TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #1831
rjspring

Smile Newegg 1GB WD10EACS

Installed into my Tivo HD a week and a half ago, no issues.

Moved 100GB of shows from my old Tivo Series 2 DT to it (took five days) and still going strong.

Just had cablecards installed from cable company installed yesterday (cable tech had never done a Tivo before, luckily I read through these forums and all other instructions I could get my hands on) and I'm on cloud nine.

Long live Tivo!

I have a second Tivo HD I'll probably be upgrading in the next month or so with the same drive - now $129.99 at Newegg.
rjspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #1832
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjspring View Post
Installed into my Tivo HD a week and a half ago, no issues.

Moved 100GB of shows from my old Tivo Series 2 DT to it (took five days) and still going strong.
Sweet! AFAIK you're the first one to report moving programs from a Series2 to a TiVo HD. Well done! I'm guessing you accomplished that using TiVo Desktop? But if you did it using WinMFS that would make you a new "TiVo Pioneer" of sorts.

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #1833
rjspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sweet! AFAIK you're the first one to report moving programs from a Series2 to a TiVo HD. Well done! I'm guessing you accomplished that using TiVo Desktop? But if you did it using WinMFS that would make you a new "TiVo Pioneer" of sorts.

Enjoy!
Nope, just Tivo to Tivo transfers (I activated both, switched out the series 2 after the shows were transferred.).
rjspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #1834
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjspring View Post
Nope, just Tivo to Tivo transfers (I activated both, switched out the series 2 after the shows were transferred.).
Ah, MRV...got it. Still nice.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #1835
neochick

I have already added a My DVR Expander to my Tivo HD (been attached a long while, full). I want to upgrade the internal TivoHD drive to 1tb (and keep the original as a backup) and transfer all of the recordings to the 1tb, and at the same time also transfer the shows on the DVR expander I have now to a New My DVR Expander ... is this possible with WinMFS ?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by neochick : 10-12-2008 at 01:53 PM.
neochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #1836
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The tivo records shows spreading amongst both the internal and the external drives. You disconnect the external and the shows become broken up and you lose all those added since the ext drive was installed.
One option is to transfer all your shows to a PC before you install a new drive and then transfer back afterwards.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #1837
neochick

When I attach my TivoHD internal (sda) and My Expander (sdb) I get the error that I cannot transfer both to one drive (new 1tb)... But can I transfer (all shows) if I attach 2 drives?

I thought If I hook up another My DVR Expander it might work .... (WinMFS)
Tivo Original sda -> New 1TB sda
My Expander old sdb -> My Expander NEW sdb

..there would be 2 drives attached. I was hoping I would not get the error about transferring to one drive (?)

I already have the New 1TB drive but I am deciding if I should put out the funds for the extra MyDVR Expander? Seems like a waste if I cannot directly transfer all programs to both new drives.

Do you mean transfer the shows with Tivo Desktop? The only problem is Digital content is blocked, so that's about 80% of both drives is non-transferable. Is there a way to save all programs with WinMFS onto my PC?

Thanks for you help and suggestions!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #1838
brettatk
Thread Killer

I have a quick question. I waded through several pages of this thread and couldn't find the answer. If I add an esata drive to my Tivo HD (already upgraded to 1TB) nothing will happen to my existing recordings, right? Just wanted to make sure before I do anything.

Also what kind of pricing are people finding for the Antec MX-1 these days? I found the following:

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Antec-MX-...hdaace52464r13

Is this a decent price or can I expect to find this price at other places as well?

Last edited by brettatk : 10-13-2008 at 10:40 AM.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #1839
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I have a quick question. I waded through several pages of this thread and couldn't find the answer. If I add an esata drive to my Tivo HD (already upgraded to 1TB) nothing will happen to my existing recordings, right? Just wanted to make sure before I do anything.

Also what kind of pricing are people finding for the Antec MX-1 these days? I found the following:

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Antec-MX-...hdaace52464r13

Is this a decent price or can I expect to find this price at other places as well?
AFAIK, using winMFS to marry an eSATA drive to your upgraded Tivo HD shouldn't affect the existing recordings at all.

$35.50 is a very good price for the MX-1 (although I don't know the seller's track record). I've seen it as low as $24.95 with a rebate once in a while, but that's a very good price outirght.

Happy upgrading!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #1840
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by neochick View Post
When I attach my TivoHD internal (sda) and My Expander (sdb) I get the error that I cannot transfer both to one drive (new 1tb)... But can I transfer (all shows) if I attach 2 drives? <snip>
Hmmm...that's a good question and I thought you'd have an answer by now. In my mind you can't do what you're hoping to do as TiVo stripes recordings across both drives and since you're changing the size of at least one drive that will be problematic. However if you're up for it and used the dd rescue program it might be possible, but again, the difference in the upgraded drive size may be an issue. Since I've never tried it personally and I'm not sure anyone here has attempted exactly what you'd like to do either I can't say for sure one way or the other...brighter minds will hopefully prevail.

I hadn't thought about it, but I guess I could be in the same situation one day if I wanted to upgrade my upgraded TiVo. This is a good example of planning ahead when you upgrade I guess...do what you expect you might want to do from the beginning unless you're willing to lose your recordings later.

You might want to ask Spike (the creator of winMFS, etc.) over at the MFSLive Forums.

You're correct, you won't be able to transfer your copy-protected recordings to your PC.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #1841
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
When I attach my TivoHD internal (sda) and My Expander (sdb) I get the error that I cannot transfer both to one drive (new 1tb)... But can I transfer (all shows) if I attach 2 drives?

I thought If I hook up another My DVR Expander it might work .... (WinMFS)
Tivo Original sda -> New 1TB sda
My Expander old sdb -> My Expander NEW sdb

..there would be 2 drives attached. I was hoping I would not get the error about transferring to one drive (?)

I already have the New 1TB drive but I am deciding if I should put out the funds for the extra MyDVR Expander? Seems like a waste if I cannot directly transfer all programs to both new drives.

Do you mean transfer the shows with Tivo Desktop? The only problem is Digital content is blocked, so that's about 80% of both drives is non-transferable. Is there a way to save all programs with WinMFS onto my PC?

Thanks for you help and suggestions!
Your best bet will probably to post on MFSLive forum. I don't think what you are trying to do is supported by WinMFS, but spike might have some ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk
Nothing happens to your already recorded programs if you marry an external to an existing drive (I did exactly this when I originally added an external). However, anything recorded after that point will be split between both drives. If you have to divorce the external drive, any recording after the point of marriage will be lost.

**Guess I can't start a post and leave for 45mins before completing . Rich beat me to it**
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #1842
neochick

Quote:
Hmmm...that's a good question and I thought you'd have an answer by now. In my mind you can't do what you're hoping to do as TiVo stripes recordings across both drives and since you're changing the size of at least one drive that will be problematic. However if you're up for it and used the dd rescue program it might be possible, but again, the difference in the upgraded drive size may be an issue. Since I've never tried it personally and I'm not sure anyone here has attempted exactly what you'd like to do either I can't say for sure one way or the other...brighter minds will hopefully prevail.

I hadn't thought about it, but I guess I could be in the same situation one day if I wanted to upgrade my upgraded TiVo. This is a good example of planning ahead when you upgrade I guess...do what you expect you might want to do from the beginning unless you're willing to lose your recordings later.

You might want to ask Spike (the creator of winMFS, etc.) over at the MFSLive Forums.

You're correct, you won't be able to transfer your copy-protected recordings to your PC.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out!

Thanks so much for the reply!!

I do not have much experience with Dos kind of programs (dos commands) and so I do not think I will be brave enough to try Also, I didn't even think of the difference of drive sizes ...that does sound like it would be an issue.. I really appreciate you mentioning it!

I did come up with another idea which might work. I have another TivoHd that I got on sale ($99) when I purchased an LCD recently, I was thinking about selling it.. but maybe I can upgrade it first (thanks for your very good advice ) with the 1TB, and transfer all shows (MRV, old TivoHD and DVR Expander) to the upgraded TivoHD. This way I have a 1TB TivoHD and can keep all the shows from both the old TivoHD and My DVR Expander! Well, it might be a lot of work, but the TivoHD and Expander is full to the max and I would hate to lose it all.

I will inquire with my original question to Spike at the WinMFS Forum. I am very curious if it would work, maybe a braver soul has tried it already..

Oh Yeah, Copy Protection.... arghh

I will post again soon with the info. Thanks again!!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #1843
neochick

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Your best bet will probably to post on MFSLive forum. I don't think what you are trying to do is supported by WinMFS, but spike might have some ideas.
I will post to mfslive!
Thank you!!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #1844
brettatk
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post

Nothing happens to your already recorded programs if you marry an external to an existing drive (I did exactly this when I originally added an external). However, anything recorded after that point will be split between both drives. If you have to divorce the external drive, any recording after the point of marriage will be lost.
Thanks for adding this. I had thought this as well but was not sure. This is probably the only thing that is worrying me about adding the esata drive. Everything has been running smoothly since I upgraded the internal drive last year. I'd hate for something to go wrong after the install and have to remove the drive after a few weeks knowing I'll lose many shows. Did you have any problems after adding the external?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #1845
twm01

I replaced the drive in my HDTivo with a WD10EACS green drive. I now have 144 HD hours and 1367 SD hours according to the system information screen; however this thread shows:

High Definition Standard Definition

eSATA Series3 TiVoHD Series3 TiVoHD
None 32 20 303 180
120GB 47 ? 445 ?
250GB 65 ? ? ?
300GB 71 ? 673 ?
500GB 98 86 927 810
750GB 131 ? 1244 ?
800Gb 138 ? ? ?
1 TB 165 153 1561 ?

Should I have 153 hours of HD as this table shows? Should I be concerned that I did not do the upgrade properly? WinMFS prompted me to use the extra space (supersize), which I did...

Thanks in advance!

Insert witty remark here
twm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #1846
moxie1617

The table values are for the addition of an external drive, not replacement of an internal drive. The values represent the capacity of the original internal drive plus the 1 TB external drive.

144hrs/1367hrs is what has been reported before for an internal upgrade.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #1847
richsadams

Quote:
I have another TivoHd that I got on sale ($99) when I purchased an LCD recently, I was thinking about selling it.. but maybe I can upgrade it first (thanks for your very good advice ) with the 1TB, and transfer all shows (MRV, old TivoHD and DVR Expander) to the upgraded TivoHD.
Well...why didn't you say so?! That sounds like the perfect solution!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #1848
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by twm01 View Post
I replaced the drive in my HDTivo with a WD10EACS green drive. I now have 144 HD hours and 1367 SD hours according to the system information screen; however this thread shows:
Moxie is exactly right. 144HD/1367 is exactly what we have as well. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #1849
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Thanks for adding this. I had thought this as well but was not sure. This is probably the only thing that is worrying me about adding the esata drive. Everything has been running smoothly since I upgraded the internal drive last year. I'd hate for something to go wrong after the install and have to remove the drive after a few weeks knowing I'll lose many shows. Did you have any problems after adding the external?
Well, yeah unfortunately...I added a 2 yr old APRICORN enclosure with a 500G Maxtor drive to one of my TivoHDs (had used to previously with a TWC DVR). It was fine for about a month and a half and then it crapped out on me. My Tivo frozen during a MRV and then rebooted. It then would not recover from the reboot very successfully (I got it to recover a couple of times, but it would reboot if I tried to transfer a show or watch a recorded show.) This behavior was fixed when I divorced the drive and went back to internal only. Luckily, I only lost about 12 shows, so it wasn't a huge deal (I had been keeping up on TV).

Jason
Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #1850
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Oh Yeah, Copy Protection.... arghh

I will post again soon with the info. Thanks again!!
You best bet may be to upgrade your other TivoHD with the 1TB internal and move all of your season passes to that machine. Basically only use your original TivoHD to watch the shows that are copy protected. Once you get through those shows, you can divorce the external and add it to the machine you upgraded with the 1TB drive. The non-copy protected material can, of course, be MRV'd as soon as your other machine is up and running.

Jason
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #1851
twm01

Quote:
Moxie is exactly right. 144HD/1367 is exactly what we have as well. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks for the affirmation guys - I will put it to good use, I can assure you!

Insert witty remark here
twm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #1852
sariemerci

I've read that disconnecting the expansion drive while TiVo is on can cause lots of problems, so I'd like to report on what happened to me when I accidentally did this while moving stuff around: Nothing!

As soon as it happened, TiVo immediately restarted, then told me the drive had been disconnected and it could not run without the drive so please fix it. So I turned off tivo, re-secured the connection, restarted the hard drive, and powered tivo back up. That's it. No lost programs, re-formatting of my extrenal drive, nothing.

My external drive is one the 1TB Fantom GreenDrive with the WD hardware. I've had it for a few weeks now with no issues, with Suggestions actively recording the whole time. Of course I'm moving into winter at home now, so it will be a while before I see how well it holds up in higher temperatures....

Just thought y'all might find that interesting.
sariemerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #1853
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariemerci View Post
I've read that disconnecting the expansion drive while TiVo is on can cause lots of problems <snip>
Thanks for the feedback. The reports regarding "problems" when disconnecting an expansion drive (when TiVo is on or off) center around removing it without properly divorcing it or just removing it permanently (wherein all recordings made since the drive was attached will be lost).

Accidentally disconnecting an eSATA drive won't cause any problems as long as it's properly reattached and TiVo is rebooted as you've outlined.

Glad to hear that your new Fantom drive is doing well!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #1854
thomaslue

Urgent WD10EACS Question - Grinding Sound!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Calvary is a Value Added Reseller (VAR). Western Digital is their Original Equipment Manufactuer (OEM). You can count all the actual drive manufacturers on one hand.
I bought a WD10EACS through the Buy.com deal back in August (see quote below).
I installed it in my Antec MX1 and it has been purring along nicely, recording lots of HD programs with my S3.

But yesterday, it started making a constant grinding sound that is twice as loud as it's usual hum. It seems to still be working and all the movies show up in the Now Playing list, but the sound is worrisome.

YIKES! Please advise! What do I do?

Thanks,
thomaslue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
Buy.com has This $129.99 deal for a 1TB WD GP drive. At least, that's the drive they've been using so far. You can knock the price down further with a 5% coupon to bring the price down to $124 -ish shipped.

There is some talk that they've been using a new 3 platter version of the 1TB drive - model #WD10EACS-006DB0.

The previous was the old 4 platter design we know and love (or not. i.e., us S3 owners) - model #WD10EACS-00ZJB0.

So a bunch of you get this to find out and if it's the new drive version, then install them in your S3's and let us know what happens. I don't ask for much.

thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #1855
thomaslue

Urgent Wd10eacs Question - Grinding Sound!!

One more bit of info:
I notice that if I carefully shift the Antec MX1 in it's cradle, I can sometimes change/reduce the sound it makes.

Is it possible that the problem is with the Antec MX1?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 10-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #1856
jlib
Lean Forward

Since it has a fan you will need to figure out how to isolate the drive sound to determine the source. I don't have an Antec MX-1 so I can't give you any specific advice but I would shut down the TiVo and MX-1, open the case of the MX-1 and then turn on just the MX-1 and see if there is an easy way to disconnect the fan. If it is soldered in you should be OK to jam a pencil into the blades to temporarily stop it. That should allow you to determine noise source.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #1857
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
I bought a WD10EACS through the Buy.com deal back in August (see quote below).
I installed it in my Antec MX1 and it has been purring along nicely, recording lots of HD programs with my S3.

But yesterday, it started making a constant grinding sound that is twice as loud as it's usual hum. It seems to still be working and all the movies show up in the Now Playing list, but the sound is worrisome.

YIKES! Please advise! What do I do?

Thanks,
thomaslue
The fan in my MX-1 was noisy when I first plugged it in (without a drive installed). I pushed and poked and then finally gave the case a bit of a whack on my desk and it quieted down to a light hum and it's been fine since then (although I'm not using it at the moment).

As jlib suggests, unplug TiVo and your MX-1 and disconnect it. Open the MX-1, plug it back in and turn it on. You'll quickly know if it's the fan (under the drive) or the drive itself. If it's the fan you can remove the drive and try to calm it down by physically adjusting it a bit or perhaps using a tiny amount of lubricant. But if that doesn't work Antec is very good about replacing them.

If it's the drive you can get an RMA from WD.

Unfortunately if it's the drive you'll need to properly divorce it (just plug TiVo back in and follow the screen instructions) which will lose all of your recordings since it was attached. Since the drive still works you can reconnect it and transfer them to another TiVo via MRV or to your PC (if the recordings aren't copy protected) with TiVo Desktop. Hopefully it's just the fan that needs a little attention.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-23-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #1858
thomaslue

Thanks guys.

I will do what you suggest and report back.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #1859
hunts

Any thoughts on this drive?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...471&lid=912336

I picked one up and hope to use it on my 2nd S3 Tivo which has the lock-up problems when coax is plugged in.
hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #1860
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts View Post
Well...loud and expensive come to mind.

The model you're looking at (or have): Idle 2.8 bels, seek 3.7 bels. By comparison this Seagate drive is quieter (2.5 and 2.9 bels) and costs less at Amazon.com or Newegg.com. (It's also part of Seagate's new eco-friendly line similar to WD's GP drives.) 3.7 bels will be very noisy and you cannot adjust the acoustics on Seagate drives.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Seagate man from way back, but there's no need to spend extra for features TiVo can't use and end up with the sound of a thrashing machine coming out of your nice TiVo. Can you return it?