TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
gdh

TIVO will not change DTV receiver to display new HD channels

My Tivo Series 2 displays DTV's HD channels (albeit not in HD) when the channels are changed at the DTV receiver. Even though the HD channels are shown in the Tivo program guide, when an HD channel is selected in the Tivo program guide, Tivo changes the channel to SD channel. The result is that we can only see a letterbox version of the show intead of a full screen version unless we manually change the channel at the DTV receiver. This affects a host of networks, including CNN, ESPN, FOOD, USA, SCFI, TNT, TBS, FX, A&E, NGC, TLC, APL, etc.

The problem appears to be that Tivo is not sending the correct signal to the DTV receiver to cause the receiver to change to the HD version of these networks. The problem appears to stem from the fact that DTV has given the HD and SD versions of the networks the same or similar channel numbers and Tivo is not smart enough to distinguish between the two, even though they show up as separate channels in the Tivo program guide. For example, both the DTV and the Tivo program guides show two entries for channel 202, CNN and CNN HD. If I select CNN HD in the DTV program guide, Tivo displays CNN HD (in full screen, just not in HD). But, regardless of whether I select CNN or CNN HD in the Tivo program guide, I get the standard letterbox version of CNN, not full screen CNN HD. If I disable CNN in the Tivo channel list set up so that only CNN HD appears in the Tivo program guide, Tivo still changes the channel to CNN, not CNN HD.

I get the same result with FOOD and FOOD HD even though they have diferent channel numbers in the DTV program guide. FOOD is 229 and FOOD HD is 229-1 in that guide. TIVO's program guide shows both FOOD and FOOD HD as channel 229, and always changes the channel to FOOD, even if I select FOOD HD. The programming on FOOD HD is not the same as that on FOOD, so it is easy to tell that only FOOD is being displayed.

Tivo customer support initially said that the problem was that my Series 2 could not display HD content, but that clearly is incorrect since it displays HD content just fine when the HD channel is selected at the DTV receiver. When I explained why that conclusion was incorrect, customer support then blamed the problem on bad data coming from Tribune Company, which provides Tivo with the data it uses to construct its program guide, and said that they would notify Tribune Company. That diagnosis is not entirely persuasive because the Tivo program guide plainly shows a choice of two channels, one in SD and one in HD. The problem appears to be that Tivo is not communicating the correct channel to the DTV receiver when it sends the signal to the receiver to change the channel.

If anyone has a solution for how to cause Tivo to change the channel to the HD version of a network, I would appreciate your sharing it. If you do not have a solution, but have a better diagnosis of the problem, that would be appreciated, too. Finally, I would be grateful for suggestions regarding how to get Tivo to address this problem.
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
buddhawood

I have the same problem when I have the same channel available on SAT and cable. The Tivo will always choose the lower number even if the season pass was for the higher channel. The solution? You need to uncheck the SD channels in the Tivo guide and only have the HD channels checked. This SHOULD solve the problem.
buddhawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
gdh

Would that it be so easy a fix. Disabling the SD versions of the channels in channel set up so that only the HD versions are shown in the program guide was one of the first things I tried. Tivo still mistakenly directed the DTV receiver to display the SD version of the channels.
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
JimSpence
Just hangin'

There is a known problem with the H20 HD receiver in that it defaults to the SD version for those channels that have both SD and HD.

See this thread.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=104352