TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #1711
KustomMerc

Smile The Encloser

Well thanks to all who helped with my external problem. It seemed that after I checked and replaced cables, hard drives, etc. The last thing I checked of course was the problem. My MX-1 encloser had gone bad. The Series3 couldn't see it. So I went down and bought a new 1TB ($149) drive installed a new MX-1 and with the Series 3 new software nothing to do but hook it up. Wow when I checked the Sys Info..... I had 164 hrs of HD recording avail. Man that's Kool!

Thanks again
KustomMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #1712
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott1 View Post
Just got my first Tivo - a Series 3 HD unit that obviously needs more storage capacity. Seems like adding an external 1 TB drive is a reasonable place to start and then replace the internal drive as well if I decide I want still more storage. In reviewing the postings, it seems the Western Digital and the Hitachi drives are the main recommended choices for building an external solution...but the Hitachi also seems to currently be $50 - $100 more than the Western Digital drive. Is there any advantage or reason to spend the extra $ to get the Hitachi?

Thanks for any insight and help.
Welcome to the forum. I'm a Seagate man myself, but I've had the recommended WD 1TB hard drive in our Series3 for about 10 months now without any issues at all. AFAIK there's no advantage to the Hitachi drive other than that they do have a positive failure record.

To avoid confusion, did you get a Series3 or a TiVo HD? Both are from the Series3 family, but of course there are marked differences such as the TiVo HD's tiny hard drive. If it's a Series3 adding an external drive is fairly simple (follow the instructions on the first post of this thread). If it's a TiVo HD replacing the internal hard drive is recommended since the drive has to be pulled to marry anything besides the 500GB WD My DVR Expander.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #1713
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomMerc View Post
Well thanks to all who helped with my external problem. It seemed that after I checked and replaced cables, hard drives, etc. The last thing I checked of course was the problem. My MX-1 encloser had gone bad. The Series3 couldn't see it. So I went down and bought a new 1TB ($149) drive installed a new MX-1 and with the Series 3 new software nothing to do but hook it up. Wow when I checked the Sys Info..... I had 164 hrs of HD recording avail. Man that's Kool!

Thanks again
Yours is one of several posts regarding failing MX-1's that have popped up now. How long was it in service?

Congrats on getting everything up and running...enjoy!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #1714
analog4

I am going to upgrade my TiVo HD to a 1TB internal fairly soon (ie: hours).

From what I read in one of the first posts it's just a matter of attaching the TiVo HD drive and the new 1TB drive. I open WinMFS, select the TiVo Drive. Make a backup of the TiVo HD drive, then restore it to the 1TB drive, making sure I have the SuperSize option selected (pretty much following the instructions as posted in that post). The TiVo is completely empty so I'm just gonna transfer the data and no shows - that seems to be the simplest method in my case.

However, I read that you can't boot to a Windows PC with the TiVo drive - I assume that's not correct. The thing you can not do is open Disk Manager and Initialize the disk. If you don't do that you should be fine - correct?
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #1715
gabbott1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm a Seagate man myself, but I've had the recommended WD 1TB hard drive in our Series3 for about 10 months now without any issues at all. AFAIK there's no advantage to the Hitachi drive other than that they do have a positive failure record.

To avoid confusion, did you get a Series3 or a TiVo HD? Both are from the Series3 family, but of course there are marked differences such as the TiVo HD's tiny hard drive. If it's a Series3 adding an external drive is fairly simple (follow the instructions on the first post of this thread). If it's a TiVo HD replacing the internal hard drive is recommended since the drive has to be pulled to marry anything besides the 500GB WD My DVR Expander.
Thanks Rich, appreciate the response and help. Seagate would have been my first choice as well but it seems the DG-35 isn't made in a TB capacity as yet...hence my going towards the WD or Hitachi. Sounds like the WD is the route to go. Sorry for the confusion - I have a new Series 3 which, with the current $200 rebate, wasn't much more than a HD and though discontinued, seemed to offer more capabilities. Now I just have to (somewhat impatiently) wait for Comcast to get around to coming out to install the CableCards. Your posting seems to indicate that you have M-Cards in your Series 3 so I am guessing that it is what Comcast will be providing (appears you are in Lake Oswego and I am in Portland so I suspect we both have the same Comcast policies/practices). So do I need 1 or 2 M cards?

On a different note, is there anyway I can delete all these annoying ads that Tivo seems to download into my machine? I go to view my photos or listen to music and I have to wade through multiple screens of stuff I didn't put on there and don't want just to get to my photos or music. I didn't immediately find anyway of deleting them though...

Have a good Labor Day.

Greg Abbott
gabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #1716
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
I am going to upgrade my TiVo HD to a 1TB internal fairly soon (ie: hours).

From what I read in one of the first posts it's just a matter of attaching the TiVo HD drive and the new 1TB drive. I open WinMFS, select the TiVo Drive. Make a backup of the TiVo HD drive, then restore it to the 1TB drive, making sure I have the SuperSize option selected (pretty much following the instructions as posted in that post). The TiVo is completely empty so I'm just gonna transfer the data and no shows - that seems to be the simplest method in my case.

However, I read that you can't boot to a Windows PC with the TiVo drive - I assume that's not correct. The thing you can not do is open Disk Manager and Initialize the disk. If you don't do that you should be fine - correct?
That is all consistent with my recent experiences upgrading my S3 to a 1TB internal drive. I was booted into Windows and connected the drives just fine, but did not use any Windows tool to initialize them in any way and WinMFS was able to do the transfer without any problems. Just for safety I hooked up the 1TB first and ran the Western Digital diagnostics on it for 2 full passes (1 test pass reading every sector and 1 "write 0s" pass) just to be sure that the entire drive was accessible and writable.

Once I was sure I had a working 1TB drive I then disassembled the TiVo and did the upgrade as you specified using WinMFS with no trouble whatsoever. I didn't bother running the supersize option until after I did the full copy as it can be done at any time. When you select supersize it acts on the existing selected TiVo drive so if you try to do the copy with it "selected" really what you'd be doing is supersizing the original and then copying from the supersized drive. I didn't want to modify my original drive in any way (even though I backed it up) so I waited until the full copy was done and then selected the new drive as the TiVo drive and then ran the supersize option. I ended up with the full 144/1367 that I was supposed to have so everything worked just fine that way...
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #1717
analog4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That is all consistent with my recent experiences upgrading my S3 to a 1TB internal drive. I was booted into Windows and connected the drives just fine, but did not use any Windows tool to initialize them in any way and WinMFS was able to do the transfer without any problems. Just for safety I hooked up the 1TB first and ran the Western Digital diagnostics on it for 2 full passes (1 test pass reading every sector and 1 "write 0s" pass) just to be sure that the entire drive was accessible and writable.

Once I was sure I had a working 1TB drive I then disassembled the TiVo and did the upgrade as you specified using WinMFS with no trouble whatsoever. I didn't bother running the supersize option until after I did the full copy as it can be done at any time. When you select supersize it acts on the existing selected TiVo drive so if you try to do the copy with it "selected" really what you'd be doing is supersizing the original and then copying from the supersized drive. I didn't want to modify my original drive in any way (even though I backed it up) so I waited until the full copy was done and then selected the new drive as the TiVo drive and then ran the supersize option. I ended up with the full 144/1367 that I was supposed to have so everything worked just fine that way...
I went ahead and upgraded the TiVo HD and I am happy to say it went great. I now have the 144/1367 as I'm supposed to have with a 1TB drive.

What I did was boot with the TiVo drive attached. I made a backup of the drive, the kernel and the boot page (I figure why not - only the first one was necessary). Then I turned it off, attached the 1TB Seagate ES.2, and did a restore onto the drive. It then asked if I wanted to use the extra space and I said yes. Then I went and made sure SuperSize was on and it said it already was. Then I powered off the computer, put the new 1TB drive into the TiVo HD and it worked.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm using a Seagate ST31000340NS Barracuda ES.2 1TB drive - it's working so far.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 AM   #1718
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbott1 View Post
Thanks Rich, appreciate the response and help. Seagate would have been my first choice as well but it seems the DG-35 isn't made in a TB capacity as yet...hence my going towards the WD or Hitachi. <snip>
Hey Greg...sounds like you and your new (and inexpensive ) Series3 will be fine. Our Series3 has two "S" cable cards and our TiVo HD has one "M" cable card, both from Comcast. You would need two "S" or two "M" cable cards for your Series3.

I had a Seagate DB35/MX-1 eSATA drive before upgrading the internal drive in our S3. It's in one of our PC's now...whisper quiet and rock solid. Based on posts here and on other forums it looks like WD has really put some effort into QC over the past couple of years though.

Not sure which ads you're referring to. Whenever I look at photos or play music from my PC I pretty much go directly to them...I don't run into any advertisements. Hmmm.

In any case, it was a good Labor Day Weekend...but not long enough!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #1719
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
...However, I read that you can't boot to a Windows PC with the TiVo drive - I assume that's not correct. The thing you can not do is open Disk Manager and Initialize the disk. If you don't do that you should be fine - correct?
Yes, you are correct as far as Windows XP and later goes. The only caveat applies to Win 2K which will initialize the drive without prompting. That is probably where that info you heard came from.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #1720
Agent86
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Perfect for the Tivo HD. If you get the new 3 platter version, all the better. BTW, already posted here as working in the Tivo HD.

Please post the extended model number you receive and from where purchased.

Newest 3 platter version, model# WD10EACS-006DBO.

"Older" 4 platter model# WD10EACS-00ZJB0.
Odd - I've got neither of those models.

The drive I got says:
MODEL: WD10EACS-00C7B0
DATE: 11 JUN 2008

It was purchased from Provantage on 08-14-2008.

So I'm not sure how many platters this one has - would be interesting to know. I couldn't get the drive to work with the Hitachi tools to adjust the AAM, but I was able to make the adjustment using hdparm on the MFSLive Linux boot CD.

The drive is whisper quiet, and works like a charm in my TiVoHD!

Last edited by Agent86 : 09-03-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #1721
c3
TiVoholic

Take a look at the bottom side of the drive. If the case is flat, then it has 4 platters. If the case has circular/radial ribs, then it has 3 platters.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #1722
wedenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
Buy.com has This $129.99 deal for a 1TB WD GP drive. At least, that's the drive they've been using so far. You can knock the price down further with a 5% coupon to bring the price down to $124 -ish shipped.

There is some talk that they've been using a new 3 platter version of the 1TB drive - model #WD10EACS-006DB0.

The previous was the old 4 platter design we know and love (or not. i.e., us S3 owners) - model #WD10EACS-00ZJB0.

So a bunch of you get this to find out and if it's the new drive version, then install them in your S3's and let us know what happens. I don't ask for much.
This deal is over now and the price has gone WAY up, but huge thanks to Greg for posting this. I got in on the deal - $250 for two drives with the cables & software. I received model #WD10EACS-006DB0 three platter drives manufacture date 12 Aug 2008. Buy.com did an adequate job of packaging the drives for shipment. One of these will be going into an S3, but not until re-runs start next spring. Not going to chance it before then.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #1723
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedenton View Post
One of these will be going into an S3, but not until re-runs start next spring.
1TB will be under $100 at that time.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #1724
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Take a look at the bottom side of the drive. If the case is flat, then it has 4 platters. If the case has circular/radial ribs, then it has 3 platters.
The top should also look smooth like the WD Caviar Green WD5000AACS (no StableTrac).
Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #1725
flar

Quote:
This deal is over now and the price has gone WAY up, but huge thanks to Greg for posting this.
That deal may be over, but search on buy.com for WD10EACS and WD10EVCS and there are still some excellent prices on those drives (much better than the $235 price that the afore-mentioned link went back up to...)
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #1726
rjspring

Quote:
This deal is over now and the price has gone WAY up, but huge thanks to Greg for posting this. I got in on the deal - $250 for two drives with the cables & software. I received model #WD10EACS-006DB0 three platter drives manufacture date 12 Aug 2008. Buy.com did an adequate job of packaging the drives for shipment. One of these will be going into an S3, but not until re-runs start next spring. Not going to chance it before then.
I believe the link for buy.com now points to the drive + backup software which is why the cost is $250. You can still buy the WD from newegg for $149.99 (as of 9/7) here.

The price has actually fluctuated the last week, going as low as $139.99. In the next month or so I'll be in the market to buy two myself.
rjspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #1727
More_Storage

I have a few questions before I upgrade my new Tivo HD (still in the box).

Here's my plan with questions below:

Upgrade internal Tivo drive with a 750GB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 and a 1.5TB eSATA RAID 0 enclosure with two of the same Seagate drives. The goal is to have 2.25TB available for recording.

The Tivo is brand new, I have not connected to Tivo for updates yet or recorded any programs.

1) Should I connect to Tivo and get the latest updates BEFORE upgrading the drives?

2) I assume that I should back up the original drive before replacing with the new drive?

3) What is the likelihood future Tivo system upgrades will undo the upgrades?

4) Is there anything that I am overlooking or should know before upgrading?

Thanks in advance!!
More_Storage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #1728
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by More_Storage View Post
I have a few questions before I upgrade my new Tivo HD (still in the box).

Here's my plan with questions below: <snip>
Here's my $ .02...

1) It's generally recommended that you get your TiVo up to speed before your cableco does its thing and then upgrade. All of your cable card settings, etc. will remain intact. The TiVo software upgrade to the current v9.4 should hit the box within 48 hours or so or you can try forcing the connection to get it sooner.

2) winMFS will allow you to perform a truncated back up. IMO the best thing to do is to get your TiVo set up the way you want, perform the upgrade and then put the original drive on the shelf. If something goes south you can always use it to start again and if you need to return it for some reason you can just pop it back in.

3) TiVo is well aware of enthusiasts tweaking and upgrading their equipment. Over the years TiVo has never caused previous upgrades to fail due to updated software, etc. In fact they have even go so far as to notify users of unauthorized equipment (Series3's employing Seagate FAP eSATA drives come to mind) that what they are using may be problematic...however they didn't do anything to prevent them from working. There's no reason to believe that that core business practice will change in the future. As you'd guess, they simply don't offer support to TiVo's that have been modified using anything other than their approved products.

4) As long as you follow the directions in the first post of this sticky thread and/or those for winMFS you should be fine. There are a couple of folks here employing RAID systems but I'm not one so can't speak to that...hopefully someone with that knowledge can chime in.

If it were me, unless you really think you'll need that extra 250GB I'd simply upgrade the internal to 1TB and attach a 1TB eSATA using the recommended Antec MX-1 enclosure and be done with it...no RAID issues (not that I know of any). 1.5TB drives are hitting the market. I don't know of anyone that's tried installing one yet, but I'm pretty sure that some pioneers will jump in pretty soon. That's probably an option for the future.

BTW, Seagate Barracuda's are pretty noisy. I'm not sure if that's a concern or not. I'm a Seagate man from way back, but have been using the newer WD GP "green" drives for about 8 months now without any problems at all...and they are very quiet right out of the box. If you want to stick with a 750GB Seagate, the DB35 series (DVR dedicated drive) is coming down in price...a few bucks more but might be worth it?

Best of luck and enjoy all of the "real estate"!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #1729
More_Storage

Thanks

Rich,

Thanks for the great insights.

I'll post how things work as soon as everything is up and running. I'm using a Vantec NST-400MX-SR drive enclosure that supports hardware RAID 0. It simply combines both drives into a single volume that equals the total size of both drives.

Fortunately noise is not on the list of concerns as the gear is stored in a closet in another room.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #1730
More_Storage

Trouble with eSATA Drive

Rich,

I just finished the upgrade process I described above and it was fairly straightforward. However, the Tivo said that the storage was not supported when I tired to set it up.

The upgraded internal drive is working great and showing 98 hours of HD. The process with MFSLive to "add" the eSATA drive to the internal drive was "successful" (according to the MFSLive app).

Any suggestions as to what I might have missed?

Thanks again...
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #1731
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

I just finished the upgrade process I described above and it was fairly straightforward. However, the Tivo said that the storage was not supported when I tired to set it up.

The upgraded internal drive is working great and showing 98 hours of HD. The process with MFSLive to "add" the eSATA drive to the internal drive was "successful" (according to the MFSLive app).

Any suggestions as to what I might have missed?

Thanks again...
Sorry to hear that your expansion drive isn't playing nice with your TiVo. Sounds like you did everything correctly. You could start all over again to be sure they are married properly.

Or it could be something as simple as the eSATA cable. The recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10 so you could give that a try.

However my first inclination is to suspect the Vantec enclosure. IIRC there were a couple of other folks that tried using an enclosure that housed two drives but (for lack of a better term) "represented" them as one and they didn't work. I also think there were a few issues with other Vantec enclosures of some sort, but I'm not sure what they may have been. The bridge of some enclosures can cause problems. I know the Vantec NexStar3 is recommended, but AFAIK that's the only one that was used successfully by at least one user. You could do a search with the keyword "Vantec" and see what comes up.

If all else fails I'd try one of your drives in an Antec MX-1 enclosure. That should be successful.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #1732
bweeston

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

Rich - Your last sentence suggests that the "marrying" process isn't necessary if you upgrade the TivoHD hard drive and have the WD My DVR Expander. Is that correct?

Ben.
bweeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #1733
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweeston View Post
Rich - Your last sentence suggests that the "marrying" process isn't necessary if you upgrade the TivoHD hard drive and have the WD My DVR Expander. Is that correct?

Ben.
No

Hmmm. Maybe I answered to fast. Let's see what others have to say first.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #1734
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweeston View Post

Ben.
Hi Ben, good catch. What I meant to say was that to add any model other than the WD My DVR Expander to a TiVo HD, the internal hard drive has to be pulled anyway...so it's best (easier?) to upgrade the internal drive instead.

Greg is correct. Once an internal HDD upgrade has been made to a Series3 or TiVo HD the plug and play option can no longer be used. You'd have to use winMFS to marry ANY eSATA hard drive (including the WD My DVR Expander) to the internal drive going forward. The good news is that an eSATA drive can be married to an upgraded internal drive at any time in the future. (Hmmm...wonder if that applies to the new TiVo HD XL? Probably.) Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #1735
gfoulks

am I reading this thread correctly.. the only approved external expansion drive is the DVR expander? I have a WD 1TB external esata sitting here that I would like to use.... I guess I cant?
Phillips DSR-704 / 120 SD hrs
JVC 52" HD-ILA
gfoulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #1736
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfoulks View Post
am I reading this thread correctly.. the only approved external expansion drive is the DVR expander?
Yes.
Quote:
I have a WD 1TB external esata sitting here that I would like to use.... I guess I cant?
No problem if you are willing to open the TiVo (assuming THD here) and have access to a PC with SATA drive connectors. But if you are willing to do that you might as well just upgrade the internal drive.

The approved status only means it is easier to install, not that it works any better than your own DIY solution. If going the external route just make sure your enclosure is on the list of known trouble-free ones (see first post).
Old 09-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #1737
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfoulks View Post
am I reading this thread correctly.. the only approved external expansion drive is the DVR expander? I have a WD 1TB external esata sitting here that I would like to use.... I guess I cant?
What jlib said...plus some WD eSATA drives will NOT work with either the TiVo HD or the Series3 per Section III #5 and #6 of the first post in this thread. WD's My Book series of external drives comes to mind. Speculation is that there is a problem with the three-way bridge.

Let us know how things go!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #1738
atlynch
Person

How To #18

#18 States:
--->
Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.
<--

I have a Tivo HD with unmodified original HD, and a MyDVR expander. I'd like to replace the internal drive with the WD10000CSRTL now selling at Fry's for $149. I'd like (ideally) to keep settings and recordings.

1) How do I do this?
2) As far as I can tell, the WD EACS in the WD100000CSRTL is a problem in a Series 3, but works in a TiVoHD. Is this correct?
3) Is there a recommended PCI Sata card that will work in a 2.2Ghz Pentium4 Sony Vaio?

Thanks Much,
Drew
Motorola M Cablecards on Comcast Cable

Last edited by atlynch : 09-13-2008 at 10:09 AM.
atlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #1739
More_Storage

[quote=richsadams;6666769]Sorry to hear that your expansion drive isn't playing nice with your TiVo. Sounds like you did everything correctly. You could start all over again to be sure they are married properly.

Rich,

I read on the MFSlive MB that once the marrying process is completed the internal drive and eSATA drive should show up as "verified" after running MFSadd with MFSLive.

Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks again...
Old 09-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #1740
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

I read on the MFSlive MB that once the marrying process is completed the internal drive and eSATA drive should show up as "verified" after running MFSadd with MFSLive.

Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks again...
Hi there, sorry I don't have any recent experience with MFSLive. Although I've run Linux servers and am more than comfortable with command lines, winMFS is so turn-key that I don't have to bother. Point and click does have some advantages. I haven't used command lines since I hacked and upgraded our Series1 years ago (still works!). In addition I didn't add an expansion drive since upgrading the internal to 1TB. Since 1.5TB drives are on the market now and 2TB's are around the corner I don't think I will ever need to.

I'm sure some others will chime in with some help though or you could post your query on the MFSLive forum. Spike's very good about answering questions there. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!