Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #1891
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhof View Post
Thanks the response.

The drive inside my TIVO box is original and I had not made any modifications to it until I tried to add the second drive.

The second Drive is a WD500H1CS-00 It is an external drive and I am using the enclosure it came with.

I'm not exactly sure which cable I am using, a friend of mine ordered it for me, but I believe it was listed on this forum as one of the cables that works with TIVO.

After doing the add with the second drive plugged in, the TIVO sits in the " powering up" screen and then every couple mins resets itself.

If I unplug the drive, the tivo will go into the "hard drive missing" screen. I am able to follow the instructions and get the TIVO back online without the second drive (sorry for the confusion on this one).

I was also able to reconnect both drives to my computer and use the divorce function to restore the internal drive.

I would love to get this working, so any suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks
Ah...I think I see the problem...perhaps two of them.

First based on the model number, the Western Digital eSATA drive you're trying to use, the WD My Book Home Edition, will not work. It is one of the few eSATA drives that is not compatible with TiVo Series3's (and IIRC TiVo HD's). There's something about the three-way bridge that is problematic for TiVo's.

Then, just to confirm (and I should have asked earlier) you said you have a TiVo "S3". Here that means a Series3. This is a TiVo HD. The reason we need to clarify is that you can add a (compatible) eSATA drive to the TiVo Series3 via plug and play. There's no need to pull the internal drive or run any programs at all. You just have to connect it correctly:
Unplug your TiVo Series3.
Connect the eSATA drive to TiVo.
Plug in the eSATA drive and turn it on...wait about 10 seconds for it to fully spin up.
Plug TiVo back in and follow the on-screen instructions.
The only time you'd need to run winMFS is if you wanted to add an eSATA drive to a Series3 which had a previously upgraded internal hard drive.

On the other hand TiVo HD's can only accept the TiVo approved Western Digital My DVR Expander unless you run winMFS to marry an "unapproved" drive to it.

Soooo, if you do have a Series3 and you tried to marry an external drive using winMFS...AFAIK, that's a first! If you properly divorced the drive (and it sounds like you did) and TiVo is running fine things should be okay.

You'll need to return the eSATA drive you have, get one that is compatible, correctly connect it and you should be in business. If you want a 500GB eSATA drive my advice would be to simply buy the approved WD My DVR Expander. That will work with your TiVo Series3 or a TiVo HD.

If you want to do a little more work you could buy one of the recommended hard drives and enclosures and be in business as well. The 500GB WD GP (or larger) series of hard drives are recommended (for external use) as is the Antec MX-1 enclosure ($29.99 at amazon.com right now which is a very good price).

Hope that helps but before you go any further I'd strongly recommend doing a little homework. Read through the very first post of Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion on this sticky thread. Recommended hard drives, usage, etc...basically everything you need to know is there. If you still have questions after that feel free to ask!

Last edited by richsadams : 11-01-2008 at 11:50 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #1892
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Installed the 1Tb Fantom Drives "GreenDrive" today. Touch wood it all went well. Though, TiVo fussed about it being an unsupported unit, the installation completed and there is 165 hours of HD storage now. I can't believe how quiet the drive is.
As has been noted before, the drive did not come with an eSata cable.

This is the cable I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330271805637 the connection is secure at both ends; but does not have a positive lock.
One month later; the 1TB Fantom Drive is still working, though it's a little louder now than when it was empty. Still, I have to open the cabinet doors to hear it.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #1893
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
One month later; the 1TB Fantom Drive is still working, though it's a little louder now than when it was empty. Still, I have to open the cabinet doors to hear it.
Nice! And thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #1894
docnaks

Question...my S3 warranty is up soon (1 year); I've opened, built and upgraded more than a few computers in my day, and I think I have the skills to do an internal upgrade. Would most of you out there do an internal upgrade or add an eSATA HDD? I'd like to up the capacity now that I have HDTV, I'm just a little shaky on my skills and ability to use winMFS. I've read the posts, and I think I could do it, but I'm a little confused on the super size step. The step-by-step guide says to do it one way, but the posts mention a missed step?
docnaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #1895
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnaks View Post
Question...my S3 warranty is up soon (1 year); I've opened, built and upgraded more than a few computers in my day, and I think I have the skills to do an internal upgrade. Would most of you out there do an internal upgrade or add an eSATA HDD? I'd like to up the capacity now that I have HDTV, I'm just a little shaky on my skills and ability to use winMFS. I've read the posts, and I think I could do it, but I'm a little confused on the super size step. The step-by-step guide says to do it one way, but the posts mention a missed step?
Definately would recommend upgrading the internal drive and forgoe the external. I haven't even bothered remarrying my external since upgrading to 1TB internal.

To tell you the truth I never even bothered with the SuperSize step. I guess I forgot. It doesn't add much more space anyways when dealing with a 1TB drive. (But that one post is just saying make sure you have the right drive selected before telling it to supersize. Really easy.)

Last edited by greg_burns : 11-05-2008 at 05:23 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #1896
jlib
Lean Forward

Yes, always go with the internal upgrade first as long as opening the TiVo does not give you a quesy feeling in your stomach. You already have the necessary level of knowledge to proceed.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #1897
DallasFlier
HONESTY is nice...

website glitch - double post - deleted!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #1898
DallasFlier
HONESTY is nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnaks View Post
I was the one who posted about the missed step - and I think the step by step guide in the first post of this thread now has been corrected to add that step in. As has been said, its pretty easy - just select the correct drive before doing the supersize command.

I'd definitely recommend that you do the internal upgrade first. The most likely failure point of the entire TiVo is the hard drive. Put two drives into your configuration, and you've simply doubled the chances of failure - and since failure of EITHER drive means you end up losing all your shows, the internal drive upgrade and a single drive configuration is definitely the most reliable.

As for saying the supersize step should isn't a big deal because it doesn't add that much capacity - well, it moves the available HD capacity from 131 hours to 144, a 13 hour difference. The baseline TiVo HD's total capacity is 20 hours of HD. So, I'd say 13 hours of additional FREE capacity in exchange for performing a 10 second command during the upgrade is a pretty damn good tradeoff, but that's just me.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #1899
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
As for saying the supersize step should isn't a big deal because it doesn't add that much capacity - well, it moves the available HD capacity from 131 hours to 144, a 13 hour difference. The baseline TiVo HD's total capacity is 20 hours of HD. So, I'd say 13 hours of additional FREE capacity in exchange for performing a 10 second command during the upgrade is a pretty damn good tradeoff, but that's just me.
Very good point. Guess I was thinking it was much less than that.

I must have done that command cause mine is at 144 HD hours currently.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #1900
docnaks

Thanks for the advice! As soon as my S3 hits its one year anniversary, I'll try the internal upgrade.
docnaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #1901
Beantownbeanie

HI, I tried google. NO luck...

I had a Seagate 750 on my Tivo HD with the eSata....used winmfs...but gave in after many glitches and freezes...took it off and got the Tivo approved expander...
Now I have this Seagate 750...I had a port on my PC so I just plugged it in...but Vista does not see it... How can I get Vista to see it so I can reformat it and use it as a spare drive on my computer? I bought 2 at the time and one works great...its in the other eSata port...
Thanks in advance... I didnt know where else to go.
Beantownbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #1902
txporter
One sec, almost done

Pretty sure if you type compmgnt.msc at the Run... prompt it will bring up the computer management utility that will allow windows to see the drive. Once it does, you can select it and format it. Windows doesn't recognize it right now because it is the wrong format.

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #1903
Beantownbeanie

That did it. THanks.

New problem...Connected MY tivo verified DVR Expander....keeps rebooting...says it sees the storage would you like to use it? I say yes..it reboots....I go to the info screen..hours are still the same low number...and it says External Storage is connected and gives the model number of the expander...and then the message comes up saying it sees a dvr expander ....do you want to use it....and of course...no luck...
I removed all wires...powered down...followed the directions exactly...no luck..any advice for this new problem?
Thanks again in advance.

Ken
Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #1904
retired_guy

Would like to report that the Samsung 1TB EcoGreen drive is working fine for me in my HD. Very quiet and a good deal at $99. Only problem I had was an initial gray screen at power on but I rebooted and everything has worked well since.
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #1905
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
Would like to report that the Samsung 1TB EcoGreen drive is working fine for me in my HD. Very quiet and a good deal at $99. Only problem I had was an initial gray screen at power on but I rebooted and everything has worked well since.
Nice to hear. Thanks for reporting back. (Even though it may not sit well for some of us that paid $269 or more for our 1TB drives about a year ago )
Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #1906
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantownbeanie View Post
That did it. THanks.

New problem...Connected MY tivo verified DVR Expander....keeps rebooting...says it sees the storage would you like to use it? I say yes..it reboots....I go to the info screen..hours are still the same low number...and it says External Storage is connected and gives the model number of the expander...and then the message comes up saying it sees a dvr expander ....do you want to use it....and of course...no luck...
I removed all wires...powered down...followed the directions exactly...no luck..any advice for this new problem?
Thanks again in advance.

Ken
Glad it worked for you.

I know that you said that you had a 750G in the TivoHD originally. I am assuming that you put the original 160G back in, or did you put another larger drive in? If you put a different drive in, you will need to marry the external drive with the internal drive using winMFS instead of just hooking it to the tivo.

I have heard others report issues with what esata cable was used to connect the external drive to the Tivo. The one that seems to be most well loved is a SIIG cable (see recommendations at the beginning of this thread).

Jason
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #1907
Beantownbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Glad it worked for you.

I know that you said that you had a 750G in the TivoHD originally. I am assuming that you put the original 160G back in, or did you put another larger drive in? If you put a different drive in, you will need to marry the external drive with the internal drive using winMFS instead of just hooking it to the tivo.

I have heard others report issues with what esata cable was used to connect the external drive to the Tivo. The one that seems to be most well loved is a SIIG cable (see recommendations at the beginning of this thread).

Jason
Ah..Ok..I have a drive in mine that is larger than the original...So even though I have the approved drive..>I must once again marry it to the Tivo HD drive using win mfs...like I did the first one that caused all the reboots...

Originally I had...Upgraded drive inside with a mfs married seagate 750 on the outside....took that off...but left the upgraded drive inside....then tried to add the my dvr expander because its "approved" with hopes of no reboots...

So once again I have to crack the case open and connect it all to my PC..its been so long..will have to read up on it again. LOL Thanks for your time and information.....
Ken
Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #1908
GregComeLately

Ok, I'm making my second attempt at upgrading my internal S3 hard drive right now. Using a laptop this time (eMachines desktop tried & failed with last time), with a dual "eSATA CardBus" installed/slid into one of the available (express?) side slots of the laptop. I've got the two hard drives (a new Samsung EcoGreen 1TB and the original 250GB) plugged in to this eSATA CardBus via a pair of eSATA cables.

I was going to try and run diagnostics on the new drive before I got started with the MFScopy procedure, but I got sidetracked and forgot about it.. hopefully I can do that after the mfscopy procedure, if that's still a good idea.

On to the upgrade - I'm probably an idiot since nobody else seemed confused by them, but the instructions specific to doing the internal drive upgrade with saving existing recordings on page one of this thread left me confused in a few spots. So I bailed, googling to find these mfscopy upgrade instructions from Engadgethd instead, which have been easier for me to follow.

So I'm about half way through the upgrade. 13 hours of existing programming being transferred over to the new drive as I type. By my estimation, it will take an hour and 45 minutes to complete the transfer. In other words, still plenty of time for things to go terribly wrong!

Last edited by GregComeLately : 11-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #1909
Xirtam717

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum I found it a couple of weeks ago after I looked at the back of my TiVo and saw that external storage port. Well I just hooked up a 1TB Fantom GForce drive. The TiVo recognized it right away. I ordered if from newegg for $130, model GF1000EU. So far so good. I'll report back if I have any problems.
Xirtam717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #1910
retired_guy

Just had to do a hard reboot of my Samsung EcoGreen HD system and sorry to say I got a bad case of the gray screen hang as well as one power on hang. After about five or six hard reboots, I got past the problem and the system is running fine again. Soft reboots don't seem to cause any problems. But with the problem I'm now seeing along with similar problems from several other users, this drive appears to be too much of a crapshoot and I don't think anyone should use it as an internal HD drive unless someone figures out how to get around the hard power on problem. Sorry to have to report this.

Note: It's now 2/22/09 and I've been running with a UPS system for the past four months or so. I've had no problems with the drive at all and have done three hard reboots without a problem. My UPS indicates that my wall voltage is 123V and the UPS clips that back to 120V as well as reshaping the power signal. That apparently was enough to let my HD work with the Samsung drive without problems, since before I was failing maybe 40% of the time when rebooting.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime

Last edited by retired_guy : 02-22-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: UPS system fixed my problems
Old 11-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #1911
DallasFlier
HONESTY is nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nice to hear. Thanks for reporting back. (Even though it may not sit well for some of us that paid $269 or more for our 1TB drives about a year ago )
I'm sure you already know this Rich, but in computers there's one thing pretty well guaranteed. Whatever you buy today will be available in a few months for less, and/or something bigger and faster will be available for no more.

I've come to the conclusion there really isn't a right or wrong time to buy. Just know in advance that if you wait 6 or 12 months, you'll always be able to buy the same thing cheaper - but you've been able to enjoy it for the last year, take satisfaction in that.

The first hard drive I ever bought was to upgrade a dual-floppy CP/M system - too many years ago. It was a 5 MB drive (no, that's not a typo!) If I remember right, I found a killer deal and only paid $300 or so for it. That was great considering I had gotten a killer deal about a year before that on a pair of double density, double sided Shugart 8" floppy drives - 512K of storage on a single floppy, for only $250/drive!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #1912
ccrider2

Ah...The good ol days ... $4600 for 386 25Mhz system w/dot matrix printer.

ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #1913
richsadams

Well...we lived in a shoebox and could only dream about a dot matrix printer.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #1914
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Ah...The good ol days ... $4600 for 386 25Mhz system w/dot matrix printer.
Don't leave out the 40 MB drive!
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #1915
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
...a pair of double density, double sided Shugart 8" floppy drives - 512K of storage on a single floppy, for only $250/drive!
DallasFlier wins the I remember when contest.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #1916
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Just had to do a hard reboot of my Samsung EcoGreen HD system and sorry to say I got a bad case of the gray screen hang as well as one power on hang. After about five or six hard reboots, I got past the problem and the system is running fine again. Soft reboots don't seem to cause any problems. But with the problem I'm now seeing along with similar problems from several other users, this drive appears to be too much of a crapshoot and I don't think anyone should use it as an internal HD drive unless someone figures out how to get around the hard power on problem. Sorry to have to report this.
Thanks for that datapoint. That is how we determine what works best. You mention that others have reported the same problem. Were those problems reported here or at some other site?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #1917
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xirtam717 View Post
Hi everybody. I am new to this forum I found it a couple of weeks ago after I looked at the back of my TiVo and saw that external storage port. Well I just hooked up a 1TB Fantom GForce drive. The TiVo recognized it right away. I ordered if from newegg for $130, model GF1000EU. So far so good. I'll report back if I have any problems.
You are fortunate you have the original TiVo S3 which has eSATA plug'n'play capability with most external drives without having to buy the official but limited 500GB one as with the TiVo HD model. Yes, definitely keep us posted on reliability. And welcome to TCF!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #1918
retired_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Thanks for that datapoint. That is how we determine what works best. You mention that others have reported the same problem. Were those problems reported here or at some other site?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=408190
Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #1919
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the link...I missed that thread.

Reports of problems crop at this post and afterward. I only count two others that had the "grey screen" issue. If it had only happened once I'd call it a singular event (faulty drive, cable, etc.) but three separate incidents with the same symptoms is cause for alarm.

Your "too slow to come up to speed" boot theory is as good as any I can think of. It sounds like once they are running things are good. Since a soft reboot works the only time this may be a problem would be during a power failure. If TiVo is connected to a UPS things s/b okay (as long as the power outage isn't longer than the UPS can handle).

However I agree that until this is sorted out I think bkdtv might need to add the Samsung Spinpoint "Green" 1TB hard drive to those that are not recommended.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #1920
retired_guy

My personal experience is that I have to do a "hard boot" more often to recover from a variety of software and other unknown problems than occur for power failures. So I don't think that a UPS system would really fix the problem for most. There have not been any examples of the problem with S3 systems so that for the time being it appears it's only the HD where the Samsung EcoGreen 1TB drive is questionable.

If it's really true that a slow power up of the drive is the problem, TiVo could probably make a small timing change to their boot software to fix the problem. Wish they would; the Samsung drive is very quiet, low power consuming and cost effective and would could possibly be a better option for them in the XL system than the current drive they're using (I'm assuming they use a WD drive now).