TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #1951
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Fairly certain that the Check Now button is only for mounted drives that are in a format that Windows recognizes (NTFS, FAT32, etc). That won't work for you. I don't know what to tell you to use to check your drive. I haven't run a check on the drives that I have added to my tivos. I have probably added 4-5 to various series2 and about 3 to series3. I haven't had a failure yet (although I had an enclosure bite it about 3 months back).

Jason
You're probably right. At this point, short of buying a retail Disk Utility that my wife will never use, I think I'm just gonna go ahead and install the drive in my Series 3 and see how it goes. I'm sure if there's a problem I'll know soon enough. If it's got some bad sectors I think the Tivo software can fix that on it's own. Thanks for the input txporter. I think I'm just gonna go for it and take my chances.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #1952
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
It looks like maybe you can make a bootable CD too, but I'm still OOL because my wife has Vista and it's not compatible. Any other recommendations for a Hard Disk Utility?
I don't understand. You download the .iso file then use software like www.imgburn.com to make a bootable CD out of it. Piece of cake.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #1953
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
I don't understand. You download the .iso file then use software like www.imgburn.com to make a bootable CD out of it. Piece of cake.
You mean "Instant cake"

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #1954
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Okay. That'll work. I wasn't aware of that program. I was just going by the instructions on the Hitachi site. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #1955
Xirtam717

Thumbs up Just an update

It has been almost two weeks now and the external 1TB Fantom GForce drive that I hooked up to my Series 3 is working fine. I really like that availability of 165 hours HD recording.
Xirtam717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #1956
Majik45

Can anyone tell me if this Western Digital Drive works for an internal upgrade? It looks like it might be one that some people have talked about here, but I'm not sure:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1763104

I have a gift card to use from Dell from buying a computer last Christmas and figure I could upgrade my Tivo hard drive with the money I have.
Majik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #1957
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik45 View Post
Can anyone tell me if this Western Digital Drive works for an internal upgrade? It looks like it might be one that some people have talked about here, but I'm not sure:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A1763104

I have a gift card to use from Dell from buying a computer last Christmas and figure I could upgrade my Tivo hard drive with the money I have.
That is the WD10EACS. It will work internally for a TivoHD. Not the original S3.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 AM   #1958
richsadams

Quote:
That is the WD10EACS. It will work internally for a TivoHD. Not the original S3.
This post caught my attention the other day. The OP is claiming to be successfully using one of the new 3 platter 1TB WD10EACS drives in a Series3. I've asked him if he's tried a soft reboot (the downfall of this drive previously) but no answer as of yet. It'll be interesting to find out if they've altered them to the point of being useful for S3's once again. The early models worked, then they didn't, now they do? Sheesh! To be continued.

BTW, to be clear and until we have proof positive that the new WD10EACS works in every aspect in a Series3, they are still to be avoided...but as you point out they are fine for TiVo HD upgrades or as eSATA drives for either model.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #1959
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have been meaning to check in with a report on the new drive install. I wanted to live with it for a few days and make sure there were no problems with it. To sum up, everything went perfectly. We all owe a debt of gratitude to the WINMFS creator. That is an elegant little bit or work there. Very intuitive. I ended up going for the Hitachi Cinemastar 1 TB unit. I already had a Deskstar I got in a DVRUpgrade.com kit and was very happy with it, plus the Hitachi's seemed to be working well for a lot of people. I got it at Buy.com and the packaging they sent it in was appropriate for a hard drive. They did a good job packing it.

Using WINMFS was pretty easy. I'd already studied the screenshots on Spikes' website and I had my laptop open to the first page of this thread and used those instructions. I used my (no longer needed) MX-1 enclosure to hook up the TiVo drive to my wife's PC via USB and it worked like a charm. The only oddity was that I tried to save the Backup file to the desktop, it didn't seem to want to let me so I just went with it's default location of the same folder as the application and it worked fine. I left the swap file at 128 mainly because it was the default. I went with the Truncated Backup and it only took a couple of minutes. I had already moved my shows to my other Tivo via MRV overnight. I fugured the less time the software spent working the less likely something would go wrong. In the end, the software worked flawlessly.

The Cinemastar has a 32 meg cache and I suspect that's made a difference in performance over the 2 megs my original drive had. Maybe removing the external drives just cleaned things up a bit. For whatever reason, the new drive is much faster and more responsive than my S3 was before. It feels like a whole new machine. Another strange but welcome anomaly is that my 30 Second Skip finally works the way I remember it used to. So that was a pleasant bonus. 9.4 had made it much better, but now it updates the image with each click no matter how fast i click. Kind of makes me suspect my original drive was not working at it's optimum.

At any rate, my S3 seems supercharged now. The whole feel of the thing is better. The Menus have never been snappier, and the whole rig just seems a lot more solid. By losing the two external drives I cut the number of fans by two, and the new Hitachi drives are inaudible from more than couple of feet away. I can just barely hear the fans whirring in the rack now, and I can turn my TV down two notches lower than I could with the external drives attached!

I'm grateful to everyone who contributed to the thread and especially to Tivo Inc. for allowing us to maintain our own machines. This was a really fun project and had q great bang for the buck ratio. I enjoy it every time I turn on the TV. Thanks to you guys for having the courage to do it first.

Last edited by bareyb : 11-22-2008 at 03:02 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 AM   #1960
richsadams

Quote:
I have been meaning to check in with a report on the new drive install. Everything went perfectly. We all owe a debt of gratitude to the WINMFS creator. That is an elegant little bit or work there. <snip>
Thanks Barey, nice write up! I've mentioned a PayPal donation link to Spike for the winMFS program more than once, but he's poo-pooed it. I think it's worth a contribution myself. Nice to hear that your TiVo's got a second life as a speedster!

Enjoy my friend.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #1961
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks Barey, nice write up! I've mentioned a PayPal donation link to Spike for the winMFS program more than once, but he's poo-pooed it. I think it's worth a contribution myself. Nice to hear that your TiVo's got a second life as a speedster!

Enjoy my friend.
I absolutely agree. I had planned to go back to his website and look for a donation channel. This was huge for me. I had always dreaded my TiVo going dead and having to deal with Comcast and the whole cablecard mess again. Shipping my TiVo back to TiVo and waiting for a refurb in the mail... Now I can fix it myself and my kids and i don't miss any of our shows. That's worth a lot.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #1962
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Just wanted to say that I successfully upgraded my Series 3 TiVo today with a Western Digital 1TB WD10EVCS Hard Drive using winMFS. The WD10EVCS Hard Drive is ultra quiet and puts out less heat than the original. I picked it up from buy.com for $125 with free shipping but beware it is a bare drive and the packaging in the box was very poor from buy.com.

Thanks for all the info in the thread.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #1963
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I replaced my Series 3 internal with a 750 GB upgrade kit (purchased from Weaknees) and it's been running fine. Now I want to expand further by plugging in a 1 TB external (eSata) add-on.

I know I have to do something, like take the upgrade kit out, plug it into a PC, and apply some command to allow for external expansion.

Can anyone tell me what that command is? Is there a link or how-to out there I can reference?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #1964
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I replaced my Series 3 internal with a 750 GB upgrade kit (purchased from Weaknees) and it's been running fine. Now I want to expand further by plugging in a 1 TB external (eSata) add-on.

I know I have to do something, like take the upgrade kit out, plug it into a PC, and apply some command to allow for external expansion.

Can anyone tell me what that command is? Is there a link or how-to out there I can reference?
The command in WINMFS is called "MFSADD". They have most all of the possible scenarios on the first page of this thread which is where I copied this from. They really need to rename this thread because it's about more than just external storage. It also outlines most of the functions that WINMFS can do.

Quote:
What is the method to add an eSATA drive if I have a TiVoHD or I previously upgraded my TiVo?

If building your own eSATA drive, be sure to see FAQ #25 for drive, cable, and enclosure recommendations.

This method requires that you remove the TiVo's internal drive, connect it to your PC, and use the WinMFS or the MFSLive software. It is not difficult, but it does require some time. Instructions are below.

Remove the cover screws from the rear of the case using a torx screwdriver in the T10 size. Put the screws in a safe place. If you don't have a torx screwdriver of appropriate length, you can purchase the Star Driver T10 Ampro (9014713) from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.

Place the TiVo on a flat surface such as a desk or counter top.

With the front of the TivoHD facing you, slide the top cover around 1/4 inch toward the rear (away from you) until it appears to stop traveling.

Grab the top cover in the lower front corner on both sides and pull outward on both sides just a little and the cover will slide the rest of the way off.

Remove the four screws holding the drive down with the same Torx T10 screwdriver. Disconnect the SATA cable and power cable from the drive.

Turn off your computer and connect your internal SATA drive and the new external SATA drive. You can open your computer and connect both with SATA cables, or you can connect them both externally using a pair of SATA->USB adapters. If you are connecting a retail eSATA drive to the SATA port on your PC, you will also need a SATA -> eSATA cable such as the SIIG CB-SA0311-S1 (Buy.com, TheNerds.net, or ProVantage.com) or the PPA Int'l 3848 (Newegg.com).

Both drives should be connected to your PC at the same time.

To "marry" the built-in drive and external eSATA drive for use in the TiVo:

If you have a PC running Windows XP (SP2) or Windows Vista, download WinMFS here.

Turn on your computer and launch WinMFS in Windows. If using Windows Vista, you'll want to launch WinMFS by right-clicking on WinMFS.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator."

In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive' and select the two drives you attached. Set 'Drive A' to the TiVo's built-in drive and 'Drive B' to the external drive.

Select Tools -> Mfsadd.

If you don't have a PC running Windows XP (SP2) or Windows Vista, then you'll need to use the MFSLive Linux Boot CD image. You can download that here. Burn that image to CD.

Boot your computer with the MFSLive Boot CD. You may have to adjust the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD instead of the PC's internal hard drive.

Carefully ensure that the new internal drive is designated 'sda' and the external drive is designated as 'sdb.' You can use Shift+PageUp after you have booted up to see which drive is where.

Use the following command:

For Tivo S3 (TCD648250B)
mfsadd -r 4 -ex /dev/sda /dev/sdb

For TivoHD (TCD652160)
mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/sda /dev/sdb

If you need more detailed instructions, see the Series3 section of the MFSLive Software Guide.

Shutdown your computer and disconnect the drives.

Reinstall the internal drive, replace the TiVo's outer case, and connect the eSATA drive.

You're done.

Note these steps are unnecessary if you are adding Western Digital's My DVR Expander to a stock TivoHD. In that case, just follow the instructions in FAQ #7.

Last edited by bareyb : 11-22-2008 at 09:38 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #1965
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Awesome, bareyb. Thanks for that, it's exactly what I needed. Sounds straightforward enough.

And this won't delete any of my recordings or season passes, right?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #1966
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just doing some quick shopping and it seems like these are pretty good deals for an expansion plan:

Antec MX-1 USB/e-SATA 3.5-Inch Hard Drive Enclosure $34.84 on Amazon
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVCS Hard Drive $124.99 on Buy.com

Anything else I need? Any other/better deals out there?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #1967
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Just doing some quick shopping and it seems like these are pretty good deals for an expansion plan:

Antec MX-1 USB/e-SATA 3.5-Inch Hard Drive Enclosure $34.84 on Amazon
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVCS Hard Drive $124.99 on Buy.com

Anything else I need? Any other/better deals out there?
The only other thing you need is a way to hook up your drives to your PC. Either internally with SATA cables or externally with a USB adapter or enclosure. Beyond that, I think you are ready to go.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #1968
Big Ry

Thinking about a Seagate

I've been considering the Seagate Pipeline HD (model#: ST31000533cs) 1 TB option and need some advice on an enclosure. The drive will be in near constant operation i fear, so the enclosure having a fan would be a plus. Also, if anyone has any experience with this particular drive, any advice or criticism would be helpful.
Big Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #1969
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
I've been considering the Seagate Pipeline HD (model#: ST31000533cs) 1 TB option and need some advice on an enclosure. The drive will be in near constant operation i fear, so the enclosure having a fan would be a plus. Also, if anyone has any experience with this particular drive, any advice or criticism would be helpful.
The Antec MX-1 is by far the highest of recommended external enclosures here. Easy to use and fan cooled.

I've no experience with that model, but have been using Seagate drives for years and consider them the best. That said, I've been using a 1TB WD GP drive in our TiVo for over a year and it's been flawless.

EDIT: Some Seagate drives can be loud to very loud but I just checked the acoustic specs on the ST31000533cs, 2.7 to 2.9 bels which is fairly quiet (although there are other models running as quiet as 2.4 bels now) and they market it as a PVR/DVR drive...so not a bad choice as far as I can see.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-23-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #1970
myblubu

Quote:
This post caught my attention the other day. The OP is claiming to be successfully using one of the new 3 platter 1TB WD10EACS drives in a Series3. I've asked him if he's tried a soft reboot (the downfall of this drive previously) but no answer as of yet. It'll be interesting to find out if they've altered them to the point of being useful for S3's once again. The early models worked, then they didn't, now they do? Sheesh! To be continued.

BTW, to be clear and until we have proof positive that the new WD10EACS works in every aspect in a Series3, they are still to be avoided...but as you point out they are fine for TiVo HD upgrades or as eSATA drives for either model.
First of all - this is my first post here - MANY thanks to all of the posters, this is a great resource for someone just getting into the TiVo scene!

I just purchased a used Tivo HD this week and quicly starting to realize I would like to upgrade the internal hard drive. I've read a few pages here and I come across some postings that mention the WD10EACS works fine and others that say that there is a 'soft boot' problem when using this drive.

Looking at this post, is this 'soft boot' problem only with the T3? Would I experience any issues upgrading my Tivo HD unit to the WD10EACS?

A local store has the WD10EACS on sale and today is the last day for the sale. I was thinking of picking one up.

Any advantages/disadvantages of the WD10EACS over the other WD models I've seen listed in this forum (WD10EADS, WD10EVCS, WD10EVVS)?

Also the 1 year warranty on my unit isn't up until the end of the year, so I'm wondering should I wait until after the unit is out of warranty to upgrade it???

Last edited by myblubu : 11-23-2008 at 07:22 AM.
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #1971
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Any advantages/disadvantages of the WD10EACS over the other WD models I've seen listed in this forum (WD10EADS, WD10EVCS, WD10EVVS)?
The WD10EACS is an older model that was released prior to the availablity of the "designed for DVR" models (WD10EVCS, WD10EVVS). See FAQ #30 in the first post has more information.

TiVo uses the WD10EVVS in their $599 TivoHD XL. The WD10EVVS is a cheaper version of the WD10EVCS with 8Mb cache instead of 16Mb. You can get the WD10EVCS for $129.99 shipped.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #1972
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post

Also the 1 year warranty on my unit isn't up until the end of the year, so I'm wondering should I wait until after the unit is out of warranty to upgrade it???
Everything you need to know is included in the first post of this thread. bkdtv has done a stellar job of keeping it up to date. (Although I do wish the moderators could change the name of the thread to something like "The Official TiVo HD, HDXL and Series3 Hard Drive FAQ" or something of that nature to better reflect all of the info it includes now...but that's OT here.)

You can upgrade your TiVo HD with the WD10EACS or the others bkdtv suggests without fear. It was the Series3's that incurred the soft reboot issues. The only caveat is that the WD10EACS is a bit louder than the "DVR dedicated" drives. You can "tune" the acoustics by using a program the Hitachi Feature Tool while you have it connected to your PC if you'd like. Me? I'd go with the drive bkdtv recommends, the WD10EVVS and be done with it.

With regard to the warranty. Yes, opening the box will void the warranty. However TiVo has no way of knowing that you've done anything unless you tell them or leave evidence behind (so don't be like some doctors and leave something inside ). The rule of thumb is to install your new hard drive and put the old one on the shelf. That way if something goes wrong you can always reinstall the original drive and return the box to TiVo and they will be none the wiser. Plus you'll have a perfect backup drive if something goes wrong with your new one.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #1973
myblubu

Quote:
Everything you need to know is included in the first post of this thread. bkdtv has done a stellar job of keeping it up to date. (Although I do wish the moderators could change the name of the thread to something like "The Official TiVo HD, HDXL and Series3 Hard Drive FAQ" or something of that nature to better reflect all of the info it includes now...but that's OT here.)

You can upgrade your TiVo HD with the WD10EACS or the others bkdtv suggests without fear. It was the Series3's that incurred the soft reboot issues. The only caveat is that the WD10EACS is a bit louder than the "DVR dedicated" drives. You can "tune" the acoustics by using a program the Hitachi Feature Tool while you have it connected to your PC if you'd like. Me? I'd go with the drive bkdtv recommends, the WD10EVVS and be done with it.

With regard to the warranty. Yes, opening the box will void the warranty. However TiVo has no way of knowing that you've done anything unless you tell them or leave evidence behind (so don't be like some doctors and leave something inside ). The rule of thumb is to install your new hard drive and put the old one on the shelf. That way if something goes wrong you can always reinstall the original drive and return the box to TiVo and they will be none the wiser. Plus you'll have a perfect backup drive if something goes wrong with your new one.

Happy upgrading!
Thanks bkdtv & richsadams! I'm going to get a drive and proceed with my upgrade next week. I was thinking the same thing in referenc to having the original drive as a spare. I think I am going to go for the 10EACS (about $20 cheaper) and use the utility to adjust the parameters for the acustics. I'll report back how it turns out.

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #1974
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
However TiVo has no way of knowing that you've done anything unless you tell them or leave evidence behind
TiVo definitely knows if you have upgraded the drive as soon as the unit calls home.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #1975
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
TiVo definitely knows if you have upgraded the drive as soon as the unit calls home.
True enough...in their logs if someone there were to take the time to look things up. Of course that also means that if one upgrades their internal drive and then calls in with a problem that might trip them up...so it's best to keep things simple by putting the original drive back in if something goes south.

My point was that AFAIK no one has ever been denied a warranty replacement if they return the unit with the original drive.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #1976
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just to be sure, I wanted to re-ask this question that got overlooked, before I dive in. I plan to run MFSADD via WINMFS:

Quote:
And this won't delete any of my recordings or season passes, right?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #1977
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Just to be sure, I wanted to re-ask this question that got overlooked, before I dive in. I plan to run MFSADD via WINMFS:
It appears from the FAQ that it doesn't delete anything and only "adds" but since I haven't done it myself I can't say for sure. I would hate to tell you go ahead and then have you lose data. It is my impression that this is the same as if you had added the external drive using the TiVo's built in functioning and thus would retain all the recordings on your internal drive. Seems logical to me. Hopefully, somebody who knows for sure will chime in.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #1978
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
It appears from the FAQ that it doesn't delete anything and only "adds" but since I haven't done it myself I can't say for sure. I would hate to tell you go ahead and then have you lose data. It is my impression that this is the same as if you had added the external drive using the TiVo's built in functioning and thus would retain all the recordings on your internal drive. Seems logical to me. Hopefully, somebody who knows for sure will chime in.
MFSADD doesn't affect the data that is already stored on your internal drive when you pair with an external. Did it myself about 3-4 months ago. However, when my external flamed out and I had to divorce, I lost everything from the day I married them with MFSADD.

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #1979
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
MFSADD doesn't affect the data that is already stored on your internal drive when you pair with an external. Did it myself about 3-4 months ago. However, when my external flamed out and I had to divorce, I lost everything from the day I married them with MFSADD.

Jason
Ah, thanks for this, very helpful information. Also good to know that anything that was recorded prior to the MFSADD marriage was still intact after your external died. (I'd have figured that everything would be lost.)

Thanks for the feedback, txporter and bareyb.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #1980
myblubu

Okay, I'm going through the instructions, getting ready to install my new WD10EACS into my Tivo HD. I'm reading through everything before I start to make sure I don't have questions and then I noticed this in #11:

9. In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive' and select the two drives you attached. Set 'Drive A' to the original drive. Do not select 'Drive B.

It may be obvious when I actually start the process, but does this step conflict with itself ('select the two drives' then 'Do not select Drive B'). Let me know if I'm missing something here.

Thanks!