TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #1471
BWilliamsDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotillu View Post
In your original post, you had mentioned that you have two Macally G-S350SUA eSATA/USB2/FW enclosures and I was thinking maybe you can switch the enclosure you are using with the other one.

Ajay
D'oh - I got in too much "trouble" having Tivo not work this long. That'll show me to meddle with the TV.

I divorced the drives and had a surprising amount still stick around on Tivo, so that was nice. Using mfscopy quickly to get everything over and hopefully I'll have a happy, internally-upgraded Tivo in about 3 hours.
BWilliamsDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 PM   #1472
craven711

Tivo HD freezes

About 10 months ago I purchased a Tivo HD and for the first 5 months I used it with an SD cable connection and everything worked perfect. Then, about 5 months ago we moved and I opted not to subscribe to cable but instead use OTA HD signals. Things were going great but I quickly ran into capacity difficulties only being limited to 20 hrs. So about 3 months ago I ordered a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent eSATA external drive and used WinMFS to add the 'unsupported' DVR expander. I was loving the new 86 hr capacity. However, my Tivo HD has since started freezing and is getting progressively more prone to freeze (mostly on live TV - recordings are usually free of glitches/freezings). The only way it unfreezes is by unplugging it and rebooting (about 2x per week right now). Seeing that I made the transition from cable-> OTA & adding an 'unsupported' DVR expander somewhat around the same time I am unable to diagnose the freezing issue - So I am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

Does anyone else experience freezing using OTA HD signals?

Does anyone have any problems using a Seagate FreeAgent as an external DVR expander (or a DVR expander in general?)?

Would replacing my internal drive with a 1 TB WD10EACS and eliminating the external Drive help my situation?

What is the better drive: 1TB WD10EVCS or WD10EACS?

Thanks in advance
craven711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #1473
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven711 View Post
About 10 months ago I purchased a Tivo HD...?
Is your TivoHD "freeze" similar to the problem described in this thread?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...25#post6381525

Quote:
What is the better drive: 1TB WD10EVCS or WD10EACS?

Thanks in advance
WD10EVCS is slightly more expensive, does that mean WD considers it better?
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #1474
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I know it is documented that upgrading via USB-sata adapters can take days. But is that based on a 750gb drive that is full of recordings?

If my stock THD drive has about 5 hours of HD and a smattering of SD, how long do you think it would take?

I've been waiting for a 1tb DVR Expander to be released, but summer time is the right time for me to consider an internal upgrade.

I assume a pci sata card is probably the same or less expensive than 2 usb-sata adapters. With our newer quad-core dell, the upgrade should be rather quick.

I still have to get over the issue of what happens if I muck it up, which should not be the case.......my fam would kill me. Of course, at that time, I would just have to obtain a raw image (weaknees or wherever).
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #1475
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
I assume a pci sata card is probably the same or less expensive than 2 usb-sata adapters. With our newer quad-core dell, the upgrade should be rather quick.
You have a quad-code that doesn't have sata?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #1476
jlb
NCC-1701-D

oooops...let me rephrase that......My Dell has a SATA drive as the on board HD. I just haven't looked yet to see how many additional ports. It's the Inspiron 530 series. If, by chance, it only has 1 free port, can you "split" a sata port? If not, at that point, do I just buy a card?

Last but not least, I guess I'll have to at least buy 1 sata cable as a new drive will only have one.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #1477
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Update:

I checked the dell site for the 530 manual and it looks like there are 4 ports on board (10,11, 15, 17), so I would just need one additional cable for the upgrade (assuming new drives come with one). Will any ol' sata cable (say Ratshack for example) do, or should I get one of the basic ones from Monoprice?

Last edited by jlb : 06-26-2008 at 10:48 AM.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #1478
jlb
NCC-1701-D

And last item.....

Is the WD 1tb mentioned on the prior page (and I know throughout the many pages) still considered to be the best value 1tb drive? What is the best price found lately?

I am really leaning towards trying an upgrade, finally, but I just don't know if our current budget allows for "costs" such as this. Sure, I could ask for a drive around the holidays, but I would rather do an upgrade in the summer than in the midst of the "Fall/winter" season.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #1479
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
...so I would just need one additional cable for the upgrade (assuming new drives come with one). Will any ol' sata cable (say Ratshack for example) do, or should I get one of the basic ones from Monoprice?
The drive I bought from buy.com didn't come with any cables.

OEMs never do. Thinking about this, not sure where on buy.com site it says is was even suppose to have been just an OEM drive. Odd.

Edit: the WD10EACS says "OEM/Bare" in description, but the WD10EVS did not.

Any sata cable should do.

Last edited by greg_burns : 06-26-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #1480
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
And last item.....

Is the WD 1tb mentioned on the prior page (and I know throughout the many pages) still considered to be the best value 1tb drive? What is the best price found lately?

WD10EVCS $202 (internal for S3 or TivoHD)

WD10EACS $191 (internal for TivoHD only)

Might be better prices to be found. Not sure.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #1481
jlb
NCC-1701-D

That sucks. The link on the prior page to the drive on best buy would be a retail version. Do the retail versions come with cables usually?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #1482
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
That sucks. The link on the prior page to the drive on best buy would be a retail version. Do the retail versions come with cables usually?
Haven't bought retail in a long time, but all IDE drives that I've bought did. I assume a sata one would.

Yeah, that BestBuy price ($170) for the WD10EACS is a good one.

Last edited by greg_burns : 06-26-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #1483
GregComeLately

Quote:
And last item.....

I've been watching prices pretty closely the last several weeks, and the best prices are increasingly gravitating towards the $150-$170 mark, so I would hold out for something in this range and not pay any more than that. This range covers the WD GP drives, and most other brands/models of 1TB as well.

The WD WD10EVCS model, ostensibly made specifically for DVRs, etc., is in another price range. Not a lot of sellers for this new model yet, but $200 is about the best you can do for this one thus far.

Then of course, there are the optimized Seagate drives offered by forum sponsor/s, but those are still in another pricing stratosphere last time I checked.

Thinking out of the box, you could also consider getting a 750GB drive and use it for a while, then later on down the line upgrade to the 1TB size. I say that because the 750GB drive represents the best bang for buck size. In order for the 1TB's to reach the same value, they would have to get down to the $125-$130 range. Obviously, there would be more work upgrading the internal Tivo drive twice instead of just once. Plus, you'd have to have another use for the 750GB drive once you do upgrade to the 1TB. Just a thought.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #1484
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Thanks. I will stick to waiting for doing some 1TB solution. I would NEVER get the go ahead to buy a 750gb and then also buy a 1TB 6 months later. Would never fly.

While I would prefer the EVCS from the WD line, I think the EACS would be fine for me. Seems like it is working just fine for TiVoHD owners. From a sheer ease perspective, a 1TB MY DVR drive would be nice. I have to believe it will be out, it is just a matter of exactly when. But, if I went internal, it is one less point of failure and you don't have to worry about losing programs when you disconnect the drive.

That being said, if WD/TiVo announced the 1TB external drive being available in, say, a September time frame, I lay the groundwork at home for that. But if we don't think it is coming out until, say, BF to X-mas time, then I think I finally get over my upgrade hangups and spend for a WD GP internal 1TB.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #1485
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
But, if I went internal, it is one less point of failure and you don't have to worry about losing programs when you disconnect the drive.
Just wanted to point out this isn't really an issue. You have to do the three thumbs down and enter to divorce an external drive. Ain't gonna happen by accident.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #1486
gotillu

Yes, WD10000CSRTL which is the retail version of WD10EACS does come with the SATA cable.

Ajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Haven't bought retail in a long time, but all IDE drives that I've bought did. I assume a sata one would.

Yeah, that BestBuy price ($170) for the WD10EACS is a good one.

gotillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #1487
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...What is the better drive: 1TB WD10EVCS or WD10EACS?...
Since you have an THD the better drive is the cheapest of the two you can obtain at any particular time. If you had an S3 then the best solution for an internal drive would be the WD10EVCS due to compatibility issues.

Last edited by jlib : 06-27-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #1488
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...I bought from buy.com didn't come with any cables.

OEMs never do. Thinking about this, not sure where on buy.com site it says is was even suppose to have been just an OEM drive. Odd....
Note that the WD10EACS WD10EVCS, as with all "DVR" drives, will never be seen in retail packaging since they were never originally intended to be sold to end users, only to OEMs (the DVR manufacturers). So, there is no real need to distinguish it as OEM because it always is.

Last edited by jlib : 06-27-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #1489
gotillu

I am assuming you are referring to WD10EVCS and NOT WD10EACS. The latter is one of the GP drives from Western Digital and does come in a retail package - WD10000CSRTL.

Ajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Note that the WD10EACS, as with all "DVR" drives, will never be seen in retail packaging since they were never originally intended to be sold to end users, only to OEMs (the DVR manufacturers). So, there is no real need to distinguish it as OEM because it always is.

gotillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #1490
husky55

Quote:
I am assuming you are referring to WD10EVCS and NOT WD10EACS. The latter is one of the GP drives from Western Digital and does come in a retail package - WD10000CSRTL.

Ajay
True. I bought this retail package and it was the WD10EACS inside with the SATA 2 cable in the box. SATA 2 cable has a locking clip, SATA 1 doesn't.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #1491
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Just wanted to point out this isn't really an issue. You have to do the three thumbs down and enter to divorce an external drive. Ain't gonna happen by accident.

I meant that oncde you disconnect the drive, all programs recorded, regardless of the location of the program (internal or external) are no longer accessible, right?

So if you have an external drive failure, you lose everything.

I know it is no big deal. It really is a matter of drive availability for me. If there is definitive evidence of a 1TB external on the horizon, I will wait for that. But if we hear that it won't be until end of year or even into 2009, then I may scrounge up WAF points and shoot for an internal upgrade this summer.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #1492
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:

Ajay
Yes, what was I thinking! Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #1493
phototrek

HELP!

A few pages back I asked a few questions, double-checking the procedure before upgrading. I ended up in a world of hurt, as described here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=397746

Nobody replied to me there, so I'll try in this thread since after all it has to do with my upgrade. The situation so far:

1) Take a THD unit and upgrade it via WinMFS (beta7) to a 400GiB drive
2) Take said 400GiB drive and upgrade it again to the 1TiB drive (WD green)

This all goes well, and the unit runs for ~2 days. Now I don't know exactly what the trigger is, if it's the volume of video on the drive or the ~2 days of wait. So I took a 2nd identical Green WD drive and performed the upgrade again. As soon as the upgrade was finished I created a wish list recording all HD movies it could find, to fill the drive as quickly as possible.

~2 days later, same result: "Serious problem with the DVR" and endless reboot loop.

I am certain that this 2nd time the 1TiB drive was more full than the first round, because it had recorded 26 HD movies before dying. Nevertheless, the results aren't favorable.

I wonder if anyone has any idea what may be going on. Was it the daily call that blew it up? Was it the 2nd generation upgrade? (note I am not upgrading from the stock drive but rather from a 400GiB upgrade, which I was told works fine). Was it the "space maximizer" that I had turned on in WinMFS? I don't think it's a faulty drive because I tried two with same results.

Right now I am trying my luck upgrading my 750GiB S3 to the 1TiB drive, and see how that goes. Without space maximizer. I don't have any high hopes, that's for sure.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Denon AVR 4306
Sony 46 XBR2
phototrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #1494
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by phototrek View Post
I don't mean to nick pick, but I was just wondering what is that 'i' in 'GiB' and 'TiB' for? because I know that GB stands for Gigabyte, TB stands for Terabyte.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #1495
phototrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I don't mean to nick pick, but I was just wondering what is that 'i' in 'GiB' and 'TiB' for? because I know that GB stands for Gigabyte, TB stands for Terabyte.
Yeah. See, and now I just realized that it's backwards. The drive is 1TB (or 400GB), the memory in my computer is 6GiB. I always used it backwards, sorry for the confusion.
Denon AVR 4306
Sony 46 XBR2
phototrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #1496
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by phototrek View Post
HELP!

A few pages back I asked a few questions, double-checking the procedure before upgrading. I ended up in a world of hurt, as described here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=397746

Nobody replied to me there, so I'll try in this thread since after all it has to do with my upgrade. The situation so far:

<snip>

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
It sounds as if the problem could be one of two things:

1. Your new 1TB drive has some bad sectors and works fine until recordings hit that area.

2. The 400GB drive is passing on a flaw of some nature.

My advice (and you get what you pay for here ) would be to start from scratch. First run a diagnostic like WD's Lifeguard program on your new 1TB drive to ensure that it's good.

If your new drive is good, upgrade/image it with your original TiVo HD drive using WinMFS. You'll end up losing whatever recordings you have but your settings should remain if they haven't changed since you upgraded the first time.

Another option (particularly if you don't have your original drive) is to use Instant Cake to image your new drive.

Best of luck!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #1497
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks. I will stick to waiting for doing some 1TB solution. I would NEVER get the go ahead to buy a 750gb and then also buy a 1TB 6 months later. Would never fly.

While I would prefer the EVCS from the WD line, I think the EACS would be fine for me. Seems like it is working just fine for TiVoHD owners. From a sheer ease perspective, a 1TB MY DVR drive would be nice. I have to believe it will be out, it is just a matter of exactly when. But, if I went internal, it is one less point of failure and you don't have to worry about losing programs when you disconnect the drive.

That being said, if WD/TiVo announced the 1TB external drive being available in, say, a September time frame, I lay the groundwork at home for that. But if we don't think it is coming out until, say, BF to X-mas time, then I think I finally get over my upgrade hangups and spend for a WD GP internal 1TB.
Just my two cents...I wouldn't hold my breath for a 1TB WD My DVR Expander until late this year, early next. Plus, based on the initial and even current pricing of the 500GB model, if/when it is introduced it will retail for well over what it's truly worth. My WAG? $325+.

Your best bet is to go with the WD10EACS 1TB hard drive as an internal upgrade for your TiVo HD. Ours was whisper quiet out of the box and you can adjust the acoustics even lower if you're placing it your bedroom, etc. TiVo can't take advantage of the other DVR dedicated features of the WD10EVCS so there's no sense in spending the extra money.

Let us know how it goes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #1498
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
...I was just wondering what is that 'i' in 'GiB' and 'TiB' for? because I know that GB stands for Gigabyte, TB stands for Terabyte.
It is just a way to disambiguate the binary and decimal meanings of "gigabyte" (and "terabyte.")
Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #1499
colin1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Bad for internal use with the original S3.

Good for all other uses: good for internal use with Tivo HD. Good for external use with original S3 and Tivo HD.
Thanks for the reply. I will avoid this for that purpose (have an S3 and am doing internal upgrade) but I think I'm gonna get a couple of these for my PC to serve video from as I'm getting an HD video camera...
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #1500
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Just my two cents...I wouldn't hold my breath for a 1TB WD My DVR Expander until late this year, early next. Plus, based on the initial and even current pricing of the 500GB model, if/when it is introduced it will retail for well over what it's truly worth. My WAG? $325+.

Your best bet is to go with the WD10EACS 1TB hard drive as an internal upgrade for your TiVo HD. Ours was whisper quiet out of the box and you can adjust the acoustics even lower if you're placing it your bedroom, etc. TiVo can't take advantage of the other DVR dedicated features of the WD10EVCS so there's no sense in spending the extra money.

Let us know how it goes.
You're right. I just have to run the HD by the keeper of the budget and see if I can squeeze an HD in sooner than later.....