TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #301
StEvEY5036

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnfein
FYI, i had the same problem - I ended up installing and using Zoom Player and associating that with .tivo files and that worked for me.

I suspect a Codec issue. The problem actually went away for me when I upgraded from the Desktop Basic software to the Pro software (about 5 minutes ago :-)
same problem as well.. any fix for the basic users?
StEvEY5036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #302
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnfein
FYI, i had the same problem - I ended up installing and using Zoom Player and associating that with .tivo files and that worked for me.

I suspect a Codec issue. The problem actually went away for me when I upgraded from the Desktop Basic software to the Pro software (about 5 minutes ago :-)
Zoom Player worked great and it's free! Thanks!
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #303
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfels
Am I missing something? This allows a download of a TiVo file for backup purposes only or can the files be played as well? Does this require the Tivo Desktop, or is it a pure web interface (does it work on Macs, for instance?).
Downloads aren't just for backup purposes. You can view them on your PC and Mac and burn them to DVD, HD-DVD, or Blu-ray disk.

Tivo Desktop is not required to download the files. You can use any web browser. One advantage of Tivo Desktop for Windows is that it lets you view recordings on your PC as they are transferred; you can't do that with some browsers. Basically, it provides multi-room viewing on any PC in your home.

To view the files on a Windows PC, you do need Tivo Desktop installed, regardless of whether you actually use that program to download recordings. Why? The Tivo recordings are stored as MPG format in an encrypted .Tivo wrapper, and Tivo Desktop includes the filter necessary to decode that wrapper.

I'm not as familiar with the Mac side, although I understand most Mac users are using the free Tivo Decode Manager. Once you download files to your Mac with that program, you should be able to view them with the free VideoLAN player.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #304
jcthorne

Yes, use a video format conversion tool to convert your .tivo files to .mpg and most of the compatibility issues on the PC side will go away. VideoReDo or Videora Tivo Conversion are 2, there are others and there are services that will run in the background and do the conversion on the fly if you want. I don't have good luck with background services so use the programs. I like VideoReDo so far. Go to the TTG area of the forum and learn much more about the files and how to use them.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #305
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne
I like VideoReDo so far.
Now isn't that web server the coolest darn thing!!!!?!!!

For the record, VideoReDo does indeed do frame-accurate editing of MPEG2 files: If you cut on an I-frame there is zero re-encoding. If you cut anywhere else (B or P) VRD re-constructs the GOP, but that is the only re-encoding that is done (at the cut points). For a typical hourlong TV show that means only a half-dozen cuts.

I have edited hundreds of HDTV programs and I never see any negative impact of re-encoding at cut points.

Another nice feature is the audio graph which shows you where there is no audio (for perfectly silent cutpoints).
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #306
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
Now isn't that web server the coolest darn thing!!!!?!!!

For the record, VideoReDo does indeed do frame-accurate editing of MPEG2 files: If you cut on an I-frame there is zero re-encoding. If you cut anywhere else (B or P) VRD re-constructs the GOP, but that is the only re-encoding that is done (at the cut points). For a typical hourlong TV show that means only a half-dozen cuts.

I have edited hundreds of HDTV programs and I never see any negative impact of re-encoding at cut points.

Another nice feature is the audio graph which shows you where there is no audio (for perfectly silent cutpoints).
I tried using VideoRedo to edit my .TIVO files and convert them to MPG but it's not working. During playback/editing of the video the audio is all scrambled and distorted.

Has anyone else had this problem with VideoRedo?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #307
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
I tried using VideoRedo to edit my .TIVO files and convert them to MPG but it's not working. During playback/editing of the video the audio is all scrambled and distorted.

I have not.

Are you using the latest version?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #308
Microman66

Took off the Wireless Tivo Adapter, and put an ethernet cable on. I started to download to the PC, another 30 minute episode of a program. It started out over 1 hr and 20 minutes, but when I went to the TV and put both tuners on a station that did not get a signal, the time dropped to 42 minutes, It is now averaging out and says 45 minutes to go with 8% done. A lot better than the over 2 hours I experienced last night. Now if I could only read them off the PC to play as fast, Will try that when I get done with this transfer.

Wish I had bought my lifetime Tivo 2 a little sooner so I could qualify for the transfer of Lifetime to this Tivo HD.

How do people tell there transfer speeds. People are always quoting the speed from PC to S3, and S3 to PC...

Thanks.

Oh, and I finally got my name on the TIVO HD, EVerything is falling into place. 12% done now.
Microman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #309
EndBoards

Some simple questions from page 2 that seem to have gotten lost in this thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by String
1) Can one transfer to Tivos not made by tivo. I.e. the Humax Tivo/DVD?
2) Can you transfer to a Tivo that has a "Basic" service option?
3) Can one transfer to a tivo that does not have active service subscription? Meaning the subscription runs out, and just use it as a media extender not as a regular tivo, per se.
My guess to #1 would be yes, but I have no idea...

I'd be especially interested in knowing the answers to #2 & 3 myself..
EndBoards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #310
bkdtv

Quote:
1) Can one transfer to Tivos not made by tivo. I.e. the Humax Tivo/DVD?
2) Can you transfer to a Tivo that has a "Basic" service option?
3) Can one transfer to a tivo that does not have active service subscription? Meaning the subscription runs out, and just use it as a media extender not as a regular tivo, per se.
1) Yes.
2) No.
3) No.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #311
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microman66

How do people tell there transfer speeds. People are always quoting the speed from PC to S3, and S3 to PC...
Here you go:

Quote:
How do I calculate my TivoToGo transfer rate?

The first step is to determine the time a recording took to transfer. That is easy to do because a PC keeps track of the time the file was created and the time it was last modified (i.e. finished), as well as the total file size in bytes. You do not need to sit by and wait for the transfer to finish.

After the transfer is complete, simply open the properties dialog for the .TiVo file. To do that, right-click on the file and select properties, then details. Subtract the "time created" from the "time modified" to find the total number of minutes the recording took to transfer. Once you know how many minutes it took to transfer, you can calculate throughput using the below equation:

TTG transfer rate = (File size of .TiVo Recording in Bytes on your PC * 8) / (Minutes to Transfer Recording * 60) / 1000000
Quote:
How do I calculate my MRV transfer rate?

The first step is to determine the time a recording took to transfer. The transfer start time is on the bottom-right of the recorded program screen. You do not need to sit and wait for the recording to finish, because the exact time of transfer completion will be listed under the "Keep Until" date for the newly transferred recording. Subtract the start time from the "Keep Until" time to find the total transfer time.

MRV transfer rate = (Size in Gigabytes on TiVo Info Screen * 1000 * 8) / ( Minutes to Transfer Recording * 60)
All transfer rates are in megabits per second (Mbps).
Old 10-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #312
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
I have not.

Are you using the latest version?
Yes, it's the latest version.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #313
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2

Nope works fine for me.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #314
EndBoards

Also, a question/concern of my own.. The transfer speeds being posted seem terribly slow.

What kind of speeds can I expect from a new 10/100 hardwired network in my house?

I know that it varies from show to show, but from what it looks like, HD uses about 7GB/hr

On a 100Mb/s network, theoretical transfer times for that file should be about 9 minutes (of course, actual speeds will be slower due to traffic & hiccups..)

Why are people in this thread posting 1 and 2 hour transfer times for 1 hour HD shows? Like I said - I hope most of you are using wireless..
EndBoards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #315
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards
Also, a question/concern of my own.. The transfer speeds being posted seem terribly slow.

What kind of speeds can I expect from a new 10/100 hardwired network in my house?

I know that it varies from show to show, but from what it looks like, HD uses about 7GB/hr

On a 100Mb/s network, theoretical transfer times for that file should be about 9 minutes (of course, actual speeds will be slower due to traffic & hiccups..)

Why are people in this thread posting 1 and 2 hour transfer times for 1 hour HD shows? Like I said - I hope most of you are using wireless..
Even on hardwired 10/100/1000 networks there are upper limits on MRV/S3 transfers that are well below 100 Mbps. Also THD transfers tend to be slower than S3 transfers right now for some reason. See my post here on my analysis:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5626398
Bottom line is for S3s MRV under "ideal" conditions seem to max out around 44 Mbps and under "normal" conditions about 30 Mbps. TTG is slower than MRV and THD unit max transfer speeds seem to be about half of the S3 rates.
Compared to S2 transfer rates these are very good IMO. There are many variables affecting transfer rates, so without all the details included a lot of the numbers you see posted in these forums don't mean much...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-24-2007 at 05:58 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #316
danitaz

Miraculously my settings for my S3 were already set to transfers allowed, and I just "stumbled" on this looking at my Now Playing List! Way cool <g>. I don't know that my 16 year old records anything that I really want to watch <heehee>, but I'm doing a test transfer to my S3 from her Humax right now just to say I can!

Danita
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #317
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Even on hardwired 10/100/1000 networks there are upper limits on MRV/S3 transfers that are well below 100 Mbps. Also THD transfers tend to be slower than S3 transfers right now for some reason. See my post here on my analysis:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5626398
Bottom line is for S3s MRV under "ideal" conditions seem to max out around 44 Mbps and under "normal" conditions about 30 Mbps. TTG is slower than MRV and THD unit max transfer speeds seem to be about half of the S3 rates.
Compared to S2 transfer rates these are very good IMO. There are many variables affecting transfer rates, so without all the details included a lot of the numbers you see posted in these forums don't mean much...
What exactly are these transfer numbers based on? What were you doing with a TiVo to create a 44 Mbps network transfer load?

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #318
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts
What exactly are these transfer numbers based on? What were you doing with a TiVo to create a 44 Mbps network transfer load?
He was probably using one of the two equations I posted above.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #319
moyekj

Quote:
If you click on the link to my original post I gave above you will see the details. In summary the 44 Mbps MRV rate I achieved was under "ideal" circumstances with both my S3s hard wired to same 10/100 switch with cat6 cables and all 4 tuners set to channels I don't receive, and not viewing the recording as it was transferring. Of course this is not something I would typically do, but it did show that minimizing load on the Tivos involved with the transfers gives a big boost in transfer speeds. (As bkdtv mentioned the Mbps rate was calculated using 8000*SIZE/(60*MINS) where SIZE is GB reported by Tivo "Info" and MINS was # of minutes the transfer took)

Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #320
azflackman

How to get Tivo Transfer to see my S3 playlist

I get the DVR on each Now Playing screen but don't see the S3 on TIVO Transfer list.
azflackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #321
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
If you click on the link to my original post I gave above you will see the details. In summary the 44 Mbps MRV rate I achieved was under "ideal" circumstances with both my S3s hard wired to same 10/100 switch with cat6 cables and all 4 tuners set to channels I don't receive, and not viewing the recording as it was transferring. Of course this is not something I would typically do, but it did show that minimizing load on the Tivos involved with the transfers gives a big boost in transfer speeds. (As bkdtv mentioned the Mbps rate was calculated using 8000*SIZE/(60*MINS) where SIZE is GB reported by Tivo "Info" and MINS was # of minutes the transfer took)
What I mean is what exactly were you doing when you say you achieved a certain rate for MRV? You tuned both tuners to channels that you don't receive to presumably stop it from messing with the disk while buffering, and then you watched a single program using MRV? Maybe I don't understand how MRV works. Is it like TTCB where you open an item in the Now Playing list and get a list of things that are available from another TiVo, and can choose one and start transferring it, playing it while it transfers? If so, how do you know precisely when it finishes transferring so that you can calculate a transmission rate?

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #322
sfhub

Quote:
If so, how do you know precisely when it finishes transferring so that you can calculate a transmission rate?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5630407
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #323
moyekj

Quote:
What I mean is what exactly were you doing when you say you achieved a certain rate for MRV? You tuned both tuners to channels that you don't receive to presumably stop it from messing with the disk while buffering, and then you watched a single program using MRV? Maybe I don't understand how MRV works. Is it like TTCB where you open an item in the Now Playing list and get a list of things that are available from another TiVo, and can choose one and start transferring it, playing it while it transfers? If so, how do you know precisely when it finishes transferring so that you can calculate a transmission rate?
Yes it's similar to that. You choose a show to transfer from a remote DVR Now Playing List. When I start a transfer I mark the time I started the transfer. (You can start watching the show as soon as it starts transferring if you like, but for the purposes of "ideal" conditions I did not do that in this experiment). You don't have to babysit the Tivo to mark exactly when the blue light switches off and the transfer completes. Just come back at a later time after transfer completes and in NPL select the show that was transferred and go into Program Details and look at "This recording will be kept at least until .... hh:mm" The time shown here is when the transfer completed, so by knowing start time and end time you have # MINS transfer took (+/- 1 MIN accuracy). Info gives you the size in GB (decimal) and so then you can calculate transfer rate. As sfhub pointed out bkdtv posted a summary of how to do it already in this thread.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #324
Clusty

So I transferred The Office - Fun Run just now. Looks exactly like HD!(to my eye)

I'm not sure if this is against the rules, but is there any way to compress MPEG2 files? If this is against the rules, please delete this part.
Clusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #325
moyekj

Hopefully bkdtv will be putting together an excellent FAQ for TTG/MRV/TTCB specifically for S3/THD units and it can be made a sticky in this forum and he can include all this good information about computing transfer rates and techniques for optimizing transfers, etc. bkdtv, your efforts in putting together these FAQs are much appreciated!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #326
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusty
So I transferred The Office - Fun Run just now. Looks exactly like HD!(to my eye)

I'm not sure if this is against the rules, but is there any way to compress MPEG2 files? If this is against the rules, please delete this part.
If you want to cut out commercials, VideoRedo is probably the best tool to do that. If you haven't tried VideoRedo, you can download a 14-day free trial at www.videoredo.net.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-24-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #327
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusty
If you transferred a copy of a recording from an HD channel, it is HD, and should be more or less the MPEG that you recorded from the air or your cable system.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #328
TokyoShoe
Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Well I've got two windows Vista machines. One wired network, another one wireless network.

The wired one can transfer a 1 hour HD show in about 30 minutes. The Wireless one tells me it's going to take 19 hours to transfer the same 1 hour HD show? Hmm, time to tweak some network settings!
TokyoShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #329
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe
Well I've got two windows Vista machines. One wired network, another one wireless network.

The wired one can transfer a 1 hour HD show in about 30 minutes. The Wireless one tells me it's going to take 19 hours to transfer the same 1 hour HD show? Hmm, time to tweak some network settings!
Why? Wireless will never compete with wired.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #330
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe

I have a very fast gigabit network and it still takes my Vista box several hours to download an 8GB hour long HD program from my Tivo HD (which is a cabled 100Mb connection).