TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #61
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner View Post
tivo:/var/tmp$ bootpage -p /dev/hda
root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 BASH_ENV=`mount$IFS-n$IFS/dev/hda16 $IFS/mnt;echo$IFS/mnt/runmonte`
Your script looks within that file for a string "version 2.4.20-TiVo". However, the kernel I obtained from that CD only had the string "version 2.4.20"
I've fixed the script to account for both of these issues and updated the OP. If BASH_ENV is found in your bootpage the script will exit immediately. I also removed the "TiVo" part of the kernel string check, and can't seem to find why I put that in there to begin with. Thanks sooner.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #62
sooner

bootpage question. If I do a 'bootpage -p /dev/hda' and I do not get "upgradesoftware=false" within the line that is returned, does that mean my TiVo will accept new software releases? How can one tell what upgradesoftware is set to?

I know my TiVo was not accepting (obviously) new software releases prior to using your upgrade script, Da Goon. So I assume that has not changed after using your script?

And if I ever decided to accept software updates, I assume I would have to issue a "bootpage -P ....... upgradesoftware=true" command. In other words, if you issue a "bootpage -P ...." command without including the upgradesoftware parameter then no change is made to upgradesoftware, correct? I sure hope my questions make sense - afterall, its after 2AM and my mind is mush!
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #63
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

You need to have the upgradesoftware variable set to false somewhere. Most put it in bootpage, before you probably had something like "export upgradesoftware=false" in rc.sysinit. You can type 'env' to see your environment variables or 'echo $upgradesoftware' to see if it's currently set to false. I'd recommend to stick it in your bootpage just to be sure.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #64
sooner

Yes, but that is what is strange to me - echo $upgradesoftware returns nothing. When I do a list of the env, there is no upgradesoftware variable set.

And there is no "export upgradesoftware" in rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author. It doesn't exist anywhere. I know I was not allowing software upgrades before. I'm not sure how I was though. And if it doesn't exist as an environment variable and its not set in rc.sysinit - then does that mean it is neither true or false? Bottom-line - will my software update automatically?

I have read on DDB that at least one "guru" there prefers it being set as a bootpage parameter and as you suggested Da Goon. The suggestion is to do something like the following:
"bootpage -p /dev/hda". Take what is echoed back and insert it into:

bootpage -P "{echoed back info} upgradesoftware=false"

is there another /dev/hda or something like that required at the end of the command?
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #65
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner View Post
Yes, but that is what is strange to me - echo $upgradesoftware returns nothing. When I do a list of the env, there is no upgradesoftware variable set.
That means it's not set anywhere. It was probably in rc.sysinit before, and since there are considerable differences with the 4.x rc.sysinit and 9.1 version, we didn't copy it over.
Quote:
Bottom-line - will my software update automatically?
Yep.
Code:
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hdaX dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda
Will take care of it. Just make sure to change X to 4 or 7 as needed. 'dsscon' will give you serial output messages and 'console' will set terminal speed to 115200 baud. In the future, when installSw.itcl runs, it should update your bootpage simply by switching the root values between 4 and 7, and will leave the rest of the statement in tact.

Last edited by Da Goon : 03-17-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #66
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

6.4a?

Any update necessary to the script to upgrade to 6.4a?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #67
temp357

i used the script to upgrade to 6.4 and it worked fine for the most part. It did not copy the backported drivers and I have no networking after the upgrade. I still have lockups on some channels that have low signal quality.

I expect to pull the drive over this next week and see if zipper works with it.

Last edited by temp357 : 06-16-2008 at 11:54 AM.
temp357 is offline   Reply With Quote