TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #1741
susani8

Fantom GreenDrive 1TB USB eSATA External Hard Drive

Does anyone have experience with the Fantom GreenDrive 1TB USB eSATA External Hard Drive- GD1000EU?

Buy.com has it for $130 today. That seems a great buy to upgrade my series 3. I had the TiVo approved dvr expander and it lasted about a year before completely failing. The Caviar I bought 18 months ago is still going strong - so I'm not too impressed with the "DVR expander is built to be on 24/7, whereas other externals are not and will probably fail much more quickly" argument!

I would like to know how noisy it is, does it connect with the series 3 without issue, etc. It comes in an aluminum heat-dispersing case without a fan (a concern) and it does not indicated what type of on/off switch it has. Anyone like to share their experience with this drive? Thanks!
susani8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #1742
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by susani8 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Fantom GreenDrive 1TB USB eSATA External Hard Drive- GD1000EU? <snip>
AFIK you would join the TiVo Pioneer Club if you connect this drive to your Series 3. You can get it for even less from NewEgg, $119.99 after rebate. I tend to trust newegg.com over buy.com based on a number of posts about bad experiences with buy.com. But others are happy with them and you don't have to wait for the rebate $$$ to show up. Your call. Also, it apparently does not come with an eSATA cable so you'd have to buy one. The recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10.

As far as the drive, there are only a limited amount of hard drive manufacturers and AFAIK, only one making a "green" drive series, Western Digital. My money says it's a WD10EACS in a Fantom case. WD has just upgraded that drive from a four to a three platter and may be getting rid of the older models. Nothing wrong with them though, particularly for use as an eSATA drive for TiVo. The one we have has been flawless for about 9 months now.

The fact that the case doesn't have a fan is of concern, but others here are satisfied with fanless enclosures. Enclosures without fans should have plenty of air circulation and not be placed on or near other heat-generating CE equipment. Also as you mentioned, it needs to have a "hard" on/off switch so it will power back on after a blackout (best to use a UPS, but you never know). I couldn't find any information about that. Here's the manufacturer's contact link: http://store.fantomdrives.com/aboutus.html Maybe you could give them a call if no one else here knows any more about this unit.

Seems like a very good price though plus a two-year warranty Vs the expander's one-year warranty. It's just the "not knowing" anything about it (or the company) that would make me hesitate. $119 or $129 is a good price right now...approaching and passing some of the 750GB $$ per GB pricing. Worst case, you could always send it back and just be out the shipping and probably a restocking fee.

Let us know what you decide...if you're up for joining the TiVo Pioneer Club or not (the T-shirt is worth it alone!)
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #1743
cubbage

Cool Worked for me

I have a Tivo Series3 HD which I bought my wife for xmas (sure way to get gear). Just added a esata enclosure (on sale at Fry's), 1 TB Seagate sata drive and esata cable in August. Immediately assembled the rig, plugged it into Tivo (was on) it informed me that a new drive had been added and did I want it added to the system, my answer was YES. It requested permission to reboot, gave it. The system rebooted and when it was finished (around 6 to 7 minutes) it had added the hard drive to its storage capacity. The enclosure was aluminum inside with a plastic wrapper on the outside. Dont remember the case manufacture but it had a real on/off switch. It seems to always be recording programs of which all I wanted was my season passes not the Tivo suggestions so I turned that off. The drive is not running as much now but I am very happy with the rig. Let some of the passes complete (read not delete) and I will have whole seasons. The drive cannot be heard unless you are standing next to it. I have the drive sitting outside of the cabinet so that is helping to keep the heat down. The whole cost was 199.99. But as happens with high tech Fry's had their external esata 1 TB on sale last weekend for $140.00. Fry's website is outpost.com. Never buy at Fry's unless it is on sale then it is always a great bargain.
cubbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #1744
susani8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Let us know what you decide...if you're up for joining the TiVo Pioneer Club or not (the T-shirt is worth it alone!)
Okay, sign me up - I ordered it and will see how it does...!
susani8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #1745
atlynch
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlynch View Post
#18 States:
--->
Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.
<--

I have a Tivo HD with unmodified original HD, and a MyDVR expander. I'd like to replace the internal drive with the WD10000CSRTL now selling at Fry's for $149. I'd like (ideally) to keep settings and recordings.

1) How do I do this?
2) As far as I can tell, the WD EACS in the WD100000CSRTL is a problem in a Series 3, but works in a TiVoHD. Is this correct?
3) Is there a recommended PCI Sata card that will work in a 2.2Ghz Pentium4 Sony Vaio?

Thanks Much,
Drew
I'll answer my own questions, in case it helps someone else.
1) It does not work (at least how I tried to do it). I used MFSLive backup and gave the two original drives as source and piped to restore to the new drive. It ran fine (took about 3.5 hours). When I put the new drive into the TiVo, I got the error messages about the wrong external sata drive attached on boot, even without the expander attached. What did work (without saving recordings) was to reconfigure the TiVo as original (160 + expander), divorce the expander, wait a long time for it to reboot, then use winmfs to setup the 1TB drive with the expander from the now divorced original drive.
2) the WD10000CSRTL (EACS) seems to work fine. I think it has been listed as the new 3 platter version on these forums. I set the AAM to 128, and even before I put the cover on it was silent. Amazing.
3) I used a Siig Sata card, with two internal ports and a Vantec Sata card with an internal and an external port. They both had the siImage chipset and used the same driver. Worked like a charm.

Anybody near Sunnyvale, CA who wants to use my PC to set up their TiVoHD, and make a donation towards recouping the costs of the two sata cards, pm me.

-Drew
Motorola M Cablecards on Comcast Cable

Last edited by atlynch : 09-18-2008 at 06:58 PM.
atlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #1746
azmp1

Folks, is HD recommendation table on first page still up to date? I will be upgrading my mew S3HD to 1tb drive and just want to see if there are more options then whats in the table (sorry, but just no time for reading through all 59 pages of this thread). So if anyone can chime in with other HDs that are acceptable for internal upgrade that is not in the table i will really appreciate it.

One other thing, as for WD drives (had the best experiance with then over the years, all my S1/S2 Tivos had always had WD upgrades),but it seems that i can not find the EVCS drive anywhere, all i see is EACS drives that looks to be not acceptable... Is that still the case? Can anyone point me to where i can find one?

The bottom line, i'm looking for a 1tb HD with good reputation under $130 for internal upgrade.
All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
azmp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #1747
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmp1 View Post
One other thing, as for WD drives (had the best experiance with then over the years, all my S1/S2 Tivos had always had WD upgrades),but it seems that i can not find the EVCS drive anywhere, all i see is EACS drives that looks to be not acceptable... Is that still the case? Can anyone point me to where i can find one?
Got mine at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digi...206827123.html

Hearing a lot of chatter about this drive too...

WD1001FALS

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=488

But is seems to be more expensive than even the EVCS.

So you have an S3, not a TivoHD? If you did have a TivoHD, just get the EACS.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #1748
HDRyder9

Buy.com has the Western Digital WD10EVCS in stock for 147.99 with free shipping. I don't know if that's a good price but it is available.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #1749
azmp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Got mine at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digi...206827123.html

Hearing a lot of chatter about this drive too...

WD1001FALS

But is seems to be more expensive than even the EVCS.

So you have an S3, not a TivoHD? If you did have a TivoHD, just get the EACS.
Sorry, i should have clarified, i do have TivoHD, not the silver Series 3. But i though EACS drives were not acceptable... So this drive will be OK then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Digital-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #1750
atlynch
Person

Quote:
Sorry, i should have clarified, i do have TivoHD, not the silver Series 3. But i though EACS drives were not acceptable... So this drive will be OK then?

I just installed two of them, both in TiVoHDs, one with a myDVR expander attached. See my post #1745 above. All working fine. _Very_ quiet.

-D
Motorola M Cablecards on Comcast Cable
atlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #1751
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:

The EACS has no reported problems as internal (or otherwise) with the TivoHD.

I might pay a little bit more to get it from Newegg just for their no hassle return policy.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #1752
azmp1

Quote:
The EACS has no reported problems as internal (or otherwise) with the TivoHD.

I might pay a little bit more to get it from Newegg just for their no hassle return policy.
Excellent, thank you Greg EACS it is then. What do you guys think about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136293

Anyone has tried with no issues?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #1753
greg_burns
Now in HD

Never bought a recertified drive before. Not having that warm fuzzy feeling isn't worth the savings to me, but that's just me.

Also looks like it only has 1 yr warranty rather than the 3yr that $140 one has.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #1754
JonathanMeyers

I installed the WD10EACS 1TB Green 3 platter as an internal upgrade in my TiVOHD. Working great so far. Very quiet. Bought it from zipzoomfly.com for 136.80. Free shipping.
JonathanMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #1755
richsadams

Quote:
Excellent, thank you Greg EACS it is then. What do you guys think about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136293

Anyone has tried with no issues?
$30 for peace of mind? Priceless. Well...$30. Almost priceless. Our WD10EACS has been going strong for about eight months now.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #1756
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Hearing a lot of chatter about this drive too...

WD1001FALS

But is seems to be more expensive than even the EVCS...
The Black series are the new high-performance desktop drives (true 7200RPM) from WD and would be of no advantage in the TiVo especially with the added noise, heat and power consumption. It will not make your TiVo operate faster. Stay with the Green series EACS/EVCS.

It looks like the current street price on the EACS is $129.99 with free shipping (assuming one buys from a non-taxable source). Sweet!

Last edited by jlib : 09-19-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #1757
azmp1

Thank you folks for all the responces, and i do agree on the recertified point, $20 just isn't worth it...

Anyway, ordered an EACS from newegg today, upgrade fun upcoming!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #1758
husky55

How time has changed. I thought $200 for my WD was a steal a few months back. But Olympic HD recordings were worth it for me. Still watching them, still happy.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #1759
sariemerci

Fantom Green Drive 1TB - GD1000ED

Quote:
...Also, it apparently does not come with an eSATA cable so you'd have to buy one. The recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10.

As far as the drive, there are only a limited amount of hard drive manufacturers and AFAIK, only one making a "green" drive series, Western Digital. My money says it's a WD10EACS in a Fantom case. WD has just upgraded that drive from a four to a three platter and may be getting rid of the older models. Nothing wrong with them though, particularly for use as an eSATA drive for TiVo. The one we have has been flawless for about 9 months now.

The fact that the case doesn't have a fan is of concern, but others here are satisfied with fanless enclosures. Enclosures without fans should have plenty of air circulation and not be placed on or near other heat-generating CE equipment. Also as you mentioned, it needs to have a "hard" on/off switch so it will power back on after a blackout (best to use a UPS, but you never know). ...
I called Micronet (the manufacturer) about this 1TB Fantom Green Drive (GD1000ED).

They said that, while they buy from WD, Hitachi, and Seagate, "WD is the only manufacturer who currently makes a hard drive that is compatible with green technologies." In other words, while the guy couldn't directly tell me who makes the hard drives, he pretty much confirmed richsadams suspcion.

They also said that the power switch is a hard one (i.e. will power up when power resumes after a blackout), and that the drives are designed to be used 24/7. He also said that the 60% power reduction helps keep things cooler than other drives that require fans. And it does come with an eSATA II cable -- not that they're expensive anyway.

I ordered mine today. Wish me luck!

Last edited by sariemerci : 09-22-2008 at 11:19 AM.
sariemerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #1760
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariemerci View Post
I called Micronet (the manufacturer) about this 1TB Fantom Green Drive (GD1000ED).

They said that, while they buy from WD, Hitachi, and Seagate, "WD is the only manufacturer who currently makes a hard drive that is compatible with green technologies." In other words, while the guy couldn't directly tell me who makes the hard drives, he pretty much confirmed richsadams suspcion.

They also said that the power switch is a hard one (i.e. will power up when power resumes after a blackout), and that the drives are designed to be used 24/7. He also said that the 60% power reduction helps keep things cooler than other drives that require fans. And it does come with an eSATA II cable -- not that they're expensive anyway.

I ordered mine today. Wish me luck!
Nice...and best of luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #1761
supie

Need Help Exchanged Tivo’s, Need to Move MFSLive Internal HD

Hi,

When I got my 3rd S3 Tivo I used the original drive for the first two weeks, and then I installed aWD10EACS-32ZJBO 1TB Drive using MSFLive. Placing the original drive on the shelf.

It has been a 1 ½ months trying to get the cable cards working to no avail. So Tivo determined that the Tivo Box was defective and that I should exchange it.

So now I need to pull the upgraded 1TB drive and put the original back in and have the following questions:

Reinstall Original Drive:
1. Do I just remove the 1TB and reinstall the Original Drive with the two weeks of content on it?
2. Is there anything special I need to do to reinstall the Original Drive?
I did make a truncated backup of the Original Drive, so I have it if necessary.

Move Upgraded MFSLive Drive from One Tivo to Another:
1. If you move a MFSLive drive from one Tivo to another does it lose all its shows (an/or data)?
2. Can I make a truncated backup of the 1TB and restore for the New Tivo?
3. On the 1TB, should I remove all content from the drive before moving?
4. Will I have the have the cable cards paired and authorized?
5. Is there anything else I need to do?

Cable Card Problems History:
Prior to installing the new drive, I had the cable company come to install the cable cards, they did not work, after the first 2 sets of cable cards, I installed the 1TB Drive. The cable company has been here many times since, trying over 5 sets of cable cards, none would work. The problem is the Tivo only receives the BASIC CHANNELS and the BROADCAST HD CHANNELS. Channels 2-99 and 781-788 work.

I am subscribed to (but not getting) all the Premium (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc) Movie View, and HD View (all the rest of HD Channels). On the bad channels, I see the Channel info but not the show, the screen is black.

I called Tivo for help and after many tests THEY DETERMINED THAT THE TIVO IS DEFECTIVE and the only way to fix it was to exchange it. But because it was over 30 days old this is done at an Exchange Cost of $89.00 plus Tax.

Thanks in Advance.
Tivo S3 – 1.25TB – Lifetime
Tivo Desktop – 4TB
Tivo iPad App x2
RIP TiVo S3 x2
RIP Replay TV x 4
supie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #1762
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Did you repeat guided setup after cable cards were installed and initalized? I heard you need to do that.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #1763
supie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Did you repeat guided setup after cable cards were installed and initalized? I heard you need to do that.
Yes after every new set of cable cards.

Thanks
Tivo S3 – 1.25TB – Lifetime
Tivo Desktop – 4TB
Tivo iPad App x2
RIP TiVo S3 x2
RIP Replay TV x 4
supie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #1764
bgermann

MX-1 Enclosure

So I'm ready to add 1 tb WD drive to my S3HD. I would like to use the MX-1 enclosure, but all the online stores I look at list it as only operating w/ max capacity of 750TB. I've seen in various posts many folks using this case for 1tb drives, my question, is there more than one type/model of the Mx-1? Thanks for the help/info.
bgermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #1765
eskay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermann View Post
So I'm ready to add 1 tb WD drive to my S3HD. I would like to use the MX-1 enclosure, but all the online stores I look at list it as only operating w/ max capacity of 750TB. I've seen in various posts many folks using this case for 1tb drives, my question, is there more than one type/model of the Mx-1? Thanks for the help/info.
On the Antec web site, it says, "Note: The MX-1 supports 1 TB hard drives. MX-1 was released before 1TB hard drives were available, so early reviews of the MX-1 mention it supporting up to 750GB drives simply because those were the largest hard drives available at the time."
eskay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #1766
richsadams

I'm waiting for someone to pop one of the new 1.5TB drives in and see what happens!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #1767
dwit

Quote:
I'm waiting for someone to pop one of the new 1.5TB drives in and see what happens!
Already reported failure on at least 1 S3, in the upgrade forum. Not getting past the first welcome screen, iirc.

My 1.5TB is scheduled to be delivered today. If I have the chance(Tivo always recording), I plan to test in my Tivo HD sometime today or tommorrow.

The drive is really for my pc. Just curious also about the useability in Tivo.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #1768
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Already reported failure on at least 1 S3, in the upgrade forum. Not getting past the first welcome screen, iirc.

My 1.5TB is scheduled to be delivered today. If I have the chance(Tivo always recording), I plan to test in my Tivo HD sometime today or tommorrow.

The drive is really for my pc. Just curious also about the useability in Tivo.
Ah...missed that one. Thanks for using your TiVo as a guinea pig. Wonder if 1.5TB just won't work as an internal upgrade, as an expansion drive or no matter what or if it's drive specific? Will your experiment be as an internal upgrade or eSATA? Hope it works, but if not let us know the details, brand, model, etc., etc. so we can have your valuable datapoint going forward.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #1769
dwit

Quote:
Ah...missed that one. Thanks for using your TiVo as a guinea pig. Wonder if 1.5TB just won't work as an internal upgrade, as an expansion drive or no matter what or if it's drive specific? Will your experiment be as an internal upgrade or eSATA? Hope it works, but if not let us know the details, brand, model, etc., etc. so we can have your valuable datapoint going forward.
I think I remember reading somewhere(?) that it wouldn't work. Don't know if it was Spike or whomever. Think it was something about the mfs file system(?).

Well, within an hour and a half of my post above, the drive arrived and I had it prepared(restored from truncated backup image 9.2a) and installed internally, as a single drive(no external expansion) inside my Tivo HD. Used winmfs, beta 8.

Result was the same as reported in the thread I referenced above: Powers up, gets to the "...few minutes more" screen, reboot...

No luck upgrading to Seagate 7200.11 1.5 TB on S3 .

Also curious about external use only for the 1.5TB, but a litttle too much hassel for me to check, as the drive is really for my pc. Maybe out of boredom, I'll try it later.

For now, just preparing to scan the drive for errors, as I ordered from Newegg and received their (still) typical bare drive, sloppy packing. Seemed adequate, but still...
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 09-23-2008 at 01:27 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #1770
richsadams

Too bad...wonder why the mfs file system would care what size the drive is? IIRC S3's can't go over 2TB and THD's 2.2TB's or so, so upgrading to a 1.5TB internal seems like it should work. Adding a 1.5TB eSATA to our S3 which already has a 1TB internal probably wouldn't work. Hmmmm. No real need for that much space, but it would be nice to know if it's a drive or TiVo issue. In any case, thanks for trying!