TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
bkdtv

Creating HD-DVDs and Blu-ray disks with TivoToGo using DVD media...

Last Updated: 12/27.

You can create HD-DVD and Blu-ray compatible disks in a matter of minutes using high-definition recordings transferred from the TivoHD or Series3.

You do not need a HD-DVD or Blu-ray writer; you can do this using standard DVDs. You can do this because both high-definition formats support high-definition playback from DVD media.

Requirements
  1. Windows PC

2. TivoHD or Tivo Series3

3. Tivo Desktop 2.5.1 (free)

4. PC DVD writer

5. 4.7Gb and/or 8.5Gb DVD-R blanks (see FAQ #6 at bottom for DVD+R blanks)

6. VideoRedo ($49.99, but 14-day free trial available)

7. HD Patch (freeware)

8. Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus ($79.99, but 30-day free trial available) or Nero v8.

Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus is by far the best software for creating HD-DVD compatible DVDs, but it requires a $20 plug-in to create Blu-ray compatible DVDs. Be sure to download and install both updates for Ulead MovieFactory 6 Plus before you start.

Nero v8 can also be used to create Blu-ray compatible DVDs. It will do this out of the box, but it will not create HD-DVD compatible DVDs.

To play HD-DVD compatible DVDs, you'll need a Toshiba HD-DVD player or the Xbox360 HD-DVD add-on. If you don't have a HD-DVD player, you can also test playback on your PC using software such as WinDVD or PowerDVD.

To play the Blu-ray compatible DVDs, you need a Sony PS3, Sony BDP-S1, Sony BDP-S300, or Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blu-ray player. Other Blu-ray players do not support these disks.

Instructions for Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus
  1. Download a high-definition recording from your TiVo. Screenshot #1, #2.

2. Launch VideoRedo, click 'Open Video,' and select the .Tivo recording from your Tivo Recordings folder. Screenshot.

3. If your Tivo recording has commercials, select Ad-Detective -> Start Ad-Detective Scan in VideoRedo to automatically mark all commercials for removal. Click Save As.. in VideoRedo to save the recording without commercials to your hard drive in .MPG format. Screenshot.

4. Open the .MPG in HDPatch. If the reported Bitrate is more than 25000000 (25Mbps), then change it to 25000000 and click "Patch Stream." If the reported Bitrate is less than 25000000, no change is required and you can exit the app. Screenshot.

5. Launch ULead DVD Movie Factory Plus and choose "New Video Project." Screenshot.

For HD-DVD compatible DVDs: From the "Create Video Disk" dialog, choose HD-DVD.

For Blu-ray compatible DVDs: From the "Create Video Disk" dialog, choose AVCHD.
    Note: This involves a time-consuming re-encode to MPEG-4 AVC.

For Blu-ray using BD-R media: From the "Create Video Disk" dialog, choose Blu-ray and BDMV.

6. Click the "Add video files" button (second icon, top left) and select the the .MPG file you saved in step four. If Movie Factory asks you to change the project settings to match the video, select yes. Screenshot.

7. Click Next.

8. Select a title screen template (just like Powerpoint). Right-click to edit the title and text on the title screen. Screenshot.

9. Click Next.

10. If using DVD-R media, click "Burn" to create the disk. Screenshot.

If using DVD+R media, several additional steps are required:

1. De-select "Create to Disk" and check "Create HD-DVD folders." Specify the folder where you want the files to be saved. Screenshot.

2. Click Burn to create the HD-DVD folders on your hard drive.

3. Once MovieFactory6 Plus is done creating the folders, close it.

4. Open Nero Burning ROM v6, v7, or v8.

1. Select Recorder -> Change Recorder and select Options. Change the Book Type setting to "Physical Disc Type" and click OK.

2. Select "DVD-ROM (UDF)" on the left side of the screen.

3. On the "Multisession" tab, select "No Multisession." On the "UDF" tab, click the "Options" pull-down and select "Enable Xbox (TM) compatibility mode." Ignore any warnings. Screenshot.

4. Click the "New" button at the bottom of the dialog.

5. Drag and drop the HVDVD_TS folder you just created with Movie Factory6 Plus into Nero. Screenshot.

6. Burn the disc by clicking on the "Burn" button on the toolbar.

Instructions for Nero v8 (Blu-ray compatible DVDs only; does not do HD-DVD compatible DVDs)
  1. Download a high-definition recording from your TiVo. Screenshot #1, #2.

2. Launch VideoRedo, click 'Open Video,' and select the .Tivo recording from your Tivo Recordings folder. Screenshot.

3. If your Tivo recording has commercials, select Ad-Detective -> Start Ad-Detective Scan in VideoRedo to automatically mark all commercials for removal. Click Save As.. in VideoRedo to save the recording without commercials to your hard drive in .MPG format. Screenshot.

4. Open Nero Vision and select Make DVD -> AVCHD.

5. On the right, select the type of media you will be using (DVD or DVD-9)

6. Click "Add Video Files..." and browse to the MPG you created in step #3. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the MPG created into the window.

7. Hit the More >> button and click Video Options.

In Video Options, select the AVCHD tab and click the "Configure Encoder..." button -- select High Quality or Highest Quality (depending on what you want). On the AVCHD tab, also select "High Quality (2-Pass VBR)" as the encoding mode. Click OK to close Video Options.

8. If you want to select a menu design, click Next. Otherwise, Check "Create chapters automatically."

9. Click Next.

10. Select a menu template (if you want one).

11. Click Next.

12. Click Burn.

No re-encoding is necessary when creating HD-DVD compatible DVDs and Blu-ray disks with Ulead DVD MovieFactory, so disks can be created in as little as 10-15 minutes, depending on the speed of your PC and DVD/BD burner. Recording quality with these HD-DVD compatible DVDs is 100% identical to what you saw with your TiVo.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Blu-ray authoring on DVD in MovieFactory or Nero. Movie Factory6 Plus will burn recordings from the TiVo to Blu-ray media without re-encoding, but for DVD, both Nero and MovieFactory require a very time-consuming conversion to MPEG-4 AVC. The recordings remain high-definition, but quality is not quite as good as the original source file. There is one benefit of this conversion to MPEG-4 AVC with Nero-- it allows you to fit high-definition recordings on disk that would not otherwise fit with MPEG-2, such as movies from Hdnet.

Important Note

When creating HD-DVD compatible disks with MovieFactory6 Plus, all recordings must total 4.38Gb (or less) for burning to a single-layer 4.7Gb DVD or 7.96Gb (or less) for burning to a dual-layer 8.5Gb DVD. If you want to fit more than that on a single disk, you'll need a Blu-ray or HD-DVD writer and more expensive media.

Most high-definition movies from HBO-HD, Cinemax-HD, SHO-HD, TMC-HD, STARZ-HD, and Universal-HD will fit on a single 8.5Gb DVD.

The average broadcast and cable network has 18-21 minutes of commercials per hour, so once you've automatically removed commercials with VideoRedo, one-hour programs from those channels will require about 1/3 less space.

Typical space consumed per 60 minutes (with commercials) of HDTV:

ABC - 4.4-6.50 Gb (varies by content and provider)
CBS - 6.0-8.0Gb (varies by content and provider)
NBC - 5.2-8.0 Gb (varies by content and provider)
FOX - 4.4-5.0 Gb (up to 5.6Gb for sports)

HBO - 4.4-4.8 Gb
Cinemax - 4.4-4.8 Gb
Showtime - 4.4-4.8 Gb
Starz - 3.5-4.0 Gb

UHD - 4.0-5.0 Gb
Discovery - up to 8.0Gb (varies widely by provider )
Hdnet - up to 8.0Gb (varies widely by provider )
Hdnet Movies - up to 8.0Gb (varies widely by provider )
TNT - up to 8.0Gb (varies widely by provider )

Questions
  1. Why do you call this "creating HD-DVD disks with DVD media?" Shouldn't you call it "Copying HD to DVD?"

The DVD-ROM standard does not support high-definition playback. Today, there are two industry standards for high-definition playback on DVD -- HD DVD and BDMV.

HD DVD isn't just media. It's a standard developed by the DVD Forum for storing and playing high-definition files on media. Standard DVDs (officially called 3XDVD) is one of the disk choices defined by the HD DVD specification.

In the early years, the HD DVD ROM format was expected to use standard DVDs with advanced codecs like AVC and WM9 (now called VC-1). It wasn't until later that the DVD Forum decided to adopt Toshiba's AOD disk format instead of Blu-ray and use that as the basis for HD DVD rather than standard DVD media. But they left DVD in as a part of the HD DVD standard, calling it 3XDVD.

There are a number of different HD DVD authoring applications. In all of them, you select the HD DVD format first and the disk size second. Until Sony announced they would make DVD an option for its Blu-ray Disk Movie (BDMV) format, HD DVD was the one and only standard for storing high-definition content on DVD.

2. I have a Sony Upconverting DVD player. Using the steps above, will these disks play on my upconverting player?

Unfortunately, no. Standard DVD players will not play disks authored in HD-DVD format, regardless of the media used.

Upconverting DVD players do not have the hardware necessary to decode high-definition. Decoding high-definition is very different from upconverting standard definition. Upconverting standard definition is incredibly cheap to do; decoding high-definition is more expensive.

To playback full high-definition from DVD, you must have a HD-DVD player, a Blu-ray player like the PS3, or the appropriate playback software on your PC.

3. Why didn't you include instructions for a Mac?

My Mac is too old to do this type of thing, hence I don't have instructions for that platform.

If someone else can post Mac instructions, I will add them to this topic.

4. When will Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus directly support Tivo files, eliminating the need to load recordings in VideoRedo first?

According to one forum member, this feature is coming in the next release of MovieFactory Plus.

5. I see stutter during playback of my HD-DVDs. How do I fix that?

If are using DVD+R disks, make sure you follow the directions in FAQ #6 below, or stutter may result with some players. Edit: I've added these instructions to the top.

Make sure you have the latest firmware on your Toshiba HD-DVD player. To do that, select Setup -> General -> Maintenance -> Update. The software version is displayed underneath the word Update.

As of December 5th, the current firmware for the A3/A30/A35 is v1.3; the current firmware for the A2/A20/XA2 is v2.7; and the current firmware for the A1/XA1 is v2.4.

If your player is connected to the Internet, then you could use the firmware update menu to download the latest firmware directly to your player (remove any disks from the player before you do so). If your player is not connected to the Internet, then you can download the latest firmware and burn it to CD.

6. I already have DVD+R disks. Can I use those to create HD-DVD compatible disks?

Yes, but that requires an extra step or stutter will result with some players. Under the Instructions for Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus, substitute the following for step #10. Edit: I've added these instructions to the top.

1. De-select "Create to Disk" and check "Create HD-DVD folders." Specify the folder where you want the files to be saved. Screenshot.

2. Click Burn to create the HD-DVD folders on your hard drive.

3. Once MovieFactory6 Plus is done creating the folders, close it.

4. Open Nero Burning ROM v6, v7, or v8.

1. Select Recorder -> Change Recorder and select Options. Change the Book Type setting to "Physical Disc Type" and click OK.

2. Select "DVD-ROM (UDF)" on the left side of the screen.

3. On the "Multisession" tab, select "No Multisession." On the "UDF" tab, click the "Options" pull-down and select "Enable Xbox (TM) compatibility mode." Ignore any warnings. Screenshot.

4. Click the "New" button at the bottom of the dialog.

5. Drag and drop the HVDVD_TS folder you just created with Movie Factory6 Plus into Nero. Screenshot.

6. Burn the disc by clicking on the "Burn" button on the toolbar.

If you fail to follow these directions for DVD+R disks, stutter will result on some players.

Credits

AVS' The Official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring
AVS' My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences...

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-12-2008 at 07:40 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Cool info. Thanks!

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
bkdtv

Space holder for Mac instructions, should I get them.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Nice, this is way cool!
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
SugarBowl

I've been meaning to try and make an hd-dvd disc. Now i'll finally have some material.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Been doing that for a while with content from my HR10-250.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
You do not need a HD-DVD or Blu-ray writer; you can do this using standard DVDs. You can do this because both high-definition formats support high-definition playback from DVD media.
Important Note

All recordings must total 4.38Gb (or less) for burning to a single-layer 4.7Gb DVD or 7.96Gb (or less) for burning to a dual-layer 8.5Gb DVD.
If this is in the standard, why don't all of the Blu-ray players support it?

Can this be done in multiple sessions (e.g. do one episode this week, burn to DVD-R, then burn next ep next week and then finalize)?

Can you choose where the layer change is?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
litkaj

Quote:
Most high-definition movies from HBO-HD, Cinemax-HD, SHO-HD, TMC-HD, STARZ-HD, and Universal-HD will fit on a single 8.5Gb DVD.
Sorry, but that is only going to be true for providers who recompress the original streams. I just checked my S3 through TiVo Desktop and found the following:
  • The Blob - 1:30 - 12GB
  • Cool Hand Luke - 2:16 - 18GB
  • Blazing Saddles - 1:36 - 12.5GB
  • Dangerous Liaisons - 2:01 - 16GB

None of those have commercials, although they do each have a couple minutes of fluff at the end. Even so, none are anywhere near 8.5GB. I did have a couple of HD movies that were smaller but even though were about 6GB/hour (could have been 720p).

I suppose you could split them to multiple discs, but a better solution would be to reencode the stream to AVC before authoring the disk. If done properly there will be no noticeable quality loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by litkaj
Sorry, but that is only going to be true for providers who recompress the original streams. I just checked my S3 through TiVo Desktop and found the following:
  • The Blob - 1:30 - 12GB
  • Cool Hand Luke - 2:16 - 18GB
  • Blazing Saddles - 1:36 - 12.5GB
  • Dangerous Liaisons - 2:01 - 16GB

None of those have commercials, although they do each have a couple minutes of fluff at the end. Even so, none are anywhere near 8.5GB.
Those recordings are made from Hdnet Movies, which uses a 50+% higher bitrate than HBO, SHO, TMC, Universal HD, etc. That information is in the FAQ, where I listed typical hourly bitrates for each channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
If this is in the standard, why don't all of the Blu-ray players support it?
With HD-DVD, high-definition playback from DVD was part of the original specification. They call it 3X DVD.

Blu-ray added that feature at the "11th hour" because HD-DVD had it and they did not, and at least one major studio wanted it. Because Blu-ray added the feature so late in the game, many of the early first-generation players do not support it. I'm not certain high-definition playback from DVD is a mandatory feature of the Blu-ray specification, but I do know that the players I mentioned above support it. Some other Blu-ray players may support it as well, but I couldn't state that definitively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
Can this be done in multiple sessions (e.g. do one episode this week, burn to DVD-R, then burn next ep next week and then finalize)?

Can you choose where the layer change is?
I've never tried that so I do not know.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-25-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

bkdtv:

Could you write a bit about 24p vs 60i perhaps in your bit rate section?

Thanks.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
bdraw

Nice job!

Wow, I always forget how low those bit rates are. I guess it's not in my head that Blu-ray movies look so much better than those on cable.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
MJedi

Thanks for the instructions! Can't wait to try this... But, is Ulead the only application that can create HD-DVD's or Blu-ray projects?

I hope someone can create the instructions for a Mac as well.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi
Thanks for the instructions! Can't wait to try this... But, is Ulead the only application that can create HD-DVD's or Blu-ray projects?

Nero can do it also.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi

There are a number of applications that can do it. The problem is most applications want to re-encode the files. Re-encoding high-definition takes a very long time on most PCs and also degrades quality.

Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus is able to use the original, unmodified MPEG-2 recording, so HD-DVD and Blu-ray compatible DVDs can be created in 5-10 minutes instead of 5-10 hours.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
and then open that MPG in HDTVtoMPEG2 to remove the commercials.
I get an error "Could Not Find A Channel" when I try to open the .mpg file in HDTVtoMPEG2. Any idea how to fix that?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion
I get an error "Could Not Find A Channel" when I try to open the .mpg file in HDTVtoMPEG2. Any idea how to fix that?
For some reason, I thought HDTVtoMPEG2 could open MPG files, but it only opens .TS files. Sorry about that. It looks like you will need to use VideoRedo to remove commercials.

I use VideoRedo -- a great application -- so the instructions were based on that. But I wanted to give members a free alternative to VideoRedo, so listed HDTVtoMPEG2. But unless there is a free utility to convert the Tivo MPG to a TS file, I guess it's not possible to use that app to remove commercials.

I edited the first post to remove the references to HDTVtoMPEG2.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-24-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
Canoehead
1 of The Curs'd 200

What about storing the product on a DLNA server and serving to a PS3 or Xbox 360 ?
Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
bdraw

On a Mac you can use TiVoDecode Manger to extract and decode to MPEG2.
Then you can use MPEG Streamclip to clip out commercials.
But the only thing I know to burn HD DVD/Blu-ray compatible DVDs is DVD Studio Pro 4, which is about $1300.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
On a Mac you can use TiVoDecode Manger to extract and decode to MPEG2.
Then you can use MPEG Streamclip to clip out commercials.
But the only thing I know to burn HD DVD/Blu-ray compatible DVDs is DVD Studio Pro 4, which is about $1300.
When I tried that MPEG Streamclip wouldn't open the MPG file claiming that I needed the QuickTime 6 MPEG2 plugin. I have Quicktime 7 with the MPEG2 plugin. So I converted it to H264 first and then manually clipped out the commercials.

Can MPEG Streamclip autodetect commercials? Or even clip out stuff? The only way I could get it to work was to set one in and one out point for the first act of a show, save it, and then repeat for each act. Then I used QTPro to stitch the files back together.

EDIT: nevermind. RTFM.
MPEG Streamclip doesn't autodetect, but I see now that you can cut out frames (i.e. the commercials). I'm going to do some more checking about the MPEG2 thing, as it is possible I never upgraded the MPEG2 component when I upgraded to Quicktime 7. I guess I'll have to give Apple $20 for a third time for this. <sigh>

Last edited by pkscout : 10-24-2007 at 05:54 PM.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
For some reason, I thought HDTVtoMPEG2 could open MPG files, but it only opens .TS files. Sorry about that. It looks like you will need to use VideoRedo to remove commercials.
That's OK. Your information has been super-valuable, thanks! I'll see if I can dig up a free utility somewhere that can automatically clip commercials from MPEG2 files. Until then, manually editing things in NeroVision worked for me.

Edit: I've found a way to automatically remove commercials in MPEG files using free utilities. Not sure if this will work with HD files; I've only tried with SD for now. Download the latest version of ComSkip here, which is a command-line driven utility to scan for commercials in MPEG files. Then download the latest version of ComCut here, which is a GUI front-end for ComSkip that is a lot easier to use. ComCut just has a few options, and one of them is the installation location of ComSkip, which you'll have to fill in. Other than that, it should pretty much just work. When running the program, be patient, it is pretty slow process.

Last edited by Saxion : 10-24-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Saxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #21
gschoen

Quote:
How do you transfer this content to the PC using Tivo Desktop? All mine are copy protected.
gschoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschoen
How do you transfer this content to the PC using Tivo Desktop? All mine are copy protected.
My question exactly. I can't even transfer most of this stuff to another S3. Other OTA stuff, the only things I've been able to transfer are_SOME_ Discovery HDT stuff and some TNTHD stuff.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #23
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschoen
Few cable companies apply widespread copy protection, except to premium cable channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. If your provider is among those that does copy-protect most their digital cable channels, there is not much you can do about that.

FCC mandate permits cable companies to apply copy protection (CCI 0x02) -- preventing use of TTG and MRV -- on any channel outside of the limited basic tier. This is typically an independent decision by the cable company, but it can done at the request of the content provider, some of whom now want some copy protection as part of the contract renewal for their channel(s).

Cable companies are not permitted to copy-protect local channels. If you are not able to use TTG (or MRV) with a recording from a local channel, you should contact your cable provider to have them correct the problem. Tell them they are using a CCI value of 0x02 on their local channels that prevents copying, in violation of federal law.

My provider is Verizon FiOS, which does not copy-protect most content. I know some are switching from Comcast to FiOS for that reason.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
I'm not certain high-definition playback from DVD is a mandatory feature of the Blu-ray specification, but I do know that the players I mentioned above support it. Some other Blu-ray players may support it as well, but I couldn't state that definitively.
Yeah, it is called 'BD9' - which is basically short for Blu-ray Disc on DVD9 media. All the software aspects of Blu-ray, but the old disc hardware.

Most BD players support it - either 'out of the box' or with a firmware update. This is the format used by some newer HD 'Blu-ray' camcorders, recording using Blu-ray formatting onto mini-DVD media.

While 3XDVD and BD9 are *VERY* similar - same media, same codecs - they're not really compatible. There are variances in the specified bitrates (3XDVD has a lower bitrate/longer runtime, while BD9 went for higher bitrate/lower runtime), and some other aspects. So while it *may* be possible to play a 3XDVD in a BD player, or a BD9 in an HD DVD player - depending on how tolerant the player is - don't count on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #25
TexasGrillChef

Roxio Version 10 and a Blu-ray recorder will work just fine.

Using TiVo Desktop 2.5 & Roxio 10 I have succesfully transfered Heroes in HD to a Blu-Ray disc & it has succesfully played in HD on both my Samsung & Pioneer Blu-Ray players

TGC

P.S. I am using a 50gb Re-writable Blu-Ray disc... and so far I have the entire season copied over & STILL have room for at least 4-6 more episodes. (Currently 5 shows on Blu-ray using 16gb... I remove commericals)
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #26
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
[*] When will Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus directly support Tivo files, eliminating the need to load recordings in VideoRedo first?

Good question! I want to know the answer too.[/list]
When I called a friend of mine that works for them... they said they were working on the TiVo file format & should have that in VERSION 7 PLUS.

Roxio 10 has full support for HD TiVo files & WILL BURN Blu-Ray discs for those of us with Blu-Ray players & Blu-Ray burners.

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef
Roxio Version 10 and a Blu-ray recorder will work just fine.

Using TiVo Desktop 2.5 & Roxio 10 I have succesfully transfered Heroes in HD to a Blu-Ray disc & it has succesfully played in HD on both my Samsung & Pioneer Blu-Ray players
Quote:
Roxio 10 has full support for HD TiVo files & WILL BURN Blu-Ray discs for those of us with Blu-Ray players & Blu-Ray burners.
Roxio 10 still won't burn high-definition files to DVD, unfortunately. You need a Blu-ray burner (and expensive BD-RE media) if you want to use that program. I like DVDs because they cost me about 10 cents each.

Quote:
When I called a friend of mine that works for them... they said they were working on the TiVo file format & should have that in VERSION 7 PLUS.
That is excellent news, thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #28
MichaelLAX

Quote:
I like DVDs because they cost me about 10 cents each.
I use T.Yuden 4x DVD-Rs at about 30 cents each. What do you use for 10 cents?
MichaelLAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #29
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX
I use T.Yuden 4x DVD-Rs at about 30 cents each. What do you use for 10 cents?
Cheap stuff on sale.

I guess that is a little misleading, since I use better DVD-Rs with printable white labels to archive my favorite programs in high-def. But just to give a friend a copy of something like Heroes for playback on their PS3 or HD-DVD player, I use whatever I found on sale via Anandtech Deals, Fatwallet.com, etc.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #30
MichaelLAX

Quote:
But just to give a friend a copy of something like Heroes for playback on their PS3 or HD-DVD player...
Your friends don't get NBC?
MichaelLAX is offline   Reply With Quote