just the networks). I was getting program info for the digital cable channels but no picture. Figured it was just working its way through the system, so I went ahead with the second card install. Again, just brought up the menu, the tech called in the host ID info, then I did a channel check. All the HD channels were working. Couple of minutes later all the digital channels were working as well. Went back and checked the first card, and everything was working there as well.

Noticed a little later than I was getting all the premium channels, even though I didn't order them. Called in this morning and got everything straightened out. Even managed to get them to shut off the digital channels, so I should only be getting the analog package and the HD package!!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
lombard

Another update. Finally got my first bill since the install.

As I said earlier, the day after the install, I noticed I was getting every channel they offered. I called in to cancel it and managed to cancel everything but extended basic and the HDTV package. Turns out, they were trying to charge the full HBO/Starz/Showtime to each card, and they only cancelled one "subscription", so they were still charging me $34.15/mo for the other card. Plus, even though I managed to cancel the digital service, they were charging me a $50 digital gateway fee, plus an additional $9.95 for a second digital outlet, plus two $9.95 charges for two HDTV services. Basically, even though I was told it would just be a $9.95 digital charge and a $9.95 HDTV charge (I was hoping that by cancelling the digital service I would dump one of the $9.95 fees) plus the $1.95 for each card, they were charging me the full fee for each card.

Anyway, I was willing to bump my monthly bill by ~$20 per month just for the additional HD channels (TNT HD, Discovery HD, HDNet, Universal HD, etc). But I'm not willing to pay an extra $40. I went round and round with customer service tonight trying to convince them that I shouldn't be getting charged an extra outlet fee and an extra HDTV fee. Tried to equate my TiVo to their crappy DVR. The whole one TV, one charge thing. After an hour plus of very polite talking and moving my way up the chain of command, I got absolutely nowhere. Even after discussing cancelling my service entirely, they didn't offer anything.

In the end, I cancelled all digital service (including HDTV). I'm back to expanded basic analog. All my HDTV is now coming in OTA via my antenna. Long story short, I'm used to a $86 cable plus internet bill, but the screwed up system at Knology was going to up that to $125 for what amounts to expanded basic plus 8 HD channels.

Maybe if multistream cards work their way into the system I'll try again. Kind of sad that I had no problem getting cablecards to function properly (unlike so many on this board), but I'm forced to get rid of them because of billing.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Anyone else using Knology in Huntsville? They have their act together yet? I'm thinking of getting for my dad in Huntsville, but he won't go for this screw job.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you switch over to Comcast? At least in Huntsville you have a choice....
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Anyone? Huntsville?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
eluckie

Knology in Montgomery

I am in Montgomery and use Knology. When I recently purchased my HDTV, I decided to purchase one with a cablecard slot with the thought being I would eventually end up getting an S3 and I would just go exclusively cable cards.

During my first conversation with Customer Service after purchasing the TV I asked about their Tivo/CableCard policy in addition to ordering a Cablecard for my TV. I was originally told that I would have to pay the additional package charges for each CC, but she quickly backed off of that. After completing my order to upgrade to Digital and HD for my TV she placed me on hold for few minutes to check on the Tivo/Cablecard question. She eventually came back and found where their policy was now to only charge the $1.95 per Cablecard and not charge for the packages for each card.

Well, unfortunately my upgrade for my TV turned ugly quick and after being assured several times that a cablecard for my TV was going to happen, it still has not. I have been forced to use one of their HD DVR boxes (with the DVR not activated) because they have no cablecards in stock. A number of events that are too long to document here eventually led to me to talking to a local Knology Installation Manager. He has bent over backwards to keep me happy as a customer including giving me his cell number and calling me regularly to give me updates on the cablecard status.

Long story short...As of yesterday, they have two cable cards in stock that they had to have shipped in from another area. They are testing the card this weekend and he is supposed to contact me on Monday. He believes they are going to function fine and has assured me that he will work to accommodate a S3 when I am ready as well as getting my TV working on a cablecard. Overall, their customer service was not very helpful, but this Install Manager has really worked hard and I believe he will continue to work for me. Hopefully having a personal insider will make things go smooth. My plans are to go ahead with the S3 order in the next few days.
eluckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluckie
I am in Montgomery and use Knology. When I recently purchased my HDTV, I decided to purchase one with a cablecard slot with the thought being I would eventually end up getting an S3 and I would just go exclusively cable cards.

During my first conversation with Customer Service after purchasing the TV I asked about their Tivo/CableCard policy in addition to ordering a Cablecard for my TV. I was originally told that I would have to pay the additional package charges for each CC, but she quickly backed off of that. After completing my order to upgrade to Digital and HD for my TV she placed me on hold for few minutes to check on the Tivo/Cablecard question. She eventually came back and found where their policy was now to only charge the $1.95 per Cablecard and not charge for the packages for each card.

Well, unfortunately my upgrade for my TV turned ugly quick and after being assured several times that a cablecard for my TV was going to happen, it still has not. I have been forced to use one of their HD DVR boxes (with the DVR not activated) because they have no cablecards in stock. A number of events that are too long to document here eventually led to me to talking to a local Knology Installation Manager. He has bent over backwards to keep me happy as a customer including giving me his cell number and calling me regularly to give me updates on the cablecard status.

Long story short...As of yesterday, they have two cable cards in stock that they had to have shipped in from another area. They are testing the card this weekend and he is supposed to contact me on Monday. He believes they are going to function fine and has assured me that he will work to accommodate a S3 when I am ready as well as getting my TV working on a cablecard. Overall, their customer service was not very helpful, but this Install Manager has really worked hard and I believe he will continue to work for me. Hopefully having a personal insider will make things go smooth. My plans are to go ahead with the S3 order in the next few days.
Thanks! I'm in Birmingham. Things weren't nearly as bad as you seem to have it.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
edge64
Edge

I am in Prattville and I use Knology and I had 2 cable cards added to my S3 this week. Knology uses the Scientific Atlanta PowerKey cards. They initially tried to get me to take their STB but I refused. The cards do seem to work but I am having some dropped channels on the HD side as discussed in other articles in this forum. The problem may be TIVO and not cable card, jury still out. I am paying as follows in addition to expanded basic cable:

$16.95 for digital preferred tier
9.95 for HD tier
3.90 ($1.95 for each card)
______
$30.80 Total
edge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
OGDanDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge64
I am in Prattville and I use Knology and I had 2 cable cards added to my S3 this week. Knology uses the Scientific Atlanta PowerKey cards. They initially tried to get me to take their STB but I refused. The cards do seem to work but I am having some dropped channels on the HD side as discussed in other articles in this forum. The problem may be TIVO and not cable card, jury still out. I am paying as follows in addition to expanded basic cable:

9.95 for HD tier
______
$30.80 Total
I'm in Madison/Huntsville and already had the digital preferred and HD package prior to getting my S3. When I first called Knology, they said that it would cost $1.95 per card, so I went ahead and bought the S3. When I actually called to schedule the service call, they said that it was 1.95 per card, but each card required its own HD service. I questioned them and mentioned that they were going into the same device, but they wouldn't budge. I called back multiple times, talking to multiple techs, and all of them said that each card required its own HD service due to their billing policies. So for me, the price would have been:
19.90 ($9.95 for each HD tier)
______
$40.75 Total

This pissed me off, so I only bought one CC and figured I'd wait until they get their act together before get another one.
All of this was done about a month ago (around Christmas). Have they since seen the light and actually changed their policies?

This guy had the same issue: p=4812878&&#post4812878 <--can't post links, so I've instead added the thread and post part of the URL.

Last edited by OGDanDogg : 01-28-2007 at 12:17 PM.
OGDanDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGDanDogg
When I actually called to schedule the service call, they said that it was 1.95 per card, but each card required its own HD service. I questioned them and mentioned that they were going into the same device, but they wouldn't budge. I called back multiple times, talking to multiple techs, and all of them said that each card required its own HD service due to their billing policies. So for me, the price would have been:
19.90 ($9.95 for each HD tier)
______
$40.75 Total
Did you ask if they charge HD Tier for each tuner in their own HD DVR?

I'm pretty sure I already know what their response would be. But if they aren't charging per tuner on their box, I would think that goes against the FCC mandate...
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
OGDanDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
Did you ask if they charge HD Tier for each tuner in their own HD DVR?

I'm pretty sure I already know what their response would be. But if they aren't charging per tuner on their box, I would think that goes against the FCC mandate...
Yes I did. They said that they didn't. However, their own HD DVR probably doesn't have Cable Cards, so they probably argue that it's different somehow. Also, once you bring that up, they try to push their DVR on you. Is there something in the FCC mandate that specifies that they have to have equal pricing, or just that they have to offer CCs.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
pl1

Quote:
Yes I did. They said that they didn't. However, their own HD DVR probably doesn't have Cable Cards, so they probably argue that it's different somehow. Also, once you bring that up, they try to push their DVR on you. Is there something in the FCC mandate that specifies that they have to have equal pricing, or just that they have to offer CCs.
When the same thing happened to me, charging me for 1 cableCARD fee and 2 A/O's (additional outlets), I simply returned my HD box so Comcast is now getting less than they did BEFORE I had the cableCARDS installed. If they were reasonable about it, I would have kept the STB for PPV/VOD.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #19
OGDanDogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
When the same thing happened to me, charging me for 1 cableCARD fee and 2 A/O's (additional outlets), I simply returned my HD box so Comcast is now getting less than they did BEFORE I had the cableCARDS installed. If they were reasonable about it, I would have kept the STB for PPV/VOD.
I already returned my STB since it counted as a drop (another 9.95...)

Also, confirmed from their website, DVR with two tuners is 9.95 a month.
Pricing from order page: "Digital Video Recorder (must have Digital Preferred) ($9.95)"
DVR capabilities from website (google: knology dvr): "Record up to two shows while watching a previously recorded show."

So basically to get a dual tuner DVR with HD channels:
Knology DVR: $18.90 (9.95 DVR + 9.95 HD)
Tivo DVR: $23.80 ( 2x $9.95 for HD + 2x $1.95 for cards)
Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
pl1

Quote:
I already returned my STB since it counted as a drop (another 9.95...))
When Comcast initially quoted me, and I asked multiple times, it was going to be $0.00 for the first card, $1.50 for the second card, and and extra $4.45/mo for the upgraded STB. NEVER did they mention a thing about the Additional Outlet charges. My bill came in at $2.75/mo for EACH A/O and no cablecard charge. The NEW cableCARD charge starts effective March 1 for $1.50/mo. And the A/O charges are going from $2.75 to $3.51/mo effective Feb 1. So, by giving them back the box, I save $9.95 PLUS $3.51 A/O per month. Scammers! I could not get this information from ANY of the Comcast CSRs. It was in my price increases with my current bill.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #21
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
When Comcast initially quoted me, and I asked multiple times, it was going to be $0.00 for the first card, $1.50 for the second card, and and extra $4.45/mo for the upgraded STB. NEVER did they mention a thing about the Additional Outlet charges. My bill came in at $2.75/mo for EACH A/O and no cablecard charge. The NEW cableCARD charge starts effective March 1 for $1.50/mo. And the A/O charges are going from $2.75 to $3.51/mo effective Feb 1. So, by giving them back the box, I save $9.95 PLUS $3.51 A/O per month. Scammers! I could not get this information from ANY of the Comcast CSRs. It was in my price increases with my current bill.
Nice to see they are not double dipping each service for A/O. For anyone who doesn't want to fight with Knology in Huntsville over excessive charging, seems like you should just go to Comcast.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #22
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler
Nice to see they are not double dipping each service for A/O. For anyone who doesn't want to fight with Knology in Huntsville over excessive charging, seems like you should just go to Comcast.
Comcast IS double dipping on the A/O charge. They do NOT charge any A/O for their own box. Their own DVR will do PPV, VOD, and Dual Tuner. Yet, they do not charge for ANY A/O's.

OTOH, if you get their HD STB and two cable cards, they will let you have one A/O included and you must pay TWO A/O charges.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #23
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
Comcast IS double dipping on the A/O charge. They do NOT charge any A/O for their own box. Their own DVR will do PPV, VOD, and Dual Tuner. Yet, they do not charge for ANY A/O's.

OTOH, if you get their HD STB and two cable cards, they will let you have one A/O included and you must pay TWO A/O charges.
Then I misunderstand. How do you "save $9.95 PLUS $3.51 A/O per month"?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #24
pl1

Quote:
Then I misunderstand. How do you "save $9.95 PLUS $3.51 A/O per month"?
Well once I was surprised with the additional outlet fees, I returned the cable box worth $10/mo and they then removed one of the A/O charges of $3.51/mo.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #25
eluckie

Quote:
This pissed me off, so I only bought one CC and figured I'd wait until they get their act together before get another one.
All of this was done about a month ago (around Christmas). Have they since seen the light and actually changed their policies?

This guy had the same issue: p=4812878&&#post4812878 <--can't post links, so I've instead added the thread and post part of the URL.
I think I may the guy you were referring to. Their pricing policy as it has been finally told to me is that you must pay for the HD Tier($9.95) and the Card rental (1.95) per card in the device. It does not matter how many devices are involved, only how many cards are involved.

I have been talking with a "Senior" account rep here in Montgomery and he assures me that is the final answer and is what Knology is doing across the board in all of it's markets. He also says this is much better than what they were doing because they were charging an additional $6.95 per card/outlet for the Digital Tier fee but have decided to drop that fee on the additional cards/outlets. He also said that he was actually involved in lobbying the company for lower fees for these type situations but that this was what the final pricing policy became.

So for me, it is costing me an extra $23.80 a month to have my new S3 equipped with 2 cable cards. That hurts if I stop and think about it for long!!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #26
edge64
Edge

eluckie, that is not how it was explained to me by Knology. See my comments above. Your $23.80 must not include the Digital Tier at $16.95. I am having problems with itermittant channel loss on HD channels 911-919 on the HD Tier.
edge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #27
eluckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge64
eluckie, that is not how it was explained to me by Knology. See my comments above. Your $23.80 must not include the Digital Tier at $16.95. I am having problems with itermittant channel loss on HD channels 911-919 on the HD Tier.
They are not charging me the digital tier on the cards in the TIVO. I also have a card in my television and they are charging me the digital tier for that but he explained that their compromise for TIVO users was to not charge additional digital tier charges for the cards in the TIVO only for the HD and the card fee.

Now that all being said, I am actually supposed to talk to the Billing Manager I have been dealing with some time this week and they are going to finalize my billing and give me the appropriate credits for the lack of service I have had from them since late December. I can post an update after that conversation.

As far as cablecard performance, it is horrible in my television! Constantly giving errors and failing. The cards in the TIVO have worked better. The only problems I have had with them is missing audio on a handful of the digital channels and the occasional signal loss on the HD channels. I have not really pursued the cause of those issues yet, that will be part of my conversation with Knology this week.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #28
whitmans77

This is the first thread I have seen commenting on Knology's service. From what I have read it appears Knologys ineptness to iron out the CC issue is company wide. I use Knology in Augusta and when I purchased an HDTV I was going to get a CC for it and see how it worked out before getting an S3. The 1st rep I talked to gave me the 1.95 price for each card and said thats all I would have to pay even if i got 3 of them.Then i call back and another rep tells me the HD package for each card. i finally talk to a supervisor who was extremely honest and just said that the company had not had much experience with CC. Anyway to make a long story short because of my "pain and agony" they ended up giving me a very substantial credit because I told them I would use their box instead of getting the S3. So now I have about 6 months of free service. Really cant complain but I sooooo want the S3. Im still looking forward to getting an S3 but will wait until Knology gets their stuff together.
whitmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #29
OGDanDogg

Quote:
Comcast isn't offered in my area, I already tried to go that route.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #30
PeytonRE

Quote:
I already returned my STB since it counted as a drop (another 9.95...)

Also, confirmed from their website, DVR with two tuners is 9.95 a month.
Pricing from order page: "Digital Video Recorder (must have Digital Preferred) ($9.95)"
DVR capabilities from website (google: knology dvr): "Record up to two shows while watching a previously recorded show."

So basically to get a dual tuner DVR with HD channels:
Knology DVR: $18.90 (9.95 DVR + 9.95 HD)
Tivo DVR: $23.80 ( 2x $9.95 for HD + 2x $1.95 for cards)
It appears that I am in the same boat here. I was assured that when I turned in my 8300HD DVR STB and received 2 cable cards that my cable bill bill would basically remain the same:

8300HD DVR: $12.95 /month

HD Service: $9.95 /month
Cable cards: $1.95 /month x 2 = $3.90 /month
Total for TIVO 3 = $13.85 /month

Actually I would pay 90 cents more per month to supply my own equipment.

However, when I actually got my bill they tried to throw in an additional $9.95 /month for another digital outlet. Like others, I tried to use logic to show that this was no different than their HD DVR, but they did not seem capable of budging. I see this as an unreasonable cost and it appears to be enough for me to make my wife happy and reduce our overall cable bill by almost half. I could reduce my cable service to basic analog (and get HD OTA) and see about switching the phone and internet service back to Bellsouth or some other provider -- I would save significant $$$ by not having Knology digital service and all of the Pay stations that I was getting, but not watching enough to justify the incremental costs.

Fortunately, my wife is on a business trip until Wednesday so I will have a chance to calm down and then I may make another run at them before I go Draconian. This looks like one of those cases where the "Principle of the Thing" will lead me to cut back my dealings with Knology as much as I can, even if it ends up costing a bit more to do it.
PeytonRE is offline   Reply With Quote