TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #1921
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
If it's really true that a slow power up of the drive is the problem, TiVo could probably make a small timing change to their boot software to fix the problem. Wish they would; the Samsung drive is very quiet, low power consuming and cost effective and would could possibly be a better option for them in the XL system than the current drive they're using (I'm assuming they use a WD drive now).
Agreed that it might be a better OEM drive if TiVo were to make some software adjustments. However I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides software adjustments that might have backwards compatibility issues, TiVo has a long, long term relationship (as in since day one) with WD and I doubt if they're anxious to make a wholesale change to a new partner. The newer WD GP "green" drives seem to be doing well (ours has been flawless for about a year now) so I could see them switching to one of those.

So just THD's? I haven't kept up with all of the threads but IIRC there were one or two S3 users that didn't have problems. Whatever the cause/effect, keeping this particular Samsung drive out of the mix is probably best for now. I'd really like to know what the issue is though. Sounds like it's the hard drive's firmware, but then...

Thanks for being a TiVo Pioneer in any case.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #1922
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

External Drive update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
I have this exact same problem with a S3 and a WD My Book Home.
I currently have the WD Hone edition external drive, 500 GB an wishn to upgrade to at least the 1 TB unit, will this be possible my merely unplugging the old drive then marry the newer drive to the Tivo unit?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #1923
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
I currently have the WD Hone edition external drive, 500 GB an wishn to upgrade to at least the 1 TB unit, will this be possible my merely unplugging the old drive then marry the newer drive to the Tivo unit?
Hmmm...the post you're quoting is over a year old and the WD My Book Home Edition didn't work with TiVo then or AFAIK won't work with them now (see Section III, #6 of the original post on this thread). Are you saying that you currently have one of those connected to your TiVo? Or do you have the "approved" WD My DVR Expander or something else?

If you complete a normal internal hard drive upgrade on a Series3 or a TiVo HD, you would need to marry the eSATA drive at the same time. Just follow the directions in the first post or at mfslive.org.

Or are you saying that you have a 500GB eSATA drive and want to upgrade to a 1TB eSATA drive? If that's the case and you have a Series3 you don't have to do anything special as long as you're using one of the recommended drives or drive/enclosure combos (see the first post on this thread). You'll need to divorce your existing drive (which means you will lose all of your recordings since you connected it)...

Unplug TiVo
Unplug and disconnect your eSATA drive
Plug TiVo back in and follow the on-screen divorce instructions

TiVo will take a little time to get things organized and then reboot. After it fully reboots into a normal state...

Unplug TiVo
Connect your new eSATA drive to TiVo and turn it on (give it 10 seconds or so to fully spin up)
Plug TiVo back in and follow the on-screen instructions

TiVo will re-organize things, reboot and you'll be back in business...with more real estate!

NOTE: This will only work with TiVo Series3's. TiVo HD's require anything but the WD My DVR Expander to be married to the internal hard drive (again, see the first post for more info.)

Last edited by richsadams : 11-09-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #1924
retired_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks for being a TiVo Pioneer in any case.
I've concluded that the "spin-up" time isn't the issue with Samsung 1TB HD103UI and posted some information as to why at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=1#post6832225

Your comment about thanks for being a TiVo Pioneer reminds me of the old line about "What's the definition of Pioneers?. Answer: "People with arrows in their backs" >
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #1925
hunts

*CLEARLY* storage space has gotten cheap! Check out this drive for $150 shipped W/ a 4 GB thumbdrive! lol

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch...A74438&afsrc=1

Now the question is, has anyone replaced their internal HDD with something larger than 1 TB?
hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #1926
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
I've concluded that the "spin-up" time isn't the issue with Samsung 1TB HD103UI and posted some information as to why at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=1#post6832225

Your comment about thanks for being a TiVo Pioneer reminds me of the old line about "What's the definition of Pioneers?. Answer: "People with arrows in their backs" >
Got it...thanks. Interesting issue.

BTW, I stopped counting arrows ages ago.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #1927
hunts

Did anyone see this deal by Mwave.com?
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch...A74438&afsrc=1

a 1.5 TB HDD for $150 shipped!?! Does anyone know if that can go inside the series 3 Tivo by itself? I thought the limit of the S3 tivo was 1 TB in and 1 TB as an external drive.

oh FYI, it also comes with a 4 GB flash drive too free of charge!

Last edited by hunts : 11-10-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: more info
hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #1928
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
... TiVo has a long, long term relationship (as in since day one) with WD and I doubt if they're anxious to make a wholesale change to a new partner.
What makes you say that? My oldest TiVos, from early 2000, came with Quantum drives. IIRC, Quantum was later bought out by Maxtor, which was acquired by Seagate.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #1929
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts View Post
...a 1.5 TB HDD for $150 shipped!?! Does anyone know if that can go inside the series 3 Tivo by itself? I thought the limit of the S3 tivo was 1 TB in and 1 TB as an external drive...
Unfortunately, nobody has reported full success with that drive. Stick with 1TB internal and external on the TiVo. It is still a pretty good deal (for your PC).
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #1930
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Count me in as a Hard Drive "upgrader". My Series 3 just took a major dump. GSOD and constant reboots. My options are to swap it for a refurb for $150.00 or buy a new drive. I just ordered a 1 TB kit from DVR Upgrade and it should be here tomorrow... I hope it works... I have two kids under the age of 8 and they aren't known for their "patience and understanding" with regard to technical issues that affect their TV viewing.

How are you guys liking the Hitachi 1 TB drives?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #1931
Lenonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Unfortunately, nobody has reported full success with that drive. Stick with 1TB internal and external on the TiVo. It is still a pretty good deal (for your PC).
Slashdot article on the 1.5TB Seagate

I think dodging this one is a good choice for now.
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #1932
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have all but decided on getting a 1TB Cinemastar. Is this the best way to go? Any problems reported with these?

Last edited by bareyb : 11-13-2008 at 07:25 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #1933
overthetop75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I have all but decided on getting a 1TB Cinemastar. Is this the best way to go? Any problems reported with these?
Why not save some money and get the deskstar and turn the aam down to 128 making it a cinemaster? Also you can do a but it now on ebay for 170 shipped on a 1tb wd green power already setup for the tivo which is much quieter then the hitachi. I had the hitachi in my bedroom and did not like the noise so I bought a wd green and it is much better. ( Some people might not hear the difference but I did) The hitachi is in my other hd tivo now in the living room where the sound is not a problem. I have not had the drives long enough to say which one will last longer but I think for me I would only but WD in the future. Also if you don't mind taking the extra step and setting up the drive yourself you could get the wd green for under $110. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
overthetop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #1934
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthetop75 View Post
Why not save some money and get the deskstar and turn the aam down to 128 making it a cinemaster? Also you can do a but it now on ebay for 170 shipped on a 1tb wd green power already setup for the tivo which is much quieter then the hitachi. I had the hitachi in my bedroom and did not like the noise so I bought a wd green and it is much better. ( Some people might not hear the difference but I did) The hitachi is in my other hd tivo now in the living room where the sound is not a problem. I have not had the drives long enough to say which one will last longer but I think for me I would only but WD in the future. Also if you don't mind taking the extra step and setting up the drive yourself you could get the wd green for under $110. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
The drive I bought from DVR Upgrade was a Deskstar and it's plenty quiet but he did adjust it down to optimize for DVR use. Is the AAM the only difference from the Cinemastar?

My only reservation is, I'm going to have to use a PC to do all this and I'm used to a Mac. I don't even know how to boot from a CD on a PC! So I'm a little leary of doing all the settings on a new drive myself. I asked the owner of DVR UPgrade if I could buy a Deskstar pre-configured with the AAM turned down and I'm still waiting to see if he's willing to do that and for how much.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #1935
overthetop75

Quote:
The drive I bought from DVR Upgrade was a Deskstar and it's plenty quiet but he did adjust it down to optimize for DVR use. Is the AAM the only difference from the Cinemastar?

My only reservation is, I'm going to have to use a PC to do all this and I'm used to a Mac. I don't even know how to boot from a CD on a PC! So I'm a little leary of doing all the settings on a new drive myself. I asked the owner of DVR UPgrade if I could buy a Deskstar pre-configured with the AAM turned down and I'm still waiting to see if he's willing to do that and for how much.
Don't get me wrong the deskstar is a great drive and with it set to 128 it is not much louder then the WD. I still think for someone not wanting to make changes themselves then a wd setup for the tivo with instructions for $170 is a good deal. If you still want to use a deskstar and they won't do it for you I have no problems setting it up for you for free.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #1936
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthetop75 View Post
Don't get me wrong the deskstar is a great drive and with it set to 128 it is not much louder then the WD. I still think for someone not wanting to make changes themselves then a wd setup for the tivo with instructions for $170 is a good deal. If you still want to use a deskstar and they won't do it for you I have no problems setting it up for you for free.
I'm wanting to transfer the settings (Season Passes etc.) to the new drive before I install it. So that means I'm going to have to use MFSTools or something like it. I have downloaded the CD image from Hitachi's website. I'm going to see if Toast for the Mac can do a Disc Image for a PC. If it will then I should be okay to do the adjustments myself.

My only question is, how do you boot from a CD on a PC running Vista? On a Mac you hold down the "C" key. I have no idea on a PC. How do you do it?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #1937
overthetop75

Quote:
I'm wanting to transfer the settings (Season Passes etc.) to the new drive before I install it. So that means I'm going to have to use MFSTools or something like it. I have downloaded the CD image from Hitachi's website. I'm going to see if Toast for the Mac can do a Disc Image for a PC. If it will then I should be okay to do the adjustments myself.

My only question is, how do you boot from a CD on a PC running Vista? On a Mac you hold down the "C" key. I have no idea on a PC. How do you do it?
When it starts to boot you will see on the bottom right(most machines) press f9 or some other key that it says for the boot menu. Then just select boot from cd. Most machines are already set to boot from a bootable cd so you might not even need to do anything besides boot with the cd in the drive. This will put you right into the hitachi program to set the aam. You can do the rest from inside of windows to maintain all of your settings.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #1938
jlib
Lean Forward

If it is a Dell do an F12 when the screen first comes on. Alternately, you can go into the BIOS setup program (usually F2 or Delete) and put the CD ahead of the hardrive in the boot sequence.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #1939
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
As far as the TiVo is concerned, yes.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #1940
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
As far as the TiVo is concerned, yes.
Cool. I got my wife's Dell to boot from the CD. So I'm ready to roll. I really am liking the Deskstar drives they use at DVR Upgrade so far. It is smokin' fast and very quiet. In fact, the slight fan noise from my external MX-1 enclosure is all I can hear now. It's nice to have snappy menus again. I guess my old drive had been going for a while. It was very slow compared to the new one. I am currently moving all the shows I haven't seen to "TiVo 2" in preparation for the new drive which will arrive on Tuesday.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1941
richsadams

$99 WD 1TB GP Drive

For anyone wanting to upgrade their TiVo HD or add an eSATA to their TiVo HD or Series3, Newegg has the bare WD 1TB WD10EACS SATA hard drive for $99.99 w/free shipping at the moment...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=22-136-151

Note that this drive will NOT work as an internal upgrade for the TiVo Series3. For more info on this, other drives and upgrade options refer to the first post on this sticky.

EDIT: Just checked and the drive is back up to it's normal $115 which is still a pretty decent price.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #1942
SteveH66

Angry Freezing S3

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've got a TiVo S3 and I'm trying to expand its storage. I've read through the FAQ here and I'm a tech guy, so this is right up my alley. I'm using the Antec MX-1 enclosure, the SIIG CB-SA0111-S1 cable, and I've tried both the Seagate DB35 750GB drive (ST3750640SCE) and, most recently, the WD AV-GP 1TB drive (WD10EVCS). All of these parts are on the suggested parts list in this FAQ.

I put the drive into the enclosure, hook it up to the powered-off TiVo, power it up, and follow the on-screen directions. After the confirmation screens, the drive seems to be working fine and the extra storage shows up in the "System Info" screen.

However, after a short amount of time (between an hour and a day or so), the TiVo freezes and, in some cases, I get the GSOD. If I power off the TiVo, disconnect the drive, the TiVo works just fine.

I started to get this with the Seagate 750GB drive, so I figured it was the drive and I got the WD drive (both were brand new). So...I'm now convinced now that it's not a drive problem. I've tried two different SIIG cables...the only thing I haven't switched out is the enclosure. Could that be the problem? Should I try another of the Antex MX-1's or try another enclosure? Thanks for any help!

- Steve -
SteveH66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #1943
greg_burns
Now in HD

Sounds like you troubleshot this pretty well.

If you have eSata on your PC you could attach the MX-1 to it and try stress testing. Sounds like there is something wrong with the controller chip on the Antec. (Hooking up via USB obviously would not test the same components.) From reports here, it seems they are more than willing to do an RMA on it.

Another option, is to forget the external storage and just put that new 1TB drive internal using WinMFS.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #1944
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH66 View Post
I'm hoping someone here can help me out. <snip>
Hi Steve, I'm in agreement with Greg...it's almost certainly a problem with your MX-1 enclosure. The one I have worked flawlessly until I disconnected it and installed a 1TB internal drive, but there are probably a half-dozen reports on the forum of those enclosures failing over the past year; not unusual considering how many are in the wild IMO.

Antec is very good about replacing defective enclosures. I'd get an RMA and get back on the road to more space.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #1945
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hi guys. My Hitachi drive arrived a day early. Looks like Buy.com packed it properly. Still, do you guys think it would be prudent to run some disc utilities on it to make sure it doesn't have any problems? If so, is there a free Hard Drive utility program I could download to my wife's PC for testing purposes?

I may just do this today if I can get my wife off her PC for a little while...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #1946
greg_burns
Now in HD

Hitachi Drive Fitness test is one I like to use

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

WD makes one that will write zeros to the drive, but I don't know if it will work with non-WD drives
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #1947
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Hitachi Drive Fitness test is one I like to use

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

WD makes one that will write zeros to the drive, but I don't know if it will work with non-WD drives
It looks like it creates a bootable "diskette" and my wife's PC doesn't even have a floppy drive. Is there something built into Vista I can use without having to boot up from it?

Last edited by bareyb : 11-17-2008 at 06:45 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #1948
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It looks like it creates a bootable "diskette" and my wife's PC doesn't even have a floppy drive. Is there something built into Vista I can use without having to boot up from it?
It looks like maybe you can make a bootable CD too, but I'm still OOL because my wife has Vista and it's not compatible. Any other recommendations for a Hard Disk Utility?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #1949
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
There seems to be a utility built into Vista. You right click on a hard drive and use the Properties menu Tools. I'm a little leery of using it. Will it mount the drive or do something "wrong" that might interfere with the WINMFS tools?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #1950
txporter
One sec, almost done

Fairly certain that the Check Now button is only for mounted drives that are in a format that Windows recognizes (NTFS, FAT32, etc). That won't work for you. I don't know what to tell you to use to check your drive. I haven't run a check on the drives that I have added to my tivos. I have probably added 4-5 to various series2 and about 3 to series3. I haven't had a failure yet (although I had an enclosure bite it about 3 months back).

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote