TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #2821
rmackay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22
Quick question. From what I have read, if you add an eSata hard drive and then remove it, all or most of your current recordings can be lost.

Consider this scenario.

1. Unmod'd Series 3 has about 30 HD shows recorded, nearly capacity.
2. An external eSata drive is successfully added.
3. 3 or 4 new shows recorded.
4. External eSata drive removed.

Would I lose the 30 original HD shows that were on the internal drive or would they still be there?
rmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #2822
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
Would I lose the 30 original HD shows that were on the internal drive or would they still be there?
You only lose the recordings made since the drive was added. You do not lose any of your original recordings.

Be sure to see the FAQ in the first post, if you haven't already.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #2823
rmackay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22
Thanks for the info. The reason that I asked was that after adding the eSata drive, things were working normally for about an hour and then the tivo would reboot itself for no apparent reason. Cables were all secure, etc.

I am running the kickstart57 routine now to see if that helps. If not, I'll have to abandon the eSata external drive idea for now.

-- kickstart57 -- Should that actually report any info or just reboot and continue? How do I know if it actually worked or helped?

Apparently neither ks57 or ks58 made a difference as the tivo continued to intermittently reboot itself until I removed the external drive. I guess I'll have to go with the only "supported" option.

Last edited by rmackay : 04-29-2009 at 05:24 PM.
rmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #2824
HDRyder9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 128
Does a second back up work?

Perhaps this issue has already been addressed but I canít find it. So, Iíll ask anyway. I have an early Tivo HD which was upgraded to a 500GB internal hard drive. Itís working perfectly. Iíd like to upgrade the internal hard drive again to 1TB this time. Can I back up from the 500GB drive and restore to the 1TB drive with WinMFS? Iíd prefer not to loose any recordings and my season passes. I can back up from the original 160GB drive if I have to since I saved it.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #2825
HazelW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: No. Va
Posts: 223
Do I have this right?

My system is starting to freeze and reboot. So its probably time to upgrade. I have a TiVo HD original drive and a DVR Expander. If I read the FAQ correctly I should do the following to preserve my settings, season passes, but not my recordings.

Buy a WD10EVCS or EVVS. Divorce my DVR Expander by disconnecting it and telling the TiVo I no longer want to use it. Use the internal drive to upgrade to the new drive.

Is there any way to save my recorded programs? I think the FAQ says "no" if using an original drive.

Is there any chance the corruption on my system (if there is any) will affect the transfer? I also have instant cake so I could use that but I would lose the season passes and perhaps the cable card pairing.

And will the DVR expander work with the new upgraded drive? (I think the answer is no and I probably won't use it anyway.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #2826
phantomsax
I break things
 
phantomsax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12
Just an update (not that anyone really cares) but I decided to use the 1GB drive I originally was going to use as an eSATA drive as the internal drive on my week old Tivo HD. I must admit, it was hard cracking the case and potentially voiding the warranty on something that is less than a week old, but the instructions in this thread were spot on, and major thanks to whoever wrote WinMFS. As simple as the program and UI may be, it did exactly what I needed it to do, it was easy, and it did it right the first time. I can't help reading the info screen and grinning when I see 157 hours of HD.
phantomsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #2827
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsax View Post
Just an update (not that anyone really cares) but I decided to use the 1GB drive I originally was going to use as an eSATA drive as the internal drive on my week old Tivo HD. I must admit, it was hard cracking the case and potentially voiding the warranty on something that is less than a week old, but the instructions in this thread were spot on, and major thanks to whoever wrote WinMFS. As simple as the program and UI may be, it did exactly what I needed it to do, it was easy, and it did it right the first time. I can't help reading the info screen and grinning when I see 157 hours of HD.
Hey...we all care! Congrats and welcome to the club.

BTW, if something should go wrong you should be able to slip the OEM HDD back in TiVo and exchange it. Although TiVo can tell by their logs that you've upgraded the drive, IIRC only one member has said that they refused to replace his sighting that as an issue. Of course you would be wise not to mention that you've been busy making things better (at least from your perspective). Bottom line is that the number one fail point in TiVo's is the hard drive so you'll probably be able to keep it running for many, many years to come.

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #2828
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
My system is starting to freeze and reboot. So its probably time to upgrade. I have a TiVo HD original drive and a DVR Expander. If I read the FAQ correctly I should do the following to preserve my settings, season passes, but not my recordings.

Buy a WD10EVCS or EVVS. Divorce my DVR Expander by disconnecting it and telling the TiVo I no longer want to use it. Use the internal drive to upgrade to the new drive.

Is there any way to save my recorded programs? I think the FAQ says "no" if using an original drive.

Is there any chance the corruption on my system (if there is any) will affect the transfer? I also have instant cake so I could use that but I would lose the season passes and perhaps the cable card pairing.

And will the DVR expander work with the new upgraded drive? (I think the answer is no and I probably won't use it anyway.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sorry to hear things aren't going well. The good news is that it's probably something you can fix by replacing the hard drive. To answer your questions...

Yes, if you use winMFS and follow the instructions you can use your existing hard drive to image a new drive. It will preserve your SP's, cable cards, etc. but since you have an eSATA drive, none of the recordings made since the expansion drive was attached. One option is to transfer your (non copy-protected) recordings to your computer via TiVo Desktop and then back to the new drive later.

Odds are that the OS partitions are good and imaging a new drive will be fine. However if a problem continues to exist you can use Instant Cake to image the new drive. You are correct, if you use IC your SP's, etc. would be lost and you would need your cable company to re-pair your cable cards.

You can continue to use your eSATA drive (providing that it's working okay) by following the steps to marry it to your new drive while using winMFS. It's only a few additional clicks.

All of that said, do you know which drive is causing the problem(s)? It may be something as simple as a loose or failing eSATA drive cable. If that's not it you might try running a couple of TiVo's diagnostic programs called Kickstarts to see if they can repair (KS57 or KS58) any hard drive issues or at least tell you which drive is problematic (KS54). Once you transfer your recordings or are okay with losing them, you could simply divorce your eSATA drive to see if TiVo operates normally. (Power TiVo down, disconnect the eSATA drive, power TiVo up and follow the screen instructions). If it runs okay, then you'd just need to replace the eSATA drive. If not, then you know the internal drive needs replacing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #2829
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Perhaps this issue has already been addressed but I can’t find it. So, I’ll ask anyway. I have an early Tivo HD which was upgraded to a 500GB internal hard drive. It’s working perfectly. I’d like to upgrade the internal hard drive again to 1TB this time. Can I back up from the 500GB drive and restore to the 1TB drive with WinMFS? I’d prefer not to loose any recordings and my season passes. I can back up from the original 160GB drive if I have to since I saved it.
You should be able to use your 500GB drive to image a new 1TB drive following the steps in the first post. Not sure if you want to save your recordings but that should work as well. If all else fails you could certainly use your original drive to image a new one.

I replaced the original/upgraded 1TB drive I had in our Series3 with a new 1TB and used the upgraded drive to image the new one and it worked fine. Not exactly the same thing but AFAIK, using your upgraded drive shouldn't be a problem.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2830
HazelW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: No. Va
Posts: 223
Rich,

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will try the kickstarts. It has only happened twice over 3 days that I know of, so maybe I nick it in the bud.

Do I need to divorce the drives before upgrading or can I just take out the internal drive as is and use it to upgrade?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #2831
microbubba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
My system is starting to freeze and reboot. So its probably time to upgrade. I have a TiVo HD original drive and a DVR Expander. If I read the FAQ correctly I should do the following to preserve my settings, season passes, but not my recordings.

Buy a WD10EVCS or EVVS. Divorce my DVR Expander by disconnecting it and telling the TiVo I no longer want to use it. Use the internal drive to upgrade to the new drive.

Is there any way to save my recorded programs? I think the FAQ says "no" if using an original drive.

Is there any chance the corruption on my system (if there is any) will affect the transfer? I also have instant cake so I could use that but I would lose the season passes and perhaps the cable card pairing.

And will the DVR expander work with the new upgraded drive? (I think the answer is no and I probably won't use it anyway.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Same boat. S3 + DVR Expander. We divorced the Expander last weekend to prep for the WD10EVCS transplant. Things happened and I couldn't find the time, so we've been running stock for a week now, with no problems on the HD, pixellation, GSOD, stutter, etc. I haven't tested the Expander drive but wouldn't be surprised if it passed everything, just barely 1+ yr old.

Looks like a rainy weekend will prevent outdoor activity so the surgery is back on the schedule.
microbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #2832
greg_burns
Now in HD
 
greg_burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slower Lower Delaware
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Do I need to divorce the drives before upgrading or can I just take out the internal drive as is and use it to upgrade?
Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade your internal with an external still married. Have to divorce it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
[*] I have an external drive connected. Can I still upgrade the built-in hard drive?

You cannot upgrade the built-in hard drive while it is "married" to an external drive. You must "unmarry" the external drive before you can proceed with a drive upgrade. To do that, power on the TiVo without the external drive connected and follow the on-screen instructions.

Be aware that "unmarrying" the external drive will cause you to lose all recordings made since it was added. Before you disconnect your external hard drive and lose those recordings, you may want to download those (without copy protection) to your computer using TiVo Desktop or iTiVo. Once the drive upgrade is complete, you can send those recordings back to the TiVo.


Last edited by greg_burns : 04-30-2009 at 06:48 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 AM   #2833
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsax View Post
Just an update (not that anyone really cares) but I decided to use the 1GB drive I originally was going to use as an eSATA drive as the internal drive on my week old Tivo HD.
Um, I think you mean TB, not GB. I haven't seen a drive smaller than 30GB in ages.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #2834
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 9,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade your internal with an external still married. Have to divorce it first.
I assume that you mean only in the case where you're making your own, internal drive. If you bought a preformatted internal drive, I assume that you don't need to unmarry your existing drives, and that indeed, you can swap back to the married internal-and-eSATA combo if you need to.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #2835
greg_burns
Now in HD
 
greg_burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slower Lower Delaware
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I assume that you mean only in the case where you're making your own, internal drive. If you bought a preformatted internal drive, I assume that you don't need to unmarry your existing drives, and that indeed, you can swap back to the married internal-and-eSATA combo if you need to.
No I don't think that's right. Say you have the original drive and an external. You then purchase a preformatted larger internal drive from DVRUpgrade, Weeknees, etc. As soon as you boot with the external attached it will not recognize the external at all. If it is an Original S3 it will ask you if you want to use it (thus loosing all recordings on it). If it is a TivoHD you will have to use WinMFS to marry the new preformatted drive to your external (Even if it is the approved WD DVR Expander*). This will also loose all recordings on it.

*Can someone confirm that?
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #2836
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 9,144
Uh... okay, but that's not what I was saying...

Drive A = original TiVo internal
Drive B = TiVo eSATA
Drive C = replacement TiVo internal from Weaknees, DVR Upgrade, etc.

So you start with Drive A + Drive B married.

You don't have to do anything other than shut down, disconnect Drive B, replace Drive A with Drive C, and reboot. (Notice... Drive B is not connected.)

Then, later, you theoretically can shut down, disconnect Drive C, replace Drive C with Drive A, reconnect Drive B, and reboot.

Right?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #2837
greg_burns
Now in HD
 
greg_burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slower Lower Delaware
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Uh... okay, but that's not what I was saying...

Drive A = original TiVo internal
Drive B = TiVo eSATA
Drive C = replacement TiVo internal from Weaknees, DVR Upgrade, etc.

So you start with Drive A + Drive B married.

You don't have to do anything other than shut down, disconnect Drive B, replace Drive A with Drive C, and reboot. (Notice... Drive B is not connected.)

Then, later, you theoretically can shut down, disconnect Drive C, replace Drive C with Drive A, reconnect Drive B, and reboot.

Right?
Yeah, that will be ok.

So you are going to shelve both your original and your external in favor on just a single large internal. Gotcha!
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #2838
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 9,144
It's really just paranoia. I'm worried that Comcast won't re-pair without a truck roll. So if that is the case, I'll have to "roll back" to my old combo.

I'm upgrading solely because of the flakiness with the eSATA. We lost 2-5 recordings per week -- they're basically "(partial)" and for a good portion if not the entire recording, there is loads of blockiness -- it basically looks like the playback is skipping, but it is identical after rewind, so the problem is during recording. And it has been happening ever since I added the eSATA, goes away when I take the eSATA away, and TiVo knows about the problem (see separate thread) but have only had minor success in getting rid of it.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #2839
greg_burns
Now in HD
 
greg_burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slower Lower Delaware
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
It's really just paranoia. I'm worried that Comcast won't re-pair without a truck roll. So if that is the case, I'll have to "roll back" to my old combo.

I'm upgrading solely because of the flakiness with the eSATA. We lost 2-5 recordings per week -- they're basically "(partial)" and for a good portion if not the entire recording, there is loads of blockiness -- it basically looks like the playback is skipping, but it is identical after rewind, so the problem is during recording. And it has been happening ever since I added the eSATA, goes away when I take the eSATA away, and TiVo knows about the problem (see separate thread) but have only had minor success in getting rid of it.
Oh wait. I thought you were more asking about keeping your recordings on your eSata drive. When you are really more concerned about loosing your CC pairing. Hmm...

I am not sure, but I fear if you put in a new drive drive that doesn't have the pairing info, your CC will need a truck roll (obviously). If you then, try and put back in the original drive (that had the pairing info), it may be too late. The cards may have been "reset". In my mind, this is like pulling a CC and sticking it in another device (like a TV), then trying to put it back in your Tivo. The act of putting in another device makes it reset. Right? Or maybe no...

I truely don't know and can't say for sure what exactly will happen.

I know you paid extra to have a preformatted drive. But I would seriously consider using WinMFS anways on the new drive when it arrives. That way no fear about the pairing info being lost.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #2840
phantomsax
I break things
 
phantomsax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12
So here is a good one for you:

Since I upgraded the drive on my Tivo HD to a 1TB, I am still getting newly recorded programs coming up with the yellow icon in the Now Playing List, and the "This recording will be kept until at least tomorrow/tonight at xx:xx am/pm" when I go into the info. It does this on all programs unless I setup the Season Passes to "Save Until I Delete".

Now the kicker is I only have 7 hours of HD content and 1 1/2 hours of SD content recorded right now, so even if I recorded 2 programs in HD constantly for the next 3 days straight, I still wouldn't be quite out of space. So how am I already out space?!?!?! I should have 148+ hours of HD recording space available by my math, and when I go into the system info it is showing me 156 hours of HD recording total. It has been doing this since it had the original drive in it but I just figured it was because the stock drive was so small.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is the Tivo just stupid when it comes to calculating the free space? Am I really at risk of losing programs if I don't mark them as Save Until I Delete?
phantomsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #2841
phantomsax
I break things
 
phantomsax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Um, I think you mean TB, not GB. I haven't seen a drive smaller than 30GB in ages.
Oops. Hehehe. I don't even have a flash drive that small anymore. Long day of work followed up with tearing into my Tivo in the evening. Thank you for pointing out I am dumb.
phantomsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #2842
Dssturbo1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsax View Post
So here is a good one for you:

Since I upgraded the drive on my Tivo HD to a 1TB, I am still getting newly recorded programs coming up with the yellow icon in the Now Playing List, and the "This recording will be kept until at least tomorrow/tonight at xx:xx am/pm" when I go into the info. It does this on all programs unless I setup the Season Passes to "Save Until I Delete".

Now the kicker is I only have 7 hours of HD content and 1 1/2 hours of SD content recorded right now, so even if I recorded 2 programs in HD constantly for the next 3 days straight, I still wouldn't be quite out of space. So how am I already out space?!?!?! I should have 148+ hours of HD recording space available by my math, and when I go into the system info it is showing me 156 hours of HD recording total. It has been doing this since it had the original drive in it but I just figured it was because the stock drive was so small.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is the Tivo just stupid when it comes to calculating the free space? Am I really at risk of losing programs if I don't mark them as Save Until I Delete?
just normal operation. after 2 days it will put up the yellow dot icon and give that reminder info unless you change it to save until i delete.

no you will not lose it. even if it goes to the deleted folder, your Tivo will not delete it until it actually needs the space to record something and there is no free space or you decide to premanently delete it your self manually. so it could sit there with the yellpw dot or in your recently deleted folder for a long long time until your hard drive is filled up.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #2843
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
just normal operation. after 2 days it will put up the yellow dot icon and give that reminder info unless you change it to save until i delete.

no you will not lose it. even if it goes to the deleted folder, your Tivo will not delete it until it actually needs the space to record something and there is no free space or you decide to premanently delete it your self manually. so it could sit there with the yellpw dot or in your recently deleted folder for a long long time until your hard drive is filled up.
yeah...what he said...it's normal. Easiest way to alleviate your paranoia is to KUID all your shows.
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #2844
greg_burns
Now in HD
 
greg_burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slower Lower Delaware
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
yeah...what he said...it's normal. Easiest way to alleviate your paranoia is to KUID all your shows.
Would not recommend doing that. If you do it will stop recordings things long before it is anywhere near out of space. I am not good at explaining the whys of that, but I will try and dig up some threads that do.

Read this kind of thing many times here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I imagine there's a good chance you are using a lot of KUID SPs. You really don't want to do that. KUID is meant to be used for the absolutely highest priority shows, and the TiVo scheduling algorithm doesn't want to take even the smallest chance you won't be able to record them.

The message means at some point in the next 12 days, you will run out of space unless you manually delete shows. It doesn't want to trust that you will do that, so it takes action now.

KUID should basically never be used for SP unless the shows are important enough so you will keep them forever. The TiVo will never delete any of the "Until Space Needed" shows unless it runs out of space (I've kept some for 4+ years). Running out of space shouldn't be an issue in your case, so there's no reason for KUID.

greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #2845
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsax View Post
Is anyone else having this problem? Is the Tivo just stupid when it comes to calculating the free space? Am I really at risk of losing programs if I don't mark them as Save Until I Delete?
I think it's time to read the TivoHD FAQ.

From II. Introduction, FAQ #24 in the first post to this thread.

Quote:
Why do recordings still show the yellow exclamation point with the message, "This recording may be deleted to make room for other programs" when only half my space is used?

The TiVo always displays the yellow exclamation point (!) 24 hours after the "keep until" time expires. That does not mean your recording will be deleted soon. The yellow ball with the exclamation point only means that it is no longer protected, and can be deleted once it is the oldest recording on the DVR and space is needed for a new recording.

The TiVo will never delete anything unless space is needed for a new recording scheduled by the user. When space is needed for a new recording, the TiVo will first clear the Recently Deleted and Suggestions folders. Once the the Recently Deleted and Suggestions folders are empty, the TiVo will delete the oldest recording on the DVR that isn't marked as "keep until I delete."

When space is needed for a new recording, programs are deleted in the following order:
  1. Recently Deleted folder - cleared starting with oldest program first; nothing else is deleted until this folder is clear;
  2. Suggestions folder -- cleared starting with oldest program first; nothing else is deleted until this folder is clear;
  3. The oldest show on the DVR that is not marked as "keep until [date]" or "keep until I delete."
If the oldest recording on the DVR is one that you would like to save, select it and mark it as "keep until I delete." The TiVo will then skip that recording and delete the next oldest instead.


Last edited by bkdtv : 05-01-2009 at 11:59 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #2846
phantomsax
I break things
 
phantomsax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12
Well, to reiterate what I said before, that is just plain dumb IMO. My girlfriend (non-technical by any standard) has been marking everything in our older Series 2 (we refer to that as 'her' Tivo, which keeps the peace in our home) as KUID for years because the yellow dot, yellow dot with exclamation point, and the warning saying it is going to only keep it until today/tomorrow..., all have led her to believe it was going to actually delete it. Why say it is going to delete something when it isn't? It even had me fooled and I have a degree in computer engineering and minored in human factors so I don't think it is an intelligence issue.

To quote Dr. Seuss: “I meant what I said and I said what I meant.”

I will let it go despite the ominous warnings and we will see what happens. I will however mark anything NOT on Hulu as KUID just in case it does zap anything. We go through it pretty regularly so it shouldn't be an issue. If I have 157 hours on my Tivo call the police because it most likely means I died.
phantomsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #2847
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 9,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
I know you paid extra to have a preformatted drive. But I would seriously consider using WinMFS anways on the new drive when it arrives. That way no fear about the pairing info being lost.
Okay, my wife read over the instructions, and her opinion matches yours -- yes we paid extra for the preformatted drive but saving the hassle of dealing with losing the CableCARD pairing information is worth the bother associated with using the WinMFS approach. (I thought about returning the drive, but between the restocking fee, and the hassle, and the fact that buying the preformatted drive when I didn't need it was mostly "my fault", we're probably going to just go ahead and do as you suggest, Greg. However, I'm going to do it, first, with a spare 500 GB drive I have sitting around. I wouldn't stick with that drive, in the long-run, because it isn't DVR rated, but I'd feel better doing a dry-run with WinMFS before running it on the preformatted drive.

Last edited by bicker : 05-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #2848
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 9,144
Okay this is bad. On the restore, I get "Error writing media inode 1".

Now what?

I read the support messages on the WinMFS forum and it is worse than Greek to me.

My original plan seems much better, now.

Last edited by bicker : 05-02-2009 at 11:50 AM.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #2849
greg_burns
Now in HD
 
greg_burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slower Lower Delaware
Posts: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Okay this is bad. On the restore, I get "Error writing media inode 1".

Now what?

I read the support messages on the WinMFS forum and it is worse than Greek to me.

My original plan seems much better, now.
Glad to hear you tested on the 500GB to start.

From what I see on WinMFS support that it probably did not make a good backup. Probably because the original drive is having a problem. (Or the 500GB?)

http://www.mfslive.com/forums/viewto...d82011798f9a8b
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #2850
bicker
Gruff
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 9,144
Okay, but I don't see how to go forward from there. It talks about using MFSCopy, but that requires a system where I can connect three SATA drives (the Windows OS, the original TiVo drive, and the new TiVo drive). I don't have one of those.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoģ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |