Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #121
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Only a 12mbs transfer speed?
It appears transfer times improve a bit if you are playing a recording. I had that speed, then it shot up to about 16mbps when I was watching a recording of The Daily Show during lunch.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #122
mikesay98

I don't get it. I'm transferring an episode of Jay Leno (HD) from my S3 to my PC (1 hour show) and it's telling me the estimated time is around 3.5 hours. It shouldn't be taking this long! Sure, I'm on wireless, and the network is wireless B, but that should be plenty fast to transfer at a high speed. Also, the router and TiVo are both in my room, so the signal quality isn't in question. I have the TiVo wireless adapter, so it shouldn't be a question of compatibility. My computer is fairly new and the specs are great. I just don't understand this!!
mikesay98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #123
tivoknucklehead

Using a draft N wireless Linksys router and a "G" Tivo adapter at a distance of about 70 feet I transferred a 40 mb MPEG vid clip to my S3 in 29 seconds.
Also, a 210 mb clip (10 minutes, ten seconds long) in 2 minutes 52 seconds
This is the equivalent of a 60 minute show in about 12-15 minutes. I am very happy with that transfer speed

Last edited by tivoknucklehead : 10-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #124
wazooda

Sorry as this is probably a dumb question... but I am unclear if this is possible:

Is it possible to xfer HD content from my PC to my S3 for viewing? I have TONS of home video I've shot with my Sony HD VideoCam that I am currently streaming with a Avel Linkplayer 2. I would LOVE to remove the Linkplayer and only use my Tivo. I can transcode it into any format (divx, H264, etc.) Would using PyTivo or a similar program work for HD?
wazooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #125
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Thanks for the tip on TiVoDecode Manager! Now downloading the "Pushing Daisies" pilot in HD to my iMac. Looks like it'll take about 2 hours (2x real time).
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #126
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazooda
Sorry as this is probably a dumb question... but I am unclear if this is possible:

Is it possible to xfer HD content from my PC to my S3 for viewing? I have TONS of home video I've shot with my Sony HD VideoCam that I am currently streaming with a Avel Linkplayer 2. I would LOVE to remove the Linkplayer and only use my Tivo. I can transcode it into any format (divx, H264, etc.) Would using PyTivo or a similar program work for HD?
It was in the first post in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
And yes, TiVoToComeBack (transferring video from your PC to your TiVo DVR) is supported, although HD content must have been originally recorded on a TiVo DVR to 'come back' as HD. HD content from other sources may be converted to SD and transferred to the DVR using TiVo Desktop Plus. Supporting HD transfers from the PC of non-TiVo content is being investigated.

MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #127
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Only a 12mbs transfer speed?
Yep. It's on a wireless G network with the Series 3 connected with ethernet to a WLAN extender.

Still about 50% better than the transfers from the Series2 connected the same way.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #128
tootal2

i cant get ttg to work but mrv works

I get this while it is downloading program list from my tivo hd. It gets to about program 41 of 97 then this happens

there was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected dvr

how can i fix this?
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #129
ncbagwell

My Series 3 updated to 9.2 but my other Series 2 Tivos are still on 9.1xxx. Do I have to wait for all of the Series 2s to update in order to get MRV working? It isn't right now and I've forced connections and restarted on all 4 Tivos.
ncbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #130
ldudek

TTCB not working

I have an .avi file of Boston Legal that has been sitting in the "My TiVo Recordings" folder forever. I took it out and put it back in but it won't appear on my "Now Playing List."

Any ideas?
ldudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #131
wazooda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
It was in the first post in the thread.
Doh! Missed that.

That feature, personally, is my Holy Grail.

I hope that someone figures out a way to do it.
wazooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #132
Raymond Day

I went to name my TiVo HD at Tivo.com and seen it had the check box on it all ready for transfers. I did a connect to TiVo last was like 3 am. I did the connect at about 1:30 pm. It did it fast and I tested TiVo Desktop and it can list it's shows now. I went to test is wit the "Welcome and the Basics" that came with it but Transfer Status says "interrupted" I guess because the TiVo HD is recording one show as I am doing the transfer.

Are they going to fix it so when the TiVo HD is in stand by the record LED's will be on? They don't turn on even when you set it to all light on.

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #133
Sadara
huh?

I haven't had the chance to "test" out the transfers yet. However, over lunch I did check my Tivo and it does have the ability to transfer. I'll check it out later.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #134
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldudek
I have an .avi file of Boston Legal that has been sitting in the "My TiVo Recordings" folder forever. I took it out and put it back in but it won't appear on my "Now Playing List."

Any ideas?
you have to look in the "PC named xxx" Folder in Now Playing for that and all your files located on your PC
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #135
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
NOTE: For all those clamoring for Free Space Indicator, now utilities such as TivoPlayList are now working for S3/THD units.
OT but is anyone else having trouble getting the ftp site to open?
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #136
mae

copy protection setting

Great to have this working, but it does bring out a problem with the way my cable provider (Comcast-Howard County, MD) has the CCI for all channels except the OTA feeds set to 0x02, so they can't be transferred.

From what I've read here, shouldn't that only be applied to the premium channels, like HBO and not the basic cable channels like TNT, USA or Food Network?

Is this an FCC issue or can the provider set these at will?
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #137
ivyvine420

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerfeld
Thank you for remembering the preferences of those of us who snuck in sideways a few months back when the checkbox was prematurely enabled.

Hah, that's what I did months ago and then it was disabled. I totally forgot about it, and so I went to go and "enable" transfers for my S3 and it was already done for me. Very convenient. I don't have 9.2 yet, but when I woke up and turned on my TV to check both LR tivos (S2 and S3) for updates (to 9.2), I saw the a,a,a and totally flipped. I wasn't expecting it 'til Nov, and not until after 9.2 at least.

Hee. S3 is showing my Media Access Key, now just need to get my S3 to show up on other Tivos under Now Playing...

Hopefully it's doing that right now with my manual forced connections to all 3 Tivos we have.
ivyvine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #138
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldudek

Any ideas?
The regular TiVo Desktop can not play .avi files, it only plays MPEG-2 files. TiVo Desktop Plus or pyTiVo will allow you to select .avi files to play.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #139
sammydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
I got 9.2 last night and I was still listed as i,i,i on my Series3.

Whoa, spoke too soon... on TiVo.com my S3 is now showing "Transferred ALLOWED"

Now I just gotta get my new Intel iMac (next week) so I can install Windows. Because I refuse to pay for something on my Mac that Windows users get for free.
Um...don't forget that you'll have to purchase a full copy of Windows for that Mac.
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #140
MickeS

The "Heroes" HD transfer took almost exactly 75 minutes (for a 64 minute recording). Not too bad.

Now I just need to figure out how to play it... both Media Player Classic and WMP crash when I try and play the file.

I hope this isn't related to the fact that I transferred using Galleon.

Ah... the error was because I didn't have TiVo Desktop installed. Plays fine now. Yay.

Last edited by MickeS : 10-23-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #141
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
OT but is anyone else having trouble getting the ftp site to open?
Yes, I was unable to download it. Does someone have a link to this software that works?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #142
ivyvine420

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
BTW does each Tivo generate a Key, or is it just the same key that is available from Tivo.com under Media Access Key?

Yes, it just gives you the same MAK for each of your Tivos (it is basically the MAK for your Tivo account), but while you may already know what that MAK is, you have to wait for the Tivos to (individually) connect and get that certificate that shows it it can do the transfers and MRV etc, so it doesn't really help you out, you still have to wait for that to happen.

Forcing all your Tivo Units to connect should help speed this up, but today also seems like its going to be a VERY busy Tivo Server day and that will slow things down.

It does make it easier when using programs that need the MAK (Tivo Desktop and others) because it will already be inputted the MAK (if you have used the program(s) before with a Series 2) and you can just go ahead and do whatever it is you want, without the installing of applications and finding and entering in the Media Access Key hassle.
ivyvine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #143
oldnacl

From the reports of the average transfer speed, I'm beginning to wonder what all the excitement is about. In the same amount of time I can burn a DVD from a TiVo show and take it anywhere. On the other hand, my ReplayTV will let me watch something from another room in real time (in SD, of course). What will I gain buying another TiVo HD and subscription that I don't already have? It sounds like most of the HD shows will be disabled - I don't watch much commercial TV - mostly Discovery HD, HBO and the like. I was enthused at first, even have a second TiVoHD in my amazon shopping cart, but now I'm wondering.
A benefit I could see, for example,would be to finish watching a show in the bedroom that you started in the living room. If I have to wait an hour for the show to transfer, I'd be asleep or would just finish watching it in the living room.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #144
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

TiVoDecode Manager isn't working for me. It sees the Now Playing list, but stalls at 0.07% when I try to download last night's Chuck. It tries to resume three separate times, gets to 0.07% each time, then finally cancels the download. An SD recording (today's Price is Right) doesn't even get that far.

Hope it starts working, or I'm screwed till I get an Intel Mac for TiVoDesktop. Like cwoody222, I absolutely refuse to pay for TT8.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #145
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
From the reports of the average transfer speed, I'm beginning to wonder what all the excitement is about. In the same amount of time I can burn a DVD from a TiVo show and take it anywhere.
If you burn a lot of DVDs, TTG is NOT the way to go for archiving to DVD. A standalone burner or a TiVo with burner are much better alternatives. But if you only do it occasionally, TTG is an inexpensive solution, provided you already have a computer and a network.

Quote:
A benefit I could see, for example,would be to finish watching a show in the bedroom that you started in the living room. If I have to wait an hour for the show to transfer, I'd be asleep or would just finish watching it in the living room.
I think for HD the appeal is definitely limited due to transfer speeds, but archiving is still a good use for it. Also, HD MRV should be near realtime, so except for the example above, it might work pretty good when you just want to watch a show from the beginning.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #146
Laserfan

My gosh, everything seems to have been set for my S3 today--Transfers ALLOWED, a Media Access Key, a,a,a/Name is back, etc. But... I need something called TivotoGo for Windows? Their web page says "not for S3" do I ignore that and pay the $25 bucks? What's TTG+?

Confused about what to buy to make this work--or are there any freeware alternatives?

Sorry but I'm an old S1 guy...
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #147
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
My gosh, everything seems to have been set for my S3 today--Transfers ALLOWED, a Media Access Key, a,a,a/Name is back, etc. But... I need something called TivotoGo for Windows? Their web page says "not for S3" do I ignore that and pay the $25 bucks? What's TTG+?

Confused about what to buy to make this work--or are there any freeware alternatives?

Sorry but I'm an old S1 guy...
You need to download the free TiVo Desktop from the TiVo site. For basic functionality, that's about it.

If you want to do more stuff, you can buy TiVo Desktop Plus or use free alternatives like Galleon, Videora TiVo Converter and/or pyTiVo.

/Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #148
jrm01

Quote:
You don't have to wait an hour for the transfer to complete. You can start watching while it is transferring. You just need to build up a buffer before you begin. Start the transfer, close the doors, clean up the mess in the Living Room, turn off the lights downstairs, change into jammies, brush your teeth and it should be ready for you to finish watching.

However, it would be nice if you could push the transfer to the bedroom instead of having to go up there and pull it in.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #149
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyvine420
Yes, it just gives you the same MAK for each of your Tivos (it is basically the MAK for your Tivo account), but while you may already know what that MAK is, you have to wait for the Tivos to (individually) connect and get that certificate that shows it it can do the transfers and MRV etc, so it doesn't really help you out, you still have to wait for that to happen.

Forcing all your Tivo Units to connect should help speed this up, but today also seems like its going to be a VERY busy Tivo Server day and that will slow things down.

It does make it easier when using programs that need the MAK (Tivo Desktop and others) because it will already be inputted the MAK (if you have used the program(s) before with a Series 2) and you can just go ahead and do whatever it is you want, without the installing of applications and finding and entering in the Media Access Key hassle.
Thanks, multiple (around 15) connections eventually got it all working.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #150
mae

Question no audio

I transferred an SD program to my PC using Desktop, but there's no audio in either Windows Media Player or Media Center. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to change a setting or add a CODEC?

Thanks.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote