Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1501
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I don't mean to nick pick, but I was just wondering what is that 'i' in 'GiB' and 'TiB' for? because I know that GB stands for Gigabyte, TB stands for Terabyte.
The "i" is supposed to make you think "binary."
1GB = 10^9 bytes
1GiB = 2^30 bytes = approx. 1.07GB

File and memory amounts have traditionally been quoted in powers of two that are close to powers of a thousand. (1 KB = 2^10 bytes = 1,024 bytes and 1MB = 2^20 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes)

Hard drives are sold in powers of ten. (New 320GB drive? Windows will see that 320 billion bytes as about 299 x 2^30 bytes and report it as 299GB.) Why? Seagate (or Fujitsu, or WD) doesn't want to quote "binary" sizes if Samsung (or whoever) is using decimal, because the Seagate drives will look slightly less capacious at about the same price. As quoted upthread, the newly GiB/TiB designation is there to resolve the ambiguity.

...so we get to try to pronounce gibibyte. Yep...progress.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #1502
husky55

How to ruin the 4th of July Weekend...

My Tivo HD with the WD 1TB has been working perfectly for months. However with the Olympic trials featuring Michael Phelps and Katie Hoff and Lockte and Diana Torres, I thought, may be some recordings of the Olympic Games would be in order. Since HD would be preferred, more storage would be needed.

With the price of HD tumbling down, now is the perfect time to add an external Esata drive. With the Antec MX1 enclosure and a new Hitachi Desktsar 750GB I reviewed again the procedure with Winmfs and mfsadd, just to be sure.

I knew the Hitachi Deskstar 750 GB was not on the recommended list, but the Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB is , so I took a chance.

Well, I was extra careful with the procedure, using 2 sata connectors on my Intel Quad core with Win XP SP3 and all the newest updates.

Reinstalled the WD drive back in Tivo and the new Esata MX1-Deskstar according to procedure. Power the Esata drive first and then Tivo,

Well, Tivo system info showed that I now have 255 Hrs of HD capacity. But what is that yellowish color in the picture? The red color has disappeared.

Well, running DVD, the TV works fine. What can it possibly be? so I decided to remove the Esata drive. 3 thumps down and enter. But the Tivo did not reboot for 30 minutes.

So I unplug the Tivo and reboot. Now a new message "Tivo has detected and critical problem and will attemp to fix it.....

If the Tivo does not reboot in 3 hours, call customer support."

Well, it's the 4th of July, nobody is working anyway.

We shall see....

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #1503
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
...so I decided to remove the Esata drive. 3 thumps down and enter. But the Tivo did not reboot for 30 minutes.
Why didn't you let it finish the divorce? Not sure how long it takes, but only waiting 30 minutes seems impatient. Wasn't there a message that it may takes hours?
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #1504
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Why didn't you let it finish the divorce? Not sure how long it takes, but only waiting 30 minutes seems impatient. Wasn't there a message that it may takes hours?
I was impatient and messed it up. However, after a couple hours, Tivo did reboot itself and it's back.

Unhappily, the picture in HD is yellowish again and a lot of flickering. Really unsatisfactory.

So I replaced the 1TB WD with the original HD which came with the Tivo HD. Same thing.
There was nothing wrong that I can detect with the HDs, since I replaced them and same results. Removed the Esata same thing.

At this point I am at a loss. Can it be Comcast? Still get all the channels from HBO, Starz and ESPN etc...

Or is Tivo doing something at their end? Can the M-card get corrupted somehow?

Will appreciate your comments, Greg, did you ever encounter something like this?

I really like to get my picture back. Picture quality that is.

Last edited by husky55 : 07-04-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #1505
c3
TiVoholic

Try a different video cable and/or video output from the TiVo.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #1506
richsadams

As C3 says, you could try HDMI or Component video output (or even RCA composite - yellow out) to see if it's one of your cables. You could also try replacing the coax from the wall to TiVo and/or the splitter if you have one (and if so, try running the coax direct to TiVo to eliminate a problem with the splitter).

Even before that I'd connect the coax directly to your TV to determine if it is a cableco issue (although probably not). I'd also unplug and reboot everything associated with your system, TiVo, TV, receiver, UPS, etc., etc.

If/when you pop TiVo open again have a look at all of the cables, wires, connections and see if something might have come loose or if something is interfering with how things were...not that you would remember of course, but sometimes it's fairly simple to look at the wires, how they are laying, etc. to see one that doesn't look right.

Best of luck!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #1507
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Will appreciate your comments, Greg, did you ever encounter something like this?
I've had my S3 reboot before and the startup welcome screen have an orange/yellow tint. I've seen that probably three times before. It always corrects itself. Not sure what causes it. Never seen it past the boot sequence.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #1508
husky55

TYA for your suggestions.

HMDI - Connected the Tivo directly to TV with HDMI - set TV to Digital-In input (JVC acronym for HDMI) no picture, just a green screen.

Can it be that TV HDMI was defective? I did use TV HDMI about 6 month ago with a DVD player, and it was working then. Never used Tivo with HDMI before, so I am paranoid.

Replaced coax from wall to Tivo, no change, yellowish screen and flickering, even on HS channels. Even in Tivo Central, change from up and down the menu, caused flickering.

Restart reboot from Tivo Central instead of unplugging power. Same thing. Reseat the M-Card. Same thing. No change, same yellowish and flickering screen. Still get all HD encrypted channels. Since I am at it, changed all the component video cables. Not the cables. Picture is still yellowish and flickering.

Opened Tivo again to check everything as Rick suggested. Everything looked tight and neat. I was EXTREMELY careful when changing HD, no loose connection or stray wire or anything I can think of. This is from somebody who build computers since the I368 days (before I486 microprocessor) until now (Intel Quad core etc...).

Will contact Tivo and Comcast to see what their suggestions are. I still don't understand how adding an ESATA HD could have caused this. Can HD change caused the video output or processor to go bad?

Thanks you all again. Life moves on.

Last edited by husky55 : 07-05-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #1509
richsadams

Quote:
TYA for your suggestions.
Sounds like you've done just about everything. By chance do you have another TV to which you can connect your TiVo to see if the same thing happens? If not, maybe at a friend's house?

The HDMI connection from TiVo to your TV shouldn't generate anything but a normal picture. It is possible that the HDMI cable is defective. (You can see if it's active on the TiVo System Info screen...that should tell you if the cable is bad.) It's also possible that both TiVo and your TV need to be rebooted after the connection is made to ensure the HDCP "handshake" takes place.

Something else to try, although it shouldn't be the cause of the yellowish PQ, would be to change the video output from whatever it is (1080i, 480p, etc.) to something else and see what happens. Others have reported making a change and then changing it back to what they had/liked and things were normal again.

Connecting an eSATA drive shouldn't have anything to do with the PQ particularly since you've removed it from the mix now (I think). I can't think of anything associated with that activity that would cause what you're seeing. But just to see what happens, I'd try connecting the eSATA drive again...and if you decide to divorce it, make sure you follow all of the screen instructions.

Replacing the internal drive may have caused something to go south, but even then I can't think what it would be unless something was unseated or shorted at the time...but that's very unlikely as well. Whatever it is (video processor, etc.) might have been borderline and all it took was something to be moved, a slight power surge...who knows?

Anyway, good luck chasing this one down. It is unusual to be sure and it would be good to know what, if anything, you find out.

Hey...I'm old enough to remember working on I386's. Wasn't Windows 3.1 wonderful? Ha!

Last edited by richsadams : 07-05-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #1510
husky55

Thanks Rich for the helpful and kind words. Just a little update:

Spent some time with the Tivo tech. Went again through everything. Including running the coax cable from the wall directly to the TV. TV and coax works fine. No HD, no digital even when cable card was moved over to TV. Needs pairing, I think.

The Tivo tech was pretty sure it's the Tivo which went bad. So he is sending me a replacement. $50 + shipping + whatever .

So I am looking again for transferring my old account to the new Tivo. Not sure how this will be done. Can I use the WD 1TB from the old Tivo and just install it in the new Tivo or do I have to repeat the copy procedure from the factory HD?

If anybody has done this, please comment.

There are some recordings that I would like to keep if it's at all possible.

I am also really tempted to add the Esata Hitachi Deskstar MX1 again. Wonder if the 750 GB Deskstar is not the cause of any trouble.

Common sense says no. But see where common sense led me. Down in the hole.

I am now running as Rich suggested, from coax wall to TV with all the free SD channels. Cannot get any digital and/or HD channels since M-card was activated but not paired with TV. Comcast lady sent a couple signal hits but we got nothing on TV with cable card inserted. so another Comcast truck roll coming up.

Well, just an update for info. Looking for better days ahead!!! Olympic Games in August, lots of new shows on HBO!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #1511
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks Rich for the helpful and kind words. Just a little update:

Spent some time with the Tivo tech. Went again through everything. Including running the coax cable from the wall directly to the TV. TV and coax works fine. No HD, no digital even when cable card was moved over to TV. Needs pairing, I think.

The Tivo tech was pretty sure it's the Tivo which went bad. So he is sending me a replacement. $50 + shipping + whatever .

So I am looking again for transferring my old account to the new Tivo. Not sure how this will be done. Can I use the WD 1TB from the old Tivo and just install it in the new Tivo or do I have to repeat the copy procedure from the factory HD?

If anybody has done this, please comment.

There are some recordings that I would like to keep if it's at all possible.

I am also really tempted to add the Esata Hitachi Deskstar MX1 again. Wonder if the 750 GB Deskstar is not the cause of any trouble.

Common sense says no. But see where common sense led me. Down in the hole.

I am now running as Rich suggested, from coax wall to TV with all the free SD channels. Cannot get any digital and/or HD channels since M-card was activated but not paired with TV. Comcast lady sent a couple signal hits but we got nothing on TV with cable card inserted. so another Comcast truck roll coming up.

Well, just an update for info. Looking for better days ahead!!! Olympic Games in August, lots of new shows on HBO!!!
The new TiVo should do the trick then. I just don't see how the eSATA drive could have anything to do with the PQ issue. Probably just a coincidence. Although the Hitachi drive you have isn't on the recommended list, it shouldn't be an issue. The list consists of drives that have been reported to work by forum members. If one is known not to work, they are included in the original post too. It's likely that no one has tried that particular model is all...and you're right, if the 1TB model is working, the 750GB model should as well. No guarantees of course, YMMV and all of that, but I don't see a reason it would be problematic. Once it's all up and running you can report back and perhaps bkdtv will be good enough to add it to his excellent post.

You could try inserting the 1TB drive into your new TiVo and see what happens. Me? I'd plan on having Comcast set things up again, properly pairing the cable card and then go through the upgrade afterward. That way you know you'll have a "clean" source (the new TiVo's hard drive), etc. and not have the "what if's" in the back of your mind. Plus it would probably be a good idea to run your new box for a week or two to be sure there's nothing wrong with it.

You could use TiVo Desktop to transfer recordings to your PC and then back to your new TiVo.

They're pretty good about getting TiVo shipped quickly so by this time next week you should be up and running again.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #1512
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

http://shop4.frys.com/product/552861...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG WD10000CSRTL

$169 for the WD green drive 1TB, good 7/4 thru 8th.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #1513
jlib
Lean Forward

Darn, tax and shipping kills that one for me. Good find, though...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #1514
shrike4242

Is Iomega getting into the DVR expander market now?

http://store.iomega.com/item?SID=049...4172#learnmore
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #1515
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
"DVR expander" is just an eSATA drive -- nothing really special about it.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #1516
thomaslue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post

http://store.iomega.com/item?SID=049...4172#learnmore
I certainly hope so!
Vendor competition is healthy for everyone.
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #1517
thomaslue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
http://shop4.frys.com/product/552861...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG WD10000CSRTL
$169 for the WD green drive 1TB, good 7/4 thru 8th.
I don't see that WD10000CSRTL on the approved list at FAQ #27...
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #1518
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
Vendor competition is healthy for everyone.
Still no competition (for TiVo HD) unless it uses the same WD drive inside, or TiVo decides to add it to the supported drive list.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #1519
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
I don't see that WD10000CSRTL on the approved list at FAQ #27...
You may already be aware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotillu View Post
Yes, WD10000CSRTL which is the retail version of WD10EACS does come with the SATA cable.
It would be less confusing if it was added to the list.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #1520
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Found the Supported 500gb DVR Expander for tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #1521
husky55

Just a quick update. The Hitachi Deskstar 7K750 with the Antec MX-1 works well with the WD EACS 1 TB.

Everything is back to normality.

Thanks again to RichsAdams and Greg_Burns who have been very helpful. I basically follow rich's guidance to the letter.

@richsadams, I have travelled long and far, but I have never been to Oregon or Lake Oswego. I don't think I will ever get there. But it must be a wonderful place, if it has people like yourself. Competent, courteous, helpful and generous. Thanks again.

@greg_burns, I have been to Delaware several times. I love the no sales tax, no income tax state law. But my kids are in CT so I will stay here.

So all is well which ends well.

Thanks again guys,

Last edited by husky55 : 07-11-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #1522
husky55

Just in case you are interested. World's first 1.5 TB drive. May be we don't need the ESATA drive anymore!!!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...=NLT_AM&nlid=1

Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #1523
jlib
Lean Forward

Nice! I thought for sure Samsung would win that crown, though.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #1524
richsadams

Quote:
Just a quick update. The Hitachi Deskstar 7K750 with the Antec MX-1 works well with the WD EACS 1 TB.

Everything is back to normality.

Thanks again to RichsAdams and Greg_Burns who have been very helpful. I basically follow rich's guidance to the letter.
No worries and glad to help...happier still that my advice didn't turn your TiVo into a large paperweight!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #1525
richsadams

Quote:
Just in case you are interested. World's first 1.5 TB drive. May be we don't need the ESATA drive anymore!!!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...=NLT_AM&nlid=1

D'oh! Now I have to start all over again! Okay...who wants to be a guinea pig...um, pioneer?!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #1526
elkcum55

replace internal drive

If I replace the internal series 3 drive with a 1 TB drive, will it automatically work or will Cox cable have to resend the info to the cards again? It took them MONTHS to finally get the TIVO working properly and I would hate to have them have to start all over again. If I have to have them do the cards from scratch again, I will not replace the drive. I already have a 750gb external. :-)

Thanks for your help
elkcum55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #1527
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcum55 View Post
If I replace the internal series 3 drive with a 1 TB drive, will it automatically work or will Cox cable have to resend the info to the cards again? It took them MONTHS to finally get the TIVO working properly and I would hate to have them have to start all over again. If I have to have them do the cards from scratch again, I will not replace the drive. I already have a 750gb external. :-)

Thanks for your help
Actually everything you need to know is in the first post of this sticky thread. That said, if you follow the appropriate upgrade directions using WinMFS all of your cable card settings, season passes, etc. will remain intact and you won't have to have your cableco pay a visit.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind though. If you're going to upgrade your internal drive you will no longer be able to connect an external drive via plug and play. When you upgrade this time you will need to "marry" your eSATA drive to your internal drive using WinMFS (the same program you'll use to upgrade the internal drive). You'd have to follow same procedure any succeeding times you want to change your eSATA drive. It's not complicated, just a couple of more steps to follow is all.

Finally, if you want to keep your existing recordings you'll need to follow some more complicated instructions (specifically Section III, #11 on the first post of this sticky thread). You also have the option of transferring any recordings you want to keep to your PC using TiVo Desktop and then transferring them back after the upgrade which is the best way to go IMHO. If you don't mind losing your recordings you can just follow the basic instructions for upgrading your internal hard drive and marrying your external hard drive. Your cable card and other settings will remain intact.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #1528
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
D'oh! Now I have to start all over again! Okay...who wants to be a guinea pig...um, pioneer?!
Hmm. I might. IF I can afford it, depending on the timing of the release, I rather need to pick up a 1.5TB drive for another purpose. I don't have any problems with pulling the existing drive, copying over to the 1.5T, doing some testing prior to installing the 1.5T drive where it needs to go, and putting the 500G drive back where it belongs. I'll have to see when it comes out and how many pennies I have in my pocket.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #1529
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Hmm. I might. IF I can afford it, depending on the timing of the release, I rather need to pick up a 1.5TB drive for another purpose. I don't have any problems with pulling the existing drive, copying over to the 1.5T, doing some testing prior to installing the 1.5T drive where it needs to go, and putting the 500G drive back where it belongs. I'll have to see when it comes out and how many pennies I have in my pocket.
Cool!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #1530
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
...Finally, if you want to keep your existing recordings you'll need to follow some more complicated instructions (specifically Section III, #11 on the first post of this sticky thread)...
It looks like he already has an external drive upgrade and that section assumes a new external drive upgrade. Not a problem other than the loss of existing recordings on the large external drive when he re-adds it to the new internal drive. So, it looks like the TiVo Desktop method is his only option for preserving them.