TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Stinkweed8

Tivo sounds on an S3

Some of the 'bloop-bleep' sounds do not seem to work on my TivoHD. For instance, when Fast forwarding or 30-second skipping, the TivoHD does not make the bleeping noises. I know some people don't like the noises, but we do in our house. I have 9.2J running, however these sounds have not worked for any of the iterations.

Yes, I have them turned on (the sounds work for other things).

Any Ideas? I have rebooted several times.
Stinkweed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
samaritan66

I have the same issue. sounds in the menus, but nothing while fast forwarding. I miss the comforting Tivo tones.
samaritan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Jiffylush

I think it is related to DTS or surround sound, I think that is what makes the sound not happen.

See if you have the problem while watching regular SD programming.
Jiffylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Joybob

Tivo sounds do not work via Dolby Digital. There is no work-around.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Stinkweed8

Thats kind of lame. I am using a A/V receiver and an optical line out. Why would this not work? I think Tivo needs to address this.
Stinkweed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
flc

you cant add anything to a dolby digital audio track, simple as, no way around it.

you *can* have the bleep-bloop back by using the dolby digital to PCM stereo at the expense of the surround sound
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

Technically they could do it.

But you would have to buy a new and compatible receiver.

How badly do you want your bloop bloops?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
demon
BURNINATOR

It doesn't work because Dolby Digital audio is a compressed audio format; decompressing up to *6* channels, adding the effects, then recompressing them (that's what would be required) would likely involve a loss of audio fidelity, plus it would add to the cost (either requiring additional dedicated ASICs on the board for the purpose, or a meatier CPU to do the decoding/encoding on the CPU). I suppose it's theoretically possible to have the TiVo take over decoding duties, but the TiVo currently doesn't provide all channels in PCM form, just downmixed to stereo; you could suggest to TiVo that they include support for multichannel PCM, but that assumes that the board has sufficient leftover bus bandwidth to handle 6 PCM channels instead of just 2. And it'd only work via HDMI. Basically, it's a technical limitation that they didn't think was important enough to worry about - and I agree with them.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
CharlesH

Continuing along the line of the previous message, I don't think the Series3 boxes have Dolby Digital encoder hardware. They can decode it, to provide sound on the analog output, but not encode.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
demon
BURNINATOR

Dolby Digital encoding *can* be done in software, hence why I mentioned the CPU; however, it seems a rather pointless use of a lot of CPU time.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon
Dolby Digital encoding *can* be done in software, hence why I mentioned the CPU; however, it seems a rather pointless use of a lot of CPU time.
Not to mention it might cause some weird ass latency issues with the sound.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
steved64
Byte Mechanic

no mixing required

Me too I totally understand the complexity involved to decode/mix/encode a multi-channel audio stream.

But what if you replace instead of mix? In most (all?) cases the program audio stream is muted during any of these operations, doesn't have to be *mixed* with tivo sounds. Seems like it would only need to decouple audio/video, sending the tivo sound effect instead of the program audio. They should have this much control already since the audio is muted if it's not being played at regular speed. Surely they would store the sounds pre-encoded ready for output, no need for local hw or sw encoder. I've already interrupted the program so I don't care if there is some fraction of a second while either audio or video is clipped to the next sync point, or delayed for the duration of the initial/final tivo sound effect. Why is it not that simple?
steved64 is offline   Reply With Quote