TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #1861
Skyhawk85u

Just to add to the thead, I upgraded my THD this morning to a WD10EVCS 1 TB drive. Took less than an hour, I think, with WinMFS which makes it almost completely brainless. Way easier than the extra drive I installed in my Series 1 8 years ago! 144 HD and 1367 SD now. Ahhhh....
Skyhawk85u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #1862
Joe3

I'm still not clear on this. Can I upgrade the internal hard drive without it affecting the external drive thus keeping all my recordings using the MFSLive Linux Boot CD?

Last edited by Joe3 : 10-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #1863
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Well...loud and expensive come to mind.

The model you're looking at (or have): Idle 2.8 bels, seek 3.7 bels. By comparison this Seagate drive is quieter (2.5 and 2.9 bels) and costs less at Amazon.com or Newegg.com. (It's also part of Seagate's new eco-friendly line similar to WD's GP drives.) 3.7 bels will be very noisy and you cannot adjust the acoustics on Seagate drives.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Seagate man from way back, but there's no need to spend extra for features TiVo can't use and end up with the sound of a thrashing machine coming out of your nice TiVo. Can you return it?
I'm also looking for a drive for my S3. Both of these drives are the same aren't they? Or am I missing something?

They're both seem to have the same Seagate number ST31000340AS.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST3100...4829671&sr=8-2

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...471&lid=912336

What do you think?

I just ordered the one from Dell, hope I didn't make a mistake. Got a good deal with a coupon code ?2WJ$?FX3J9?WM [Exp 10/29] + $0 shipping = $103

Chris
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #1864
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
I'm also looking for a drive for my S3. Both of these drives are the same aren't they? Or am I missing something?

They're both seem to have the same Seagate number ST31000340AS.
Ah, my mistake. I hadn't looked at the model number on the Dell site. When I looked up the specs on Seagate's site for the "NCQ" model I came up with specs for the 750GB drive which had the loud acoustic numbers. So you are correct, they are showing the same model number. I have to get to bed earlier.

The drive is still a bit noisy by comparison to WD's GP WD10EVCS drive though. (I can barely hear ours when I have my ear right on the TiVo case.) Seagate specs show the idle acoustics for the ST31000340AS to be 2.9 bels idle and 3.2 bels seek. That's certainly better than 3.7 bels! But it's a tad more than WD's 2.4 and 2.5 bels. If it's not going to be in a bedroom I'm sure it'll be fine. Seagate's are great drives so it should still be a good investment...and that's a great price!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #1865
jlib
Lean Forward

Seagate has very limited choices in the 1TB class. The Barracuda 7200.11 series of desktop drives which that drive is a member have much better acoustics than the notorius 7200.10 series but since the acoustics on Seagates cannot be adjusted they remain non-competitive as far as seek acoustics go (more important than pure seek performance in the TiVo). Some users here have reported that the default acoustic setting is acceptable so we probably can't make a blanket rejection as with the previous generation Seagate. You will have to determine for yourself if it is at an acceptable level. I wonder why they never made a 1TB DB35 with the intentionally detuned seek?

Also NCQ just means Native Command Queuing, a SCSI-like feature which all SATA drives have.

Last edited by jlib : 10-24-2008 at 05:35 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #1866
ccrider2

Quote:
Ah, my mistake. I hadn't looked at the model number on the Dell site. When I looked up the specs on Seagate's site for the "NCQ" model I came up with specs for the 750GB drive which had the loud acoustic numbers. So you are correct, they are showing the same model number. I have to get to bed earlier.
Rich
Thanks for clearing that up.
I was worried I bought another "SPARE" drive.

While I've got you. What's your opinion on "Supersize"? I realize that it gives you more space, but can there be a down side as far as compatibility goes? I've read that TiVo uses that space for something, can't remember what. Seems like everyone uses Supersize, so why is it an option?

Thanks Again,
Chris
Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #1867
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
What's your opinion on "Supersize"? I realize that it gives you more space, but can there be a down side as far as compatibility goes? I've read that TiVo uses that space for something, can't remember what. Seems like everyone uses Supersize, so why is it an option? Thanks Again,
Chris
Hey Chris. Supersize away! MFS Supersize frees up extra space reserved for storing tivoclips; the advertising videos that are downloaded. AFAIK there's no downside to Supersizing. (The clips still download). You'd have to ask Spike over at MFSlive.org as to why it's an option...likely something to do with partitions, script conflicts or some such stuff.

Enjoy all of that new real estate!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #1868
hunts

Quote:
Well...loud and expensive come to mind.

The model you're looking at (or have): Idle 2.8 bels, seek 3.7 bels. By comparison this Seagate drive is quieter (2.5 and 2.9 bels) and costs less at Amazon.com or Newegg.com. (It's also part of Seagate's new eco-friendly line similar to WD's GP drives.) 3.7 bels will be very noisy and you cannot adjust the acoustics on Seagate drives.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Seagate man from way back, but there's no need to spend extra for features TiVo can't use and end up with the sound of a thrashing machine coming out of your nice TiVo. Can you return it?
Well I didn't exactly pay the full $140 for it. more like $110 shipped including tax after the coupon. If it really is too loud for the tivo, in an external SATA case for back-up it goes!
hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:30 AM   #1869
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts View Post
Well I didn't exactly pay the full $140 for it. more like $110 shipped including tax after the coupon. If it really is too loud for the tivo, in an external SATA case for back-up it goes!
Per my correction post above it shouldn't be too bad. Not "whisper quiet" but more than acceptable I would think. I need a new external for one of my computers so I think I might jump on one myself at $104...it eclipses the 750GB drives for $$ per gig now. Sweet!

It should work fine. Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #1870
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
While we're on the subject of good HD deals... here's one I just got for a PowerMac tower... $95 after Mail In Rebate

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 0A35155 1TB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Would that be good for a TiVo?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #1871
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
While we're on the subject of good HD deals... here's one I just got for a PowerMac tower... $95 after Mail In Rebate

I have been using one in an external Antec MX-1 case on my S3 for over a year.

Of course, since I got the drive when it was first released, it cost me close to $600.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #1872
thomaslue

Quote:
Unfortunately if it's the drive you'll need to properly divorce it (just plug TiVo back in and follow the screen instructions) which will lose all of your recordings since it was attached. Since the drive still works you can reconnect it and transfer them to another TiVo via MRV or to your PC (if the recordings aren't copy protected) with TiVo Desktop. Hopefully it's just the fan that needs a little attention.
It seems to be the fan in the Antec MX-1.
I am doing an "advanced RMA" with Antec: I order a new enclosure (submitting the RMA number) and I keep the bad enclosure until the new enclosure arrives. Then I do the switch and return the bad enclosure and get reimbursed for the new enclosure and the shipping.

I'll let you know how it goes.
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #1873
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
It seems to be the fan in the Antec MX-1.
I am doing an "advanced RMA" with Antec: I order a new enclosure (submitting the RMA number) and I keep the bad enclosure until the new enclosure arrives. Then I do the switch and return the bad enclosure and get reimbursed for the new enclosure and the shipping.

I'll let you know how it goes.
That's good news if you're able to just swap the drive out so you can keep your recordings.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #1874
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

I don't have any personal experience to share but Hitachi drives generally receive positive reviews from the forum members using them. Here are the specs...so it appears that it would be a pretty good option. The only thing of concern that I noticed is this item under the "Overview" tab:

Quote:
Reduced power idle modes
Unique to Hitachi drives, the Deskstar 7K1000 features three advanced low-power idle modes – active, unload and low-power. Together, they reduce power consumption at the drive level up to 20%, optimize non-operational latency and lower drive temperature for cooler system operation.
That's a firmware bit and I'm guessing it wouldn't come into play with TiVo as it never goes into "idle" mode. AFAIK no one here has ever said anything about it however if it turns out to be a problem let us know.

The seek acoustics are not "whisper quiet" but if that's not a concern, it would seem to be acceptable at 3 bels and you may be able to adjust them down. Let us know if you can.

Happy upgrading!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #1875
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Ignore post. Found info finally on 1st page.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #1876
richsadams

Troubleshooting eSATA Drive Issues

A member that had and cured problems with a WD My DVR Expander posted some good information on another thread that might be helpful in isolating problems, specifically hard drive issues (internal and/or external) so I thought I'd post/link it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksTiVo View Post
BTW, during my conversation with TiVo tech support, I confirmed with him that when checking the channel strength, the TiVo bypasses the buffer and hard drive. (That is why you get a warning message that any recordings will be interrupted when doing the test.) Since during the channel checks there was no stuttering, it gave me a clue that it was possibly the external hard drive.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #1877
GregComeLately

I Am At A Loss. I Have The Upgrade Blues.

Ok, I attempted to do the internal drive upgrade on my S3 and I ran into a problem. I'm wondering if there is something obvious that I am missing.

STEPS TAKEN: I pulled the original drive from my Tivo S3, lined it up side by side with the new replacement 1TB drive, positioned both next to my (turned off) 3 year old eMachines XP Home computer.

I opened my computer case, which has two SATA connectors on the motherboard, neither being used. I connected each drive to a respective SATA connector with a SATA cable, used to attach a SATA HD internally within a computer (as opposed to an eSATA cable - I assume that I can use SATA cables for these attachments, or should I have been using eSATA cables?).

I fired up the computer and ran the mfscopy upgrade software, but couldn't choose/click on the second drive in the software. Then I noticed that my original Tivo drive wasn't spinning/powered on, which I assume is why I couldn't choose it in the drive mfscopy upgrade software. So I proceeded to go through several cycles of turning the computer off, switching SATA cables around, trying four different ones in total, always making sure they were tightly attached, then turning the computer back on. Still nothing. The original Tivo drive would not power up.

I also tried switching the drives around to use the alternate SATA connection just in case one of these motherboard SATA connectors turned out to be faulty. But with all these various attempts, the new 1TB drive would always power up, but the original Tivo drive never would.

At that point, I thought, "Oh, Great! I must have fried the original hard drive in the process of removing it from the Tivo case!!". What else could it possibly be?

Fearing the worst, I returned the original drive to the Tivo case, re-attached the cables and fired my S3 Tivo back up, hoping that it would work and all my existing recordings would still be there. I waited with dread throughout the Tivo reboot process. And.. everything was fine. The drive was still working, all the recordings were still there and everything was working properly.

I don't get it. WHAT WENT WRONG!?!?! I thought this process was supposed to be relatively easy!
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #1878
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
I don't get it. WHAT WENT WRONG!?!?! I thought this process was supposed to be relatively easy!
Are you plugging in the power cable to the harddrive as well as the sata cable? The cable in the S3 has both the sata and power in one harness. (Some special WD connect thingie.) That is not the norm.

The original 250GB harddrive has both the newer SATA power plug and the older style Molex plug for power (only use one, not both!). Does your PC have the appropriate power plug? Some PC don't have the newer power harness, just the older Molex type. There are adapters you can buy.

Molex

Newer SATA power

Also, sometimes you have to enabled the SATA ports in the BIOS. Although, if they have power they should feel warm to the touch and spinning inside even w/o the SATA port enabled.

I also wonder if your eMachine's power supply is not beefy enough to run two more attached drives. How many watts is it? Seems unlikely, but who knows?

Last edited by greg_burns : 10-29-2008 at 06:39 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #1879
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
Ok, I attempted to do the internal drive upgrade on my S3 and I ran into a problem. I'm wondering if there is something obvious that I am missing. <snip>
Greg went exactly where I was going to go. It sounds like you just don't have power running to your TiVo drive. I'm guessing you're using a SATA cable without a power supply to connect the TiVo drive to your computer...which is fine. But you'll need to get power to the TiVo drive using the molex plug (pictured in Greg's post).

You have a couple of choices for power. Most PC power supplies come with an "extra" molex power plug. If so you can use that for your TiVo hard drive. Or if you have a CD ROM or DVD drive you should be able to unplug the molex power connector from either and plug it into your TiVo drive. Or you can use a simple molex "Y" adapter. Unplug the power connector from your PC's hard drive and use that as the input for the "Y" connector.

Hope that helps! (Hope it's that simple...probably is )

Last edited by richsadams : 10-29-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #1880
vstone

On one PC that I have (a gateway) one of the molex connections is really not fully powered because of a intermediate patch cord/harness designed to power a fan.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #1881
Joe3

Thinking and hesitant about internal upgrade to 1TB.

Did anyone have any problems with upgrading/changing the Series 3 built-in and linking it back to the existing external drive?

Did you suffer the loss of your recordings?

Did you give up the Plug and Play feature?

Did the upgrading prevent the normal linking to the external drive after freezes and subsequent reboots?

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #1882
ccrider2

Quote:
Hey Chris. Supersize away! MFS Supersize frees up extra space reserved for storing tivoclips; the advertising videos that are downloaded. AFAIK there's no downside to Supersizing. (The clips still download). You'd have to ask Spike over at MFSlive.org as to why it's an option...likely something to do with partitions, script conflicts or some such stuff.

Enjoy all of that new real estate!
Seagate ST31000340AS Installed, Supersized, 131 HD hours, so far so good. I can't even hear the thing run.
Of coarse I spent 31 years of my life in a noisy GM plant.

The whole process was rather straight-forward, once I got the PNY SATA card in the 1Ghz P3 to see the TiVo drive. I first had both drives installed in "Metal Gear" external boxes on the PNY e-sata ports, winmfs saw the new drive but not the TiVo drive. Tried swapping the drives, thinking that a box or port was bad...the problem moved with the swap.
My solution:
The PNY card has two internal SATA ports. I reconfigured the PNY card to use one of those for the TiVo drive, and it worked. Like the MFS sw doesn't like to see an internal TiVo drive on an e-sata port, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, all seems well, and I'm HAPPY!

Chris
Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #1883
GregComeLately

Thanks for your typically excellent feedback, Greg & Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Are you plugging in the power cable to the harddrive as well as the sata cable? The cable in the S3 has both the sata and power in one harness. (Some special WD connect thingie.) That is not the norm.

.... Some PC don't have the newer power harness, just the older Molex type. There are adapters you can buy.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I HAD plugged both drives in to my computer power supply (a replacement Antec Seasonic-made power supply I installed about 6 months ago, not the original generic, questionable quality one it came with), along with plugging in a separate sata cable for each.

Quote:

.... Some PC don't have the newer power harness, just the older Molex type. There are adapters you can buy.
I attached both drives via the extra molex connectors available with the power supply. Are you saying that the molex type of connectors won't work?

I tried a few of them (molex connectors on the Antec PS), including the one which was working for the new replacement drive, just in case the one I attached to the original Tivo drive was defective. None of these attempts got the original Tivo drive to power up either, but the intended replacement drive powered up with any molex connector I tried. perplexing.

Quote:
...... Also, sometimes you have to enabled the SATA ports in the BIOS. Although, if they have power they should feel warm to the touch and spinning inside even w/o the SATA port enabled.
That's why I didn't even get as far as looking into the BIOS question. The original Tivo drive wouldn't ever power up for me, no matter which molex connector, sata cable (4 tried) or sata motherboard connection (2 total, both tried) combination I attempted. But with the intended replacement drive, all of these same connections that had previously failed with the original drive ALWAYS managed to work for me, i.e., both power up and show up in the mfstools software.

Quote:
I'm guessing you're using a SATA cable without a power supply to connect the TiVo drive to your computer...which is fine. But you'll need to get power to the TiVo drive using the molex plug (pictured in Greg's post).
Yep, I tried a couple different versions of that and another type of sata cable; a non-locking blue one and a pink locking style version, both from monoprice.

Unless someone chimes in with some other ideas, I guess I'm going to have to give it another try, hoping that I somehow managed to overlook something. I just don't see how though.

My backup plan: I now have access to a second computer, a Lenovo laptop. Unfortunately, I am going to have to pick up a dual sata laptop express card to plug into it, just to be prepared should the desktop computer method not work again. It could be a waste of time/money, but I will need to be prepared with this alternative method of doing the upgrade, which I assume would work, should my second attempt with my desktop computer fail again.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #1884
GregComeLately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post

Did anyone have any problems with upgrading/changing the Series 3 built-in and linking it back to the existing external drive?

Did the upgrading prevent the normal linking to the external drive after freezes and subsequent reboots?

Thanks.
Well for the seeming vast majority, using the recommended method/software described throughout this thread, everything goes without a hitch with respect to all of your concerns.

The one thing I noticed as being a problem with the instructions (page one of this thread, about half way down the page for instructions pertaining to replacement of original drive) is the lack of explanation/pictures of how to remove the original Tivo drive. I had to google the info because once I cracked open the case, it wasn't immediately obvious to me which set of screws I had to remove to get the hard drive out. Then the combo power/data harness connected to the drive threw me off too. It was connected so very tightly that I began to think that I was doing something wrong and would damage something if I kept pulling on it.

I eventually found a picture by picture description of the removal process which gave me more confidence about how to proceed. Sorry, don't remember the link.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #1885
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks.
There's no need to be nervous IMHO...upgrading is quite simple and almost always works without fail.

- Not sure what you mean in your first question. I had no problems with my Series3 1TB upgrade if that helps. And as Mr. ComeLately said earlier, there are many, many folks here that have performed this upgrade for over a year now without any problems.

- No loss of recordings if you follow the proper winMFS directions. That said, based on your second question, it sounds like you have an eSATA drive. If that's the case you should plan on losing all of your recordings made since the eSATA drive was connected unless you want to go through a fairly complicated linux boot disk copy process to save everything. If you have another TiVo you can use MRV to transfer recordings you want to save. Or you can use TiVo DeskTop to move them to your PC (if they aren't copy protected).

- I did give up the plug and pray eSATA feature. I used to have an eSATA drive connected, but I opted to just upgrade the internal drive because 1TB gave me more than enough recording space (I save things I want to keep on my computer and/or edit and burn them to a DVD). But I can always go back and marry an eSATA drive to my 1TB drive with a couple of clicks of the same program I used to upgrade the internal drive. If you have an operating eSATA drive now, you can marry it to your internal drive at the same time as you do your internal upgrade and use both right away.

- It sounds like you're having freeze/reboot problems and you're attributing them to the internal drive. To be sure that's the case and since you're thinking about upgrading the internal drive, I would disconnect the eSATA drive and properly divorce it (unplug TiVo and the eSATA drive > disconnect the eSATA drive from TiVo > plug TiVo back in and follow the on-screen instructions). If TiVo runs fine I'd troubleshoot the eSATA drive before making the upgrade. If it still has freeze/reboot problems without the eSATA drive a number of people have reported that replacing their hard drive fixed them but there's no guarantee of course as something else may be causing the issues. NOTE: If you divorce your eSATA drive you will lose all recordings made since it was connected.

In any case, if you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to your computer and using a simple copying program, you shouldn't be nervous about upgrading.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #1886
Joe3

Thanks guys!

The orig. HD and 750 Seagate Pro external gives me 1TB and I would hate to give up all those recording and start over. Off loading High Deff to the laptop and external storage is like watching grass grow as far as transfer speed. I will have to wait for HD problems or a tool that could do the total job.

Last edited by Joe3 : 10-31-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #1887
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks guys!

The orig. HD and 750 Seagate Pro external gives me 1TB and I would hate to give up all those recording and start over. Off loading High Deff to the lab top and external storage is like watching grass grow as far as transfer speed. I will have to wait for HD problems or a tool that could do the total job.
Sounds good. If you're not having any issues and the space you have meets your needs, then I agree that there's really no need to make any changes.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #1888
Imhof

Question Problem adding second drive

HI

I just tried to add a WD 500GB esata drive to my TIVO S3. I connected both drives to my compter via Esata to USB devices and ran the WINMFS V9.2 application. I was able to select both drives and then run the MFSADD tool. Program stated it was successful. When I put Tivo back together and power it up it just sits in the start up screen and then every now and then reboots. If I boot up the Tivo without the second drive attached, Tivo brings up a screen telling me it can't find the second drive and without this it cannot operate. I have tried the process several times with no luck.

Has anyone ran into this? Know a fix?
Imhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #1889
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhof View Post
HI

I just tried to add a WD 500GB esata drive to my TIVO S3. I connected both drives to my compter via Esata to USB devices and ran the WINMFS V9.2 application. I was able to select both drives and then run the MFSADD tool. Program stated it was successful. When I put Tivo back together and power it up it just sits in the start up screen and then every now and then reboots. If I boot up the Tivo without the second drive attached, Tivo brings up a screen telling me it can't find the second drive and without this it cannot operate. I have tried the process several times with no luck.

Has anyone ran into this? Know a fix?
Welcome to the forum but sorry it's under not so great circumstances. A couple of quick questions about what you're trying to do...

Before trying to add the new eSATA drive had you upgraded the internal drive previously?

When you say it sits at the "start up screen" do you mean the "powering up" screen or the "just a few minutes more" screen?

I'm not doubting you, but AFAIK there isn't a screen that says TiVo "can't find the second drive and without this it cannot operate." Do you mean the "hard drive missing" screen comes up when you start TiVo without the external drive? If so, did you follow the instructions? (Press thumbs down three times and then press "Enter") That should cause TiVo to reboot and go through a process that may take a little time and either boot up or reboot once more and then start normally.

Which WD drive (model number) are you trying to use?

What enclosure and cable are you trying to use?

Answers to these questions and any other information you can give will be helpful. Bottom line is we/you should be able to get it to work. Worst case is that you may have to reimage the internal drive with Instant Cake but whatever happens it should come back to life with a little help.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-01-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #1890
Imhof

Quote:
Welcome to the forum but sorry it's under not so great circumstances. A couple of quick questions about what you're trying to do...

Before trying to add the new eSATA drive had you upgraded the internal drive previously?

When you say it sits at the "start up screen" do you mean the "powering up" screen or the "just a few minutes more" screen?

I'm not doubting you, but AFAIK there isn't a screen that says TiVo "can't find the second drive and without this it cannot operate." Do you mean the "hard drive missing" screen comes up when you start TiVo without the external drive? If so, did you follow the instructions? (Press thumbs down three times and then press "Enter") That should cause TiVo to reboot and go through a process that may take a little time and either boot up or reboot once more and then start normally.

Which WD drive (model number) are you trying to use?

What enclosure and cable are you trying to use?

Answers to these questions and any other information you can give will be helpful. Bottom line is we/you should be able to get it to work. Worst case is that you may have to reimage the internal drive with Instant Cake but whatever happens it should come back to life with a little help.

Thanks the response.

The drive inside my TIVO box is original and I had not made any modifications to it until I tried to add the second drive.

The second Drive is a WD500H1CS-00 It is an external drive and I am using the enclosure it came with.

I'm not exactly sure which cable I am using, a friend of mine ordered it for me, but I believe it was listed on this forum as one of the cables that works with TIVO.

After doing the add with the second drive plugged in, the TIVO sits in the " powering up" screen and then every couple mins resets itself.

If I unplug the drive, the tivo will go into the "hard drive missing" screen. I am able to follow the instructions and get the TIVO back online without the second drive (sorry for the confusion on this one).

I was also able to reconnect both drives to my computer and use the divorce function to restore the internal drive.

I would love to get this working, so any suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks
Imhof is offline   Reply With Quote