TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #1351
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
I just noticed that the ads say the maximum capacity is 750GB. But I thought I've read here that people are putting 1 TB drives in this enclosure.
In fact there is no particular limit. Some of those adds were written when 750G was the largest available drive for consumers. The electronics are passive, so whatever the drive holds, the enclosure will support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
Also: I know this is off-topic, but I am curious of anyone knows what the throughput (transfer) speed of this Antec MX-1 is (compared to, say, a Firewire 400 enclosure).
It's SATA II, which allows up to 3Gbps.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #1352
Chevy_Cowboy

Like others have mentioned, I'm having trouble getting a Western Digital WD10EVCS too. I've had one ordered from buy.com for 2 months, they keep promising its coming soon but never deliver.

Anyone know of a site that has them in stock or should I just cancel it and buy a non dvr drive?
Chevy_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #1353
plumeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Cowboy View Post
Like others have mentioned, I'm having trouble getting a Western Digital WD10EVCS too. I've had one ordered from buy.com for 2 months, they keep promising its coming soon but never deliver.

Anyone know of a site that has them in stock or should I just cancel it and buy a non dvr drive?
From everything I have read there is no practical difference between the WD10EACS and the WD10EVCS, except one is cheaper and available now and the other is not.. ;-)

peter
plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #1354
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
From everything I have read there is no practical difference between the WD10EACS and the WD10EVCS, except one is cheaper and available now and the other is not.. ;-)

peter
Depends which model Tivo you have and how you plan to use the drive.

As mentioned several times in this thread(prominently in 1st post), The WD10EACS does not work correctly when installed internally in the S3.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #1355
plumeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Depends which model Tivo you have and how you plan to use the drive.

As mentioned several times in this thread(prominently in 1st post), The WD10EACS does not work correctly when installed internally in the S3.
Good point to make... I has forgotten about the S3, but it is very clear on the first page of this thread, as you say.

peter
Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #1356
richsadams

Quote:

dwit and plumeria are correct. For the most part TiVo cannot take advantage of some/most of the specific features of DVR dedicated hard drives.

If you have a TiVo HD (not the "original" Series3) you can use the WD10EACS as an internal upgrade without any issues. The drive is already fairly quiet but you can easily adjust the seek acoustics down to 128 using the Hitachi Feature Tool.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #1357
Chevy_Cowboy

I've got a S3 (two actually) but I use MX1 external enclosures and leave the stock internal drive alone.

Will the WD10EACS work ok in the MX1 on the S3?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #1358
richsadams

Quote:
I've got a S3 (two actually) but I use MX1 external enclosures and leave the stock internal drive alone.

Will the WD10EACS work ok in the MX1 on the S3?
You should have no problems using the WD10EACS in an MX1 enclosure with your Series3(s). The only time it presents a problem is when it's installed internally.

I should qualify that because I'm actually using a WD10EACS as an internal hard drive in my Series3...but it was the early "retail" version (WD10EACS-32ZJB0) which worked fine (for reasons speculated on but not truly known). It's been humming along for about seven months now. AFAIK that version is no longer available anywhere. The later OEM and "retail" versions (WD10EACS-00ZJB0) are the ones that refuse to restart from a menu (and more importantly update) reboot in Series3's.

Having said that...just so there's no confusion...the WD10EACS will work as an internal upgrade in TiVo HD's, but NOT Series3's. It will work as an expansion drive for either model. The newer WD10EVCS series has reportedly worked fine as an internal upgrade on both models (but is apparently hard to come by.)

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #1359
Chevy_Cowboy

ok, thanks for your help. I'm emailing Buy.com now to cancel my WD10EVCS order.

Knowin my luck they'll have them in stock monday lol.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #1360
shrike4242

Seagate DB35 vs. WD AV-GP vs. Hitatchi Cinemastar

I've been going through this thread back and forth, as I've been working to get a Series 3 and roll my own eSATA drive for it.

From what I've seen, most people are going with either the WD AV-GP or the Hitachi Cinemastar drives and not much has been said about the Seagate DB35 drives. I'm leaning towards the DB35's, mainly for the 5 year Seagate warranty, and that I've used Seagate drives with much better success over the years than WD or Hitachi/IBM.

I wanted to get some feedback and see if people had opinions either way about the DB35 vs the AV-GP and the Cinemastar drives. I'd rather roll my own eSATA drive, as the Antec MX-1 has a 3 year warranty and the three drives above are either 3 or 5 year warrantied.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #1361
Chevy_Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
I've been going through this thread back and forth, as I've been working to get a Series 3 and roll my own eSATA drive for it.

From what I've seen, most people are going with either the WD AV-GP or the Hitachi Cinemastar drives and not much has been said about the Seagate DB35 drives. I'm leaning towards the DB35's, mainly for the 5 year Seagate warranty, and that I've used Seagate drives with much better success over the years than WD or Hitachi/IBM.

I wanted to get some feedback and see if people had opinions either way about the DB35 vs the AV-GP and the Cinemastar drives. I'd rather roll my own eSATA drive, as the Antec MX-1 has a 3 year warranty and the three drives above are either 3 or 5 year warrantied.

I've got a 10 month old DB35 750gb drive in a MX1 on my first S3... and its worked flawlessly. My preference would be a seagate drive over a western digital drive... The only reason I'm looking at different brands for the 2nd S3 is because I want a 1tb drive and so far theres no DB35 that big.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #1362
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
I've got a 10 month old DB35 750gb drive in a MX1 on my first S3... and its worked flawlessly. My preference would be a seagate drive over a western digital drive... The only reason I'm looking at different brands for the 2nd S3 is because I want a 1tb drive and so far theres no DB35 that big.
The only reason for the use of the DB-35.3 series was that it was the only Seagate alternative in their line to the then current 7200.10 desktop series that was quiet enough to use in a DVR. The current 7200.11 desktop series is actually quieter than the DB-35.3 according to published Seagate specs so the premium priced DB-35.3 is of no particular value anymore for TiVo upgrades.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #1363
c3
TiVoholic

You may want to consider the RMA process of the various brands. "Before" means sending in the bad drive before receiving the replacement. "After" means sending in the bad drive after receiving the replacement (advance RMA), which means you may be able copy data to the replacement drive, and you can ship the bad drive back in the manufacturer approved shipping box.

WD: before or after (no fee)
Seagate: before, or after with a fee ($27?)
Hitachi: before only
Samsung: I don't even understand who handles the RMA process.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #1364
shrike4242

Quote:
Good to hear that the DB35.3 with the MX-1 has worked without any issue. The 1TB drives make a huge jump in price from the 750GB levels, so I think 1GB is out of my price range at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
The only reason for the use of the DB-35.3 series was that it was the only Seagate alternative in their line to the then current 7200.10 desktop series that was quiet enough to use in a DVR. The current 7200.11 desktop series is actually quieter than the DB-35.3 according to published Seagate specs so the premium priced DB-35.3 is of no particular value anymore for TiVo upgrades.
The only reason I'd lean towards a DB35.3 versus a 7200.11 is that I know the DB35.3 is rated for 24/7 usage in a DVR environment, and a 7200.11 isn't. Same situation with the WD RE2 drives, as they're rated as enterprise-class drives, and designed for 24/7 usage. Yeah, it might be $10-$15 more for a DB35.3 over a 7200.11, though it'll be a little piece of mind for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
You may want to consider the RMA process of the various brands. "Before" means sending in the bad drive before receiving the replacement. "After" means sending in the bad drive after receiving the replacement (advance RMA), which means you may be able copy data to the replacement drive, and you can ship the bad drive back in the manufacturer approved shipping box.

WD: before or after (no fee)
Seagate: before, or after with a fee ($27?)
Hitachi: before only
Samsung: I don't even understand who handles the RMA process.
If Hitachi has no advance replacement, they're off the map with me. Seagate is $20 for an advance replacement, which shows up in 2 days guaranteed, plus comes with an approved box and a pre-paid mailer for the return shipment. Western Digital says they'll advance ship a drive, though don't specify how they do it, the timeframe they do it, and if it comes with a pre-paid mailer. Obviously, it'll come with an approved shipping box.

The specs between the WD AV-GP and the Seagate DB35.3 are pretty close for 750GB, with the WD drive having 16MB of cache and the Seagate having 8MB (16MB is available, though for an ugly price premium). Plus, it seems like the WD drive is sold out most places I've seen it.

Ended up ordering the 750GB Seagate DB35.3.

Last edited by shrike4242 : 06-03-2008 at 11:48 PM.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #1365
thomaslue

It's too bad this drive doesn't work. Such a great price!
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #1366
dholzlein

Thank You everyone for all the great information!

I just upgraded the original drive of my TiVo HD to a 1T WD10EACS. I think it took me a total of about 1.5 hours, including copying my nearly full original drive. I connected both drives via internal SATA connections on my desktop machine and used WinMFS. Everything proceeded well, without any real issues. Getting the cover off was a little tricky. My recollection is that the FAQ says only a Torx 10 is required, which covered most bolts, but my drive was attached to its bracket with Torx 15 bolts. The boot time, especially the initial screen, seemed to take exceptionally long. I almost gave up, thinking I had screwed something up, but patience won out and it did eventually come up and everything was okay.

Thanks again for all the info. (Yes, I bothered to read all 46 pages.)

Got my 1T WD10EACS from zipzoomfly for $179 with free shipping, though I paid the extra $10 for 2nd day.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Drew
dholzlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #1367
plumeria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholzlein View Post
Thank You everyone for all the great information!

I just upgraded the original drive of my TiVo HD to a 1T WD10EACS. I think it took me a total of about 1.5 hours, including copying my nearly full original drive. I connected both drives via internal SATA connections on my desktop machine and used WinMFS. Everything proceeded well, without any real issues. Getting the cover off was a little tricky. My recollection is that the FAQ says only a Torx 10 is required, which covered most bolts, but my drive was attached to its bracket with Torx 15 bolts. The boot time, especially the initial screen, seemed to take exceptionally long. I almost gave up, thinking I had screwed something up, but patience won out and it did eventually come up and everything was okay.

Thanks again for all the info. (Yes, I bothered to read all 46 pages.)

Got my 1T WD10EACS from zipzoomfly for $179 with free shipping, though I paid the extra $10 for 2nd day.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Drew
Thanks for the extra info, dholzlein

Did you us the Hitachi Feature Tool to turn the seek acoustics down to 128, as some people have done? If so did you notice much of a difference?

I am going to swap my drive out this weekend.

Peter
p.s for folks in California, zipzoomfly charges tax, so not such a good deal.. ;-(
Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #1368
gotillu

Quote:
Thanks for the extra info, dholzlein

Did you us the Hitachi Feature Tool to turn the seek acoustics down to 128, as some people have done? If so did you notice much of a difference?

I am going to swap my drive out this weekend.

Peter
p.s for folks in California, zipzoomfly charges tax, so not such a good deal.. ;-(
Circuit City has the retail version of WD10EACS (WD10000CSRTL) for $157 + tax. Too bad I upgraded a week ago when this drive was selling at $200.

Ajay
gotillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #1369
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotillu View Post
Circuit City has the retail version of WD10EACS (WD10000CSRTL) for $157 + tax.
That was a temporary price mistake. Already dead.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #1370
richsadams

Quote:
I used the Hitachi Feature Tool to change the AAM to 128 on our WD10EACS and to be honest I couldn't tell much difference while it was exposed let alone inside TiVo. IMHO if you didn't make the adjustment before installing your new drive it wouldn't be worth pulling it back out unless you're very sensitive or have the TiVo in your bedroom. It's simple to do while you're doing everything else beforehand however...your call of course. Best of luck and enjoy the added space!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #1371
sandman1999

I have Tivo HD and what to make an external 1TB hard drive I have the antec mx-1 just need to get a hold of the WD10EVCS 1TB is it wise for me to wait for this HDD to become available or just find a different drive.? If i am changing drive what is the next best one thanks for the help
sandman1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #1372
c3
TiVoholic

For TiVo HD, you can use WD10EACS for both internal and external drives.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #1373
dholzlein

Quote:
I forgot. The living room where the unit sits has enough ambient noise that it's inaudible though.

I am however surprised that no one is selling a bracket to put a second drive internal. I read the posts about the person who attached it to the case, but there seems to be plenty of room for a wider bracket that could hold a second drive. There are even unused holes in the case floor just beyond the edge of the MB that could be used to anchor it, but even cantalevered with only the original mount points would probably be fine.

Drew
1T TiVo HD
dholzlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #1374
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1999 View Post
I have Tivo HD and what to make an external 1TB hard drive I have the antec mx-1 just need to get a hold of the WD10EVCS 1TB is it wise for me to wait for this HDD to become available or just find a different drive.? If i am changing drive what is the next best one thanks for the help
As C3 mentions, Western Digital's WD10EACS will work fine. Any of the drives listed on the first post of this thread (Section III, #27) will work fine as well.
Since nothing but the "approved drive" works via plug and play you'll need to follow the directions in that same post to marry the internal and external drives using the WinMFS program.

And since the TiVo HD has such a small hard drive a better bet is to simply upgrade the internal hard drive (since you'll have to pull it out anyway) and put the original on the shelf as a backup. Everything you need to know is in the first post of this thread.

Last edited by richsadams : 06-06-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #1375
GregComeLately

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotillu View Post
Circuit City has the retail version of WD10EACS (WD10000CSRTL) for $157 + tax.
I was able to get in on this too, just in the nick of time, BUT.. it appears very likely that the HD I picked up isn't the "32" version but the dreaded "00", poison green (ivy) power to my precious S3. And from previous readings of this thread, I thought I had all my ducks in a row, and by "ducks", I mean understanding how to navigate through the minefield of WD GP drive options.

oh, well. Back it goes! Unless I try to make a little profit, selling it locally, in hopes of recouping at least something from the wasted hour & a half of time in pursuit of this damned drive.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 AM   #1376
richsadams

Not sure what you mean when you say that "it appears very likely...". The full model number is printed on the drive:

WD 1TB OEM HDD: Model # WD10EACS-00ZJB0

WD 1TB Retail HDD: Model # WD10EACS-32ZJB0

If indeed it is the 00ZJB0 model you are correct, it probably will not work in your Series3. I say "probably" because drive specs change over time and I don't recall anyone trying one of those in a Series3 recently. You could give it a go and see what happens. Worst case is that it doesn't work, you put your original drive back in and return the new one.

If you do try it out the only way to know if there will be a problem is to initiate a menu restart after it's installed. (Messages and Settings > Restart or Reset TiVo > Restart TiVo.) If it fails, the problem still exists. If not, you may well qualify for the TiVo Pioneer Club and open new horizons for those that follow!

On the other hand, if it's the 32ZJB0 model; you've struck gold because AFAIK they are no longer making that one...which does in fact work in the Series3 (and TiVo HD). Ours has been busy going on eight months now.

Let us know what you end up doing!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #1377
plumeria

I tried to update my internal HD for my TivoHD tonight, but ran in to some troubles with the FAQ on page 1 :-( I am trying to preserve recordings...

I ended up using USB->SATA adapters since the SATA PCI card I bought (promise technology junk) required me to create a floppy disk to install the driver. I haven't used or seen one of those in years..

Anyway, I am trying to follow the FAQ steps very carefully but soon hit a problem.

> #5 In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive' and select the two drives you
> attached. Set 'Drive A' to the original drive. Do not select
> 'Drive B.
>
I see both drive 2 (my original HD) and new drive 3 (WD10EACS) in the menu but it is not possible to select "the two drives I attached". I can pick one or the other for the A Drive - not both.

--> I just found out what the FAQ problem is - it has the Mscopy step in the wrong place! This is what lets you choose both. It looks like this partshould be rewritten a bit.

The text below seems to be more accurate (preserving as much of the original text as possible) and simpler.

• In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive'. Set 'Drive A' to the original drive. Do not select 'Drive B.

• In WinMFS, select the 'Backup' option to create a backup. Save the file to your local computer hard drive for backup purposes. Make sure you have enough space - for me it was 500MB for the non-recording backup.

You don't use this now. It's a backup for future use, should anything ever go wrong.

• In WinMFS, Select Tools -> Mfscopy to copy the full contents of the old drive -- including all recordings -- to the new. Designate the original drive, selected as 'A,' as the Source Drive A and the new drive as Destination Drive A."

Thanks

Peter
p.s reading other people's postings it seemed like "cake" but not as easy as I had hoped until I figured out the FAQ issue :-)
Old 06-07-2008, 03:27 AM   #1378
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
It's a backup for future use, should anything ever go wrong.
If you do make a backup, make sure you test it by restoring it to a different drive and trying the drive in the TiVo. Otherwise, you may not have a usable backup when you really need it. My initial WinMFS backup files did NOT work.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:45 AM   #1379
Chevy_Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
I was able to get in on this too, just in the nick of time, BUT.. it appears very likely that the HD I picked up isn't the "32" version but the dreaded "00", poison green (ivy) power to my precious S3. And from previous readings of this thread, I thought I had all my ducks in a row, and by "ducks", I mean understanding how to navigate through the minefield of WD GP drive options.

oh, well. Back it goes! Unless I try to make a little profit, selling it locally, in hopes of recouping at least something from the wasted hour & a half of time in pursuit of this damned drive.

Why not just buy a Antec MX1 external enclosure and plug it into the eSata port on the S3? Apparently the WD10EACS works fine as a external drive on the S3, it just has problems as an internal.

My WD10EACS arrived today, I'm getting ready to hook it up to my PC to run some surface checks on it before installing it.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #1380
richsadams

Quote:
Why not just buy a Antec MX1 external enclosure and plug it into the eSata port on the S3? Apparently the WD10EACS works fine as a external drive on the S3, it just has problems as an internal.

My WD10EACS arrived today, I'm getting ready to hook it up to my PC to run some surface checks on it before installing it.
Good point and another option to returning the drive. (Although I'd really like to see if the more recent WD10EACS's will work internally in a Series3...you never know.) I've always been an internal upgrade proponent as it reduces the number of failure points, but our Series3 ran perfectly fine with an MX-1 and Seagate DB35 HDD until I upgraded the internal drive.

Let us know how your upgrade goes as well.