TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #31
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

S3, 9.1. I had to go to tivo.com and check the video sharing boxes. Immediate connection didn't turn on sharing (still i,i,i,), but waited 10 minutes and tried again. This time it worked; I had status a,a,a and everything looks good.

I have transferred shows from S2 to S3 and they play fine. I have checked from an S2 to the S3 and about half the shows are marked as non-transferrable and the rest are good - exactly as expected.

The S3 has my PC listed, with all of its shows listed, so it looks like TTCB is working, though I haven't transferred any shows yet.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #32
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Oh, to set some expectations (I've mentioned this before, but will do so again here):

There are two 'types' of transfers - native and non-native. You won't see any reference in the UI to these terms, as it's rather techy, but so you know:

* Native transfers simply mean between like-generation platforms. Series2 to Series2. Series3 to Series3. Series3 to TiVo HD.

* Non-Native transfers refer to video shared across generations...Series2 to Series3 and vice versa.

Because the Series2 and Series3/TiVo HD platforms record in a slightly different MPEG format, some conversion is done during the transfer, making non-native transfers a bit slower.

Also, due to system resources, TiVo HD transfers are typically a bit slower at the moment. Speeding them up is something being investigated, but there is no additional information to share today.

There have been some reports of Series2 to Series2 transfers being slower than before, and we're investigating that as well. That is not intended or expected.

And yes, TiVoToComeBack (transferring video from your PC to your TiVo DVR) is supported, although HD content must have been originally recorded on a TiVo DVR to 'come back' as HD. HD content from other sources may be converted to SD and transferred to the DVR using TiVo Desktop Plus. Supporting HD transfers from the PC of non-TiVo content is being investigated.

Pony
Sweet
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #33
jrm01

My THD had Transfers Allowed, my S3 did not. I went in and changed that on Preferences, and now just waiting to get it updated in the box itself (still i,i,i). For those of you who have a,a,a, do you also have a DVR name on the box now?
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #34
pkscout

I'm so close I can taste it, but it's not quite working. I have 9.2, I checked the box, my TiVo has a,a,a for the status, but nothing works. If I go to the TiVo and check the Media Access Key in System Information, it says "media key temporarily unavailable." But if I go to the TiVo web site, it shows me a media access key.

Anyone else seeing that issue?
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #35
generaltso

MRV seems to be working, but my S3 boxes are still appearing nameless. Is there a trick to get the names that are set up in MMA to be forced down to the S3 boxes? Thanks Pony!
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #36
brianlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
And yes, TiVoToComeBack (transferring video from your PC to your TiVo DVR) is supported, although HD content must have been originally recorded on a TiVo DVR to 'come back' as HD. HD content from other sources may be converted to SD and transferred to the DVR using TiVo Desktop Plus. Supporting HD transfers from the PC of non-TiVo content is being investigated.

Pony
Confused - how can HD content get off a Series 3 in the first place? I thought TTG of HD content wasn't supported? Am I missing something?
brianlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #37
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
My THD had Transfers Allowed, my S3 did not. I went in and changed that on Preferences, and now just waiting to get it updated in the box itself (still i,i,i). For those of you who have a,a,a, do you also have a DVR name on the box now?
No, I'm still unnamed. My S3 just shows up as "DVR" from my S2s. though it's named "Frank" on tivo.com.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #38
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlees
Confused - how can HD content get off a Series 3 in the first place? I thought TTG of HD content wasn't supported? Am I missing something?
I assume HD content that hasnt been flagged copy never
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #39
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
I just checked one of my S2s and it can see my S3(I only checked the one so far). of course I can't actually transfer anything from my S3 as everything on it is HD. they even have a nifty little red symbol that lets you know you can't transfer the programs.

wow, that little image is bigger than I thought.
It also won't let you transfer a lot of SD stuff from cable channels.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #40
brianlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
I assume HD content that hasnt been flagged copy never
I checked Tivos website (https://www3.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/...o/windows.html). It says "Not yet available for Series3™ or TiVo HD". So, TTCB won't work for HD content.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #41
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I can transfer HD content from local channels like NBC, CBS, etc. Everything I have recorded from HBO HD is not available for transfer, which is what I expected. Stupid, but expected.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #42
Chimpware

Ok...

9.2, a,a,a on both Tivo HDs, in Program List I can see the other DVR as well as TTC server, but on both Tivos No Programs in program list for each other and the TTG server. Also trying to access TTG from PC does not work. On both Tivos under Media Access Key it shows Temporary Unavailable.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #43
brianlees

Plus, I'm pretty pi**ed off that I have to buy a program (Toast) to get TTG to work on my Mac but it is free for Windows users. Although, I'm sure this has been beaten to death in the past here. I'm new to Tivo, so forgive me. I'll sit in my office pi**ed off for a few minutes alone and then I should be better.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #44
cwoody222

Is the way for Mac users to use a browser to access their Now Playing list to directly download .tivo files to their desktop enabled too?

I realize once on the Mac those .tivo files are useless without the $80 TTG Mac software but it would be easier for me to use the browser to get the files, then moved them to a Windows machine than to have to use Windows to even download the files.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #45
cr33p

I guess it kinda sux you cant transfer HD content via TTCB to an HD unit but I myself have no need for it, stuff takes up too much room on my servers anyhow. They probably have that set up to thwart pirating of movies and stuff. All of mine are in SD anyhow, be nice if it would upconvert them however
Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #46
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

It is working on mine. I posted about it a few hours ago...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5623891

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #47
TroyB

Tivo website says transfers enabled but when I click on DVR in the now playing list it says "The remote DVR has no recordings" both S3's say this. I can not see the others Now Playing list, and TTG says access denied. I even unchecked the boxes on tivos website, rechecked them and forced another connection but am still getting the same response, system information shows a,a,a.
Anybody know why?
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #48
ADG
Allan

Quote:
We know with mismatched software that transfers should not work
Thanks. Just forced a connection on the new unit and it's installing a service release now (hopefully 9.2).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #49
demon
BURNINATOR

I just woke up a few minutes ago, and discovered this thread. After going and enabling transfers, it took two connections to TiVo for the transfer status to flip to "a,a,a", then a few more minutes for the Media Access Key to show up. I'm now transferring a show via TiVoToGo - an HD show, even. Awesome. Thank you Pony, and thanks to everyone at TiVo!
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #50
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
It is working on mine. I posted about it a few hours ago...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5623891
Yes, but that was hours after me...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5623741

Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #51
demon
BURNINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB
Tivo website says transfers enabled but when I click on DVR in the now playing list it says "The remote DVR has no recordings" both S3's say this. I can not see the others Now Playing list, and TTG says access denied. I even unchecked the boxes on tivos website, rechecked them and forced another connection but am still getting the same response, system information shows a,a,a.
Anybody know why?
Did you provide the appropriate Media Access Keys? Your TiVo may take a few minutes to generate its MAK the first time, but you need to provide it for the TiVo to provide downloads of the stored shows.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #52
TroyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon
Did you provide the appropriate Media Access Keys? Your TiVo may take a few minutes to generate its MAK the first time, but you need to provide it for the TiVo to provide downloads of the stored shows.
On the Tivo's it says media access key is unavailable on tivo desktop I entered the Media Key on my account page.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #53
cr33p

Quote:
On the Tivo's it says media access key is unavailable on tivo desktop I entered the Media Key on my account page.
You have forced connections to get the certificates like Pony had said right?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #54
jrm01

I have the Transfers working on all 3 boxes (S3, S2 and THD), but on the S3 it shows the following boxes:

"DVR" - which is my THD
"Bedroom" - which is my S2
"LAPTOP" - which is my PC

and also, "_tivo-videos DVR" - which appears to be a duplicate of my THD (exact same NPL)

Any idea where that name came from or why my THD shows up twice?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #55
TroyB

Quote:
You have forced connections to get the certificates like Pony had said right?
I have forced 4 connections on both S3's just tried it again still the same. Is everybody else showing something different than "media accrss key temporarily unavailable" when they select media access key on their Tivo's?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #56
jrm01

Well all appears to be setup, but every thing that I try to transfer from THD to S3 fails saying it was recorded in an unknown format. This includes HD-cable, HD-OTA and analog-cable.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #57
ADG
Allan

Yes, I also have "_tivo-videos DVR" listed and it is a duplicate of "DVR" (my second S3)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #58
jrm01

Quote:
I have forced 4 connections on both S3's just tried it again still the same. Is everybody else showing something different than "media accrss key temporarily unavailable" when they select media access key on their Tivo's?
My MA keys are correct on my S3 and THD.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #59
tivoknucklehead

just did a S2 to S3 transfer remotely over my slingbox (very cool by the way) , worked great !

had to do a forced connection to Tivo on my S3 to "enable" it first
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #60
String

Can one transfer to Tivos not made by tivo. I.e. the Humax Tivo/DVD? Can you transfer to a Tivo that has a "Basic" service option? Can one transfer to a tivo that does not have active service subscription? Meaning the subscription runs out, and just use it as a media extender not as a regular tivo, per se.
String is offline   Reply With Quote