TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #2911
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Good news According to my installer, and the person on the phone that activated the cards, they do pair them. I think they may have confused ACTIVATED with PAIRING.

If anyone knows the answer, I am still curious as to where the pairing information appears in the diagnostic screens of the TiVo.
The pairing information is displayed on the "CableCard Pairing" screen under the CableCard menus. The TiVo displays the pairing information but it is up to the cable company whether to use/require it. The TiVo has no idea whether your cable company uses the pairing information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I'm still curious about FiOS and paring: Does anyone know if there are any copy protected (not just encrypted) channels on FiOS? If so, what channel and station is it?
There are no copy protected channels. Ssssh.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #2912
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The pairing information is displayed on the "CableCard Pairing" screen under the CableCard menus. The TiVo displays the pairing information but it is up to the cable company whether to use/require it. The TiVo has no idea whether your cable company uses the pairing information.
Ah!

Quote:
There are no copy protected channels. Ssssh.

So the only real world tests are to: Pull the card from the S3, and put it in my TV. If it works then, it it's safe to say there is no pairing ... OR ... tune in a copy protected channel on the S3 (which should not display properly if the cards aren't paired). Correct?

Any idea what the value "eCM MAC:" is on the CableCARD Pairing menu? Mine has a value of "-.-.-.-". Is this normal?

BTW, I completely missed the CableCARD Pairing screen I used to have SA CableCARDs, and this screen menu item wasn't available. The Motorola cards seem to give up more info than the SA cards do
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #2913
bicker
Gruff

I was led to think that the danger was that the service provider that relies on pairing information would detect a mispairing and there would be no way to "go back" without the service provider resetting the by-then-wiped data in their records. (I didn't believe that, btw.)

I'm still unclear why the pairing would be to data on the hard drive, instead of something that all devices are likely to have, like a network address.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #2914
svesce

Shazam!

A quick note of thanks for all the great info and insight on this thread. With only a few minor hiccups (all my fault -- note to self -- remember to run WinMFS as admin or your drives would show up!), was able to upgrade our Tivo HD to 1 TB drive and finally we are able to enjoy the box as I originally envisioned.

Really appreciate the great guidance -- especially to Rich for the helpful tips and encouragement.

Thanks gents!

svesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #2915
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it seemed too easy! No second trys, no having to double-check parameters, just set it & go.
That's about it.

Quote:
As for your merging the 250G & 750G drives on the 1.5T, I'll note that in case I do something similar in the future.
The current tools do not work if the drives were married by the Tivo internal automatic expansion tool. You might wish to bear that in mind.

Quote:
You didn't find a way to use all 1.5T, did you? I've got a 1.5T Seagate (upgraded firmware) that I'd love to use in the HD, but my understanding is only 1.26 TB of it is addressable (I still may do it anyways & live with the lost space).
Not programmatically, no. There are a couple of manual methods, but none of them is for the neophyte.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 AM   #2916
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I was led to think that the danger was that the service provider that relies on pairing information would detect a mispairing
On a one-way host (like the TiVo), there is no way for a service provider to detect anything at all. It's possible the service provider might have to send a hit to the TiVo to remarry the host and CableCard(s), requiring you to call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I'm still unclear why the pairing would be to data on the hard drive, instead of something that all devices are likely to have, like a network address.
UDCPs like the TiVo do not have network addresses. I'm unsure what you mean otherwise. The only semi-permanent storage medium the TiVo has is the hard drive. Any information - such as an encryption key - is stored on the hard drive.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #2917
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
On a one-way host (like the TiVo), there is no way for a service provider to detect anything at all. It's possible the service provider might have to send a hit to the TiVo to remarry the host and CableCard(s), requiring you to call them.
I had to do have one of my S3 boxes paired after upgrading the hard drive (Cablevision). None of the copy protected shows would tune in until they sent a hit.

Quote:
UDCPs like the TiVo do not have network addresses. I'm unsure what you mean otherwise. The only semi-permanent storage medium the TiVo has is the hard drive. Any information - such as an encryption key - is stored on the hard drive.
Maybe he is referring to the MAC address.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #2918
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

My series 3 is rebooting fairly often starting last weekend. The only thing I did was move an external expansion unit and when I did the drive started to make noise like the internal fan was failing. It stopped but then the unit started rebooting. It's an Antec unit with a WD drive inside and worked great for the last two months.

So, here is the question. I have ordered a new case to try and see if the fans are dead and overheating. Can I turn off the unit and move the drive to the new case without a problem? Since the pairing info is related to the drive, the Tivo shouldn't see that the external housing is new, right?

If this doesn't work, I have to assume the external drive is dying or the internal one ( again... sigh ) can anyone direct me to a page which shows the steps to run the drive diagnostics which is how I had to prove it to Tivo the last time?
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #2919
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLikeTivo View Post
My series 3 is rebooting fairly often starting last weekend. The only thing I did was move an external expansion unit and when I did the drive started to make noise like the internal fan was failing. It stopped but then the unit started rebooting. It's an Antec unit with a WD drive inside and worked great for the last two months.

So, here is the question. I have ordered a new case to try and see if the fans are dead and overheating. Can I turn off the unit and move the drive to the new case without a problem? Since the pairing info is related to the drive, the Tivo shouldn't see that the external housing is new, right?

If this doesn't work, I have to assume the external drive is dying or the internal one ( again... sigh ) can anyone direct me to a page which shows the steps to run the drive diagnostics which is how I had to prove it to Tivo the last time?
Sorry to hear about your frustration. It sounds more like a cable/connection issue if it happened when you moved your external drive. I'm sure you did, but double-check the connections on both ends to see that they're snug...reversing the cable helps sometimes.

Even if the fan quit in the MX-1 case, it shouldn't affect the drive itself other than it may get warm, but even then the drive can get quite hot w/o any issues. (Long-term it's best to keep the temps down of course.)

If reseating the cable doesn't work I'd unplug TiVo, unplug the MX-1, pop it open and have a look around. (You can run the fan w/o the HDD to see if it's still working.) Be sure all of the connections are tight.

All of that said, if you want to run some of TiVo's built-in diagnostics check the Kickstart post here. There are various repair options and KS54 runs a diagnostic. None are fool-proof though. About the only real way to determine if a drive is failing is to connect it to a computer and run a full diagnostic like WD's Lifeguard.

It's possible that moving it and the problem are coincidental (unless you dropped the drive on a concrete floor or something ) but it's more likely that something's come loose somewhere.

Hopefully you can get it resolved and not lose your recordings. Best of luck and let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #2920
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Thanks, I did check all the connection just in case I shook something loose. Good idea to check the internals, I'll do that as well.

If all else fails, I will kickstart diagnostic the drives and see if they say they are OK. I appreciate the help, I'll post results one way or another.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #2921
delgadobb

Quote:
The current tools do not work if the drives were married by the Tivo internal automatic expansion tool. You might wish to bear that in mind.
Thanks for the heads-up - at any rate, I'll probably stick to single-drive upgrades for simplicity's sake.

Quote:
(Re: 1.5 TB upgrade) Not programmatically, no. There are a couple of manual methods, but none of them is for the neophyte.
Hypothetically, if I wanted to dive in & educate myself, is this documented anywhere convenient? Would I have to go back in time to my days of command-line UNIX? It would be great to access all 1.5 TB of the Seagate, but if it's too complicated I may settle for 1.26 TB.
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #2922
bkdtv

Quote:
Hypothetically, if I wanted to dive in & educate myself, is this documented anywhere convenient? Would I have to go back in time to my days of command-line UNIX? It would be great to access all 1.5 TB of the Seagate, but if it's too complicated I may settle for 1.26 TB.
Using more than 1.26TB requires that you replace a ROM chip soldiered onto the motherboard.

It's not a matter of simply running some command in Unix.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #2923
delgadobb

Quote:
Using more than 1.26TB requires that you replace a ROM chip soldiered onto the motherboard.

Ah, OK, a little more than I was hoping.

Does this mean the people I've heard talking about using a Tivo HD XL image as a basis for upgrading their HD are in dreamland? (i.e. Use the HD XL image to backup/restore with, say, a 1.5 TB or 2.0 TB drive on a Tivo HD)

Thanks for the reply, we'll be sticking with Plan 'A'. 1.26TB it is.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #2924
bkdtv

Quote:
Does this mean the people I've heard talking about using a Tivo HD XL image as a basis for upgrading their HD are in dreamland? (i.e. Use the HD XL image to backup/restore with, say, a 1.5 TB or 2.0 TB drive on a Tivo HD)
You only need a PROM mod if you want to expand a specific TiVo image by more than 1.1TB (1.0TiB).

You don't need a PROM mod to run a TivoHD XL image on a TivoHD. That's the easiest way to support up to 2.1TB internal on a TivoHD. The TivoHD XL image is already setup for 1.0TB and you can expand that by 1.1TB with WinMFS.

Someone else said that a TiVo will not download and install software updates if you use a TivoHD XL image on a TivoHD. I do not know whether that is true. If someone else knows, please post.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #2925
delgadobb

Big Grin

Quote:
You only need a PROM mod if you want to expand a specific TiVo image by more than 1.1TB (1.0TiB).

You don't need a PROM mod to run a TivoHD XL image on a TivoHD. That's the easiest way to support up to 2.1TB internal on a TivoHD. The TivoHD XL image is already setup for 1.0TB and you can expand that by 1.1TB with WinMFS.

Someone else said that a TiVo will not download and install software updates if you use a TivoHD XL image on a TivoHD. I do not know whether that is true. If someone else knows, please post.
Seeing as I have several Tivo HDs to upgrade, I'd be happy to be the guinea pig if I can find a TivoHD XL image. I can report back here & hopefully give something back to the group. Any suggestions for where to go for this? "Buy a Tivo HD XL" is not an acceptable answer , as I already have the Tivo HDs.

I'll go peek in the MFSLive forums & see what I can find in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Last edited by delgadobb : 05-21-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #2926
lrhorer

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up - at any rate, I'll probably stick to single-drive upgrades for simplicity's sake.
Absolutely. It's your nickel, after all. Indeed, two of my three subscribed Tivos only have one drive. I moved the primary drive to an external enclosure on my THD, in order to make drive access easier, but both it and the S3 in my living room only have one drive.

Quote:
Hypothetically, if I wanted to dive in & educate myself, is this documented anywhere convenient?
Not to my knowledge, but there are a couple of wikis out there covering TiVo upgrades. One of them might have the info. If not, someone on the "Other TiVo Forum" is likely to be able to help.

Quote:
Would I have to go back in time to my days of command-line UNIX?
Command line Linux is a given, at this point in time. Low-level tools for Windows are non-existent, and even Linux GUI utilities are far from sufficiently capable.

Quote:
It would be great to access all 1.5 TB of the Seagate, but if it's too complicated I may settle for 1.26 TB.
Spike, Jamie, et al are working on the issue. It hasn't seen much progress at this point. It's possible WinMFS may have a solution before too long, or if not perhaps MFS_Live. To a certain extent, the developers are waiting to see if TiVo fixes a small "bug". It's a 4 line fix which would allow partitions greater than 1T. Barring that the 3rd party tools will have to be fixed to allow them to handle more partitions properly.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-21-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #2927
lrhorer

Quote:

That's true at the moment, because the sticking point right now is a small bug in the Linux kernel used by the S3 and the THD. It's a simple fix, but the user can only implement it on a hacked TiVo, because a custom kernel won't run on a stock Tivo. If Tivo updates the kernel, then they will also update the chain of trust, so the new kernel can run on a stock TiVo. Only Tivo knows how to update the chain of trust in the kernel.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #2928
alvinswim

Just wanted to let everyone know that the WD1001FALS works just fine in a S3
alvinswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #2929
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinswim View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that the WD1001FALS works just fine in a S3
Welcome to the forum and thanks for that. IIRC another member (Rocko?) is using one of these. I'm curious about the acoustics and temps though. The specs show seek mode to be as high as 33DbBA which is much louder than the WD GP drive's 24dBA or so. Reviews have also said that they run quite hot. Just wondering if you can let us know what TiVo reports the temperature to be under normal use.

TIA for the follow up.

Last edited by richsadams : 05-22-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Typo...d'oh!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #2930
alvinswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum and thanks for that. IIRC another member (Rocko?) is using one of these. I'm curious about the acoustics and temps though. The specs show seek mode to be as high as 33DbBA which is much louder than the WD GP drive's 24dBA or so. Reviews have also said that they run quite hot. Just wondering if you can let us know what TiVo reports the temperature to be under normal use.

TIA for the follow up.

Well I can't say too much about the noise that it makes, I live in downtown manhattan, so its always loud outside so I don't really notice any sound in my house unless its really loud heh, it does make the tivo vibrate a little more, but its negligible.

about the temp, the internal registers at 48C (Normal) I would expect the Drive to run a little warm and while I was cloning it from the EADS I had before (I got the FALS cause the EADS had soft-reboot issues) it was warmer.. but if i were to compare with the original 250Gb drive that came with the tivo, its definitely cooler, and quieter.

hope that helps
alvinswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #2931
delgadobb

If it helps at all, my Hitachi 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache recently installed in my Tivo HD registers at 45C (Normal); what's considered a normal range of temps?

Next will be the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD102UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache just ordered from NewEgg for $67.49 (!) after promo discount. I was going to post about it here, but they sold out almost immediately. Once I get the Spinpoint installed, I'll report on how well it seems to work as well as operating temps.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #2932
bkdtv

In an enclosed cabinet, my TivoHD reports 41-42C with the 1TB WD10EVCS.

Of course, temperature will vary depending on ambient room temperature and ventilation.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2933
JimZipCode

Arrow

This thread is awesome.

I just ordered the 1TB My DVR Expander from unistorage.com, for $172.19. It seems to be out of stock almost everywhere else, but they have it there.
unistorage.com/unistorage/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.dspSpecs&part=3397482
$15 shipping for 3-7 business day delivery.

Question: the Western Digital part # they list is
WDG1S10000VN
That's not precisely the same part # as listed in the FAQ, it has that extra "V" at the second-to-last character. Is this going to work? Did I order the wrong thing?

Thanks,

Jim
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #2934
tannett
Long time reader....

Well, for those of you that followed my attempt to merge two drives that had been paired by the TiVo plug n play into one larger drive, I'm back to report that I wasn't able to make it happen.

I finally dumped about 30 hours of shows onto my computer, pulled the expander, let TiVo adjust to not having it and then used WinMFS to copy all my settings to the 1TB drive and then pulled the shows I wanted to save back onto it.

Everything went smooth after I gave up on saving everything and now both my Series 3 and THD are both running 1 TB WD10EVCS drives.
tannett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #2935
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
This FAQ describes the options and methods to increase the TiVo's storage capacity. The contents were compiled from member posts to this forum.

This FAQ is divided into four sections: (I) Summary of Expansion Options, (II) Introduction, (III) Officially Supported External Drives, (IV) Unsupported External Drives, and (V) Internal Drive Upgrades. This FAQ is a work in progress; if there is a question you feel should be added, or there is an answer that should be expanded or clarified, please post.
I have an idea to help navigate your excellent FAQ for this topic.
Would it be possible to add hyperlinks to each of the Topic Titles?

So if I need info on (V) Internal Drive Upgrades, I could click on the Title/Hyperlink in the first paragraph and be taken to the section below.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #2936
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post
I have an idea to help navigate your excellent FAQ for this topic.
Would it be possible to add hyperlinks to each of the Topic Titles?

So if I need info on (V) Internal Drive Upgrades, I could click on the Title/Hyperlink in the first paragraph and be taken to the section below.
Many have requested this. I use it on various other boards (example).

Unfortunately, forum administration at TCF has ignored multiple requests by myself and others to add this feature. At the moment, there is no way to link within a post at TCF. It's really unfortunate, because this is a great feature and it would take less than 15 minutes to add.

Please consider voicing your support for this feature here.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #2937
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Please consider voicing your support for this feature here.
I added my support for this.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #2938
ctcraig

DYing S3 HD

I've got the clicking sound of HD death going on with my S3. II was thinking of using MFSLive and a new dive to backup my dying HD and then replace ith with the new drive. I've got a 750gb external ESATA drive. What is the recommended internal replacement drive for this kind of situation.

Thanks so much!

Chuck
ctcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #2939
granpoh

Is there a similar thread as this one for Tivo series 2?
granpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #2940
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpoh View Post
Is there a similar thread as this one for Tivo series 2?
No, but you can use the same backup and restore instructions. You may need a different screwdriver, and you'll need a EIDE->SATA adapter like this one to use a newer SATA drive in your Series2. Aside from that, the instructions are the same. You can use any drive up to 1TB.

The WinMFS program mentioned in the first post works with Series2 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcraig View Post
I've got the clicking sound of HD death going on with my S3. II was thinking of using MFSLive and a new dive to backup my dying HD and then replace ith with the new drive. I've got a 750gb external ESATA drive. What is the recommended internal replacement drive for this kind of situation.
Any of the drives recommended in the FAQ are fine. Just be aware that you (a) can't upgrade to a new drive until you unmarry the eSATA drive, and (b) the "plug and play" external drive expansion no longer works if you upgrade the internal drive.

I would recommend one of Western Digital or Seagate 1TB drives mentioned in the first post. If you really want something bigger, you might consider the 1.5TB Seagate ST31500541AS. This low-power, low-noise drive just began shipping, so it's too new to be included in the first post. Note only 1.35TB of the 1.5TB would be usable on your Series3 (1.26TB usable in TivoHD).