TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #1681
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Quick question, I know it should be ok either way, but is there a perferred orientation for the expander drive (vertical or horizontal)?
There isn't a "preferred" orientation for the WD My DVR Expander. Vertical orientation would theoretically better dissipate heat. If your cat wants to lie on it...that would be a non-purrferred orientation.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 AM   #1682
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
It is very rare to have memory with errors (most regular PCs don't even have error correcting circuits in their memory modules). It is no wonder those memory read and write commands are obsoleted. But it is not uncommon for hard drives to develop errors which could be problematic for recording data that has a near realtime urgency. What you seem to be looking for is a RAID Edition drive. Western Digital makes the best ones. That way you will get the default lazy error correction without needing the TiVo to implement commands that are not in its design.
Huh? What do memory errors have to do with these commands? The "without retries" in their name refers to "without the drive" doing retries.
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #1683
ehgreen
A Quiet Observer

Want data storage and booting information, please

Want data storage and booting information, please

My interest is in how the two different recorders (TiVo and SA) use the DVR expander sector space, and the specific steps during the "attachment" or "first boot" procedures.

As my sentence in prior post (at end of page 42) states: understand recorded data is lost.

I am more interested in any "residue" may be on the disk that might confuse the “other” recorder might find on its “first boot”.

Was suprised that no “formatting” of the expander drive was required. That implies it is already factory prepared, or that the recorder does that.

What happens if I attach the Expander to a Windows computer SATA? Will it be recognized? Could any WD placed information be damaged?

Which is my main question: What are the "good practices" for a user before he turns in his cable box and "just" wants to move his previously working drive to work on his TiVo? What else might one do to maybe "try" to save some programs?

I’m from the “old school” when you did things like force the heads to a parking zone before you powered off a drive.

The answer to the question just above is, never JUST unplug!
ehgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #1684
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgreen View Post
What happens if I attach the Expander to a Windows computer SATA? Will it be recognized? Could any WD placed information be damaged?
Tivo uses its own MFS file system for video. Windows will not see it. You will need to reformat the drive in Windows if you want to use it that way.

When you connect the drive to a Tivo it formats it (or some equivalent) during the marriage process.

There is no WD placed info on the drive. It is a bare drive from the factory.

I don't know what filesystem SciAtl uses for its external storage. But it is definately not the same (or in any way compatible) with Tivo's. If you want to save recordings from your SciAtl you will need to (somehow) copy the videos to a PC first, then transfer them to your Tivo afterwards.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #1685
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
There isn't a "preferred" orientation for the WD My DVR Expander. Vertical orientation would theoretically better dissipate heat. If your cat wants to lie on it...that would be a non-purrferred orientation.

Rich, thanks for the info and the LOL for a Friday morning!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #1686
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgreen View Post
Want data storage and booting information, please <snip>
What Greg said earlier. You might want to post the same query on the MFSLive forum. Although the site is TiVo-centric, Spike may (or may not) be better able to address the dataset questions there.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #1687
KustomMerc

Cool problem with Sata expansion.

Let me first say I'm sorry to all who respond to this. It's been awhile..
I did my expansion back on 2/2007. and I'm see so much has changed that I didn't know about. Anyway on to the problem. I have a Seagate 500 gb DB35 and the Antec MX-1 enclosures. I got a blue screen this morning that says it can't see my storage.
So I rebooted 2 -3 times both the drive and the Series 3. no help. so I went ahead and hit clear to at least get my Tivo 3 running and back to work. My question is does Tivo have in the new upgrade we just got last month a problem with my drive and have shut it out or do you think my drive has gone bad after only a year of use? can I go buy a new Sata 1TB and install it in the encloser and start over or do I need this DVR Expander....? again sorry about not being up to date.
KustomMerc
KustomMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #1688
jlib
Lean Forward

Just take that 1TB and install it internally.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #1689
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomMerc View Post
..................My question is does Tivo have in the new upgrade we just got last month a problem with my drive and have shut it out or do you think my drive has gone bad after only a year of use? ..........
KustomMerc
I am using the same setup, MX-1 and 500GB DB35, since May 2007. No problem with the new update and the drive is still going strong. However, in Sept '07 I had to replace the e-sata cale with the siig cable. The drive was moved during house cleaning and the Tivo kept rebooting until the cable was replaced.

Also, you won't have to do the kickstart to install the 1 TB drive.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #1690
KustomMerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
I am using the same setup, MX-1 and 500GB DB35, since May 2007. No problem with the new update and the drive is still going strong. However, in Sept '07 I had to replace the e-sata cale with the siig cable. The drive was moved during house cleaning and the Tivo kept rebooting until the cable was replaced.

Also, you won't have to do the kickstart to install the 1 TB drive.
Kickstart?

so I'll try and replace the cable today.. after hitting clear does that mean this external 500 will need to be reinstalled?

if I were to go buy a TB wouldn't it need to be installed like my 500 was?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #1691
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Kickstart?

so I'll try and replace the cable today.. after hitting clear does that mean this external 500 will need to be reinstalled?

if I were to go buy a TB wouldn't it need to be installed like my 500 was?
The Series 3 used to require doing a KickStart 62 to add an external drive. Now it supports it via the menu.

If you replace your 500GB with a 1TB in an external drive, your Tivo will detect it as new and ask you to add it. (But first you should divorce your current 500GB drive, by booting with it detached.)
Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #1692
nrnoble

A few months back I upgraded my S3 to 1TB HDD because the original HDD died. What are my options for adding an external 1TB drive? I have done some reading and it looks like drives need to be married and that only can be done if the internal drive has not been upgraded.

Thx
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #1693
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
A few months back I upgraded my S3 to 1TB HDD because the original HDD died. What are my options for adding an external 1TB drive? I have done some reading and it looks like drives need to be married and that only can be done if the internal drive has not been upgraded.

Thx
It can be done, but you must connect both drives up to your PC and use WinMFS to marry them.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #1694
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool It is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
It can be done, but you must connect both drives up to your PC and use WinMFS to marry them.
This is correct. I upgraded my internal drive to 1TB, then added the Apricorn DVR Xpander 1TB with WinMFS. Everything booted perfectly the first time. Check out the Official eSATA expansion thread at the beginning of this forum for all the details. Good luck.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #1695
KustomMerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
This is correct. I upgraded my internal drive to 1TB, then added the Apricorn DVR Xpander 1TB with WinMFS. Everything booted perfectly the first time. Check out the Official eSATA expansion thread at the beginning of this forum for all the details. Good luck.
ok it looks like The series 3 doesn't see my old external 500 anymore. I changed the sata cable and nothing. so I went and bought a TB swithched them out. before I start my 3 used to see this external drive. to see the new TB do start tivo then turn on the external or flip something in the Tivo menu
or do I start the tivo with with the TB on? thanks for the help

ok I went to the begining of the thread and read up.......here goes..
I'll let you know if it worked
Thanks all

Last edited by KustomMerc : 08-23-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #1696
KustomMerc

Quote:
ok it looks like The series 3 doesn't see my old external 500 anymore. I changed the sata cable and nothing. so I went and bought a TB swithched them out. before I start my 3 used to see this external drive. to see the new TB do start tivo then turn on the external or flip something in the Tivo menu
or do I start the tivo with with the TB on? thanks for the help

ok I went to the begining of the thread and read up.......here goes..
I'll let you know if it worked
Thanks all
well... i tried everything when I go to the menu to add storage devices
it just won't see the external TB drive. I have tried 2 different cables..

do I have to marry them or kick start it or?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #1697
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
well... i tried everything when I go to the menu to add storage devices
it just won't see the external TB drive. I have tried 2 different cables..

do I have to marry them or kick start it or?
I assume you have not upgraded your internal drive? If not, then you do not have to marry them. The KS has gone away, so that is not an option.

I have upgraded my internal and when I plug my Antec in it "sees" the new drive, but it won't stick. (I haven't had any luck marrying them together with WinMFS, but that is another story.)

Is it possible the problem is with your Antec case? Another poster was have wacky stuff happen, he RMA'd his with Antec and now all is good.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #1698
KustomMerc

well thanks after all that it looks as if the encloser has gone out on me. going to buy a new one I'll let you know
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #1699
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Interesting note about my Expander recently purchased at Amazon for $135.........I chose super saver shipping. Once it is out the door, they say it could take up to 7-9 business days. I assumed real slow delivery.

Well, I ordered last Thursday. It didn't "ship" until yesterday. But, Amazon used UPS Ground and it looks like they have a warehouse somewhere in Nashua, NH. It is already "out for delivery" and will be home when I get there tonight. So, sure, it took 2-3 business days to ship, but once shipped, it will have only taken about 24 hours to get to my house. Nice!!!!!

[Edit]: 21 hours total.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jlb : 08-26-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #1700
Beachbum55

I recently installed a My DVR expander on my S3

Is there a menu choice to view the amount of disk space (used or available) on the combined internal and external drive?

Thanks.
Beachbum55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #1701
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum55 View Post

Is there a menu choice to view the amount of disk space (used or available) on the combined internal and external drive?

Thanks.
Ha! Good one! LOL!! That's a feature that's been requested for years and years. TiVo doesn't think it's needed apparently. There's a dedicated discussion about it in another area of the forum so don't let anyone hijack this thread to air the pro's and con's. Here's the latest one, but there are dozens of them floating around.

That said, there is a neat little program that we use called TiVo Playlist that features a basic disc usage meter/graph. You'll need to have your TiVo networked to a P.C. to use it, but it works quite well.

Oh, and congrats on the additional real estate. Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #1702
Beachbum55

Thanks Rich! Seemed like such a simple feature, I was certain it was hiding somewhere. No biggie really, since we probably won't push the combined capacity that often.
Beachbum55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #1703
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum55 View Post

Thanks.
The 'Total' amount of storage in hours is listed only on the 'System Information' screen.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #1704
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Got home to my Expander this evening! Yayyyyy!!!

Connected without a hitch at all. I used the SIIG cable. Folks have said that it sort of "snaps" in. I didn't detect a snap. However, it does feel more sturdy in there than the supplied cable.

Anyways, I am very excited. We passed the WAF without a hitch too (basically.....indifference). So far so good!!!!!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for letting me waiver back and forth before finally jumping in (thanks to Amazon's $135 price).

Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #1705
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Got home to my Expander this evening! Yayyyyy!!!
Well done. Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #1706
Poochie

OK, I've read through much of this, and think I have a handle on things, but thought I'd double-check since I don't want to make any mistakes.

First, my general plan would be to upgrade the internal drive of my stock S3. It's already running 9.4. I figure this way I'll have a backup drive (the original), and I won't have to worry about an external enclosure / eSata cable coming loose. If I ever need more than 130 hours then I can always add an Antec/1TB external later, but I doubt I'll need/want that anytime soon.

I will follow the FAQ (Section III, #11, steps 1-11) then put the 1TB drive into the S3 and power it up (and cross my fingers)

Second, I'm planning on using the WD10EVCS drive (~$180 at Amazon). The price differential with the WD10EACS (~$164 on Amazon) is small enough to me to make me not want to worry about "will I get a EACS revision that doesn't work as a S3 internal drive?" and "will it be louder?".

Questions:
- Will the (EVCS) drive come pre-configured with the proper AAM level, or will I need/want to run a tool on it while it's in the PC?
- If I later want to add a homebrew external setup, and I'm running through step 13 of Section III #11, would I be considered to be "upgraded directly from my original TiVo drive" or "upgraded from a previously upgraded TiVo" when prepping the external drive? I'd think/guess I'd fall into the latter and would need to run the LiveCD method here, but not 100% sure.

Whew! Hopefully these are simple questions. Thanks in advance!
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #1707
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Second, I'm planning on using the WD10EVCS drive (~$180 at Amazon). The price differential with the WD10EACS (~$164 on Amazon) is small enough to me to make me not want to worry about "will I get a EACS revision that doesn't work as a S3 internal drive?" and "will it be louder?".
Check it out on buy.com - currently $157.99 for the WD10EVCS (and you can google a $5 coupon for first time buyers as well).
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #1708
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Questions:
- Will the (EVCS) drive come pre-configured with the proper AAM level, or will I need/want to run a tool on it while it's in the PC?
- If I later want to add a homebrew external setup, and I'm running through step 13 of Section III #11, would I be considered to be "upgraded directly from my original TiVo drive" or "upgraded from a previously upgraded TiVo" when prepping the external drive? I'd think/guess I'd fall into the latter and would need to run the LiveCD method here, but not 100% sure.
I bought the EVCS for my S3. Got mine at buy.com. Price has dropped considerably in the last month. I see they have it for $158 w/ free shipping.

My EVCS already had the AAM set to 128 (i.e. quiet seek mode).

If you later want to add an external drive, you attach your current 1TB internal (not the old original 250GB) and the new external drive to your PC and use WinMFS. Should be easy (but I have given up myself for now).
Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #1709
Poochie

Jim/Greg- thanks for the pointers to buy.com.

Greg- thanks for the info on the EVCS. Hopefully all will go smoothly and I'll not have to worry about running out of space once the fall season, football season, and hockey season are in full swing.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #1710
gabbott1

WD10EVCS or CinemaStar?

Just got my first Tivo - a Series 3 HD unit that obviously needs more storage capacity. Seems like adding an external 1 TB drive is a reasonable place to start and then replace the internal drive as well if I decide I want still more storage. In reviewing the postings, it seems the Western Digital and the Hitachi drives are the main recommended choices for building an external solution...but the Hitachi also seems to currently be $50 - $100 more than the Western Digital drive. Is there any advantage or reason to spend the extra $ to get the Hitachi?

Thanks for any insight and help.
gabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote