TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #91
jrm01

Anyone else having the problem of transfers halted due to "recorded in unknown format"? It's happening on my S3 => THD and THD => S3.

I'm still on 9.1 if that matters (waiting for priority 9.2).
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #92
pkscout

OK, apparently 20 forced connections is the magic number.

I finally got a media access key and my TiVo has a name in the system preferences that matches what I put in on the TiVo web site.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #93
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Now transferring from an S2 to an THD without any problems -- so far.

Just very slow -- and that's over a wired network.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #94
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
You know, if you're going to post a link just to drive traffic to a blog for which you work, the least you could do is disclose that.
If someone is coming over here to post something as earth shattering as MRV and TTG being turned on, I think a source link is expected.

I am thankful that he came over to post this news before we heard about it from TiVo or anyone else.

Thanks for the news bdraw,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #95
sinanju

I'm doing a transfer now. I'm moving a copy of NUMB3RS in HD -- 7,892MB. It's looking like the download will complete in 1.5 hours, maybe less. My S3 and laptop are wired into a 100MB switch.

Let me be the first to say that I'm more than a little surprised that tools we've all come to know and love work on the transfered recordings. 'nuff said.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #96
TroyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
OK, apparently 20 forced connections is the magic number.

I finally got a media access key and my TiVo has a name in the system preferences that matches what I put in on the TiVo web site.
Mine is showing up now also. Maybe Tivo is having to do something with everyones account for it to issue the key and they are sending it out in batches. I now have the Media Key showing up and also the name of the DVR in the System Information Screen.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #97
Dajad

Testing now ...

- My S3 is still on 9.1 and it is happily transferring content from my S2 to the S3 and from the S3 to my S2 AT THE SAME TIME!!!. I'm going to love this. I have both TiVo's side-by-side. I don't intend to use them in multiple rooms. But I love the ability to "load balance" the system by moving my permanent recordings from the S2 to the much more capacious eSATA drive on my S3.

- When I went to TiVo's "Manage my accounts" page, the "Transfer Allowed" setting was already activated - I guess I must have clicked on that at some point in the past.

- AS with CrisypCritter, my S3 can see the name of my S2 ("Dale's Series 2), but not the other way around, my S2 just says "DVR" instead of "Dale's Series 3" as I have named it. But, it still works.

Update: I just noticed that in the "System Information" screen on my S3 it says "<Name this DVR on tivo.com> which is really odd because I have named it on TiVo.com, I named it on TiVo.com a long time ago and when I visit "Manage my Account" on TiVo.com it is properly named. I have just renamed my two TiVos to see if the new names take.

...Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Last edited by Dajad : 10-23-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #98
rileyrd

Smile Working great in all directions!

I reset my transfer flag this morning at 8 am. A hour ago I went home for lunch and forced a connection on my HD.

Immediately afterward I could transfer from my PC running Tivo Desktop and Transfer from my S2 DT. Also was able to Transfer from HD to S2DT without problem.

The only issue I have is that the name on the HD is still not updated. The HD has been setup for two weeks and is running 9.2
rileyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #99
ldudek

Patiently....kind of....waiting for Media Access Key.

I've got a.,a.,a. after forcing a call.
ldudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #100
Dajad

Anyone know if TiVo-to-come back movies transferred from Mpeg4 / H.264 stay that way on the S3. I have copied my workout-videos to my S2 just a couple weeks ago. They are all in H.264. TiVo Desktop converted them to Mpeg2 while transferring to the S2 (obviously). I'd rather keep them in H.264 format and copy them to the S3 if the S3 has turned on its native support for H.264. Anyone know?

...Dale

<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #101
Stu_Bee

Has someone tested PC -> S3 transfers yet? (I didn't see a test in this thread)
Did pyTivo work for you?

TTCB has been the main missing feature that's held me back from upgrading to an S3...nice to see it finally arrive!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #102
jrm01

Well, I forced connections on both my S3 and THD and the correct name appeared for both machines in System Information, and my problem went away with "recorded in unknown format". Transfers are now working.

Interesting though, the names of the machines are proper in their own System Information, but they still show up with default names on the "remote NPL". Maybe it requires a restart to fix this.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #103
rodalpho

TTG seems to work fine, except that my cable company marks almost everything "copy once" so I can't actually transfer anything I want to save. Haven't had a chance to look at TTCB yet. I just wish it supported HD and mpeg4.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #104
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Bee
Did pyTivo work for you?

TTCB has been the main missing feature that's held me back from upgrading to an S3...nice to see it finally arrive!

I just transferred a recording made with my Series 2 last year archived on my pc to my Series 3 without issue.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #105
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
TTG seems to work fine, except that my cable company marks almost everything "copy once" so I can't actually transfer anything I want to save. Haven't had a chance to look at TTCB yet. I just wish it supported HD and mpeg4.
If your cable company is doing that, that is illeagal. They do not have the right to make decisions about what is copy never, copy once. You should have TiVo talk to them.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #106
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
Everything was already setup with my system. Transferring a 2 hours HD movie to my PC , estimated time: 6 hours!! Time to upgrade to a "n" wireless network.

I have a Linksys draft n router and all G Tivo adapters and I just transferred a couple vid clips from my PC to my S3 in amazingly fast times. I'll have to do a speed test to see how fast
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #107
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Bee
Did pyTivo work for you?

I'm trying....My S3 still hasn't given me my MAK. I entered the one at TiVo.com but I guess it doesn't work until the S3 gets it too.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #108
jaydfwtx

Attn Mac users. This works for me:

Tivo Decode Manager (google it, I can't post links yet)

I've only tried an SD program. I'm trying an HD broadcast program now.

The native mpeg2 transfers won't open in quicktime, but VLC works.
jaydfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #109
Fab2004

Restarting did the trick, but I had to do a hard reset (power cord off, wait 30 secs), because a soft reset (from Tivo Menu) didn't work.

Now I'm transfering a recording :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Try restarting the TiVo -- that's what I had to do to activate the Media Access Key.

Fab2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #110
rodalpho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldudek
If your cable company is doing that, that is illeagal. They do not have the right to make decisions about what is copy never, copy once. You should have TiVo talk to them.
No, it's not. Everything except for locals is marked copy once (0x02), not copy never (0x03).
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #111
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

This is good news and by the time it's been fully tested and vetted by S3 and HD owners I will have saved up for my own.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #112
moyekj

NOTE: For all those clamoring for Free Space Indicator, now utilities such as TivoPlayList are now working for S3/THD units.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #113
ldudek

Guys, Please Help!

What in the heck do I need to do to get "My Computer" to show up on the "now playing" list. Instructions say I need it to view my videos from computer. And yes, these are files that I should be able to view.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #114
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

First one-hour program transferred from S2 to THD, in about 45 minutes over a wired network. It was recorded at Best Quality.

Now timing one-hour program transfer #2 -- it's going slower than real time.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #115
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
Is the way for Mac users to use a browser to access their Now Playing list to directly download .tivo files to their desktop enabled too?
Yes. In fact any browser on any OS, with the appropriate security can pull the .tivo files.
Quote:
I realize once on the Mac those .tivo files are useless without the $80 TTG Mac software but it would be easier for me to use the browser to get the files, then moved them to a Windows machine than to have to use Windows to even download the files.
You can do that web thing on Windows too, or use TiVoPlayList. Although I suspect the PC is where it cannot connect tot he Tivo, which you can download with the Mac and trasnfer to youe PC however.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #116
MickeS

I seem to get a little better speed on TTG from my Series 3 than from my Series 2. Transferring "Heroes" in HD from last night right now, and it's at about 1500 kB/sec so far.... this will take about 75 minutes I think.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #117
MickeS

By the way the "letterbox on 16:9 TV" bug seems to be there on the Series 3 for TTCB content, based on my limited testing this morning. Disappointing.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #118
cptodd
Just Me!

I have achieved "Tripple A" status and put my media access key into my "TiVo Transfer" program that came with Toast but my TiVo still does not show up in the "TiVo Transfer" program. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

p.s. I did go online and put checks in the appropriate boxes at TiVo.com

EDIT: Do I need the TiVo desktop software?
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #119
ldudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
No, it's not. Everything except for locals is marked copy once (0x02), not copy never (0x03).
I just transfered a show from "Court TV" over. So no, not everything except locals is copy once. Maybe you mean every HD except locals. I'll double check that.

In the meantime guys, please tell me how to get the "My Computer" on the now playing list! What does it take?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #120
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
I seem to get a little better speed on TTG from my Series 3 than from my Series 2. Transferring "Heroes" in HD from last night right now, and it's at about 1500 kB/sec so far.... this will take about 75 minutes I think.
Only a 12mbs transfer speed?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote