TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #1771
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Too bad...wonder why the mfs file system would care what size the drive is? IIRC S3's can't go over 2TB and THD's 2.2TB's or so, so upgrading to a 1.5TB internal seems like it should work. Adding a 1.5TB eSATA to our S3 which already has a 1TB internal probably wouldn't work. Hmmmm. No real need for that much space, but it would be nice to know if it's a drive or TiVo issue. In any case, thanks for trying!
I might be wrong about it not working, or why it won't work, or who may have said it won't work.

Hopefully we'll hear from a few more testers to confirm one way or the other.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #1772
dwit

New Seagate 1.5TB: Expansion Success Report

First report of success. At least here in these forums? Has me wondering what I did wrong. Maybe copying over the newer os?

Post# 305:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=1#post6706852
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 09-24-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #1773
jlib
Lean Forward

Which may have been premature.

Last edited by jlib : 09-25-2008 at 08:22 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #1774
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Which may have been premature.
I saw. Well, at least he got it to boot(at least once).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #1775
DallasFlier
HONESTY is nice...

Quote:
TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings

These instructions are for use under Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista only. Do not use these instructions with previous versions of Windows.

1. Remove the outer case and existing drive using a torx screwdriver in the T10 size. If you don't have one of appropriate length, you can purchase the Star Driver T10 Ampro (9014713) from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.

2. Download WinMFS here.

3. Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and connect the TiVo's built-in SATA drive and your new replacement SATA drive. You can open your computer and connect both with SATA cables, or you can connect them externally using a pair of SATA->USB adapters. Both drives should be connected to your PC at the same time.

If your computer does not already have SATA ports, consider using a PCI SATA controller board. One user reports a 25x increase in data transfer speed by using SATA instead of USB—6 hours to transfer 750GB of data vs. 6 days.

4. Turn on your computer and launch WinMFS. If using Windows Vista, you'll want to launch WinMFS by right-clicking on WinMFS.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator."

5. In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive' and select the two drives you attached. Set 'Drive A' to the original drive. Do not select 'Drive B.

6. In WinMFS, select the 'Backup' option to create a backup. Save the file to your hard drive for backup purposes.

You don't use this now. It's a backup for future use, should anything ever go wrong.

7. In WinMFS, designate the original drive, selected as 'A,' as the Source Drive A and the new drive as Destination Drive A."

8. Select Tools -> Mfscopy to copy the full contents of the old drive -- including all recordings -- to the new.

When using USB->SATA adapters, this copy process can take as long as several days depending on the number of recordings on your original drive. WinMFS does not refresh its GUI during this process, so it may appear to hang, but it is still working as intended. If you want to monitor the progress of WinMFS' copying, use 'Ctrl+Alt-Del' to invoke the Windows Task Manager, then navigate to 'Bytes In' and 'Bytes Out.'

9. After the copy is complete, select Tools-> Mfsadd.

10. Select Tools-> MfsSuperSize -> On.

11. Shutdown your computer and disconnect the drives.

12. Reinstall the internal drive and replace the TiVo's outer case.

13. You're done. Store your original TiVo drive in a safe place.
I confess I didn't read through the entire 60 pages of this thread, so it may have been mentioned before, but the above instructions, if followed exactly, are missing one step, between 9. and 10.

I just upgraded my internal drive using a WD 1TB Green. When I put it back in and booted, it showed 131 HD hours, not 144 as it should. The problem is, in the above instructions, before step 10 you have to go in and select the destination drive first with WinMFS--> File--> Select Drive. Otherwise, you're supersizing the (currently selected) source drive, not the destination drive.

I suspected, and fortunately my SATA and power cables were long enough to just unplug the TiVo cable and plug in the PC cables without removing the drive again. So I plugged it back into the PC, selected the correct drive, supersized and now it reports 144 hours, as it should.

I checked, and the OP hasn't logged in for 3 months or so. If someone could edit the first post where the instructions are at, it would prevent others from running into the issue I did.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #1776
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
I confess I didn't read through the entire 60 pages of this thread, so it may have been mentioned before, but the above instructions, if followed exactly, are missing one step, between 9. and 10. <snip>
Nice catch. I don't recall doing that step after checking the "Supersize" option, but I must have. I think I was using the original winMFS instructions at the time. In any case, hopefully bkdtv is still reading these and can update it.

Thanks for that and enjoy your new found space!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #1777
susani8

Okay, my Fantom GreenDrive 1TB eSATA External Hard Drive arrived yesterday. I connected it to my Series 3 last evening and it connected without a hitch. MUCH easier than the old "kickstart" days! It does indeed have a hard on/off switch and though it doesn't have a fan, it's very well ventilated and the case and stand are all aluminum. It now says I have 165 HD hours available! Yea! I turned the suggestions on and it's been recording almost non-stop since hookup and there is very little disk noise, and only a slight warming of the case. So far, I'm very happy with this purchase!
susani8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #1778
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by susani8 View Post
Okay, my Fantom GreenDrive 1TB eSATA External Hard Drive arrived yesterday. <snip>
Excellent! I'm really glad to hear that it's working out. If you ever get a chance to peek inside, I know a number of folks would be interested in knowing what brand (assuming WD) and model are inside of it.

I have found a good deal more info about Fantom expansion drives and they seem to be a respected brand with good reviews.

Congrats and enjoy!

Oh...keep an eye on your mailbox for your TiVo Pioneer T-shirt!
Old 09-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #1779
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to S3 upgrade discussions, I read everything last night

I just finished my upgrade, I decided late last night to upgrade my S3, and since I had the bug it had to be done RIGHT NOW and I wasn't willing to buy one of the green drives in the FAQ and then have to wait 6+ days to receive it, so I had to use a drive I could buy at BestBuy.

I went to the store and picked up the WD10000LSRTL since I had seen a post by TivoRocks193 that said he used it and it worked fine.

So I buy the drive, I triple checked the model # on the bottom of the packaging.

I come home, rip everything apart, don't pay much attention to the drive.. UNTIL I go to select it. The model # printed on the drive sticker is WD1001FALS - I freaked out!

After some furious searching, I discover that WD1001FALS is the model of the drive and WD10000LSRTL is the designation of the retail kit.

The full model # of the drive was WD1001FALS-00J7B.

Everything works great, I did several soft reboots, did not move recordings.

Z
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #1780
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Thanks to everyone that has contributed to S3 upgrade discussions, I read everything last night

I just finished my upgrade, <snip>
Thanks for the report, the data point on the drive and congratulations!

BTW, I was born with "Gotta do it now" syndrome as well and it's our cross to bear. Stand tall my man, proud and tall.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #1781
Teeps

Quote:
Okay, my Fantom GreenDrive 1TB eSATA External Hard Drive arrived yesterday. I connected it to my Series 3 last evening and it connected without a hitch.

Is this the guy?

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB USB 2.0 and eSATA External Hard Drive - 2 Year Warranty! - GD1000EU

http://www.buy.com/prod/fantom-green...208503758.html
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #1782
susani8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Is this the guy?

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB USB 2.0 and eSATA External Hard Drive - 2 Year Warranty! - GD1000EU

http://www.buy.com/prod/fantom-green...208503758.html
That's the one, comes with a $20 rebate.

Interesting - the tivo lists it as WDS WD10EACS (I wonder if that's what is inside the enclosure). I'm not cracking it open to see, though
Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #1783
richsadams

Quote:

Interesting - the tivo lists it as WDS WD10EACS (I wonder if that's what is inside the enclosure). I'm not cracking it open to see, though
D'oh! Hadn't thought about checking the System Information screen. It does indeed list the actual drive in a Fantom enclosure. Soooo...yes, as I suspected it is in fact a Western Digital WD10EACS GP "green" drive. Mystery solved.

That's actually a very good price with the rebate then, cheaper than a bare drive and you get the eSATA enclosure to boot! Well done.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #1784
richsadams

Quote:

Forgot to ask...did it come with an eSATA cable like the Fantom CSR told you? One of the buy.com reviews from Sept. 2nd said that it didn't come with one (which would impact the price by about an additional $10). TIA
Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #1785
journeyman

Quote:
Forgot to ask...did it come with an eSATA cable like the Fantom CSR told you? One of the buy.com reviews from Sept. 2nd said that it didn't come with one (which would impact the price by about an additional $10). TIA
No, I opened mine - USB cable yes, Esata cable, No.

Ebay seller doing the recommended Siig cable here - comes out to $11.50 for one.

BTW, setup on an original Series 3 (not the later Tivo HD model) went flawlessly. Recognized it, set it up, it's been running good for 3 days now.
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #1786
sariemerci

Quote:
My 1TB Fantom did NOT come with the eSATA cable. Instead, it came with a USB cable and a little note to correcting the manual's references of 'the included eSATA cable' to say 'the eSATA cable'. I suspect that the CSR was reading the manual when he told me it came with one, so it's probably not his fault.... I just ran to the local computer store and bought a cable for $10. I've seen some on Amazon for $6. It's still an excellent deal even after you've bought a cable.

Like susani, I added my drive to my Series 3 without a hitch. I now have 165 hours of HD recording, and thousands of hours of SD. How on earth will I ever pull myself away from the TV?

The drive is not completely silent -- it makes a soft ticking noise when it writes -- but it's not loud or distracting. It doesn't seem to get too hot, but I'm keeping it ouside of my enclosure just to be safe. I have plenty of room behind the thing where it won't be seen and can have just a bit more air circulation... And now that we're "positive" that it's the good WD in a Fantom case, I couldn't be happier with my selection. Or the price -- I got it on buy.com's special ($150 - $20 rebate -$5 new customer coupon = $125).

Go Fantom!
sariemerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #1787
richsadams

Congrats to the new Fantom Pioneers! Hopefully bkdtv will add this one to the "recommended" list of expansion drives.

Based on your glowing recommendations I'm placing my order today!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #1788
GregComeLately

Well, I guess I'm going to be the Samsung HD103UI EcoGreen 1TB guinea pig. Since it's still unknown whether or not the latest incarnations of the WD GP drive will work in a S3 Tivo, I've opted for this new Samsung equivalent.

It appears to be well received in last weeks Toms Hardware comparative review of Samsung 1TB drives, suggesting similar (and in some respects better) low heat, low energy consumption, low noise performance attributes when compared to the WD GP drives.

Ordered it today via NewEgg for $119.99 delivered, plus another 1% ($3) off of that by going thru the livesearch engine. Yes, I could have gone for that other WD GP model which is supposedly geared specifically for use in DVRs, but from my readings here, other than ensuring compatibility with the S3, there was nothing feature-wise to be gained by going that route. And I'd rather pay $117 than $150-ish, especially if there's not likely to be any performance difference. Time will tell in terms of drive stability/longevity. Wish me luck! (for as long as I've been checking in on this thread, this will be my first Tivo upgrade ever! )
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #1789
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
Well, I guess I'm going to be the Samsung HD103UI EcoGreen 1TB guinea pig. <snip>
Nice...and a good price! I've never used them, but I haven't seen anything negative about Samsung drives. Let us know the details, how quiet it is, if you decide to adjust the acoustics, how hot it gets, if it'll wash your car, etc. And of course...if it works! I bet it'll work just fine.

Best of luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #1790
GregComeLately

Thanks, Rich. Of course, I'll report back with some feedback at some point. I hope to get this thing installed before I leave for a two week "business trip" next week (hence, another reason for getting this thing done now as two weeks of program accumulation will overtax my original 250 gig drive).

I'll likely report back after having spent some time with it in use upon my return. Or make that sooner, if I manage to screw something up with the install.

Last edited by GregComeLately : 09-30-2008 at 04:33 AM.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #1791
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
...After some furious searching, I discover that WD1001FALS is the model of the drive and WD10000LSRTL is the designation of the retail kit.

The full model # of the drive was WD1001FALS-00J7B.

Everything works great, I did several soft reboots, did not move recordings.
It should work fine for you then. Thanks for being the pioneer on that model. Note that this is a drive that could really benefit from running the Hitachi Feature Tool to adjust the AAM head seek setting since it is a high-performance full blown 7200RPM drive hence much noisier and hotter than its cousin (at least according to the specs). I haven't heard one in person.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #1792
bkdtv

Quote:
Congrats to the new Fantom Pioneers! Hopefully bkdtv will add this one to the "recommended" list of expansion drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
If someone could edit the first post where the instructions are at, it would prevent others from running into the issue I did.
I haven't been around the forum much lately, so the first post is in dire need of an update.

Any other suggestions for changes?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #1793
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I haven't been around the forum much lately, so the first post is in dire need of an update.

Welcome back! AFAIK those were the only two requests, but someone here may think of something else.

Thanks for taking the time...there are many folks here that appreciate your hard work.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #1794
More_Storage

MfsSuperSize?

I upgraded my internal drive to a 750GB using WinMFS without issue, but neglected to MfsSuperSize the drive.

Does anyone have any experience with running MfsSuperSize on a drive after it is already in use?

The goal is to pull the drive, run MfsSuperSize to get more space without effecting the recordings on the disk.

Thanks in advance...
More_Storage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #1795
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by More_Storage View Post
I upgraded my internal drive to a 750GB using WinMFS without issue, but neglected to MfsSuperSize the drive.

Does anyone have any experience with running MfsSuperSize on a drive after it is already in use?

The goal is to pull the drive, run MfsSuperSize to get more space without effecting the recordings on the disk.

Thanks in advance...
Exactly, and as simple as your last statement:

1. Connect drive to pc. Open winmfs.(Check mfsinfo for capacity info, if desired).
2. Sselect "Supersize".

3. You should get a "pop up" saying drive has been supersized.

4. Check mfsinfo again to verify supersize capacity.

This is simply the last step(that many forget) when doing a truncated backup/restore or a full mfscopy. It can be done later, at any time.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #1796
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post

I know that the Hitachi Deskstar 500G SATA drive will not work as a primary drive in a TiVo HD. I don't think it's on the list of drives kno9wn not to work.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #1797
susani8

Quote:
I haven't checked in for the past couple of days - sorry! But like the others said, my drive did not come with an eSata cord, I already had one from a defunct My DVR Expander (2 months past warrantee of course), so hook-up was immediate and easy. Best $130 I've spent in a while... I picked up a Cavalry 500 gb drive for my first s3 when the kickstart was first disclosed - and, though it continues to work like a champ, it is VERY noisy. It will also freeze up if I turn on the suggestions - it can't take constant writing/erasing. So, since I wanted to really test out the Fantom, I, of course, turned the suggestions on. I have 150 suggestions to date, it's recording almost constantly, and no glitches - if anything it's been quieter (either fewer of the clicking sounds, or I'm getting so used to it I don't hear it anymore), it's in my bedroom and the slight sound doesn't bother me at all. It's still only slightly warm to the touch. So far, testing is coming out positive!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #1798
dwit

Quote:
I haven't checked in for the past couple of days - sorry! But like the others said, my drive did not come with an eSata cord, I already had one from a defunct My DVR Expander (2 months past warrantee of course), so hook-up was immediate and easy. Best $130 I've spent in a while... I picked up a Cavalry 500 gb drive for my first s3 when the kickstart was first disclosed - and, though it continues to work like a champ, it is VERY noisy. It will also freeze up if I turn on the suggestions - it can't take constant writing/erasing. So, since I wanted to really test out the Fantom, I, of course, turned the suggestions on. I have 150 suggestions to date, it's recording almost constantly, and no glitches - if anything it's been quieter (either fewer of the clicking sounds, or I'm getting so used to it I don't hear it anymore), it's in my bedroom and the slight sound doesn't bother me at all. It's still only slightly warm to the touch. So far, testing is coming out positive!
Is that Cavalry drive a WD? If so, it possibly has a 3yr warranty. You can check it at the WD warranty support web site. Just enter the serial number on the bare drive label.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 10-02-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #1799
Teeps

Quote:
D'oh! Hadn't thought about checking the System Information screen. It does indeed list the actual drive in a Fantom enclosure. Soooo...yes, as I suspected it is in fact a Western Digital WD10EACS GP "green" drive. Mystery solved.

That's actually a very good price with the rebate then, cheaper than a bare drive and you get the eSATA enclosure to boot! Well done.
Based on info from this page, I bought a Fantom Drive. I connected it to my PC via the usb port to make sure it powers on and can read/write.
According to the Device manager: there is a WD10EACS-65d6b0 hdd in the enclosure.
And the Fantom Drive company is about 2 miles from my home!
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #1800
susani8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Is that Cavalry drive a WD? If so, it possibly has a 3yr warranty. You can check it at the WD warranty support web site. Just enter the serial number on the bare drive label.
Hmmm - never thought about that - I just live with it. I'll check it out, thanks!