Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #1411
Ender

Thanks Rich!

That answers most of my questions.

Only one more

1. If installed internally, will the mod keep Tivo from updating the box? (I think not, but just want to see your thoughts)

Thanks for the help. I'll probably do the internal install in the next few days.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #1412
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Thanks Rich!

Only one more

1. If installed internally, will the mod keep Tivo from updating the box? (I think not, but just want to see your thoughts)

Thanks for the help. I'll probably do the internal install in the next few days.

No it will not. It is possible for Tivo to know you have a non factory drive in your box though. So if you deal with customer support they could use that against you if you have a problem of some sort. But that's just being paranoid.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #1413
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks Rich!

Only one more

Greg is correct...as usual. TiVo will continue to operate normally in most all respects with an upgraded hard drive.

If you do run into any issues you can always pop the original hard drive back in before calling the support folks. But Greg is right about them knowing as TiVo sends log information to the mother ship on a periodic basis. I haven't heard of anyone having any trouble getting help even if they have an upgraded drive though.

Good luck!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #1414
StibDen

WD My DVR Expander at Other Retailers

See that the My DVR Expander is now available at other retailers. Zipzoomfly has it for $164.99 (puls $7.40 shipping).

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Any reason this can't be bought here or will Tivo only continue support if it's purchased through them?
StibDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #1415
richsadams

TiVo has been supporting My DVR Expanders sold by Best Buy from day one, so there shouldn't be any reason for them to do otherwise with ZZF or any other retailer...no different than buying a TiVo from TiVo or any online or B&M store.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #1416
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StibDen View Post
See that the My DVR Expander is now available at other retailers. Zipzoomfly has it for $164.99 (puls $7.40 shipping).
I can understand the reluctance to install internally, but double the space for not much more...

WD10EVCS $202 (internal for S3 or TivoHD)

WD10EACS $191 (internal for TivoHD only)

+ free shipping

Edit: ok, maybe not double since you loose the 160GB or 250GB from the original drive...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #1417
StibDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
I can understand the reluctance to install internally, but double the space for not much more...
The internal drive update may make better sense. But a question I have is support by Tivo with the intenal upgrade. I've been having the playback freeze problem that is reported on another thread. I understand Tivo is supposed to come out with a firmware update to fix this, but if this problem doesn't get fixed or other problems crop up, am I stuck because I did the internal upgrade?

I see instructions for adding an external drive on the first page of this thread. Does it adequately cover doing an internal upgrade, or is there another thread to explain the process for doing the upgrade?

Thanks for your patience with a Tivo novice.
StibDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #1418
richsadams

Welcome to the forum! I'm an internal upgrade proponent as well. One less failure point and it's much more economical with respect to the cost per MB/GB. Many others have reported on other threads that replacing their hard drive has resolved a number of problems.

With regard to what TiVo will or won't support...if you keep your original drive on the shelf you can always pop it back in if you need to return the whole unit to TiVo.

A software upgrade (TiVo firmware doesn't get upgraded) may or may not resolve some of the issues you're seeing. It really depends on what it is.

All the information you need for upgrading your internal hard drive is on the first post of this thread (Section III, #30) as well as at MFSLive.org which offers the free and very easy to use WinMFS program. If you're comfortable with connecting a hard drive to your computer, you can do it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #1419
thomaslue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StibDen View Post

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros
Why don't they release a 1 TB version of this thing?
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #1420
greg_burns
Now in HD

I just noticed my new WD10EVCS has acoustic management (value 128) enabled by default.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #1421
Ender

I looked quickly and there doesn't seem to be a way to change tha AAM value via usb, is that correct?

I only have laptops, so an internal SATA cable connection isn't really in the equation.

Any ideas?

> greg_burns how did you see that your WD10EVCS was set at 128? Just curious if you used the Hitachi tool to do this or if there was another way to just see the value.

I hope my drive is 128 by default or another simple solution.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #1422
greg_burns
Now in HD

Yeah, I used the Hitachi Feature Tool bootable disc with it hooked up directly via a sata cable.

I think you are right about the it not being able to see it via USB.

The only other thing I can think of is using a Knoppix Live Linux disc and running hdparm command.

But even then I am not sure you could change/view it via USB sitting the Antec MX-1.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #1423
Ender

Quote:
Yeah, I used the Hitachi Feature Tool bootable disc with it hooked up directly via a sata cable.

I think you are right about the it not being able to see it via USB.

The only other thing I can think of is using a Knoppix Live Linux disc and running hdparm command.

But even then I am not sure you could change/view it via USB sitting the Antec MX-1.
Thanks. I'll probably just take it to a friends house this weekend and check it out.

The one time I wished I still had a desktop.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #1424
Ender

So I tried everything and I thought I was on the path of finishing the internal install.

Though now I'm stuck at the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more. . . " screen for 2-3 hours. Is that normal or should I pull the plug and try the power again?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #1425
richsadams

Quote:
So I tried everything and I thought I was on the path of finishing the internal install.

Though now I'm stuck at the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more. . . " screen for 2-3 hours. Is that normal or should I pull the plug and try the power again?
Not normal. Try rebooting it (unplug TiVo, wait about 10 seconds and plug it back in). If it still sticks at that point it means that the mother board cannot communicate with the hard drive. Check all of the connections and listen for the drive spinning up. If the drive doesn't spin up there's likely a problem with the drive. Put the old drive back in and make sure it still starts up okay. If it does you might want to connect your drive to your PC and be sure it's okay by running WD's LIfeguard Diagnostic Tool. If it passes try redoing everything with WinMFS and make sure that you're following every step correctly.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #1426
Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Not normal. Try rebooting it (unplug TiVo, wait about 10 seconds and plug it back in). If it still sticks at that point it means that the mother board cannot communicate with the hard drive. Check all of the connections and listen for the drive spinning up. If the drive doesn't spin up there's likely a problem with the drive. Put the old drive back in and make sure it still starts up okay. If it does you might want to connect your drive to your PC and be sure it's okay by running WD's LIfeguard Diagnostic Tool. If it passes try redoing everything with WinMFS and make sure that you're following every step correctly.
Thanks Rich. I wasn't sure. It just seemed odd.

I had to basically 'format/delete' the new HD and just restore the backup to it again. Not a big deal. Now it works great! 144HD hours or 1367 SD hours. . .

I must have messed something up when I tried to do the AAM via the USB to SATA cable.

Which brings me to another question. If I don't lower the AAM to 128 will the higher setting wear on the drive quicker?

What I took from the 1st post in the thread is that some HD come with AAM disabled because they want to up the performance for a desktop. Does that 'up the performance' setting make the HD drive to 'hard' for a DVR and eventually will lead to a breakdown before it's real time? Or does it just effect the sound level?

Anyway, thank you and everyone else for the great help!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #1427
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Though now I'm stuck at the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more. . . " screen for 2-3 hours.
Quote:
Not normal. Try rebooting it (unplug TiVo, wait about 10 seconds and plug it back in). If it still sticks at that point it means that the mother board cannot communicate with the hard drive.
I thought the "Welcome! Powering up..." was from the motherboard and "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." was read from disk.

Glad to see its working now.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #1428
richsadams

Quote:
I thought the "Welcome! Powering up..." was from the motherboard and "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." was read from disk.

Glad to see its working now.
Aurgh! You're absolutely right. My bad. I've got to stop responding to these things past my bed time.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #1429
richsadams

Quote:
Which brings me to another question. If I don't lower the AAM to 128 will the higher setting wear on the drive quicker?
Glad to hear all is well!

AFAIK the AAM setting shouldn't have any effect on your hard drive's longevity. Lowering it reduces the seek time slightly which lowers the noise level to some extent. By extension TiVo's requirements/demands on a hard drive are much less than those of a PC, server, etc. so changing the AAM shouldn't have any impact on TiVo's performance either. Although I lowered the AAM to 128 on the WD10EVCS I have it was very quiet to begin with. Had I not done so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made any difference.

Enjoy!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #1430
Ender

Quote:
Glad to hear all is well!

AFAIK the AAM setting shouldn't have any effect on your hard drive's longevity. Lowering it reduces the seek time slightly which lowers the noise level to some extent. By extension TiVo's requirements/demands on a hard drive are much less than those of a PC, server, etc. so changing the AAM shouldn't have any impact on TiVo's performance either. Although I lowered the AAM to 128 on the WD10EVCS I have it was very quiet to begin with. Had I not done so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made any difference.

Enjoy!
Okay thanks. I guess it's a minor change. . .I assume I can change the AAM anytime without effecting the drive.

Thanks for the excellent help.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #1431
richsadams

Quote:
Okay thanks. I guess it's a minor change. . .I assume I can change the AAM anytime without effecting the drive.

Thanks for the excellent help.
Glad to help, and yes, you can change the AAM anytime.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM   #1432
gatzke

My DVR Expander at 1 TB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
Exactly! This has been out for a while. Even when it came out, it seemed small. I am holding out for at least a 1 TB expansion.

Or better yet, Tivo should bless an expandable NAS device with a RAID option. I guess you can script your HTPC move files off the Tivo, but it is not as elegant as plug and go.

But I guess the market for people putting an extra $1000 into a Tivo is pretty small...
Slingbox AV, Wii Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gatzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #1433
greg_burns
Now in HD

Got my WD10EVCS installed this morning internally. I could not figure out how to do it and preserve my external drive though using WinMFS, so I just decided to divorce it first.

Tried using MFSLive boot cd 1.3 after scratching my head with WinMFS, but it refused to recognize any of my sata drives on my pc. Kept saying sda and sdb didn't exists. Couldn't figure out how to get a listing of what the drives were mounted as. I know with linux I should have been able to do a cat /proc/partitions but that wasn't working with this boot disc.

Interesting side note; when I divorced my drive the only shows left were some TivoCasts and one single show recorded on the Jun 10th. Very odd. Some much for the theory that everything would be gone since adding the drive.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #1434
richsadams

Quote:
Got my WD10EVCS installed this morning internally. I could not figure out how to do it and preserve my external drive though using WinMFS, so I just decided to divorce it first.

Interesting side note; when I divorced my drive the only shows left were some TivoCasts and one single show recorded on the Jun 10th. Very odd. Some much for the theory that everything would be gone since adding the drive.
Congrats...I think. Did you end up using WinMFS and is it working?

I divorced my eSATA drive a couple of times early on and found that a couple of SD programs (but no HD recordings) were still there afterward, so it does indeed seem to leave some remnants now and then. I certainly wouldn't bank on any being there though.

Nice work!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #1435
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
My guess is that it's due to projected demand more than anything. Ramping up a product for release in the U.S. is not for the squeamish. There business model would likely emulate the 500GB version which means convincing/getting WD to begin production, packaging, distribution and marketing...all of which commands some sizable costs.

Plus TiVo and WD now have some historical data regarding the success of the 500GB model. Since they have moved to a wider distribution (beyond TiVo and Best Buy) I'd guess that they consider it viable. Then they'd have to weigh how many of those were sold against how many additional 1TB drives they would sell.

It's all about making money. That said, both companies have responded to various queries over the past few months and both have said that there may be a 1TB version in "late 2008". A holiday offering like the 500GB model? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #1436
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Congrats...I think. Did you end up using WinMFS and is it working?
Yes, I used WinMFS and it is working.

I just thought it might have been possible to replace the internal 250GB with an internal 1TB and keep the attached storage (500MB). Maybe it is, but I couldn't quite figure it out using WinMFS and was having trouble even using MFSLive with my PC.

I was just thinking... I assumed I could just plug back in my eSata drive after the fact, but is that going be a problem now that I replaced the internal drive? Should have I've done something while I had it all apart and connected to my PC?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #1437
Chew

As a point of reference, how does the typical S3 HD that TiVo installs rate for noise level?

I've bought a few HDs for my previous TiVos and they were never quiet enough compared to the original. Even after doing the suggested adjustments.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #1438
lrhorer

Quote:
Yes, I used WinMFS and it is working.

I just thought it might have been possible to replace the internal 250GB with an internal 1TB and keep the attached storage (500MB). Maybe it is, but I couldn't quite figure it out using WinMFS and was having trouble even using MFSLive with my PC.

I was just thinking... I assumed I could just plug back in my eSata drive after the fact, but is that going be a problem now that I replaced the internal drive? Should have I've done something while I had it all apart and connected to my PC?
Yes and yes. The automated drive marriage will only work with a stock TiVo drive. You'll need Win-MFS to marry two large drives.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #1439
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes and yes.
Was one of those Yeses to the question of whether it was possible to keep the external drive and still upgrade the internal w/o loosing recordings?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #1440
cb8560

questions about esata hard drive hack for tivo hd

I just got a Tivo HD with a life time membership and started using it. I have multiple programs Standard Definition program on it and wanted to expand the hard drive before I starting using it for HD programs since it will fill up quickly. I bought a western digital 1TB E-Sata hard drive but then found out the only way I can install it with Tivo HD that is with a hack on this fourum.

I had a few questions concerning trying this hack

Will it erase the programs that are currently on my drive?

If so is thier anyway to back up all the programs on your computer with tivo HD?

Also will it void warranty?

When will Tivo allow you to hook up a E-Sata hard drive that is not the 500 GB my dvr expander?

Casey
cb8560 is offline   Reply With Quote