TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
capitolm94

S3 9.1 HDMI rebooting/no video issue

Hello,

I have had my S3 for a few months now, I am using OTA only. Works great, or perhaps i should say worked great. Since the 9.1 update, there is an occasional problem where the tivo does not output any video at all, and does not respond to remote commands. The front display clock is still correct.

After attempting to fire up the system, if no video shows, the tivo will reboot itself after a minute or two. Pretty annoying, and this did not happen in the past.

My system is all HDMI, it goes tivo -> onkyo 605 avr -> samsung 4095 tv. I think its related to HDMI, since the reboots are triggered when it tries to set up the HDCP handshaking stuff when I turn on the system. Any ideas on how to fix this? Could it be a cable issue?

Thanks.
capitolm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolm94
Hello,

I have had my S3 for a few months now, I am using OTA only. Works great, or perhaps i should say worked great. Since the 9.1 update, there is an occasional problem where the tivo does not output any video at all, and does not respond to remote commands. The front display clock is still correct.

After attempting to fire up the system, if no video shows, the tivo will reboot itself after a minute or two. Pretty annoying, and this did not happen in the past.

My system is all HDMI, it goes tivo -> onkyo 605 avr -> samsung 4095 tv. I think its related to HDMI, since the reboots are triggered when it tries to set up the HDCP handshaking stuff when I turn on the system. Any ideas on how to fix this? Could it be a cable issue?

Thanks.
I think most people throw an optical cable to their AVR.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
capitolm94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
I think most people throw an optical cable to their AVR.
Should that matter? I will try it, I had it set up that way with my old reciever, but wont the tivo still be sending the audio over HDMI?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
legendarybc
SDV is FUBAR'ed

Quote:
Should that matter? I will try it, I had it set up that way with my old reciever, but wont the tivo still be sending the audio over HDMI?
Yes, the audio will still be sent to the AVR. Adding an optical cable will do nothing for your handshaking issues. Try running the HDMI cable from the S3 to the Samsung for a few days. See if the issue goes away.

BC
legendarybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
colin1497

Maybe unrelated, but I had a fan failing (making noise), and I replaced it with one I had laying around and the unit would boot part way and then become unresponsive with no HDMI output, clock on the front was on, I think. I switched the fan back and it would boot normally.

I decided it was either EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the replacement fan or the fan was drawing too much current (250mA vs. 130mA).
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
capitolm94

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarybc
Yes, the audio will still be sent to the AVR. Adding an optical cable will do nothing for your handshaking issues. Try running the HDMI cable from the S3 to the Samsung for a few days. See if the issue goes away.

BC
This is a good suggestion indeed, and in fact I had it set up this way for some time. It worked fine, did not reboot unintentionally for months. Problem is, I got this new AVR about the same time that 9.1 came out, so I am not sure which is the culprit. Ill try this again. I dont really mind the handshaking prob, I can restart the TV, but the issue is that it reboots when this happens. As I am sure you all know, it takes a long time for the tivo to restart.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
smgord

Quote:
This is a good suggestion indeed, and in fact I had it set up this way for some time. It worked fine, did not reboot unintentionally for months. Problem is, I got this new AVR about the same time that 9.1 came out, so I am not sure which is the culprit. Ill try this again. I dont really mind the handshaking prob, I can restart the TV, but the issue is that it reboots when this happens. As I am sure you all know, it takes a long time for the tivo to restart.
Oops -- i just started a new thread about this same issue -- and I have an Onkyo 705. It's happened to me twice in two days ...
smgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
pagefault

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgord
Oops -- i just started a new thread about this same issue -- and I have an Onkyo 705. It's happened to me twice in two days ...
I am seeing similar behavior since the update, and I have a non-Onkyo receiver (my receiver is a Sony DG1000). I haven't noticed the Tivo rebooting itself, but I power cycled the unit after I couldn't get any video out. It might have rebooted itself if I hadn't done that.
pagefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
c3
TiVoholic

Same problem here. Once last weekend and once tonight. Never encountered this before 9.1.

S3 -> Monoprice HDMI switch -> TV
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
smgord

I don't know if this will make any difference, but I'm going to make a point of turning on the TV before the receiver, to see if this helps. At avsforum.com, someone posted that they couldn't get audio when playing a CD through their DVD player (which was hooked up to a receiver via HDMI) unless the TV was on. Once the audio came through, she could turn the TV off. So, it appears the TV is necessary for the handshake.

One minor quibble -- if I turn the TV off, I cease to get any audio through the Tivo, so I'm not sure why that trick worked for them. Haven't tried it with a CD/DVD though.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
capitolm94

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
I am seeing similar behavior since the update, and I have a non-Onkyo receiver (my receiver is a Sony DG1000). I haven't noticed the Tivo rebooting itself, but I power cycled the unit after I couldn't get any video out. It might have rebooted itself if I hadn't done that.
The first time it happened I power cycled it manually as well. Later times, I just waited a bit thinking it was an HDCP problem, then the tivo rebooted. Weird behaviour. Does everyone experiencing this have some type of HDMI device btw. the tivo and TV?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
phronimos
Work Avoider

Quote:
The first time it happened I power cycled it manually as well. Later times, I just waited a bit thinking it was an HDCP problem, then the tivo rebooted. Weird behaviour. Does everyone experiencing this have some type of HDMI device btw. the tivo and TV?
This happened to me just last night (no video from S3 upon powering on my TV and a/v receiver, followed by reboot). I've had 9.1 for about a week.

My setup is S3 --HDMI--> Sony Receiver --HDMI--> Sony TV
phronimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
MadTxn

So, I'm having the same issue. My setup is S3-->Denon AVR-->Hitachi TV. I set my TiVo to standby (with my Harmony remote) every time I turn it off or switch to another input. Is there possibly a certain order I should have stuff turn on? Like TV then AVR then TiVo? Or TiVo, AVR, TV? Or... you get my point.
MadTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phronimos
This happened to me just last night (no video from S3 upon powering on my TV and a/v receiver, followed by reboot). I've had 9.1 for about a week.

My setup is S3 --HDMI--> Sony Receiver --HDMI--> Sony TV
No, what I meant was:

S3 to Television via HDMI.
and
S3 to Receiver via Optical.

Everyone here seems to have problems with passing the HDMI through a receiver.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTxn
So, I'm having the same issue. My setup is S3-->Denon AVR-->Hitachi TV. I set my TiVo to standby (with my Harmony remote) every time I turn it off or switch to another input. Is there possibly a certain order I should have stuff turn on? Like TV then AVR then TiVo? Or TiVo, AVR, TV? Or... you get my point.
In a perfect world, the order shouldn't matter. To minimize the problem, TiVo should be the last one on. I don't know if the order can be controlled by Harmony.

I had another reboot yesterday. Then I bought a couple of component cables (which I really don't like) and got rid of the HDMI connections. Don't want to lose recordings when I try to use the TiVo.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Chris8204

Similar problem with Tivo HD

I have had this problem for a while with my Tivo HD running version 8.3. I have an Onkyo receiver and if I plug my Tivo into it with an HDMI cable it will lock up and freeze and reboot itself several times per day. If I plug the HDMI directly into my Samsung TV I have no problems whatsoever. I would just recommend anyone wanting to use HDMI either plug into the TV or just use component cables.
Chris8204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8204
I have had this problem for a while with my Tivo HD running version 8.3.
There shouldn't be any version 8.3 for the HD. HD went from 8.1.x to 9.1. I never had any reboot issue with 8.3 for my S3. Sounds like this bug was picked up from the HD code.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #18
smgord

Since I last posted, I have consistently turned the TV on before turning the receiver on, and I have not had the issue recur. (I knocked on wood before I typed that.)
Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
No, what I meant was:

S3 to Television via HDMI.
and
S3 to Receiver via Optical.

Everyone here seems to have problems with passing the HDMI through a receiver.
Nope, I'm having the issue. HDMI straight to my Westinghouse, optical to the stereo.

Very annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #20
capitolm94

I have not seen this issue yet with 9.2, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #21
njspeed

I too have had this issue for a while now and my Tivo is direct HDMI to my Sammy 50" DLP. I didn't notice it until I did the kickstart 82 and started using an eSATA drive for more space. I thought it was related to that, but guessing I have the same issue as the rest.

Although in 9 or so out of 10 lockups it happens when the Tivo happens to be recording 2 shows.
njspeed is offline   Reply With Quote