TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #1321
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkurz View Post
I decided to copy the incompatible My Book drive to an Antec MX-1 with a Hitachi 1TB Cinemastar using dd-rescue. I posted additional details here:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...29#post6269529

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...20#post6269420
Excellent posts John. Thanks for the detailed info! You may want to tell your story over on the MFSLive forum as well. I'm sure there are some folks that would be interested.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #1322
vegaspl
Tivo'er since '99

I regret that I had not stumbled on this site sooner.
Regarding ESAT Compatibility with DTV's HR20-100; HR20-700; HR21-100 & HR21-700

I have had a heck of a time trying to get the two Seagate Free Agent 750GB External drives to work with what?
I finally have the seagates to work consistantly with my HR20-100's

Just a note of information:

The original internal Drives are still intact, however not accessible while Seagate is Active. IOW, the recordings that were on the original drive can be accessed if the Seagate is disconnected.

Being somewhat of a "Tech" novice, I am very frustrated that I didn't know about this site back then.

With regard to what I posted here forgive me if it has been covered before

Another subject: Is the any relatively simple way to add External drives to any of the HR10-250's I have that were not upgraded originally?
See my Signature
3 ea-HiDef HR20-700 w/2-Seagate 750GB Ext HD's
1 ea-HiDef HR20-100

Last edited by vegaspl : 05-12-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling of model number
vegaspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #1323
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjim View Post
...I'm considering doing an internal drive upgrade on a Tivo HD. I'd like to put in a 500GB drive as that seems to be the sweet spot price wise and would meet my needs... Is this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136149 acceptable for use?
Yes, it is acceptable but no way is it the "sweet spot" price-wise. Staying with the WD Green Power line you linked to and using the same vendor one gets this:

500GB = $90

750GB = $120

1TB = $200

So, any price under $135 makes the 750GB a better bargain per GB than the 500GB at $90.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #1324
bomberjim

True enough. Actually I figured that out shortly after I posted and ended up ordering a 750. Thanks for the comments guys.

Jim L
bomberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #1325
bbache

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbache View Post
I attached the MX-1 via USB to a Windows XP laptop and ran WD's DLGDIAG for Windows. The test sees the drive as a physical drive, but I get a cable error the instant the test starts. Specifically, the error message is: "Cable Test::Read diagnostics sector error!" (Not a typo -- there's a double colon.) After clicking OK, the test report says: "Cable test failed! Please check the cables." Tried two different USB cables; same result. Uninstalled and reinstalled the WD10EVCS. Same results. (I wanted to attach screen shots, but I don't know how.)

DLGDIAG doesn't see the drive as a logical drive, by the way. Should it?

I didn't bother trying a second eSATA cable with the TiVo Series3 -- it was recording something I don't want to miss. At this point, I assume the enclosure is defective and I've notified both Antec and ANTonline.com, where I bought it.

Bill
Update: Well, I got a replacement MX-1 from Antec and got the same "cable" error message when I attached via USB and ran WD's DLGDIAG diagnostic program. Attached to the TiVo Series 3, I also get the same problem as before: hung at the orange "sunrise" screen with the "powering up" message and never getting past that.

Maybe the WD hard drive is bad, but that seems unlikely because the diagnostic program reports the correct drive model number and capacity. It occurs to me: do I have to format the drive first? If so, what format?

Can anyone suggest how else I might test the hard drive without sending it back to WD?

Bill
bbache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #1326
bbache

Quote:
Update: Well, I got a replacement MX-1 from Antec and got the same "cable" error message when I attached via USB and ran WD's DLGDIAG diagnostic program. Attached to the TiVo Series 3, I also get the same problem as before: hung at the orange "sunrise" screen with the "powering up" message and never getting past that.

Maybe the WD hard drive is bad, but that seems unlikely because the diagnostic program reports the correct drive model number and capacity. It occurs to me: do I have to format the drive first? If so, what format?

Can anyone suggest how else I might test the hard drive without sending it back to WD?

Bill
P. S.: My laptop's WindowsXP >Computer Management>Disk Management does not see the USB-attached WD drive.

I am using the drive as I received it. There are no jumper pins. The instructions on the drive say to:
* Jumper pins 1 and 2 to enable Spread Spectrum Clocking (SSC);
* Jumper pins 3 and 4 to enable Power Up in Standby (PUIS); and
* Jumper pins 5 and 6 to enable 1.5GB PHY.
I've assumed I shouldn't do any of these, but let me know if I'm wrong.

I've thought about formatting the drive in NTFS and then seeing if I can run tests, but at this point I don't even know how I would format it. I have no tower PC to work with, only my laptop.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #1327
husky55

@bill,

Problem : Neither Tivo S3 nor Laptop XP recognizes your new WD 1TB HD.

Diagnostic so far: replace MX-1 enclosure, cables. Run WD diagnostic tool. No go.

Suggestions:

1. You need to isolate the problem. To do that you need to assure yourself that the MX-1 and cable is working properly . So replace the new WD HD with and older HD . Your XP laptop, assuming it has a newer chipset should see the new HD and all the other opticals drives, HD and other infos. If it does not see it the newly attached HD, then you have connection problem since your test HD is supposed to be working.

2. Tivo S3 if it recognizes your WD 1 TB will format it with its own file system and added it to your Tivo storage capability. XP will see your HD as unformatted and not ready for use in disk management in the Computer management section. There are a couple steps to add it to windows but you do not need to do that.

3. I suspect WD tools trying to run diagnostic tests on a WD drive not connected properly (somehow due to connector or cable etc..) might have corrupt the firmware or the boot sequence of the WD 1 TB drive. This usually involve a few bytes at the very beginning of the drive. Or another possibility is that your chipset and bios in your laptop XP could not automatically recognize the drive.

4. You could reboot your XP and enter bios ( on some computer it is the delete key during boot up) and see if your HD is in there. You can also use the DOS command checkdisk /all to see al your drives and partitions. But XP should do it for you.

5. Your WD might have been corrupted. With a new drive, be sure that it is recognized in bios, XP before running any WD tools or any tool.

I know that it is extremely frustrating to have this problem. A problem that usually nobody would expect to have.

Good luck,

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI

Last edited by husky55 : 05-15-2008 at 07:33 AM.
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #1328
Duke

Wink

Quote:
Update: ....Can anyone suggest how else I might test the hard drive without sending it back to WD? Bill
Try using a program like "Spinrite" from Gibson Research (grc.com); it's an excellent program for ferreting out drive problems.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #1329
Clentz

Spinrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Try using a program like "Spinrite" from Gibson Research (grc.com); it's an excellent program for ferreting out drive problems.
I have been using Spinrite since the early days (I used it on both of my 1TB Hitachi drives) prior to their use.
Carl

Last edited by Clentz : 05-15-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: addition
Clentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #1330
bbache

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
@bill,

Problem : Neither Tivo S3 nor Laptop XP recognizes your new WD 1TB HD.

Diagnostic so far: replace MX-1 enclosure, cables. Run WD diagnostic tool. No go.

Suggestions:

1. You need to isolate the problem. To do that you need to assure yourself that the MX-1 and cable is working properly . So replace the new WD HD with and older HD . Your XP laptop, assuming it has a newer chipset should see the new HD and all the other opticals drives, HD and other infos. If it does not see it the newly attached HD, then you have connection problem since your test HD is supposed to be working.

2. Tivo S3 if it recognizes your WD 1 TB will format it with its own file system and added it to your Tivo storage capability. XP will see your HD as unformatted and not ready for use in disk management in the Computer management section. There are a couple steps to add it to windows but you do not need to do that.

3. I suspect WD tools trying to run diagnostic tests on a WD drive not connected properly (somehow due to connector or cable etc..) might have corrupt the firmware or the boot sequence of the WD 1 TB drive. This usually involve a few bytes at the very beginning of the drive. Or another possibility is that your chipset and bios in your laptop XP could not automatically recognize the drive.

4. You could reboot your XP and enter bios ( on some computer it is the delete key during boot up) and see if your HD is in there. You can also use the DOS command checkdisk /all to see al your drives and partitions. But XP should do it for you.

5. Your WD might have been corrupted. With a new drive, be sure that it is recognized in bios, XP before running any WD tools or any tool.

I know that it is extremely frustrating to have this problem. A problem that usually nobody would expect to have.

Good luck,
Thanks for the tips. Thanks, too, to Duke and Clentz for the SpinRite suggestion. Meanwhile, I tried the Disk Utility on my wife's iMac and it couldn't run any first aid because of an "Input/Output problem," so I figured I do indeed have a defective and/or corrupted drive and have started the RMA process with WD. If the replacement shows the same problems you'll hear my screams.

Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #1331
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:

I did a search on that error and it is a little misleading in that it occurs during the cable integrity test but actually never has anything to do with the cable. In this case, the diagnostics sector on the drive is not readable (this is always bad news, by the way). If you subsequently did an extended test you would probably get a more complete and catastrophic failure message. So, sending the drive back as you did is the best solution.

Last edited by jlib : 05-16-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #1332
afs12065

I recently purchased a S3 HD-DVR and had good success adding an eSATA expansion drive using the recommended 1TB Hitachi Cinemastar drive with the Antec MX-1 enclosure and SIIG cable. The DVR shipped with an older version of the OS (v8.x) and the external drive was not recognized initially but after going through the Guided Setup and updating to v9.3a everything worked beautifully. Thanks so much for the FAQ - it was immensely helpful.
afs12065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #1333
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by afs12065 View Post
I recently purchased a S3 HD-DVR and had good success adding an eSATA expansion drive using the recommended 1TB Hitachi Cinemastar drive with the Antec MX-1 enclosure and SIIG cable. The DVR shipped with an older version of the OS (v8.x) and the external drive was not recognized initially but after going through the Guided Setup and updating to v9.3a everything worked beautifully. Thanks so much for the FAQ - it was immensely helpful.
Welcome to the forum...and congrats on your upgrade! Now relax and enjoy.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #1334
thomaslue

FYI, I am not sure how reputable the vendor is, but I just saw a good price on the recommended 750GB Seagate DB35 here:
http://www.compsource.com/pn/ST3750840SCE/Seagate_394/
thomaslue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 AM   #1335
bbache

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Thanks, too, to Duke and Clentz for the SpinRite suggestion. Meanwhile, I tried the Disk Utility on my wife's iMac and it couldn't run any first aid because of an "Input/Output problem," so I figured I do indeed have a defective and/or corrupted drive and have started the RMA process with WD. If the replacement shows the same problems you'll hear my screams.

Bill
Update #2: Success! It was a bad drive after all. TiVo brought up the replacement drive from WD exactly like I expected it to. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Bill
Old 05-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #1336
Karnwine

Hey, just want to say thanks to Spike and all the helpful posts in this thread. I just did an internal upgrade for my HD Tivo(up to 500gb) and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The only trouble I ran into was my computer didn't have the right connections and I had to buy the usb/sata cable. For anyone out there like me who is hesitant to crack open the tivo, go for it! It couldn't be any easier. Thanks again
Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #1337
plumeria

Karnwine

I am in the same position as you - what cable did you buy exactly? I assume you need to have 2 SATA connections on it to plug in the Tivo drive and the new drive at the same time.

I am waiting for my 90 day warranty to expire before I crack open the box ;-)

Peter
plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #1338
Karnwine

Peter,
I used the instructions for copying all recordings in the first page of this thread and there is a link for the USB/Sata cable from NewEgg.com. Being that I'm a little impatient, I went to a local Frys and they had the same one as NewEgg(Just a couple of dollars more). I only had to buy one because I was able to use the plugs from my dvd/cd player for one of the drives. Simple and easy! You won't regret doing it.

By the way, my TivoHD was just about full of recordings and it only took about 2 1/2 hours to transfer everything.

Last edited by Karnwine : 05-22-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Karnwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #1339
gotillu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnwine View Post
Peter,
I used the instructions for copying all recordings in the first page of this thread and there is a link for the USB/Sata cable from NewEgg.com. Being that I'm a little impatient, I went to a local Frys and they had the same one as NewEgg(Just a couple of dollars more). I only had to buy one because I was able to use the plugs from my dvd/cd player for one of the drives. Simple and easy! You won't regret doing it.

By the way, my TivoHD was just about full of recordings and it only took about 2 1/2 hours to transfer everything.
I too spent last night to upgrade my TivoHD with a 1TB internal (WD10EACS) and a 750GB eSata (Seagate) drive. I have 231 Hrs of HD recording capacity now. Thanks to Spike and others on the forum for wonderful instructions to make it so easy. For me, it took about 3.5 hrs to copy the original 160GB drive (it was almost full).
gotillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #1340
plumeria

The WD10EVCS seems to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone if I can use the retail boxed version of what seems to be the WD10EACS for a TivoHD (not a Series 3)

This has the name WD1000CSRTL - e.g.as can be seen here
http://www.jr.com/western-digital/pe/WD_WD10000CSRTL/

The only thing I can find in this thread is this comment "The current version of the Western Digital 1TB WD10000CSRTL (retail bare drive) will not work as an internal drive upgrade for the TiVo Series3.", but no mention of TivoHD.

Thanks

peter
Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #1341
c3
TiVoholic

Works fine in TiVo HD. You can get a WD10EACS on eBay for $175 shipped, from a seller with very good rating.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #1342
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
The WD10EVCS seems to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone if I can use the retail boxed version of what seems to be the WD10EACS for a TivoHD (not a Series 3)

This has the name WD1000CSRTL - e.g.as can be seen here
http://www.jr.com/western-digital/pe/WD_WD10000CSRTL/

The only thing I can find in this thread is this comment "The current version of the Western Digital 1TB WD10000CSRTL (retail bare drive) will not work as an internal drive upgrade for the TiVo Series3.", but no mention of TivoHD.

Thanks

peter
I actually have this drive. Bought at the same place you linked to (JR). Same retail package. Works great in Tivo HD.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #1343
thomaslue

Antec MX-1 for $25

I am seeing deals on the Antec MX-1 for $25. I just noticed that the ads say the maximum capacity is 750GB. But I thought I've read here that people are putting 1 TB drives in this enclosure. Also: I know this is off-topic, but I am curious of anyone knows what the throughput (transfer) speed of this Antec MX-1 is (compared to, say, a Firewire 400 enclosure). I ask because I am considering getting a second one for computer use.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #1344
ilh

Transfer speed when using eSATA is 3Gb/s according to Antec's web site. That's just SATA-II speed. Obviously the disk is the limiting factor. It also said it supports up to 1TB.

You'd be surprised what you can find in the first hit of a Google search for "Antec MX-1".
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #1345
thomaslue

Thanks for the link. The real number I was looking for was the USB transfer speed (480Mbps) since my Macs don't have eSata ports or cards.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #1346
plumeria

Thanks to those who helped with my with recent question about the retail WD 1TB drive and TivoHD. I ended up ordering from B&H.

BTW, The Antec MX-1 is already sold out on buy.com ;-( Second time I have tried to pick it up at a discount and second time it was sold out when adding to cart. I guess they only have a few in stock..

peter
Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #1347
thomaslue

refurbished WD10EACS

Does anyone have experience with a refurbished WD10EACS 1TB SATA?
The price ($156.23) is right, but the warranty is only 30 days...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #1348
ilh

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It isn't worth saving ~$50. Why was it returned? Do you really not want a 3-year warranty?
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #1349
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslue View Post
Does anyone have experience with a refurbished WD10EACS 1TB SATA?
The price ($156.23) is right, but the warranty is only 30 days...
I agree w/ilh...it's not worth the risk.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #1350
lrhorer

+1 for my $.02, as well. Hard drives are just too frail to take that sort of risk for that small an amount of cash, if you ask me, unless you really are very unconcerned about its lifespan and that of its contents.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote