TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #2941
ctcraig

Keep current config

Is it possible to replace the drive using WinMFS with the same size drive and keep the external ESATA and existing Tivo data (CC Pairing, season passes and soon)

thanks
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
No, but you can use the same backup and restore instructions. You may need a different screwdriver, and you'll need a EIDE->SATA adapter like this one to use a newer SATA drive in your Series2. Aside from that, the instructions are the same. You can use any drive up to 1TB.

The WinMFS program mentioned in the first post works with Series2 too.

Any of the drives recommended in the FAQ are fine. Just be aware that you (a) can't upgrade to a new drive until you unmarry the eSATA drive, and (b) the "plug and play" external drive expansion no longer works if you upgrade the internal drive.

I would recommend one of Western Digital or Seagate 1TB drives mentioned in the first post. If you really want something bigger, you might consider the 1.5TB Seagate ST31500541AS. This low-power, low-noise drive just began shipping, so it's too new to be included in the first post. Note only 1.35TB of the 1.5TB would be usable on your Series3 (1.26TB usable in TivoHD).

ctcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #2942
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcraig View Post
Is it possible to replace the drive using WinMFS with the same size drive and keep the external ESATA and existing Tivo data (CC Pairing, season passes and soon)

thanks
Chuck
Boot up with a Linux CD and use "dd" to make an exact copy of the internal drive. However, since your drive is already clicking, preserving the data may be very difficult.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #2943
joelkfla

Question Will deleting speed up transfer?

Early Series 3 with original drive:

I have a replacement 1TB internal drive and 2 USB-SATA adaptor kits on the way, after my MyDVRExpander failed, and now increasing pixellation on the factory internal drive.

Question, please: Will deleting some shows speed up the WinMFS copy? And if so, do I need to permanently delete them a day early (i.e., does TiVo need time to run some cleanup routines?) Or does WinMFS copy every block regardless?

Thanks,
joelk
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #2944
ctcraig

Thanks, I'll run with it

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Boot up with a Linux CD and use "dd" to make an exact copy of the internal drive. However, since your drive is already clicking, preserving the data may be very difficult.

ctcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #2945
Karmavore

Big Grin WD15EADS drive working in S3!

Just a note here that the FAQ might need an update on drive selection.

I've successfully installed a WD15EADS 1.5TB drive in my early-model S3 and I am NOT experiencing the soft reboot issue. It works great! And I'm not the only one.

See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=426305 if you'd like to follow up with me on this.
Karmavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #2946
Wetsprocket625
TiVo Newb

About a month ago I upgraded my TivoHD with a WD6400AAKS. 640 gig Caviar Blue. After fighting freezes, lockups, reboots and the like went back to the original drive.

Is there any good diagnostics or low level format I could run that might let me know if this drive is any good or better prepare it for going back into the DVR? Or should I just throw it into an external enclosure and get a Caviar Black at some point to upgrade my Tivo again?
Wetsprocket625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #2947
peterado

AAM removed in latest Hitachi feature tool

I noticed that the latest version -- V2.13 removed acoustic management

hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Features in Version 2.13

* Removed the function of acoustic management.

Google tells me V2.11 is readily available.

I wonder why? More patent issues?
peterado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #2948
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmavore View Post
Just a note here that the FAQ might need an update on drive selection.

I've successfully installed a WD15EADS 1.5TB drive in my early-model S3 and I am NOT experiencing the soft reboot issue. It works great! And I'm not the only one.
Others have tried and experienced the "soft reboot" with the WD15EADS on the TiVo Series3. It sounds like the WD15EADS is similar to the WD10EADS, where some revisions work and others do not.

It's difficult to recommend a model when only some revisions work [without the soft reboot issue] and there is no way to guarantee what revision you get when you place an order.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-01-2009 at 02:34 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #2949
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsprocket625 View Post
About a month ago I upgraded my TivoHD with a WD6400AAKS. 640 gig Caviar Blue. After fighting freezes, lockups, reboots and the like went back to the original drive.

Is there any good diagnostics or low level format I could run that might let me know if this drive is any good or better prepare it for going back into the DVR?
You can try the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, although this program will not always find errors that are present. Generally, it won't find errors unless your drive is in really bad shape.

Quote:
Or should I just throw it into an external enclosure and get a Caviar Black at some point to upgrade my Tivo again?
Some desktop drives will overheat, or cause the TiVo to overheat, therefore causing instability.

I would suggest you stick with the drives recommended in Section V of the first post. These drives are known to work in the TiVo without issue.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #2950
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

According to Section 11 in the FAQ, the WD10EVCS is factory configured for low noise out of the box.

1) Does this mean that AAM is set to a value of 128 on this drive?
2) Will the AAM utility allow me to check the value without changing it?

I also noticed that the latest version of the Hitachi Feature Tool Disk has removed support for adjusting the AAM setting. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #2951
RWitkowski

Quote:
Disclaimer: TiVo had no involvement with this FAQ.

The most popular drives for a 1TB internal upgrade are the (link removed)Western Digital WD10EVCS and WD10EVVS (PDF). Both of these drives are specifically marketed for DVRs and come preconfigured for quiet operation out-of-the-box.
This link takes you to the WD site But is lists the WD10evds, and not the WD 10evcs.
It looks to me that it is a newer drive with a larger buffer (32mb).
Anyone use this drive yet?
RWitkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #2952
JimZipCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
I just ordered the 1TB My DVR Expander from unistorage.com, for $172.19. It seems to be out of stock almost everywhere else, but they have it there.
Correction.

A week later I called and asked them for an update on the status of my order. The customer service person put me on hold a few times – and then asked if she could call me back! She eventually did call me back, almost an hour and a half later; not on the phone number I asked her to use, but on the phone number associated with the order. And she told me the item was backordered.

That's especially annoying because I originally placed the order by phone, and the person taking the order assured me they were in stock. Oh well.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #2953
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
According to Section 11 in the FAQ, the WD10EVCS is factory configured for low noise out of the box.

1) Does this mean that AAM is set to a value of 128 on this drive?
Yes, both the WD10EVCS and WD10EVVS come preconfigured with an AAM of 128. The same is true of all drives in the "WD AV-GP" line.

Quote:
2) Will the AAM utility allow me to check the value without changing it?
Yes, you can check it with v1.11 or earlier.

Quote:
I also noticed that the latest version of the Hitachi Feature Tool Disk has removed support for adjusting the AAM setting. Does anyone know why this is?
The ability to adjust AAM was removed from the latest version of Hitachi Feature Tool, as you note. I updated the first post with direct links to the last version with AAM support.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #2954
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWitkowski View Post
This link takes you to the WD site But is lists the WD10evds, and not the WD 10evcs.
It looks to me that it is a newer drive with a larger buffer (32mb).
Anyone use this drive yet?
The WD10EVCS is no longer in production, although it is still widely available. The WD10EVVS is the same drive with 8MB cache, and it is still in production. You can see it listed here.

As you note, Western Digital also announced new 1TB (WD10EVDS) and 2TB (WD20EVDS) AV-GP drives with 32MB cache. This extra cache may be useful for other CE applications, but it does produce any noticeable benefit for a DVR like the TiVo. These drives are not yet available.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-03-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #2955
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Yes, both the WD10EVCS and WD10EVVS come preconfigured with an AAM of 128. The same is true of all drives in the "WD AV-GP" line.
Thanks!

Quote:
Yes, you can check it with v1.11 or earlier.

The ability to adjust AAM was removed from the latest version of Hitachi Feature Tool, as you note. I updated the first post with direct links to the last version with AAM support.
While I realize that it's not necessary to check the setting, I wanted to experiment anyway... Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check the AAM setting because I am using a laptop, and I can't get the utility to work with the SATA to USB adapter. Any ideas as to how I can get the Hitachi software to work in my situation? I currently don't have access to a desktop PC.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #2956
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check the AAM setting because I am using a laptop, and I can't get the utility to work with the SATA to USB adapter. Any ideas as to how I can get the Hitachi software to work in my situation? I currently don't have access to a desktop PC.
The utility uses an old DOS style operating system. USB is middle 90s technology that ancient DOS does not understand natively. There were some experimental attempts to add USB support after the fact. If you wanted, you could get one of those versions of DOS, boot with that disk, then put the Hitachi Feature Tool disk in and run the utility and see if it works. Alternately, you could get any live (self-bootable) Linux disk such as Knoppix Live or MFS Live, boot up, and run the hdparm command.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #2957
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Is there any good diagnostics or low level format I could run that might let me know if this drive is any good or better prepare it for going back into the DVR? Or should I just throw it into an external enclosure and get a Caviar Black at some point to upgrade my Tivo again?
Caviar Black is too hot, too noisy and too expensive. Stick with the recommended ones from the first FAQ post.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #2958
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
...A week later I called and asked them for an update on the status of my order. The customer service person put me on hold a few times – and then asked if she could call me back! She eventually did call me back, almost an hour and a half later; not on the phone number I asked her to use, but on the phone number associated with the order. And she told me the item was backordered.

That's especially annoying because I originally placed the order by phone, and the person taking the order assured me they were in stock. Oh well.
It looks like you are lucky they even answered the phone.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #2959
goldenmonkey

So I was following the steps for the drive upgrade, and after i connected the two drives, windows wasn't recognizing them, so instead of just going into WinMFS like I should have, my dumbass went into diskmgmt.svc and initialized the drives!

I did NOT format either drive, and I did not even assign the TiVo drive a drive letter or anything. But I did right click and hit 'initalize'. Now winMFS says it is not a TiVo drive. I'm not sure if it's possible to get my information off of it either, as I'm afriad to mount the drive for fear it'll force me to format it, or worse...

I have not tried the drive back in the tivo, yet i assume it will not work.

Any advice?!
goldenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #2960
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmonkey View Post
So I was following the steps for the drive upgrade, and after i connected the two drives, windows wasn't recognizing them, so instead of just going into WinMFS like I should have, my dumbass went into diskmgmt.svc and initialized the drives!
Old habits die hard, I suppose? I updated the first post with a warning, so others follow the instructions as written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmonkey View Post
I did NOT format either drive, and I did not even assign the TiVo drive a drive letter or anything. But I did right click and hit 'initalize'. Now winMFS says it is not a TiVo drive. I'm not sure if it's possible to get my information off of it either, as I'm afriad to mount the drive for fear it'll force me to format it, or worse...
These are Linux drives so you never want to initialize them in Disk Administrator, as that will destroy the Linux bootpage.

You still may still able to fix the TiVo drive with WinMFS. Connect only the TiVo drive and run WinMFS administrator. Ub WinMFS, select the drive and then select Tools -> Fix Bootpage -> Option 1. If that doesn't work, try Fix Bootpage -> Option 2. If neither option allows WinMFS to recognize the drive as a TiVo drive, then you'll need to obtain another copy of the TiVo software, or use DVRUpgrade's InstantCake Restore CD).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #2961
goldenmonkey

Quote:
Old habits die hard, I suppose? I updated the first post with a warning, so others follow the instructions as written.

These are Linux drives so you never want to initialize them in Disk Administrator, as that will destroy the Linux bootpage.

You still may still able to fix the TiVo drive with WinMFS. Connect only the TiVo drive and run WinMFS administrator. Ub WinMFS, select the drive and then select Tools -> Fix Bootpage -> Option 1. If that doesn't work, try Fix Bootpage -> Option 2. If neither option allows WinMFS to recognize the drive as a TiVo drive, then you'll need to obtain another copy of the TiVo software, or use DVRUpgrade's InstantCake Restore CD).
that worked! i had posted this in the upgrade forum too (wasn't sure which was more appropriate) and got the answer.

the option 1 worked just fine, i was THIS close to buying instantcake restore too.

and yeah, even though i knew to follow the instructions as written, when i saw the drive not recognized i thought "i need to fix that" and tried to take matters in my own hand. the second i clicked initialize i thought "crap... i bet winMFS would have been able to recognize it, i probably shouldn't have done that"

glad i didn't go any further.
goldenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #2962
andy_hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Alternately, you could get any live (self-bootable) Linux disk such as Knoppix Live or MFS Live, boot up, and run the hdparm command.
This won't work. The 'hdparm' command doesn't work over a USB-> SATA adapter. If anyone does know of a good way to quiet a SATA drive without a SATA connection in their computer, I'd like to hear it.
andy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #2963
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_hd View Post
This won't work. The 'hdparm' command doesn't work over a USB-> SATA adapter.
I stand corrected then. My comment was based on this post but now upon rereading, it is not clear if the poster was using a USB enclosure or a USB->SATA adapter as I had assumed to access the drive. Without further corroboration from other USB->SATA users, I withdraw my comment.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #2964
DixonAgee

1.5 TB WD15EADS Drive - Is It New?

I was browsing the Western Digital website and found a link to a Product Overview .pdf brochure for the AV-GP drives. In the brochure it lists a WD15EADS 1.5TB drive. The brochure is dated May 2009. Is such a drive available? The link is on the westerndigital.com with the additional path of /en/library/ce/2879-701250.pdf (Sorry, I don't have enough posts to show full URL by itself). It seems that it might be useful for some upgrades were the limit is 1.35 GB ... but is the drive actually available?

I'm thinking of putting an internal drive upgrade in my Series 3.

- DixonAgee
DixonAgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #2965
richsadams

Welcome to the forum...and the Internet? Google's search engine is a wonderful invention. So is the one on the forum!

WD WD15EADS for about $135.

You should be aware however that others that have had mixed experiences with that drive in the Series3. Some have experienced a soft reboot issue (wherein TiVo will not reboot via a menu restart or automatically after a software upgrade). So it is not a recommended drive for the Series3.

A list of recommended hard drives can be found in the first post of this thread.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #2966
newskilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post
I was browsing the Western Digital website and found a link to a Product Overview .pdf brochure for the AV-GP drives. In the brochure it lists a WD15EADS 1.5TB drive. The brochure is dated May 2009. Is such a drive available? The link is on the westerndigital.com with the additional path of /en/library/ce/2879-701250.pdf (Sorry, I don't have enough posts to show full URL by itself). It seems that it might be useful for some upgrades were the limit is 1.35 GB ... but is the drive actually available?

I'm thinking of putting an internal drive upgrade in my Series 3.

- DixonAgee
To answer your question about drive availability:
Google Results for WD15EADS

Looks Like I was beat to it. At least I can vouch for Newegg, I've ordered from them multiple times with no problems. Very reputable online retailer in my opinion.
TiVo HD #1/ Lifetime
TiVo HD #2/$6.95-monthly
Humax S2 T800/5yrs old - Dead HHD; Got HD for price of good HHD
newskilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #2967
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post
As noted above, the WD15EADS isn't listed in the first post because some revisions of that drive are reportedly incompatible with the older TiVo Series3 DVR. Some revisions of the EADS line exhibit the "soft reboot" issue when installed in a Series3; this means that the TiVo will not boot correctly after a software update or a restart through the menus; with these drives installed, the TiVo will only reboot correctly after you pull the plug. There's no way to guarantee that you get a compatible revision of an EADS drive when you buy one.

You can take your chances on the WD15EADS and hope you get a compatible revision. Another option would be the just-released Seagate ST31500541AS. Or you could just pick one of the drives in the first post which are known to work reliably in both the TivoHD and TiVo Series3.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #2968
Onions2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Do you have any tips on how to preserve it? iknow you said it may be difficult!
Onions2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #2969
DixonAgee

Thanks to all who responded about the WD15EADS. I'll take your advice to heart.

Regards

DixonAgee
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #2970
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions2009 View Post
Do you have any tips on how to preserve it? iknow you said it may be difficult!
A clicking hard drive means it's in a very bad shape, worse than just having a few bad sectors. If the problem is localized in some non-critical sectors, dd may still work if it can continue after the bad sectors. dd_rescue may help with the copying speed.

I have heard people trying to recover the data by freezing the drive first or running the drive in a refrigerator. No personal experience.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote