Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #2791
Yuterald

I have Comcrap...I mean Comcast.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #2792
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuterald View Post
I have Comcrap...I mean Comcast.
That's what we have right now. I'm looking forward to more and uncompressed HD!

BTW, here's a related blog about copy protection.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #2793
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Okay, my plan is that if the CSR doesn't understand the idea of me reading the pairing information to the tech, then I can call back and try a different CSR.

Seriously, does anyone know the right words to use with Comcast, with respect (specifically) to the title of the tech who I need to be put in contact with in order to do the repairing.
Don't say the word "hit" because that is when they resend the channel map. Try not to say re pair because they will think you are saying they need to be repaired physically LOL

The idea of calling back until you get the answer you want is dead on. If the person tries to schedule a truck roll just find a way to get off the phone and call back.

There was an article recently that showed Comcast as the leader in Cable Card self installation. Approximately 1/3 of the installs were done by the end user!

If it was me I'd make up a BS story about the cable cards working and then you unplugged the unit and when you plugged it back in all your channels were blank and it brought up a screen showing some type of ID numbers and that you should call the cable company,,, I think its the conditional access screen?
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #2794
Yuterald

You need to speak to someone who can send a signal from the 'header' and understand what that means. Last time Comcast was at my house they were going to send some techs back to learn from ME just how to get cards working. It's useless for someone to come out - it's all done at their main station.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #2795
bicker
Gruff

The sad bit is I actually had the direct-dial number of one of the guys who does it in our area. (I dialed the number for the tech who installed my CableCARDs -- his hands were busy). But we've since moved our whole house around and I have no idea where it is anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #2796
mchief
Morey

Installing ITB WD10. Complete MFS copy and when asked to expand drive 'yes' and Vista crashed mfs with the following 'gui tools to backup restore expand fix tivo hard drive has stopped working'

Restart mfs and tried tools>supersize>on and same error message. Not sure what happened. Guess I install 1TB drive and see what I have.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #2797
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It may say 'it has stopped working' or 'not responding', but its possible that the computer is using all of the CPU process to do the job and unable to update the application. If you can avoid closing the application and wait, check drive lights flickering or hard drive activity sounds, do not close. Close only if there are no lights/drive activity noises/ or when its quiet for a long while.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #2798
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Installing ITB WD10. Complete MFS copy and when asked to expand drive 'yes' and Vista crashed mfs with the following 'gui tools to backup restore expand fix tivo hard drive has stopped working'

Restart mfs and tried tools>supersize>on and same error message. Not sure what happened. Guess I install 1TB drive and see what I have.
Did you follow the instructions and disable your security / antivirus software prior to performing the backup? That can slow the Mfscopy from 30-40 minutes to 3-4 hours.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #2799
mchief
Morey

Time was not an issue (about 18 min). I started from scratch when TivoHD would not boot with new drive. This time everything worked as advertised. Except even though supersize said it was on, I only have 142 hours HD. More than enough, but I'm one of those crazed folks that must know why. So, I will pull the drive and supersize it again.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #2800
bkdtv

Quote:
Time was not an issue (about 18 min). I started from scratch when TivoHD would not boot with new drive. This time everything worked as advertised. Except even though supersize said it was on, I only have 142 hours HD. More than enough, but I'm one of those crazed folks that must know why. So, I will pull the drive and supersize it again.
After a Mfscopy, you can't just select Tools -> MfsSupersize to Supersize. There is an extra step -- you have to reselect the new drive -- as noted in the instructions.

This is a fairly common mistake.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #2801
bicker
Gruff

So I have the replacement hard drive and I think I'm going to hold off installing it until Summer, because I'm concerned about losing cable for a few days in case I cannot get Comcast to re-pair the CableCARDs correctly over the telephone. I figure even with using TTG/TTCB, worst case would have us losing recordings just made (not enough time to TTG them [because they were "just" made]) as well recordings planned for the night I do the replacement and the night after that (and of course perhaps longer).

What would mitigate this is if I can understand that if I have a problem with Comcast, I can just as readily reinstall the original primary drive and connect the eSATA drive, and be back to where I was before I did the replacement, i.e., with the CableCARDs paired properly. Is that a reasonable assumption? How much risk is there from swapping drives back and forth like that?

My main inspiration for doing this replacement was lost recordings (the "partial" recording problem) allegedly due to the eSATA drive. However, since reseating the eSATA connection over the weekend, we haven't lost a recording yet. So I think dusting was the culprit in the problems we've had over the last month. As such, with the danger of losing recordings gone, the push to do the replacement is pretty small, now.

Of course, if we lose another recording tonight, we'll be doing the replacement tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #2802
mchief
Morey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
After a Mfscopy, you can't just select Tools -> MfsSupersize to Supersize. There is an extra step -- you have to reselect the new drive -- as noted in the instructions.

This is a fairly common mistake.
I suspect that is exactly what I did. Thanks. When all else fails - read the instructions.

I will pull the drive and try again.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #2803
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
What would mitigate this is if I can understand that if I have a problem with Comcast, I can just as readily reinstall the original primary drive and connect the eSATA drive, and be back to where I was before I did the replacement, i.e., with the CableCARDs paired properly. Is that a reasonable assumption? How much risk is there from swapping drives back and forth like that?
That's what I'd do. Just power down TiVo, power down and disconnect the eSATA drive, set them both on the shelf, pop the new drive in and fire TiVo up. Run Guided Setup and then call the cable company and have them pair the cable cards. Run Guided Setup again and you should be in business.

If they can't or won't pair cable cards over the phone you can simply put the old drive back in, connect your eSATA drive fire it up, fire TiVo up and things will be back to square one.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #2804
microbubba

FedEx Delivered

1TB WD10EVCS is sitting on my desk. $106 at Amazon.

The plan is to eliminate the "Officially Supported" eSATA My DVR Expander subsystem, processor, I/O, cable, etc as the cause for pixellation, partials, and general HD content disarray.

Had enough.

The wife is a lurker. Honey, please watch or transfer your stuff. OK? Thanks.

"The only constant left in the universe is upgrades."
microbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #2805
mchief
Morey

Quote:
I suspect that is exactly what I did. Thanks. When all else fails - read the instructions.

I will pull the drive and try again.
Now at 157 just as advertised. Thanks all - actually a simple process if you read the damn directions. That's what happens to software development weenies, we forget how to read.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #2806
richsadams

Quote:
That's what happens to software development weenies, we forget how to read.
Read? Read what? What are you talking about? Kidding.

Congratulations and welcome to the club!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #2807
hummingbird_206

Moving into my new house this weekend, woo hoo! So how do I move my S3 and My DVR Expander so as not to lose the recordings? Is there a certain power off sequence and then power on sequence or am I just SOL?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #2808
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Moving into my new house this weekend, woo hoo! So how do I move my S3 and My DVR Expander so as not to lose the recordings? Is there a certain power off sequence and then power on sequence or am I just SOL?
I would go into the menu and tell it to restart. Right after the screen goes dark, pull the power on the Tivo. Then you can safely unplug the expander and disconnect.

Don't plug your Tivo in again without first reconnecting or you will get a message asking if you want to divorce the expander.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #2809
richsadams

Quote:
Easy to do. The "offical" TiVo guidelines are here.

Basically:

- Unplug TiVo
- Unplug your eSATA drive and disconnect from TiVo
- Move
- Plug your eSATA drive in and reconnect it to TiVo
- Plug TiVo in

That's it.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #2810
hummingbird_206

Thanks for the instructions. I knew this was the place to get help!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #2811
richsadams

WD 1TB My DVR Expander $168

New listing on Amazon still shows it's not available and there's nothing on TiVo's web site about it yet, but the Amazon price has already dropped to $167.70 w/free shipping on the new 1TB WD eSATA Drive. That's really not a bad deal for a turn-key/plug and pray option for folks looking for a fast way to increase their recording space on Series3, TiVo HD or HDXL boxes.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #2812
noads123

I followed the TiVo rules and got an approved WD 500 GB eSata last year. New rules: 1 TB. So how do I keep my movies and upgrade? Is there a daisy chain eSata cable and a TiVo on-screen process programmed yet (hint). . .
noads123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #2813
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by noads123 View Post
I followed the TiVo rules and got an approved WD 500 GB eSata last year. New rules: 1 TB. So how do I keep my movies and upgrade? Is there a daisy chain eSata cable and a TiVo on-screen process programmed yet (hint). . .
Per this thread at the moment you're SOL. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

If the recordings you want to keep aren't copy protected you can transfer them to your computer w/TiVo Desktop and then back again, but that's about it.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #2814
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
I would go into the menu and tell it to restart. Right after the screen goes dark, pull the power on the Tivo. Then you can safely unplug the expander and disconnect.

Don't plug your Tivo in again without first reconnecting or you will get a message asking if you want to divorce the expander.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Easy to do. The "offical" TiVo guidelines are here.

Basically:

- Unplug TiVo
- Unplug your eSATA drive and disconnect from TiVo
- Move
- Plug your eSATA drive in and reconnect it to TiVo
- Plug TiVo in

That's it.
I'm back up and running and all recordings still there, yippee! I have 6 eps of 24 and all season for Dollhouse that I haven't had time to view yet, so really glad those didn't disappear!

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #2815
richsadams

Quote:
I'm back up and running and all recordings still there, yippee! I have 6 eps of 24 and all season for Dollhouse that I haven't had time to view yet, so really glad those didn't disappear!

Thanks again for the help.
Excellent news! Enjoy your new digs!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #2816
phantomsax
I break things

So I just bought a Tivo HD last week and bought an Antec MX-1 and WD WD10EVCS to add 1TB of external storage. As a preface, I am a network admin by trade, so drives, cloning, etc. is nothing new to me.

What doesn't make sense to me is why I need to open the case, and clone the internal drive to the external drive to make it all work. If there is partitioning or other data that needs to be on the external drive, couldn't I just get an image online and apply it to the external drive from my computer instead of getting it from the internal drive?

I apologize if the answer is in an earlier post, but I tried searching but I didn't have the time to read all 2,815 posts in this thread.
phantomsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #2817
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsax View Post
So I just bought a Tivo HD last week and bought an Antec MX-1 and WD WD10EVCS to add 1TB of external storage. As a preface, I am a network admin by trade, so drives, cloning, etc. is nothing new to me.

What doesn't make sense to me is why I need to open the case, and clone the internal drive to the external drive to make it all work. If there is partitioning or other data that needs to be on the external drive, couldn't I just get an image online and apply it to the external drive from my computer instead of getting it from the internal drive?
Great question. First though, if you are going to open your TivoHD just make the internal drive the 1TB one and shelf the original 160GB as a backup. That's my .02 on it.

As far as the original question. I have no idea. Perhaps it is writing something to the internal drive identifying the external by its model #? Not sure.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #2818
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsax View Post

I apologize if the answer is in an earlier post, but I tried searching but I didn't have the time to read all 2,815 posts in this thread.
i agree with greg burns suggestion to just use the 1tb as the internal and keep the 160gb original as a backup.

with the Tivo HD or HD XL the issue is that they will only accept the 500Gb or new just released 1Tb My DVR expanders as Tivo officially supported plug and play external drives.

So when you want to use any other external drive you are not cloning the drives, you need to "marry" them so they are allowed to work together.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #2819
phantomsax
I break things

I am coming to agree with you guys as well and just use the MX-1 for something else and drop the 1TB drive internally. I am sure I can find another use for the MX-1. I was just hoping to find some way to make the eSATA drive work without having to open the Tivo up and use WinMFS.

I just hate to potentially nuke the warranty on something I haven't even had a full week yet. At least I can dust off my torx screwdrivers since I don't use them all that often.
phantomsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #2820
Dssturbo1

it's allowed on the S3 but Tivo got a little more proprietary with the HD and HD XL models.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote