TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #2731
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpattheratx View Post
Hi everyone! Sorry for my newbie-ness here. I bought a Fantom G-Force 500 GB external hard drive (GF500EU) and I took apart my Tivo .. did the whole marry MFS add thing put the tivo back together and now it gives me a green screen saying the DVR cannot recognize the drive.
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. I guess my first question/observation would be, why didn't you just get the approved WD My DVR Expander? I'm assuming it's because of the price, ($69.99 Vs $99.99). For $30 I guess I would have gone with the approved drive plugged it in and saved a lot of time and trouble...but that's just me. That wasn't too helpful though was it?

If you try booting up TiVo without the external drive connected and get the "unrecognized" error message it sounds like the OS data on the internal drive was corrupted. If that only happens when the external drive is connected, there's an issue with the external drive.

If it's the first case (won't boot up with or without the external drive connected) your best bet is to buy Instant Cake ($19.99) and re-image the internal hard drive.

If the external drive is the problem you should return it as defective and just get the approved WD My DVR Expander.

It's obvious that you're comfortable opening TiVo and connecting drives to a PC so if it were me I'd simply replace the internal hard drive in your TiVo and be done with it. The recommended 1TB Western Digital WD10EVCS can be found for about about $110 or less. If you follow the instructions in the first post of this thread you can use your original hard drive to image the new one and be back in business in no time. If your original internal hard drive is actually corrupted you'll still need to buy Instant Cake for a fresh image. Either way you'll have 1TB of recording space, one less fail point and basically a brand new TiVo.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #2732
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger23 View Post
When I trioed Kickstart 57 and 58, the red, green, amber lights did appear on casr front- then they immediately disppeared whe 57 entered. I take this as an indication that somethin on the hard drive is working. But whatever checkdisk function is going on never completes, and the cycle starts over (green light flickers every 5 minutes or so). SO maybe Desktop TiVo can read the disk. Tomorrow...
A successful KS57 will generate an mfs assert screen (also known as the GSOD). If you're not seeing that after KS57 it's likely that your hard drive is failing.

BTW, KS58 is transparent. Repairs are made and the unit will reboot. If/when it reboots things should be normal again. If not, the repairs were either beyond TiVo's capabilities or the hard drive is failing.

Did you try the Kickstart 54 hard drive diagnostic? It may or may not work. Again if not, it's probably time to replace the hard drive.

As ThAbtO mentions, if you can't get TiVo working properly, TiVo Desktop won't be able to transfer recordings to your PC.

Best of luck!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #2733
Yuterald

Amazon is taking pre-orders for the 1TB WD eSATA Drive @$183.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #2734
myklup

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post

Has TiVo confirmed the existence and compatibility of these units?
TiVo support has not confirmed their support of them - but the TiVo certified sticker is on the box and the drive itself. WD Knows they exist and support them.

There's a thread in the Series 3 forum with more info - but they do in fact work (at least on both of my Tivo HD's) as of a non-software-version upgrade made in the last week or so

I got mine from jr.com for $179.99 /free shipping
myklup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #2735
CaseyK24

Just finished internal 1TB upgrade

I first wanted to thank the board and bkdtv for the great step by step procedures that worked like a charm.

I have two quick questions - just for peace of mind really - everything worked great.

I installed a WD10EVCS with SuperSize on. The recording and playback quality should be no different then before correct? I'm just being super critical analyzing the picture after the install probably seeing small broadcast quality issues that were always there but never bothered to notice.

Also - while playing with the TivoHD with the new drive the first night I experienced a random soft reboot. It only happened once and I was recording two shows and transferring one while flipping back and forth between Playing List grouping settings. There is no know issue with soft reboots with the TivoHD and the WD10EVCS is there? One time does not make a pattern and I'm not too worried but couldn't find anything on the forum besides talk of an old S3 soft reboot issue with some other drives.

Thanks,
Casey
CaseyK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #2736
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post
I first wanted to thank the board and bkdtv for the great step by step procedures that worked like a charm.

I have two quick questions - just for peace of mind really - everything worked great.

I installed a WD10EVCS with SuperSize on. The recording and playback quality should be no different then before correct? I'm just being super critical analyzing the picture after the install probably seeing small broadcast quality issues that were always there but never bothered to notice.
Hi Casey and welcome to the 1TB Club! MFS Supersize simply frees up extra space reserved for storing tivoclips; the advertising videos that are downloaded. Having it on or off should have not have any effect on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post
There is no know issue with soft reboots with the TivoHD and the WD10EVCS is there?
Not AFAIK. There are no posts to that effect to date. You should be fine.

Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #2737
richsadams

TiVo HD Upgrade: $93.80

On sale (as of this posting) Western Digital WD10EADS for $93.80 including shipping.

As noted in the first post of this sticky, this drive will NOT work as an internal hard drive upgrade in Series3's due to a soft reboot problem. Use the recommended WD10EVCS instead.

This drive is good for TiVo HD's though or it could also be used to build an eSATA drive for Series3's. Consult the first post for more info.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #2738
Burger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger23 View Post
Issue: endless reboots on Tivo HD. Tried Kickstart 57 and 58. Does not work- never get past black screen.

I bought my TiVo the day it came out- maybe 2 years ago. At that time the eSata external port was not activated- the only way to increase storage was MFS hack. I replaced the original drive (80Gb) with a 750 Gb drive. If I recall, the hack partitioned the drive- one partition for the system- the other with the data.

Now I hope to replace the bad system with a new system- doing the same hack over again. And hopefully the other data partition will be intact and I will not lose my saved shows. Also, once TiVo activate the eSata port, I believe that I used this hack also to add my 500Gb external ESata drive.

Anyway, would like to try to restore hacked internal hard drive system partition- I am pretty sure it is what I used (step 11). I wonder if restoring the image:

1.Download the MFSLive Linux Boot CD image and burn it as a CD. Boot your PC from the CD.

Will this affect any shows that may be stored on this drive?
1. Switched TV's and now I can see screen
2. I get the Welcome screen, the Almost Done screen, and then the blue screen reporting External hard drive failure. Tried the repair, but it just recycles with same 3 screens. Tried to remove the external hard drive (clear, 3 down-thumbs, enter)- but apparent unmarrying did not work because after a brief pause when the program attempted to unmarry, the same 3 screens appeared again- the program was not successful in unmarrying.
3. I decided to start from scratch and just follow Step 11. But then I noticed there there were some other options in MFS. There is amost Fix BootPage- option 1 or 2.
4. Would any of these, or other options under Tools, help me save shows- or should I just bite the bullet??
Burger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #2739
bobrt6676

Smile 1TB upgrade

Thought I would pass along a + outcome. Purchased a WD10EVCS 1TB drive from Amazon (108) and a USB -SATA adapter(19). DL'd WinMFS (Thanks so much for such an easy to use program) Opened the TivoHD and 30 mins. later I was back in business with 157 Hrs. of HD space. SWEET
For those sitting on the fence between spending $249 for a pre-programmed drive or doing it yourself. Just the follow the great directions on this forum and you can save yourself over $100.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #2740
bkdtv

I updated the first post to reflect that the 1TB My DVR Expander is now officially supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Sorry for not being able to post now due to the prerelease glitch, but I can confirm that the support for the 1TB model was added to the servers.

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #2741
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Thought I would pass along a + outcome. Purchased a WD10EVCS 1TB drive from Amazon (108) and a USB -SATA adapter(19). DL'd WinMFS (Thanks so much for such an easy to use program) Opened the TivoHD and 30 mins. later I was back in business with 157 Hrs. of HD space. SWEET
For those sitting on the fence between spending $249 for a pre-programmed drive or doing it yourself. Just the follow the great directions on this forum and you can save yourself over $100.
Awesome feeling isn't it?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #2742
Yuterald

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I updated the first post to reflect that the 1TB My DVR Expander is now officially supported.
no fair! i posted that in #2733 first!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #2743
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
On sale (as of this posting) Western Digital WD10EADS for $93.80 including shipping.

As noted in the first post of this sticky, this drive will NOT work as an internal hard drive upgrade in Series3's due to a soft reboot problem. Use the recommended WD10EVCS instead.

This drive is good for TiVo HD's though or it could also be used to build an eSATA drive for Series3's. Consult the first post for more info.

I received an e-mail from Newegg. With the promo code EMCLRMR23, this drive is $89.99 with free shipping. On Newegg's website, this drive is normally $99.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L0A-_-22136317

I do not know if that promo code is unique to the email sent to me or if it is a universal promo code.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #2744
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
I received an e-mail from Newegg. With the promo code EMCLRMR23, this drive is $89.99 with free shipping. On Newegg's website, this drive is normally $99.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L0A-_-22136317

I do not know if that promo code is unique to the email sent to me or if it is a universal promo code.
Nice...and I just tried the promo code and it works...so a few more bucks in the buyer's pocket! Now don't get me reminiscing about paying $259 for one a couple years ago.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #2745
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nice...and I just tried the promo code and it works...so a few more bucks in the buyer's pocket! Now don't get me reminiscing about paying $259 for one a couple years ago.
Dang! I just ordered a drive for a friend for her computer an hour ago from Newegg.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #2746
Strapped4Cash

I've read through most of this thread and have successfully upgraded my (2) S3's, (2) S2's and one S2DT, plus others using the instructions posted here.

Thanks.

I have been getting complaints from my wife that the S3 with a WD6400AAKS drive is too noisy. I was wondering whether anyone has tried using any SATA laptop drives which should run significantly quieter and lower power too.

Any thoughts?
Strapped4Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #2747
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
I've read through most of this thread and have successfully upgraded my (2) S3's, (2) S2's and one S2DT, plus others using the instructions posted here.

Thanks.

I have been getting complaints from my wife that the S3 with a WD6400AAKS drive is too noisy. I was wondering whether anyone has tried using any SATA laptop drives which should run significantly quieter and lower power too.
If you get a WD10EVCS or WD10EVVS, I think your wife will be more than satisfied with the acoustics.

You can see a comparison of your WD640AAKS to the WD20EADS (with AAM) in this SPR review, which has virtually identical acoustics to the WD10EVCS and WD10EVVS when in AAM mode.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #2748
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post

Thanks.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to the forum and congrats on all of your upgrades! Wow! I'll second what bkdtv said.

Also, did you try adjusting the automatic acoustic management (AAM) of the offending drive? It probably won't end up being as quiet as one of the recommended WD DVR/GP drives, but it should improve things a great deal. It's likely set at 256 for fast seek times which is good for a PC, but not needed with TiVo. You can adjust it down to 128 to make it less noisy if not acceptably quiet.

You can use the Hitachi Feature Tool to make the adjustment. You'll just need to pull the drive, connect it to your PC, run the program and pop it back in. It won't affect anything but the seek noise (which is what your bride is hearing).

Best of luck and let us know how things go!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #2749
wdai

Has anyone used HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.B 0A38016 HDT721010SLA360 for the internal upgrade for Tivo HD? Looks like this drive can be had for $70 on newegg AR and Coupon.
wdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #2750
Evilmonkee

I'm in the process of upgrading my TivoHD with the 1TB WDEVCS recommended drive.

My original tivo drive(160gb) was pretty much full (HD+SD shows). How long can I expect the WinMFS process to take? I started at around 11am PST and it is now about 1:30pm or about 2.5 hours in.

I am doing the retain all settings and shows MFScopy so I understand it can take some time, but MFS has appeared to be frozen with the progress bar at almost halfway with an ETA of 30min. It's been that way for almost a couple hours now but I'm still seeing the HDD activity light going.

The instructions said that it was a 35-45min process. Does that take into account having a full HDD to transfer? Both (old/new) drives are connected to my PC via SATA.

How long should I have to wait before "freaking out" and is it normal for the MFS screen to appear frozen for so long? Honestly, from the instructions, I didn't think it was going to take this long.

Thanks.
Evilmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #2751
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdai View Post
Has anyone used HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.B 0A38016 HDT721010SLA360 for the internal upgrade for Tivo HD? Looks like this drive can be had for $70 on newegg AR and Coupon.
The Deskstar 7K1000 will work fine. Just be aware that it won't be as quiet as some of the other drives mentioned in this thread. You can find noise "rankings" in the first post of this thread.

If you get that drive, you'll want to make be to use the Hitachi Feature Tools boot CD to enable AAM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #2752
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkee View Post
The instructions said that it was a 35-45min process. Does that take into account having a full HDD to transfer?

Thanks.
I believe that 45 min estimate is for an empty HD with JUST
the TiVo software on it.

Rich might chime in here - he knows all
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #2753
bkdtv

Quote:
My original tivo drive(160gb) was pretty much full (HD+SD shows). How long can I expect the WinMFS process to take? I started at around 11am PST and it is now about 1:30pm or about 2.5 hours in.
That definitely sounds like an unusual amount of time for a SATA connection. My backup took about 20 minutes.

Do you have security or antivirus software installed and running? Some antivirus software can significantly slow the upgrade process, because it processes the transfer to look for viruses.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #2754
Evilmonkee

Just went back and re-read the instructions and I do see where I missed that the 35-45min was just for software/settings transfer. Then it indicated that it could be an hour or more for transferring shows.

Assuming that I had a full ~160GBs to transfer, I wonder if I could calculate the time it should take. Anyone know what the data transfer rate between these two drives via SATA might be?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #2755
Evilmonkee

Thx for your reply bkdtv.

I do have Avira AV running in the background.

What would you recommend I do at this point? If I stop MFS and disable AV (and anything else running in the background I can) will it screw up the new drive at all? Will I be able to simply restart MFScopy without wiping the new drive?

I didn't need to format the new drive before using MFS, right? The instructions didn't mention anything like that.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #2756
bkdtv

Quote:
Thx for your reply bkdtv.

I do have Avira AV running in the background.
If the upgrade does not appear to make any progress in the next 30 minutes, I would cancel it and restart the process with your Avira AV disabled.

Prior to starting the process anew, you might also want to download and run Western Digital's Data LifeGuard utility to check the disk for errors. Some small percentage of drives are defective or damaged in shipping.

Quote:
If I stop MFS and disable AV (and anything else running in the background I can) will it screw up the new drive at all? Will I be able to simply restart MFScopy without wiping the new drive?
Yes, you can simply restart the upgrade process without any extra step. WinMFS will overwrite the contents.

Quote:
I didn't need to format the new drive before using MFS, right?
Correct. You don't need to do anything else, although you might consider running the diagnostic utility mentioned above, just to be certain the drive was not damaged in shipping.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #2757
Evilmonkee

Thanks for the advice.

My free time is quickly diminishing so I may just try starting over again. Sounds like it is taking unusually long. My PC is no slouch either so there should be no bottleneck.

I'll try the WD diag as well and hopefully get this working. Not as smooth as I was hoping the first time.

Hopefully I can come back with some good news soon.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #2758
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Assuming that I had a full ~160GBs to transfer, I wonder if I could calculate the time it should take. Anyone know what the data transfer rate between these two drives via SATA might be?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...95#post6601995
May not be apples to apples, but my "dd" copy (linux copy command) of my 250GB drive to a 800GB took 70min, 60MB/s via sata to sata interface.

Last edited by greg_burns : 04-16-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: had my numbers wrong
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #2759
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Rich might chime in here - he knows all
OMG! Are you kidding me? All he knows is enough to be dangerous. Plus don't forget, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #2760
fred2

I thought I would bring my FAP750 failure thread up to date.

I opted for the quick "they ship me unit and then I ship back bad" for which I paid an expedite price but it wound up 1 week shipping rather than two days. Then, Seagate required an "in person" signature. I had to be home and sign - could not just sign the slip and leave it. Finally, the unit is a "rebuilt" unit and not a new one. I'd guess that they merely fixed someone else's exterior chassis/powersupply/whathaveyou and they will do the same with my (sniff) tivo recording ladened unit).

It will be a storage unit for anything but my Tivo..........
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote